Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Old February 17th, 2011, 05:58 PM

Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby!
Cincinnati "Reverse" Tournament Sat 3/26/11

Cincinnati "Reverse" Tournament Sat. 3/26/11

Date: Saturday, March 26, 2011

Time: 10:30ish AM to 5ish PM

10:30-11:30 - Setup/Registration
11:30-12:45 - Round 1 (Normal)
12:55-1:40 - Round 2 (Normal)
1:50-2:35 - Round 3 (Normal)
2:35-2:55 - Longer break (food, RR, etc.)
2:55-3:40 - Round 4 (Reverse)
3:50-4:35 - Round 5 (Reverse)
4:35-5:00 - Prizes/ clean up

Sci-Fi City, Cincinnati (Northgate Mall by Macy's, Exit 33 off I-275)
9527 Colerain Ave
Cincinnati, OH 45251
Store Phone: 513-245-9105

Format: Players bring a pre-drafted 510 point Heroscape army, (no Marvel). Army size is limited to 24 hexes. For the first three rounds, you will play with the army you bring. For the last two rounds, reverse: you will be switching armies with your opponent. Can you beat the army that you brought?

Dice, wound markers, and order markers will be provided, but feel free to bring your own if you prefer. (I have more this time, so we should have plenty either way.)

Glyphs: Glyphs will vary by map. Not all maps will have glyphs, but most of those that do will have treasure glyphs: One communal pool placed before each match. You will never know which ones you have and could possibly have multiples of the same glyph. If you fail to disarm the trap your opponent will roll 3 dice for attack. The following maps will contain standard glyphs as well: Black Gold will have a glyph of Wannok [Wound] and Dagmar [Initiative +eight], Desolation Pass will have a glyph of Gerda [Defense +1], Violation will have two glyphs of Lodin [d20 +1].

Treasure Glyphs:
Holy Symbol of Pelor - Attack +2 vs. Undead (Perm)
Talisman of Defense - Defense +1 (Perm)
Heroic Rune - Attack +1 (Perm)
Brooch of Shielding - Disengage (Perm)
Giant Hunter Stone - Attack & Defense +1 against large or huge (Perm)
Oceanstrider Amulet - Free water movement (Perm)
Belt Of Giant Strength - Attack +2 (Temp)
Bracers of Teleportation - Move 10 spaces (Temp)
Cloak of Invisibility - No visible hit zones (Temp)
Elixir of Speed - Move +4 (Temp)
Potion of Healing - Heal 3 Wounds (Temp)
Ring of Protection - Defense +3 (Temp)
Heroscape Glyphs - The Definitive List

Entry fee/Prizes: No entry fee. If you provide a prize for the prize table, you can pick out one at the end. The top player will pick from the prize table first, etc. Prizes can be anything...Heroscape related, other games or even a gift certificate to somewhere. Sci-Fi City is a full-service game store and does carry Heroscape, and they would probably appreciate your patronage since they are allowing us to use their space. : )

Maps

Attendees
( ). Johnnylama (I will be available to play if needed to round out pairs).
1. Jandar70 (aka Zach)
2. Father of Julian
3. Storm Shadow
4. jschild
5-6. +2 with jschild
7. Beowulf
8. Fire Ninja

Possibles
+2 maybe with Beowulf
outforblood
MattserTruckRally
+1 maybe with Fire Ninja
ravenwolf64
Odin_Osgard+1

Total including possibles: 16

Changes from the Last Tournament:
I'm setting the start time at 11:30 instead of 11 to allow more time for set up. I'm also building in a larger break between rounds 3 and 4 to make sure people (including me) have enough time to get food, go to the restroom, etc.

Also, I discovered the Tournament Director software, which should hopefully simplify the process of setting up matches and boards. I did a dry run with it, and it seemed to work pretty well. I've heard nothing but good things about it.

“Battle is a hard business, sister. Soft training will make for soft soldiers who will in turn become soft corpses.”
― Anthony Ryan, Blood Song

Last edited by Johnnylama; May 17th, 2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:05 AM

Father Of Julian knows what's in an order marker Father Of Julian knows what's in an order marker
Re: Cincinnati "Reverse" Tournament Sat. 3/26/11

The memebers of Heroes And Legions will be in attendence, which includes: Wookie, Father Of Julian, and StormShadow.
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'll have to check my schedule, but put me down as a possible +1

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old February 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Bah - if this was a month later, I'd probably come. I'm going to try to start expanding my horizons (and maybe my drive time) to make some HS tournaments since they seem to be getting farther apart in NE Ohio. Tax season kills this one for me, though.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 19th, 2011, 02:10 PM

Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Mooseman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Put me, Beowulf, and +2 down as possibles.
Old February 21st, 2011, 09:15 PM

Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby! Johnnylama rolls all skulls baby!

I think Dingen's Boiling Point is a good map to add. Any dissenting opinions?

I don't think I mentioned in this thread that the "Reverse" idea is inspired by this year's GenCon Main Event. Day one is played normally, but if you make it to day two, you'll have to play against the army that got you to day two. It seemed like a fun idea. At first I wanted to try six round, three normal and three switched, but I figured that might be too many to squeeze in, so I just switched the last two. That will probably chance the dynamic quite a bit-- instead of a "toss up" army, you'll probably want to bring a "pretty good but not great" army.

With it structured in this way, I think the general strategy should be similar to the GenCon Main Event: You want to bring a good army that will win you some games, but not so good that you can't beat it yourself. Maybe bring something a little out of the ordinary that you know how to play well, so well that you even know its weaknesses.

You could try the "suck" approach: bring something bad, and try to luck out a win or so in the first three rounds, knowing that you'll probably get to whoop up on it in the last two. I don't know how good of an idea that is, but it might be fun.

I have an idea of what I'd like to bring. Here's a hint: NOT Q9+Rats+Raelin!

“Battle is a hard business, sister. Soft training will make for soft soldiers who will in turn become soft corpses.”
Old February 22nd, 2011, 03:18 PM

outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby! outforblood rolls all skulls baby!

Looks interesting...I might have to show up for this one! Love the "reverse" idea.
Put me down as a "more than likely"

SCAPE OR DIE!
Great transactions with: Cavalier,Jim,rudyvalentine,Hilo Scaper,land.scape,Lord Pyre,Cosmo,Hogg,TheSilverSurfer,lefton4ya,Superfrog wargamingaddict87...
Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outforblood View Post
Looks interesting...I might have to show up for this one! Love the "reverse" idea.
Put me down as a "more than likely"
Great! I think I remember you from some of the tourneys Wookie used to run, right?

Old February 23rd, 2011, 07:59 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Great idea - taking from the Gencon 2011 Championship format. At Origins, we plan on doing this too, so looking forward to see how this plays.
Old February 24th, 2011, 11:40 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

Cincinnati is a bit of an easier drive for our group and I'd consider going especially since the weather seems have less snow. You can put me down as a maybe and I'll ask the Columbus Crew if they want to go.

Grenade lobbyist
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:27 PM

Beowulf has disabled reputation

I'm in. Brother of Mooseman and Sister of Beowulf may also be coming.

Does anyone have some Drow they're not going to use? I'm looking at fielding several squads in my army, so if I could borrow some that would be cool. OTOH, after a few more games I may end up not using them...

EDIT: I see my more attentive brother has beaten me to registering us
Old February 24th, 2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattserTruckRally View Post
Cincinnati is a bit of an easier drive for our group and I'd consider going especially since the weather seems have less snow. You can put me down as a maybe and I'll ask the Columbus Crew if they want to go.
Fantastic! I think I better get moving on picking more boards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf View Post
I'm in. Brother of Mooseman and Sister of Beowulf may also be coming.

Does anyone have some Drow they're not going to use? I'm looking at fielding several squads in my army, so if I could borrow some that would be cool. OTOH, after a few more games I may end up not using them...

EDIT: I see my more attentive brother has beaten me to registering us
So are you Yes=2 + 2 maybe? I have you guys down as four maybe.

I have up to three squad of drow you can use if you'd like. Just let me know later for sure if you end up wanting them. They're okay, but not great, which might actually work out in this format. A few of the maps have dungeon tiles too, which might work out.

I'm going to go ahead and add Boiling Point and Fossil.

Last edited by Johnnylama; February 26th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events