Heroscapers

Heroscapers (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/index.php)
-   HeroScape General Discussion (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Cracked Terrain (https://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=56376)

robbdaman November 20th, 2019 02:58 PM

Cracked Terrain

Was taking apart a map I build over the weekend last night and two of my 24 hex very old terrain was having major issues and just cracked right apart in some places. One drastically cracked along three areas taking chunks out of the interlocking side and cracking across hexes. I know there are other threads out there about this issue, just wanted to whine :( since this was my first time it happened. Old 24 hex grass tiles so probably the oldest I own. I superglued them for now, if it gets any worse I'll have to use them for customizing.

White Knight November 20th, 2019 04:16 PM

Re: Cracked Terrain

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbdaman (Post 2334531)
Was taking apart a map I build over the weekend last night and two of my 24 hex very old terrain was having major issues and just cracked right apart in some places. One drastically cracked along three areas taking chunks out of the interlocking side and cracking across hexes. I know there are other threads out there about this issue, just wanted to whine :( since this was my first time it happened. Old 24 hex grass tiles so probably the oldest I own. I superglued them for now, if it gets any worse I'll have to use them for customizing.

Yes, it's happened to me. I try not to put the 24 hexes next to each other.

robbdaman November 20th, 2019 04:56 PM

Something to keep in mind for the future.

Ulysses November 20th, 2019 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbdaman (Post 2334543)

Let me know if you need them replaced, I've got tons of 24hex grass and rock.

Dad_Scaper November 21st, 2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulysses (Post 2334588)
Quote:

That's very kind of you, Ulysses.

I've had a bunch of 1, 2, and 3 hex pieces crack similarly. So far, my 24 hexers are safe. Glue has held, where I've used it, though I do try to avoid using those pieces when I can.

robbdaman November 21st, 2019 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulysses (Post 2334588)
Quote:

Very kind of you to offer. I have a lot more, I was just surprised it so drastically broke.

Ulysses November 21st, 2019 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper (Post 2334730)
I've had a bunch of 1, 2, and 3 hex pieces crack similarly. So far, my 24 hexers are safe. Glue has held, where I've used it, though I do try to avoid using those pieces when I can.

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbdaman (Post 2334734)

Very kind of you to offer. I have a lot more, I was just surprised it so drastically broke.

I have my 'pile of shame' in the basement where the mangled terrain of yore has gone to rest until I get desperate enough to glue some. It's honestly a relief when it's just grass or rock that cracks, BftU terrain cracking is what really makes me upset haha.

Dad_Scaper November 21st, 2019 08:21 PM

Aww. I glue them when they break. That's the easiest time, for me, because that way I can put them back in the right box while the boxes are still out.

Darth Vader November 30th, 2019 06:55 PM

I've discovered this issue lately. I lost a huge chuck of my collection in a house fire last year, but, luckily, a relative of mine happened to find his old collection in storage and wanted to get rid of it, so he gave it to me. I finally busted it out this afternoon, and after about 5 minutes of map building, my hand busted through three water tiles. All three tiles that broke appeared to be older and slightly discolored.

Out of curiosity, I ran out to my garage where the sad remains of my old collection remain in an ash covered box. That box, containing mostly extra basic terrain, somehow came out of my house fire unscathed. I pulled out a few water tiles, and again I had one break apart quickly. It was discolored like the other 3 I'd broken earlier. The other water tiles I pulled out looked "newer" and didn't break on me at all.

However, throughout the rest of my map-building, I didn't have a problem. It appears that the older sets have been breaking on me more so than the newer sets.

twilkerson January 6th, 2020 10:57 AM

I just posted a new thread. The plastic in my RoTV sets have become extremely brittle. It's breaking my heart. I'm currently searching for alternative terrain methods. Right now I'm printing free online d&d square grid maps at 1.25 inches. It's awkward, but it saves my expensive terrain.

Tornado January 6th, 2020 11:11 AM

The maps from Magic AotP are great for a base layer.
I suggest a 3D printer. They are quite affordable now especially if you wait for a sale.
We have a growing 3D community with White Knight leading the charge.

Muskie January 6th, 2020 11:30 AM

heat, smoky houses and sun all can make things brittle. When you buy stuff from others, ask about storage and treatment. I got a set from a smoky house when I first started collecting and quickly learned how brittle some pieces can be. Discolored water is an easy indicator that things were stored poorly.