Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 20th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Looking for a good 2v1 map

Hey guys, I'm scheduled to play the defender in a 2-against-1 type scenario on Saturday. Could some of you folks that hang around here much more regularly than I do possibly make some suggestions on what might be a good choice? Perhaps something with a nice castle to storm or something like that.

I've got plenty of terrain of all types, so that shouldn't be an issue. Doesn't have to be one of those big beautiful world-spanners either, although I certainly love those ... but I don't think I'll be breaking out the order-marker rules mods that make those workable this time.

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:46 AM

Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker
Most of my maps are symmetrical in design... so I'm not sure if I have anything that would help you. A few of them COULD be converted to 2 vs 1 maps... but if you want like a castle siege or something, I probably couldn't help ya out.

You can look through the map indexes if you want to see if there is something there...

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
(Codex downloadable into a spreadsheet for easy self-sorting)
Note to self: One ladder for every TWO levels!!!!!!
Old February 21st, 2008, 11:51 AM

Pygon knows what's in an order marker Pygon knows what's in an order marker
A symmetrical map with a castle in the center MAY serve as a 2 v 1 with the team players attacking from both ends, too. The defending player can use height advantage with ranged attackers to hold them off. Maybe.
Old February 21st, 2008, 12:16 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
Re: Looking for a good 2v1 map

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli
Hey guys, I'm scheduled to play the defender in a 2-against-1 type scenario on Saturday. Could some of you folks that hang around here much more regularly than I do possibly make some suggestions on what might be a good choice? Perhaps something with a nice castle to storm or something like that.

I've got plenty of terrain of all types, so that shouldn't be an issue. Doesn't have to be one of those big beautiful world-spanners either, although I certainly love those ... but I don't think I'll be breaking out the order-marker rules mods that make those workable this time.

Any suggestions?
How many sets do you have? I have a bunch of maps I could show you bu they use quite a bit of terrain.

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:12 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Symmetrical or not doesn't much matter to me. I do want something with some height (other than the castle, if there is a castle) ... I don't think flat maps are as interesting.

And, yes, I've spent quite a bit of time poking around the downloads area, but I was hoping someone would jump in and go "hey! I know just the map!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAROCEAN980
How many sets do you have? I have a bunch of maps I could show you bu they use quite a bit of terrain.
Oh, I dunno exactly ... 6 or 8 RotV, 2 or 3 VW and the same in TT, maybe 3 or 4 RttFF, probably 3 or 4 FotA ... at least 1 SotM, although I think I bought another one that I haven't even opened yet. 1 Marvel. An extra set of sparkly water from HouseMouse. And I have the water and lava lexans. I think I should be able to build most things ... certainly not anything Dr. Weirdscaper would put in the extreme maps thread, but then I don't want anything that big for this time out anyway. Don't have the time for that.

I totally need to make a Virtualscape file of all my tiles so I can see exactly what I do have. Maybe I can do that this weekend. After game day, of course.

Quote:
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?

Why I Left the C3V
Old February 22nd, 2008, 02:47 AM

Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker
Xotli,

Just want to clarify (if you didn't know already) that the maps I was referencing to in the map indexes are the ones found at the site in my sig. I just wanted to make sure you understood what I meant when I said 'map indexes.'

Just clearing that up. Hope your search continues to go well.

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 05:37 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadi
Just want to clarify (if you didn't know already) that the maps I was referencing to in the map indexes are the ones found at the site in my sig. I just wanted to make sure you understood what I meant when I said 'map indexes.'
Ahhh, no I did not catch that, so thanx for clarifying.

So I poked around a bit, and man, you got a lotta maps there. And they're all quite spiffy, which is pretty amazing to me--usually you get either quantity or quality, not both. It'll take me a while to really go through them. Same as the maps in the downloads area here, which is one of the reasons I was hoping to circumvent the whole clicking and downloading and pondering and then moving on to the next one process by asking for pointers. Altho, I gotta give you props for the layout with the thumbnails; that is way better than the downloads area here. Wonder if we could implement something along those lines ourselves .... hmmm ....

Anyways, the other thing that makes it tough to find the exact map you're looking for is the way we all organize our maps (i.e., by number of MSes). Now, I know why we all do this, and I'm not saying it's bad: I certainly can't think of any better way. But, at this exact moment, I'm looking for a map to do a certain job, and I could care less how many MSes it takes (as long as it doesn't take more than I have, which is a fairly liberal number). But, as I say, I don't necessarily know how to fix that.

Also, I have to say that--just as a personal preference, mind you!--I generally prefer to have the starting zones and glyphs put in for me. (And, again, this is certainly not to single you out; this is something that a lot of mapmakers are doing more and more these days.) Now, I did read your FAQ, and I undersand where you're coming from. But allow me to offer a counter-perspective: Basically, if I don't like where you put your zones or glyphs, I can move them/remove them/expand them. But perhaps I'm not bright enough to figure out where to put them in myself. I mean, sometimes it's obvious, but there are certainly maps out there where proper glyph placement and/or proper starting zone placement makes the map play much better than dumb ol' me just taking a random guess.

But, those are just some thoughts from a decidedly not mapmaking person. Do with them as you will. You've definitely got a great resource there, and I'm glad you pointed me at it. So thanx a bill(ion)!

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM

NP, glad it was (maybe) helpful.

Yeah, I realized when I started putting the site together there that not doing starting zones / glyphs was probably not going to be something that was well like by a good number of people... and I can totally understand that. Usually when people make maps, they have an idea of where everything needs to be to really best suit that map to the type of play they are trying to get across for that particular map.

I guess for our group, we change it up all the time when we play... we are constantly changing the glyph placements (if any), where we start, and map scenario rules... so I think by the time I got around to putting the maps together, I just decided to make it pretty 'open' for players to decide what they wanted to do in terms of placement, glyphs, and scenarios.

Sometimes it works well... but other times, it doesn't.

So, maybe you'll find something that you can use. If not, I do appreciate the comments and constructive criticism (which is very helpful, I might add...) about the site.

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
Old February 22nd, 2008, 12:58 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xotli
Symmetrical or not doesn't much matter to me. I do want something with some height (other than the castle, if there is a castle) ... I don't think flat maps are as interesting.

And, yes, I've spent quite a bit of time poking around the downloads area, but I was hoping someone would jump in and go "hey! I know just the map!"

Quote:
Oh, I dunno exactly ... 6 or 8 RotV, 2 or 3 VW and the same in TT, maybe 3 or 4 RttFF, probably 3 or 4 FotA ... at least 1 SotM, although I think I bought another one that I haven't even opened yet. 1 Marvel. An extra set of sparkly water from HouseMouse. And I have the water and lava lexans. I think I should be able to build most things ... certainly not anything Dr. Weirdscaper would put in the extreme maps thread, but then I don't want anything that big for this time out anyway. Don't have the time for that.

I totally need to make a Virtualscape file of all my tiles so I can see exactly what I do have. Maybe I can do that this weekend. After game day, of course.
Alright! Sounds like we have the same idea(I don't like flat maps ether).

I would post them but, it's probably easier to check my map thread(click the picture in my sig). I would recommend Fort Omaha, as it's a good assault type map where you could have 2 attackers 1 defender. Or 1 attacker 2 defenders . I like having 1 player guard the main fortress while another guards the far off canyon door.
Also I have Electric delta and Sea gate, though they're rather small. The best 3+ player map I have is Arcadia Colosseum. Though you said 8 ms. If you have 9 try that one hands down.
The other ones that could work for 3 are The Kirlsa Training Facility, Gemity and Forest Sanctum.
Check'em out!

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old February 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadi
NP, glad it was (maybe) helpful.

Yeah, I realized when I started putting the site together there that not doing starting zones / glyphs was probably not going to be something that was well like by a good number of people... and I can totally understand that. Usually when people make maps, they have an idea of where everything needs to be to really best suit that map to the type of play they are trying to get across for that particular map.

I guess for our group, we change it up all the time when we play... we are constantly changing the glyph placements (if any), where we start, and map scenario rules... so I think by the time I got around to putting the maps together, I just decided to make it pretty 'open' for players to decide what they wanted to do in terms of placement, glyphs, and scenarios.

Sometimes it works well... but other times, it doesn't.

So, maybe you'll find something that you can use. If not, I do appreciate the comments and constructive criticism (which is very helpful, I might add...) about the site.
That sounds just like me and my maps!

Hey Xolti, if you need start zones for my maps just ask and I'll tell you where. It's just a massive pain to go back and add them, then upload them, then post them.

Yeah, I'm lazy.

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old February 22nd, 2008, 08:03 PM
Search and Rescue Expert

Quote:
I would recommend Fort Omaha, as it's a good assault type map where you could have 2 attackers 1 defender. Or 1 attacker 2 defenders .
Yep, saw that one. Good map, but a bit ambitious for what I had in mind for tomorrow.

Quote:
Also I have Electric delta and Sea gate, though they're rather small.
No, no, small is good. I had actually picked out Sea Gate as a possibility. Still may try that. Another possibility from your maps is Seaside Lock.

A good possibility from Nadi's maps is Lorian's Outpost. If only that structure in the middle were just a bit bigger! Then it'd be pretty much perfect for what I'm looking for. But maybe I can tweak it a bit ... although, honestly, I pretty much suck at that.

Because I suck at building maps. Which is why I come here and prostrate myself at the feet of you mapbuilding giants. I'm so glad you guys are here, otherwise I'd be pretty much stuck with what Hasbro gives us.

Quote:
The other ones that could work for 3 are The Kirlsa Training Facility, Gemity and Forest Sanctum.
Check'em out!
You know, I actually thought Kirlsa was really, really cool. I hope to make it one day--I think it pretty much fits almost exactly the number and types of terrain I have (well, except for the swamp and the concrete, since those are newer). But, as I say, it's a bit much for tomorrow's game. Looking for something a little less imposing, and a little less painful to set up.

But, as I say, never imagine that just because I haven't found that exact map I'm looking for doesn't mean I don't appreciate all the fantastic maps I've been looking at! You guys are all awesome. It just so happens that ATM I have a very specific need.

Quote:

Why I Left the C3V
Old February 23rd, 2008, 01:13 AM

If you feel that you can make any of our maps better with a little work done to them, I openly encourage you to do so!!! Castles are one area that I lack at a lot... so maybe you could come up with a better design.

Also, 'Canyon War' came to mind today when I was thinking about this map. Have you looked at that one as well? I'm not sure if it fits, but we have played that one 2 vs 1 before.

Visit the SHS Map Codex!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios