Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old December 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM

DoesntCompute has disabled reputation
I think I'm a Scrooge

First of all let me tell you what I love about Christmas. I love spending time with my family. I love seeing relatives I haven't seen in awhile. I love seeing the joy in my kid's faces when they see the presents under the tree. I love finding the perfect gift for my wife that leaves her speechless. I love celebrating the birth of Jesus. I enjoy singing Christmas carols, having snow on Christmas morning, sledding, and getting into snowball fights with my kids.

Now, on to what I hate about Christmas. I hate hearing Christmas carols or seeing Christmas decorations in stores before Thanksgiving. I boycott retail stores (mostly all) that put their decorations up early. I hate Black Friday. A bunch of people getting up obscenely early to beat each other up to save a few bucks just torques me off. I made the mistake of venturing out one year on Black Friday and seriously wanted to kill someone, anyone, by the time I got home.

I hate the expectation that I will donate to every charity that puts a tin cup in my face at this time of year. I hate feeling like I'm a bad person when I don't. I give generously to charity all year and even more so at this time of year. I am not a bad person because I don't give to the 3rd blanket/food/coat drive I've seen that day dangit.

I hate office parties. There, I said it. I am friends with some of the people I work with. I like many more but there are some I really don't care for. I don't want to have to pretend for a couple of hours that I'm all buddy-buddy with them when I'm not. I would rather spend that time with my family. I hate office chearleaders. This is a year round hatred but they seem to come out of the woodwork at Christmas. I'm at work to do a job, I don't want to do a group hug every fifteen minutes. I hate secret santa/white elephant gift exchanges. Look, I like getting gifts as much as the next guy but a gift doesn't mean squat unless it is given by someone who knows you/cares about you. I always end up with some piece of junk that never gets used and I end up throwing away 6 months later.

I hate shopping in general and at this time of year in particular. When I go shopping, I know what I want. I want to go to the store, get the things I want, and get out. I hate having to fight crowds. I hate a two freaking-hour commute to get into and out of the mall. Don't get me started on Wal-Mart...10 minutes there and I want to go super smiley face on somebody.

/rant off

I like Christmas cookies.

Amazing grace how sweet the sound
that saved a wretch like me
I once was blind but now I see
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If you're a Scrooge, so am I.

I hate:

Christmas Carols
Mall Santa
Gaudy Decorations
Generic Holiday Greetings
Christmas Carols
Christmas Junk Mail
Office Parties
House Lights
Holiday Traffic
'Christmas Spirit'
Gift Exchanges
Christmas Carols

There's so much I hate about Christmas that it's my #1 least favorite time of the year. I don't celebrate the holiday. I survive it.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old December 12th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
If you're a Scrooge, so am I.

I hate:

Christmas Carols
Mall Santa
Gaudy Decorations
Christmas Carols
Christmas Junk Mail
Office Parties
House Lights
Holiday Traffic
'Christmas Spirit'
Gift Exchanges
Christmas Carols

There's so much I hate about Christmas that it's my #1 least favorite time of the year. I don't celebrate the holiday. I survive it.
I don't see holiday cards on there, so I'm still sending you your mail.

~

So far, I've always enjoyed the season.
It's not my favorite holiday, but I do love the house lights. Every other mechanical contraption I can do without. I just like the colored house lights.

There's still a lot of mileage of enjoyment I can get from the holiday through my three young children.
My oldest really enjoyed decorating the tree this year.

Any negatives would be shopping, the traveling we have to do to visit all the relatives, and the lugging of presents up and down from the cabin. Otherwise, I don't mind the season yet.

Two years ago I really was into the holiday music. I hadn't listened to Christmas music forever and I've spent the last two years enjoying listening to the all-holiday music on the radio. This year, it hasn't been as enjoyable. There are just a couple songs I anticipate.
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:21 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
Your not a scrouge, your normal!
Seriously, that's EXACTLY like my dad is.

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old December 12th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by STAROCEAN980
Your not a scrouge, your normal!
Seriously, that's EXACTLY like my dad is.
Maybe your dad isn't normal.
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:04 PM

moorific is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
I hate:

Christmas Carols
Mall Santa
Gaudy Decorations
Christmas Carols
Christmas Junk Mail
Office Parties
House Lights
Holiday Traffic
'Christmas Spirit'
Gift Exchanges
Christmas Carols
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:21 PM
has been BANNED

The Super Atheist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
gift cards I hate.

Black friday or what ever, i've never been to a black friday sale, but you don't have to go. If you don't want to wait for 5 hours that's fine.

I like looking at a fully lit tree in the dark, and setting up army men on it. You got a crack squad of commandos attacking the tree vs. another crack squad of commandos defending the tree.

and every single year someone drops an ornament and it breaks, spreading those tiny shards of glass everywhere.

God or no god, I'm taking advantage of free presents.
Old December 12th, 2007, 04:49 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
You should celebrate Festivus instead.
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I can sympathize with you on a lot of that. Totally not Scruge-worthy.

This is one of my favorite holidays because of all the things my family does for and with one another.
Old December 12th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
I don't see holiday cards on there, so I'm still sending you your mail.
I really look forward to your card, and I kind of like getting cards from people who didn't get their pictures taken in matching sweaters. Or pajamas - we got one from my daughter's friend's family where they were all in matching PJs. The only way anyone is getting a shot of me in pajamas is if you drug me so you can get them on me. Otherwise you just get a picture of me in my drawers and tattered bathrobe.

Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:31 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
I'm reading this in English class! Isn't it Scrooge?

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old December 12th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Man Genius

Yes, technically it's spelled 'Scrooge.' But I never bother to correct accidental spelling errors unless they are 1) extremely egregious or 2) funny.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General