Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old April 1st, 2008, 04:20 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Countering the Dodging Door

Recently, WotC ruled in favor of the dodging door. If my Jotun approaches the castle and ends his move adjacent to doorway space No. 1, it's legal for the door's controller to open the door in the "after moving and before attacking" phase of Jotun's turn, moving the door to space No. 3 where it is no longer adjacent to figures outside the castle. This works against all melee attacks.

Swarm of the Marro offers one possible way to fight against this strange exploit. The castle rules tell us that "When the Door is closed, it must be completely closed to occupy the space in the Doorway...." The official FAQ tells us that "you cannot move or touch your opponent’s figures," and also that "you can adjust any figure you control on your turn." Put all that together, and you get this:

That is correct; either of the two "good Stingers" can block the castle door from completely closing. The attacker has two spaces adjacent to the closed door. On the latch side, a Stinger's weapon can just barely keep the door cracked open, but for much better results, you should place your doorstop on the hinge side, where he can get a good grip. Next, approach with Jotun or another battering ram and end your move adjacent to the door's latch side. If the door controller allows you to attack, the Stinger does not need to move. If, on the other hand, your opponent opens the door in order to dodge the blow, quickly reach in and adjust the key Stinger so that his gun barrel lays along the outside face of the door. Now the door will not close completely (which it must) except by moving your Stinger (which it must not). Unlike many Stinger denial situations, in which the opponent can try to wriggle into his chosen space by turning his figure and cheating it to one side within its hex, here there is absolutely no chance to legally close or even half-close the door until you relent and allow it or the doorkeeper is dead.

Enjoy!
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:58 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
Very clever, rdhight.

I think we'll continue to ignore the WotC ruling when playing with the door; but your tactic is another option.
Old April 1st, 2008, 07:59 AM

ugly1hornedmule knows what's in an order marker ugly1hornedmule knows what's in an order marker
Range

But stingers have range so they could attack the open dooranyway, so there is no reason to open it when a stinger is next to it.

Thanks for the last and greatest betrayal, of the last and greatest of human dreams.
-William S. Burroughs
Old April 1st, 2008, 09:00 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Interesting, but yeah, no one I game with would ever resort to the "door dodging" tactic... It may be technically legal, but it's so lame that utilizing the tactic would essentially sour the spirit of the game.

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old April 1st, 2008, 12:56 PM

MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby! MI_Tiger rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Range

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly1hornedmule
But stingers have range so they could attack the open dooranyway, so there is no reason to open it when a stinger is next to it.
The intent is to have your Stinger in place while you bring up a heavy-hitting melee figure (like Jotun). When your opponent opens the door to prevent Jotun's attack, you adjust your Stinger to "doorstop" position.

So the door isn't opening to avoid the Stinger, its to avoid the other figure's melee attack.

Its a clever idea, but hopefully the door dodge isn't used much if ever.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:12 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
I like it! Use one lame tactic to counter another.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:51 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Why couldn't they just rule that you can only open or close the door if it's your turn? I open the door to let my figures out, then I close it. I don't keep it open unless I have to.

By the way, this tactic is clever . And I agree with R˙chean!

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old April 1st, 2008, 01:54 PM

StLouisBear is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHeroscaper
Why couldn't they just rule that you can only open or close the door if it's your turn? I open the door to let my figures out, then I close it. I don't keep it open unless I have to.
You might want to open it to allow a partner enter. Or even as a trap to lure an opponent in for an ambush.

If this were BGG, I'd give rdhight Geek Gold for this counter. It's brilliant.
Old April 1st, 2008, 03:27 PM
Forums Good I Has

J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker
Good idea!!!!!!!!

Old April 1st, 2008, 03:29 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean
I like it! Use one lame tactic to counter another.
For the same reason, I don't like it. Anyone who tries to play either of these tactics too hard won't play with me for long.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:26 PM

Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby! Gomolka rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepybluemonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000
Interesting, but yeah, no one I game with would ever resort to the "door dodging" tactic... It may be technically legal, but it's so lame that utilizing the tactic would essentially sour the spirit of the game.
I think the only way people would play this is if there was cash and babes and street cred and gang turf on the line. But I don't hear about many backalley cash money win the girl underworld Heroscape games. If those exist please someone tell me!

What are you talking about?

In general, the opening/closing of the door to make it difficult or impossible to hit is just arrogant and is a bad example of common courtesy.
Old April 1st, 2008, 10:35 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomolka
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepybluemonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000
I think the only way people would play this is if there was cash and babes and street cred and gang turf on the line. But I don't hear about many backalley cash money win the girl underworld Heroscape games. If those exist please someone tell me!

What are you talking about?
The first rule of Heroscape club is you don't talk about Heroscape club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomolka
In general, the opening/closing of the door to make it difficult or impossible to hit is just arrogant and is a bad example of common courtesy.
That might have been true before this ruling came down. Now that WotC has signed off, we all need to find our own way to deal with it. House-ruling it away is one method. Social pressure on those who do it is another. Trying to fight back against it within the rules is my preferred way. Personally, I use the door as a gunport all the time, but I think the dodging is taking it one step too far. So the more ways we have to avoid it, the better.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's