Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 17th, 2007, 02:41 AM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Eldgrim the Viking Champion

The Book of Eldgrim the Viking Champion
Dawn of Darkness - Collection 6 - "Heroes of Durgeth"

Spoiler Alert!
If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: I spent two years in a Dreadgull prison hold. Two long, miserable years! Every last day was spent worrying about the fate of my friends and allies. We’ve faced the Gulls outnumbered five to one in the past, we were fools! The Gulls stripped our numbers down to nothing, and as I sat in that dirty hole of a holding cell, eating gods-know-what off a grimy steel plate, I thought myself the last Tarn Viking alive. One second my Tarn brothers were running longside me in those cursed woods, and the next they were gone! Vanished! Some evil hex, cast by Ulrick, I was sure of it! Why had the Dreadgulls captured me alive? Never before had I seen them take a prisoner, always there was death in defeat, and yet I was spared. My thoughts turned dark in that cell. Time and time again I imagined ending it all, when one fateful day the dirty stinking Gull that delivered to me what they called food made a fatal error: He got careless, and stuck his hand too far into my world. I jumped and grabbed hold of him, pulling him hard into the iron rods. When he fell, I lifted his keys. There was no hope in escape. What would I escape to? I vowed to vanquish Ulrick, and I would fight every last Gull to do it if I had to. Jandar spared me from death at the hands of Ulrick's guard. He summoned me to Valhalla. I am a torn man; my Tarn brothers live on, and for that Jandar has my gratitude, but why, why was I left to rot while they were given a new and noble cause for which to fight? Why did it take two years of torture for Jandar to summon me as well? I am not the same man they left in the woods of Korland.
-Eldgrim, of the Vikings Tarn
(Hasbro)

No, as soon as you placed the 3rd wound marker on Eldgrim he would die and be removed from the game. (Hasbro FAQ)

- WARRIOR’S SWIFTNESS SPIRIT : Which Unique Army Card
    For Warrior’s Swiftness Spirit, it just says “place this figure on any unique
    Army Card”. Can I place Eldgrim on any unique Army Card in the game (including my opponent’s), on any friendly card, or only my own unique Army Card?

You may place Eldgrim on any unique Army Card that is in play. It can be a friendly Army Card, or an opponent’s Army Card. (Hasbro FAQ)

- WARRIOR’S SWIFTNESS SPIRIT : Optional Ability
    Do you have to place Eldgrim on a Unique Army Card once he is destroyed, or is Warrior’s Swiftness Spirit an optional ability?
    It is an optional ability. You are not forced to help your opponent’s figures. (Hasbro FAQ)

- WARRIOR'S SWIFTNESS SPIRIT : Placing Destroyed Eldgrim on Cards Whose Units ARE NOT on the Board
    Can I place Eldgrim's "Warrior's Swiftness Spirit" on the Airborne Elite Army Card even though the Airborne Elite have not yet Dropped?
    Yes, you can place it on any unique army card, yours or your opponents, on the battlefield, or not. This includes the Airborne Elite before they drop as well as the Rechets. HOWEVER. You do not get to use any of the special powers on that Army Card if the order marker is turned over and they are not on the board. (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - KNIGHTS OF WESTON / MAC DIRK WARRIORS : Human Champion Bonding
    As a Human Champion, Eldgrim the Viking Champion may benefit from Knights of Weston and Mac Dirk Warriors HUMAN
    CHAMPION BONDING activation bonus.

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - WARRIOR’S SWIFTNESS SPIRIT : Any Unique Army Card
    * WARRIOR’S SWIFTNESS SPIRIT may benefit any unique army card still in play.

- 4th MASSACHUSETTS LINE : Valiant Army Defense Bonus
  • * Having a Valiant personality, Eldgrim the Viking Champion may aid the 4th Massachusetts Line with their VALIANT ARMY DEFENSE BONUS.
    *NOTE: See The Book of 4th Massachusetts Line for proper application.
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

Power Rankings

Jexik: Eldgrim the Viking Champion- Eldgrim will never win a game for you, but he will never lose one either. He does a little of this and a little of that. A-

OEAO: B+

Cleon: Tier 8 (45/208)

dok (VC inclusive): A-

Master Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Unit Strategy Review

Last edited by superfrog; March 12th, 2019 at 03:09 PM. Reason: vc added
Old May 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
Eldgrim is a pretty good fill in fig. when it comes to human champion bonding like with the knights, etc. It's also good that he's valiant.
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:51 AM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
At 30 points Eldgrim is great, but with the ability to only use Overextend attack once (unless healed) with an attack on 2 he isn't anything special but good if you need a filler.
Old May 28th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun
When I use Eldgrim I place all (except X) order markers on him, at the start of the game, to hopfully run in and take out some (only 1 or even 2) weak units and purposelly get destroyed for his swiftness spirit. I also do this because I know that he's not going to win the last battles for me as said in the power rankings, so it's foolish to leave him behind and save him.
Old May 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Just remember you can only use 'Overextended Attack' once per round! I really like Eldgrim.... espicially for a filler unit! He may not do much on the battlefield, but off the battlefield he is very helpful. It may seem like nothing, but that extra move is very helpful. I think the power rankings are correct.... he deserves a B.

Old May 29th, 2007, 01:02 AM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
Unless you're going valiant, I think Guilty's almost always the better buy.
Old May 29th, 2007, 01:13 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Eldgrim the Viking champion AKA the opening game glyph grabber.

On most single master set maps, you can overextend with him on the first turn to reach a glyph. This does two things: Pumps your army with whatever glyph he grabbed and then forces your opponent to kill him. You get the early glyph help and then you get to use his spirit and you only had to put one turn marker on him. (If bonding you wouldn't have had to put any markers on him)

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
using him to pump up ranged figures can really extend their threat range (movement + range) nicely. I find that pumping the KMA up to 7 move with Eldgrim's spirit makes them especially nasty.
Old May 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!
There are a lot of good double based 5 movement figures that can really benefit from the bonus.

Krug, Q9, Grimnak all have one of their biggest flaws offset a little bit by the bonus.

In the debate of Eldgrim vs. Guilty its really more of what your army needs. Eldgrim is more of an early game figure that gets out to a key glyph or attempts to take out a member of a squad or two. Guilty shines in the end game when both you and your opponents armies are broken up.

So I'd say its a matter of what your army needs more. If I do have one of those double based figures I think the scales lean more in the little vikings favor.

Grenade lobbyist
Old May 29th, 2007, 02:57 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
When I use Eldgrim, I use him as a Berserker and then put him on my Tagawas or Kravs when he dies.

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old May 29th, 2007, 04:17 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I find he works pretty well on the ninjas, for those times when you really need that little move boost to get in there and kill some high value target like Raelin or Taelord.
Old May 31st, 2007, 01:35 AM

TheRealQ has disabled reputation
I've always wanted to use Eldgrim to pump up my EOV in my viper army but I just haven't brought myself to doing it yet. I haven't found a nice mix that fits nicely into 400 or 500 points. Yet, I can't help but wonder what my opponents face would look like if I got a lucky frenzy and my EOV shot out 22 spaces and began chewing on him. (base7+eldgrim1+VW2+Acolarh2)+frenzy(base7+eldgrim1+VW2)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units