Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 17th, 2011, 09:41 PM

Juniour is surprisingly tart
The Elf Wizard Pod

Ever since the release of Wave 8 the elf wizards are known by every 'scaper, but not always in a good way. The Elves offer an interesting and thematic concept for an army, however finding a way to get it to work can be a challenge. I'm attempting to shed some light on a possible way to play an Elf Wizard army, what I like to call the Elf Wizard Pod. Here's the basic 500 point army:

Ulginesh - 150
Chardris - 240
Emiroon - 320
Jordhawn - 420
Raelin (ROTV) - 500

Similar to other well-known pods, such as the Vydar Ranged Pod, the Elf Wizard Pod requires bunching up to get all of the possible bonuses that can make the army so lethal in the first place.

Ulginesh is gonna be the order marker hog in this army, as he is in every Elf-Wizard Army. The key for the Elf Wizard pod is to use Ulginesh's mind link to first move up Emiroon as far up as possible, while still staying within 6 clear sight space of Ulginesh so that he can Mind Link with Emiroon on the next turn. After moving Emiroon it is necessary to use Elven Summoning Spell. If you are allowed to move up 1 or 2 elves move up Chardris and/or Jordhawn, if you can only move up 1 its doesn't matter which one. I you roll an 18-20 move up Ulginesh as well. If you can only summon 1 elf, for the second Mind Link move up the other wizard you were unable to move up with Elven Summoning Spell.

On your second turn you want to use Mind Link to move up Emirron first, moving him as far up as possible, this means he will end up farther than 6 spaces away from Ulginesh, but it's ok. Use his Elven Summoning Spell to move up Ulginesh and if possible either Chardris and/or Jordhawn, again it doesn't matter which one, preferably the one farther for Emiroon.

For your third turn Ulginesh should already be adjacent to Emiroon, and Chardris and/or Jordhawn may be adjacent to the two as well. If not, on your third turn it is ideal to move up the remaining wizards who aren't already adjacent to Ulginesh. If both Jordhawn and Chardris haven't moved to the rest of the pod it is safest to Mind Link for both of them to move up with their regular move, rather than trying to use Emiroon's Elven Summoning Spell. If there is just one elf wizard that has yet to join the pod, then it is best to Mind Link for Emiroon to use his Elven Summoning Spell and if you succeed move the final wizard up and use your second Mind Link to move around an elf and try to get the pod in correct position.

After Round 1 your elf wizard pod should be in full shape with just Raelin remaining in your start zone. Basically, your pod should look something like this:

Orange - Ulginesh
Blue - Chardris
Black - Emiroon
Pink - Jordhawn

Your pod doesn't have to look exactly like this, but this is the basic idea for how your pod will probably look. At this point, end of Round 1 and start of Round 2 your pod is at its weakest. Raelin hasn't moved up to give 2 extra defense dice to the wizards yet, making it imperative for you to use your first 2 order markers in Round 2 to move Raelin up to where every member of the pod is within her aura. Idealy you should try to position her on height or next to a bush, but if you can't do that its ok, she will still probably (hopefully) be fine.

Once you have brought Raelin up to give the wizards the extra defense, all of your order markers should go to Ulginesh. Use his Mind Link to take turns with both Jordhawn and Chardris, using their ranged specials to attack opponents while being able to remain in the pod and receive the maximum bonuses available.

From this point on OM management should be fairly easy. Put all your order markers on Ulginesh and take turns with both Jordhawn and Chardris. Obviously once your wizards start to take wounds your strategy will definitely change. The circumstances of the situation will obviously determine what to do when this happens. If Ulginesh dies you should look at your opponents army and decide if you should use Jordhawn or Chardris. Jordhawn is ideal against bunched up squads, such a Romans, Knights surrounding Gilbert to get his attack bonus, or Heavies clumped around Grimnak or Nerak. Chardris on the other hand is guaranteed an extra attack die with his special attack, making him better against heroes and high defense units.

When it comes down to it the Elf-Wizard Pod depends on bonuses provided from being near other wizards. The wizards live or die with one another, which is why (in my opinion) the pod is one of the best strategies for the elves. Raelin also gives the wizards the added defense bonus the wizards desperately need, which is why I prefer her in my opinion over other elf wizards.

Thanks for reading, please feel free to critique my article with anything you feel must be said.

Last edited by Juniour; August 18th, 2011 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Added links for each figure
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth
Re: The Elf Wizard Pod

I like this! Very nice breakdown on how to use the Elf Wizards. + rep!
Old August 18th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Another possible variation involves subbing Arkmer/Kyntela for Chardris, and Ana for Raelin:
Ulginesh 150
Emiroon 80
Jordhawn 100
Ana 100
Arkmer 50
Kyntela 20
7 spaces, 500 points

Since you are focusing on adjacency, sticking Ana in the middle gives some much needed healing, as well as a mini-Raelin boost to about 36% of the units that you will face. Kyntela sort of/kind of makes up for the lack of Raelin, provided you can squeeze her in the mix.

I think it was Killer Cactus that mentioned using Arkmer as a counter to a turtling opponent, as you can run him out, attack with his ranged attack, then summon him back.
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:23 PM

MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker MrWookiee knows what's in an order marker

I'd rather have Arkmer then Emirroon, but that kind of defeats the purpose of this army. Good job though.

My customs HERE.
With Two Es
Old August 18th, 2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWookiee View Post
I'd rather have Arkmer then Emirroon, but that kind of defeats the purpose of this army. Good job though.
Yeah I feel Emiroon is kind of a necessity to the army, just for movement purposes, as he allows you to move up your whole army, excluding Raelin. But after moving up all the wizards he just kinda sits there and does nothing, but I personally believe his ability to move up everyone is worth it, even though he essentially does nothing afterwards
Old August 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

This is a nice strategy review type article, but for an army. I like it.

Old August 18th, 2011, 03:15 PM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker

I find it's better to sub raelin for kyntela gwyn and arkmer. And I don't have chardris, so I put in syvarris. He may not get mind link, but he still gets kyntela's bonus, emiroon's summon, and increases arkmer's defense.

My Satirical Strategy Review (dedz to Bothi, stay tuned for more!)

~TheCheez
Old August 18th, 2011, 03:23 PM
...lest we all lose that 3rd turn mystery

The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The_X_Marker is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This is a very good breakdown of the Elf Pod as well.

Yours does have a picture though.

Be polite: Don't put politics or religion in your signature!
Old August 18th, 2011, 03:24 PM

Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker Brownsfan82 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheExplodingCheez View Post
I find it's better to sub raelin for kyntela gwyn and arkmer. And I don't have chardris, so I put in syvarris. He may not get mind link, but he still gets kyntela's bonus, emiroon's summon, and increases arkmer's defense.
Agree. It makes turn markers easy. And the bonuses to the special attacks last longer because you have more elf wizards.

I could see adding raelin to be helpful in some situations though. Good ideas!

Old August 18th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

The Elf pod is one of my all time faves. Play Emiroon with Aubriens...and it's ugly. If you draft Theracus, floppitycopter (TM) Emiroon, then on the next OM use Uglymess to control him. Teleport some Archers up to him, and then teleport some Warriors of Amazonia up to provide some cover. For the second action, move another wizard up to the front lines.

Then on subsequent markers, you can use Aubriens to rain hellfire down onto big baddies, knowing that the Warriors of Ashra will be there to stop the melee boys from overrunning the Archers, allowing them to frenzy like a mofo while dropping the opposing melee boys like flies.

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old August 18th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

This is my elf army:
150 Ulginesh
100 Jorhdawn
90 Chardris
80 Emiroon
50 Arkmer
20 Kyntella
10 Isamu
Use the same steps, but Arkmer and Kyntella work better with the army. Circle the army around Kyntella. Jorhdawn/ Chardris will also get the full power of their special attacks this way.
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM

I like all the feedback about which armies you guys prefer use. I'm working on putting a section in which explains different options for the army with sort summaries about how to edit your strategy for that certain build.

I find that with the builds with more elves it takes to long to move up all the wizards. And before you can even move everyone up into position you're already being attacked by the enemy and must attack back to try and fend them off.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion