Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old August 17th, 2015, 07:36 PM

rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby!
Hit-points 'Scape: Turning the strategy up and the luck down

If you are interested in playing a version of Heroscape where actual strategy rather than luck prevails, please read on.

Though broken units are a major flaw with official Heroscape, the more fundamental problem to making game play more strategic is the all-or-nothing nature of the wound system; a squad figure has 1 life - after defending, he is either completely unscathed or completely destroyed. A system that allows for partial wounds is needed.

Another problem is that there needs to be finer gradients between attack and defense values. Increasing one's attack or defense by just a single die is a rather big deal. There needs to be a way to make smaller adjustments, 1/4 of an attack die, or 3/4 of a defense die, for instance. Having these more finely tuned attack and defense values makes it possible to create units and special powers with more variety and overall balance.

My first step in creating a completely new system of game play was to address these two problems. I started with the Sisyphus damage tables and converted the wound system of tracking damage into a hit-points based system where 1 wound or 1 life = 20 HP. In my system, squad figures usually have 20 HP. I took the Sisyphus average-damage table and converted it to the 20-HP system - see below.

My next step was to address the second problem - the need for finer-grain attack and defense values. To do so, I first inserted columns and rows between each attack and defense value from the Sisyphus table. I doubled all of the original values (e.g., 3 attack became 6 attack) and inserted new, "in-between" values in the columns and rows I had created.

I actually ended up doing this a second time so that all of the original attack and defense values ended up being multiplied by 4. So for example, an attack value of 3 in official 'Scape became an attack value of 12 in the HP-20 system. An attack value of 14 in my system would be like having 3.5 attack (14/4 = 3.5) in official 'Scape. See below:

Now I have a base damage table that allows for partial damaging of squad figures and a much finer-grained calculation of damage in general. At this point, I needed to reintroduce variance into the equation - a slight, variable increase or decrease to the base damage to determine the actual damage inflicted each attack.

In the Sisyphus tables, the variance of damage inflicted increases as the number of dice being rolled increases, and I modeled this same effect in my system via the d4, d6, or d8 variance dice (see below). Though calculating damage is about to get a little complex, I've created a damage calculator in MS Excel that handles all of this instantaneously; nothing has to be done with real dice or added up manually, so it's not tedious.

• When attacking (normally or with a special attack) or defending, base damage is modified via variance dice.
• If the attack number is <=7, both players use a d4 variance die.
• If the attack number is 8-11, both players use a d6 variance die.
• If the attack number is >=12, both players use a d8 variance die.
• Higher variance die rolls are desirable when rolling a variance die offensively (higher rolls add damage).
• Lower variance die rolls are desirable when rolling a variance die defensively (lower rolls decrease damage).

What I've described above is the fundamental contribution of this post. It creates a way for every attack to inflict some damage because "partial wounds" are now possible. It also reduces the overall variance of damage inflicted, so the game is less dicey or luck-based, if you will. On top of that, it allows for customizing units' attack and defense values to be something in between the official values. If you have no interest in playing with custom units or rules, but simply want a less luck-based game, using the system I described above would do it for you.

There are several other aspects of my version of Heroscape that I do not have the time to detail here, but I have described them in a Rule Book that my friends and I use. I've also created a damage calculator, army calculator, and entirely re-designed all units, which is all contained in one MS Excel File.

Other significant aspects of my system include:
-Changes to rules governing order markers that force one to use a diversity of units each round rather than dumping all order markers on one or two powerful units.
Spoiler Alert!

-The addition of a "react" attribute to all units and "reaction markers" that may be used to respond to an opponent's move phase, attack phase, or the newly-created reaction phase. Essentially, the React attribute is similar to the Move attribute, but is smaller and allows units to move by their reaction number when a reaction marker is revealed on their army card. There are several new special powers that take advantage of reaction markers as well (e.g., "Reaction Strike").
Spoiler Alert!

-The addition of a new category of special power called "Actions." Actions may be used during your turn, before your move phase begins, by any unit that will not take a turn during your turn. Actions are essentially a specific thing that a unit may do on your turn other than moving and attacking. For example, Kumiko has a sneaking action:
A(1): Sneak
Kumiko may move up to 4 spaces if she ends her action phase at least 4 spaces from all enemy figures who have clear sight of her.

So here, if Kumiko doesn't receive an order marker, she may perform the Sneak action before you activate some other unit with an order marker. She may do this once per round (the number inside the parentheses in the title of the action).
Spoiler Alert!

-The addition of attack and defense bonus dice that increase offense or defense for various positional or tactical advantages other than height (e.g. Overwhelm: When the defending figure is engaged by at least two other enemy figures than the attacker, the attacker receives one d6 attack bonus die).
Spoiler Alert!

-The addition of status effects that temporarily affect figures, such as strength/weaken, blind, poison, bleed, burn, quickness, agility, etc.
Spoiler Alert!

-The ability for all units to restore damage by "treating" themselves and a new attribute, treat, that relates to how much each unit can heal.
Spoiler Alert!

-Minor tweaks to the way that falling damage, lava damage, disengagement damage, etc., are calculated.

-My version of Heroscape can be played by placing order markers at the beginning of the round as one would expect, but my friend and I have found that the game is so strategic and balanced, that playing without order markers is more fun. Instead of trying to foresee how the game will flow and plan ahead, the skill is more about trying to envision your best possible move, attack, action, or reaction every step of the way in real time.

Conclusion
If anyone would like further detail or clarification than my MS Word and Excel files provide, I'll be happy to Skype or play a game over Skype.

I won't be responding to anyone's criticisms if they aren't constructive.

Last edited by rouby44; August 24th, 2015 at 07:59 PM.
Old August 17th, 2015, 08:00 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth
Re: Chess 'Scape

So, you don't like Heroscape and you don't like people. OK. I'm not sure this is the site you're looking for.
Old August 17th, 2015, 08:02 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I like chess and scape, but why would you say 95% aren't intelligent enough to get it. I don't understand why you needed to add that. The negative Conclusion won't get you anyone to play with I would assume. It is however a cool idea. I also like to keep my board games interesting.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old August 17th, 2015, 08:58 PM

rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
So, you don't like Heroscape and you don't like people. OK. I'm not sure this is the site you're looking for.
I haven't been active on this site in years, but all I can remember is having great ideas being attacked by people with the intellect of a 5-year-old who couldn't comprehend them, so excuse my cynicism.

I'm just putting this out there on the off chance that someone who is tired of a child's game might enjoy it. I could care less whether anyone does or not.
Old August 17th, 2015, 09:24 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

It looks interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Last edited by quozl; August 18th, 2015 at 09:04 AM. Reason: Thanks for changing your tone.
Old August 17th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Just an fyi, I'm keeping an eye on this thread and will lock it if it devolves into a flame war. Don't get me wrong, dude's asking for it, but it's better to just ignore it and let it die a natural death.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Last edited by IAmBatman; August 18th, 2015 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Though I'm glad to see the OP get an edit here.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions