Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Old April 14th, 2012, 09:52 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!
How Do You Playtest?

A lot of people around C3G playtest. It's a huge part of our project and very important to the entire process. I'm sure there are numerous playtesting styles out there, so now I ask you to share your playtesting style. Do you test all at once? One game at a time? Do you take physical notes or type on the computer? How do you choose armies?

This is just a fun compilation of everyone's unique ways to playtest. Who knows, maybe you'll pick up a few tips along the way.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old April 14th, 2012, 09:59 AM

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!
Re: How Do You Playtest?

I generally like to playtest all at once. Rarely do I play one game and save the other game for a later time. The point costs of my armies are often random values, as I just use a value similar to 1000 or 600 using whatever fits together with whatever unit I'm testing at the time. I never use Knockback or Glyphs, but occasionally DOs and Lava Rules. I have completed numerous playtests, and I find that typing the sheet as I play the game works best for me.

As far as tips are concerned, I can offer a few:
-I listen to music while I test. It creates a more relaxing environment and helps me focus.
-Whenever a power calls for something random to be chosen, like an Order Marker, I roll a die to keep it completely random.
-I always make sure that I am sitting in a position where I can reach everything I need without having to move. This includes both armies, their cards, and my computer.
-I notice that a lot of people indicate rounds and turns in their testing sheets. I do not do this. I prefer to tell a story (sort of) in my testing sheets. It's more fun for me and hopefully for the reader.

Old April 14th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Who ISN'T One of My Brothers??

TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun TrollBrute is a penguin with a machine gun

I've got a blank sheet on my computer that I fill out as I'm playing the game. I've even got the markups on there so I don't have to work on it when I put it in the PM. I rarely am able to do more than one game at once, so I just do them whenever I can get to it. The form I use is borrowed from Viegon and ZJ and it does list every turn. It can be a little tiring to fill out all the time, but it helps me keep track of everything and make sure I list all the relevant information. While I know most Classic units off the top of my head, I don't yet have a great knowledge of all the C3G units so army building is my least favorite part. If the unit I'm testing has strong synergies then it's not too hard, but, unless I have a specific army to test against them, choosing the armies is the longest part of my set-up. I don't use glyphs very often, but I will use Knockback when I remember as that's one of my favorite optional rules. I didn't like to at first, but I've gotten used to testing by myself now and I find it easier to find time to do.

A few other things:
-I have a set up with the map I'm using on a table next to a desk with my laptop and all the cards and dice in reach.
-As for randomly choosing Order Markers, it hasn't come up much yet in my tests, but I just take the Order Markers I'm choosing from, shake them in my hands and remove a random one from that.
-I don't like to shorten or abbreviate names in my reports, but typing them out for every turn can be quite a pain, so I shorten when I can as long as it's obvious whom I'm referring to. So Captain America becomes Cap, Shadowcat becomes Kitty, Spider-Man becomes Spidey and so on.

".... the Cambridge ladies do not care, above
Cambridge if sometimes in its box of
sky lavender and cornerless, the
moon rattles like a fragment of angry candy"
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth

Grab the laptop, set it on the floor next to my map, and type as I play - putting down information at the end of the round, which I think has enough information without being TOO detailed. Music every now and then (generally instrumental/film/video game stuff; makes for good action).

And ALWAYS in one sitting. It's such a pain to set up the dice and cards and put everything together I can't imagine doing it all for just half a test.
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

I love to have music. In the past, I used to playtest with a Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard, Clint Mansell, John Williams, or Thomas Newman soundtrack. I imagine that in the future any C3G test I do will be done with music as well.

To change things up I might throw on a comic themed movie in the background.

At times I might playtest all at once but it all depends on my schedule and have to do's.

I also like to do extra playtests that test the limits of the character by placing them in extraordinary circumstances. Trapped corners, being surrounded, outnumbered, environment(map) challenges . . . that kind of stuff.

I'm not much of a play by play note taker though. I'm more of a round by round/tell major events type note taker. But that can vary depending on my mood and how meticulous I want to be. It can also depend on the design I'm playtesting.

In the end, I just try to have fun with it .
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Promotable Material

Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun Hellfire is a penguin with a machine gun

Oh, and when doing a full playtest snacks are always a welcome addition .
Old April 14th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I started off by taking hand notes but quickly gave it up. I figure if I am going to type it up, I mine as well do it right from the start. Like TB I spend a lot of time just trying to come up with army builds. Sir G's spreadsheet is a life saver and mathguy's artscow cards also help. Sometimes I like to ask the LD for suggestions on builds and always enjoy those tests.
As the rest of you I like to keep everything in arm's reach and try to do both tests at once. A lot of times one night is spent just picking out cards and getting set up.
I do the detailed round by round report. I agree that it helps keep everything in order. However it is rather boring to read so I may try to include a more reader friendly version in the future so you can read either/or. I was also thinking about including a few pics but since I have so many 'proxys' I am not sure how helpful they would be.

Great thread Scape. This is great forum for everyone to hone their playtesting.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:37 PM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

For my Heavy Hitters, I like to line up 5 Heroes and put them up against the tested unit 2 times each, and type my report online as I go.

For my Squad Tests, I line the two squads up, and knock them down one at a time and type it up when I am done.

For my first Army test, I like it to be a big 1,000 points or more and get that out of the way. Sometimes I play the game and summarize the points when I am done from memory, and sometimes I type a turn by turn report as I go. It depends on my mood and what I think the unit needs in terms of detailed reporting. Then for the last Army Test, I keep it small, around 600 points, and it makes that last game easy to finish up.
Old April 14th, 2012, 03:09 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I started out taking notes by hand as the game went, then typing it up later. After a few tests I decided to just type it out directly into the blank playtest form as I tested and save myself a step. Over half way through the test and I must of hit some button because the page changed and I lost everything. So I returned to taking notes by hand. May eventually give typing it up a go again, but if I do it will be in Word where it is a bit harder to erase with just one hit of a button.
Old April 14th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

I did the same Yodaking, except it was while transferring my hand written notes. I was just finishing up and it was gone. Now I type everything on Wordpad first and copy and paste.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old April 14th, 2012, 11:39 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

As far as choosing the armies, I'm a sucker for some cool themed battles/armies so I often try to incorporate those into the play test when I can. First though I usually start out by picking a few units that have some synergy with the new unit or form some tactical combination that I want to test out. Then I just grab a few units I'd like for that core to fight against, either based on theme or powers/tactics. Final step is just to even out the two point totals of the armies by finding a few fill in allies that will balance things out.

Sometimes though I'll start by picking units for the new figure to face off against that I think might be a good counter to see how the unit fares. Or I'll choose some forces that the new unit may excel at fighting if I want to try and maximize his or her potential. Once I figure out the size and scope of who the new unit will face, I start picking out some allies for that fight. I often just look at the point cost of my favorite characters to see who I can fit into the army.
Old April 15th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I started out taking notes by hand as the game went, then typing it up later. After a few tests I decided to just type it out directly into the blank playtest form as I tested and save myself a step. Over half way through the test and I must of hit some button because the page changed and I lost everything. So I returned to taking notes by hand. May eventually give typing it up a go again, but if I do it will be in Word where it is a bit harder to erase with just one hit of a button.
This sounds like me. Back when I playtested Green Goblin, I lost my entire testing sheet. Now I type in Microsoft Word as I go and save very frequently. I have all the playtested I have done in this way saved on my computer.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy