Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media
Other Media Books, Music, Movies, Television, Comics, etc.

Old August 14th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Argent has disabled reputation
Book: His Dark Materials

I recently picked up the collected version of Philip Pullman's series that starts with The Golden Compass. I bought it in preperation for the release of the movie later this year, and on the advice of a friend. I was wondering if anyone here had read these books, and what they thought of them.

So far, and I'm only about 70 pages into it, it seems ok. It started off slow, and had me felling like I missed a book before this, but it has picked up now. I'm looking forward to see where this all goes.
Old August 14th, 2007, 02:58 PM

dragonfire has disabled reputation
I read them a few years ago. They rocked.

My Signature
Old August 15th, 2007, 09:51 PM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
I've read all three of them, and the first was by far my favorite. While they're all exceptionally well written the direction the third one took and the preachy-ness of it's message was a bit of a let down for me. Still, I look foreward to the movie being released this winter...
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:15 PM

Azshara_lock has disabled reputation
I picked theese up aswell and enjoyed them quite a bit.
Old August 16th, 2007, 03:21 PM

morgost has disabled reputation
I’ve read all of them and they were amazing. I thought the first and second books were the best out of the trilogy. I hope they don’t butcher the books with the movie. I never really pictured Nicole kiddman as that part but hey you never know. I think the whole idea of the book is very unique and don’t think I’ve read something similar to it before. How far are you into it for those who have just started reading it?
Old August 17th, 2007, 07:52 PM

oni is surprisingly tart
Hum. I must be the only one who read all three and wasn't very impressed by them at all. Cool talking/fighting Polar bear, but not much else there for me to take away. Moorcock, Zelazeny, Donaldson, Duncan, Eddings, Tolkien, and others have done so much more with their books.

(Sigh) just my 2 cents.

Feed the newbs! Link to a common HS topic in your signature.
Storage ideas
What Should I get next?
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
How far are you into it for those who have just started reading it?
Not to give too much away, incase someone hasn't got to where I am yet...I;m at a part shortly after they meet the Polar Bear. Chapter 14
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:36 AM

Fl0ydski Woo who?
I just finished the second book The Subtle Knife in audio form. (Read by the Author). And I am about to start on the 3rd and final story.

I also bought them after seeing the preview of The Golden Compass.

I must say that I have found them pretty good so far. I really like how the author is mixing the different world aspect(I won't say more, as it is further revealed in the second book).

I think this series is a nice mix of the grand sweeping epic of the Narnia series. (And has that feel to the storytelling). And thematically, or should I say the religious underpinnings are much more overt than even was in the C.S.Lewis's books. And it has the darker edginess that the later Harry Potter books had(Book 3 & on). While the tale is related (mostly)from the point of view of a child. So you get this simple, straightforward and sometimes brilliant unfolding of the tale & narration that is not too far different than The Little Prince. With a bit of quirky oddness, it is a "Fairytale" after all, that reminded me of A Wrinkle in Time.

And after reading book II, I wonder how much of the story is actually going to make it to the Movie translation...or if they will simply end it at Book 1.

I"m looking forward to seeing exactly how this tale will finally unfold... For the most part it has been a great little tale.

~Floyd

ps. Bjorneson the Polar Bear is awesome!

Good Trades:
Vydar(HQ), Homba(HQ), stay_golden_PONYBOY
~ Card Designs~ ~ Repaints/Customs~
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
ps. Bjorneson the Polar Bear is awesome!
Agreed!

And knowing that Sam Elliot is playing Lee in the movies has made his scenes more enjoyable too, because I can just see Mr. Elliot doing those things. (the scene with him sitting on the bear's armor comes to mind)
Old August 18th, 2007, 10:56 AM

Fl0ydski Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argent
And knowing that Sam Elliot is playing Lee in the movies has made his scenes more enjoyable too, because I can just see Mr. Elliot doing those things. (the scene with him sitting on the bear's armor comes to mind)
Oh yes, he is a proper Texan no doubt. Sam Elliot was a great choice. If you feel inclined Argent, the audio book has a full cast of voices. And Lee is protrayed with a great American(accent) with a Western Drawl... and all the characters are really well done. I would suggest picking those up too. (I got them from Audible.com).

~Floyd

Good Trades:
Vydar(HQ), Homba(HQ), stay_golden_PONYBOY
~ Card Designs~ ~ Repaints/Customs~
Old August 24th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Al Gore Loves things with Polar Bears

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media