Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:18 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
DW 7000

I'm new to these boards granted, but not to heroscape by any means. I've been kicking around the forums for a few days now and I've noticed that DW 7000 seems to get NO love at all.

Now to be fair he does have some draw backs, one life (the bane of all DW) jumps right out, and a mediocre attack of 3. Hell I can even justify straying away from his only ability as it leaves him dead and basically comes down to luck of the roll.

But Like I said I'm not new to the game and when I Jandar's Oath he was (and still is one of) my favorite cards. For a modest 100 points (spit in the well for most heroes) you get:
1) A unit with 6 move + 7 defense + STEALTHDODGE making him an AMAZING glyph holder.
2) the (very good) potential to blow away a group of 1 heath figures. So ANY unit (SOJ come instantly to mind, Tagawa are another) is rendered basically helpless from the blast.
3) the (outside) chance of blowing away pretty much other ANY hero. In particular the 4 health heroes as only 16 or higher is needed. And for 100 points the (1 in 4) CHANCE of killing q9 is pretty damn sweet.

So yea, I can understand not giving madd props to a figure that much more luck biased than anything else but DW7000 is more versatile than just "charge and explode", and I think he merits a LITTLE more respect. Certainly he deserves better than a freakin’ F on the "power ranking" thread...

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old February 22nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
I concur on his glyph-holding abilities. I have considered drafting him as the attacking player in the Volcarren Stone scenario, just to hold Valda.

Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM

Baconsteak has disabled reputation
He's a little expensive when you consider that you INTEND to get him killed to do his job... its tough to justify spending points on such an iffy prospect... but at the same time, I have fun with him on occasion just to spice up the battlefield with something different.

He's not used often but I usually have fun walking my little bomb around scaring opponents.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 11:28 PM

The Malicious Pigpig has disabled reputation
DW 7K is my little brother's (12 yrs old) favorite unit to use in most games, especially700 pt+ games, as his meager 100 points is expendable in this case. I completely dread DW 7K's presence in a game where I am using multiple squads, (which is most of the time), because he(brother) has yet to miss the roll of the 20 sider. This, understandably, drives me absolutely mental.
For months, neither of us ever considered him as a draftable unit as he killed himself in the process. Once my Bro tried him in a small 400 pt scirmish, I was certain that I had ensured victory with my 2 squads of ashra, tagawa, 2 squads of 4th mass, and Guilty McCeech. Needless to say my ashra were completely crushed(1 1/2 squads) The rest of his army was solid and I was humiliated by losing the Dork walker. DW 7K is a force to be reconed with for certain. If his self destruct is successful, your squads are gone for sure.

The mind is a terrible thing to taste.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation
He is a good glyph holder, with his high defense. If you can afford him, that makes him worthwhile. Also if your opponent surrounds him with a squad to take him out, the self-destruct can be devastating. I don't draft him a lot, because I'm not really a big robot fan and don't field a lot of soulberg armies, but generally I've been surprised every time I've drafted him.

Not one step backwards!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM

toddrew has disabled reputation
Re: DW 7000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd Stev
I'm new to these boards granted, but not to heroscape by any means. I've been kicking around the forums for a few days now and I've noticed that DW 7000 seems to get NO love at all.

/snip/

So yea, I can understand not giving madd props to a figure that much more luck biased than anything else but DW7000 is more versatile than just "charge and explode", and I think he merits a LITTLE more respect. Certainly he deserves better than a freakin’ F on the "power ranking" thread...
Well, there you go, a little love

And here's (a little) more:
Like, The Malicious Pigpig hinted, the bigger the army point totals, the better one can incorporate DW7000 into one's gameplan. If scenarios are a little more complex in objective than simply last man standing, it is also a specialized unit that may be of use (glyph holding, assasinations, etc.), also good to infiltrate and soften up an enemy before running the rest of your army in (but again, more useful with a bit more than 400 or 500 points at one's disposal).

I think if its blast radius was two hexes instead of just one, it would get a lot more play, but I haven't put a lot of thought into that and it may be too powerful for 100 points. With his "area of influence", if you will, at only 7 hexes, hard to do damage equal to his points unless one can position him amongst a few high priced squad members. He should also have disengage - good tactic against him without it is to tie him up with a cheap squad figure, like an Izumi, so DW7000 doesn't have a lot of good options.

The F rating in that thread is due to his unpredictable nature, making it an unreliable choice for tournament play, especially with the vast majority of point totals being in the 400-500 range.

Hey, welcome to the boards, Dredd Stev!

And you can see her
Before it cracks and goes out
She throws rocks at streetlights
Keeps the streetlight changer busy

Floundering Customs Thread
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:06 AM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Everytime I use him he blows.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse
Everytime I use him he blows.
Why do I bother with in-depth analysis

hats off

And you can see her

Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:41 AM

playa1 knows what's in an order marker playa1 knows what's in an order marker
I always liked those figures most people dis on the site, and I gave DW7000 a chance. As such, though, I rarely use him. I like his high defense, and stealth dodge ability. I would never consider using his self-destruct ability. I really really wish he was 80 points without the self-destruct ability.

I intended to use DW7000 competitively when I was finding myself facing high range armies. Being frustrated with the Krav kicking my butt, I intended to use him to engage them and tie up their firepower. However, even when I knew he would use the Krav and it would neutralize them, he still seemed expensive for that purpose. There was still a chance he could whiff a 7 dice defense roll, and then he would probably only take out one or two (and not even get his points back).

In any case, I like DW7000, but I cannot really justify using him and though I often considered it, I never have. Hey, Q9 is only 80 points more and is an entire army in and of itself.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If you want a way to hold glyphs look into the Death Reavers. You can get 8 of them for 20 points less than DW7K.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:56 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thanks Todd.

Last time I played him was against Chuckrock and I used him to hold glyphs. He was shot by a lonely Marro who rolled ONE miserable skull...he died of course. Interestingly, I still won the game with my remaining two squads of Sacred Band against Raelin, Krav, Vipers, Guilty and Marro. Pretty weird game.

Before that I "unleashed" him against Jonathan. He blew himself up against some Marro and Blastatrons...causing no damage. Interestingly again, I ended up winning that game with Dund alone against Braxas, Marro, Blastatrons. Another weird one.

I keep winning with typically considered "sucky" units. but when I draft a competitive army, I lose!

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse

I keep winning with typically considered "sucky" units. but when I draft a competitive army, I lose!
I think you solved your own problem there

And, yeah, DW7000 does suffer from "curse of the Deathwalkers" - the lone skull is the most feared roll

And you can see her

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units