Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old February 20th, 2007, 11:37 PM

AggieNeH has disabled reputation
Blastatron/Gladiatron Combo

Hi, I'm new to the game (got it for Christmas), and after lurking and reading around here for a few weeks, I've realized the power of the Blastatron/Gladiatron combo.

In the games I've played and tested it against, I can't find anything that stands much of a chance against this group.

I thought Nilfheim's special attack would do it, but I was easily able to approach him with 4 Gladiatrons, and my 5-attack Blastatrons took him out in a single turn.

How can a person get around this nasty combo?

I'm thinking that you could swarm it (Orcs or Marro), but if you're not playing such a themed army, you're toast.

I'd appreciate any insight.

Children need encouragement. If a kid gets an answer right, tell him it was a lucky guess. That way he develops a good, lucky feeling. -- Jack Handey
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, AggieNeH!

On behalf of our combo crafting and dangerously drafting community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

May I recommend Braxas or any high defense melee unit (Deathreavers work great) in combination with decent ranged firepower? In particular try:

4x4th Mass
3xDeathreavers

to annihilate the opposition with 400 points!

~Aldin, Willard

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:53 PM

AggieNeH has disabled reputation
Hmm...Braxas

I hadn't tried Braxas. I'll give her a whirl.

I used this combo recently, and I know my playing partner will want to try to use it against me soon. I need to be ready.

Thanks for the welcome and the help, Aldin.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Children need encouragement. If a kid gets an answer right, tell him it was a lucky guess. That way he develops a good, lucky feeling. -- Jack Handey
Old February 20th, 2007, 11:58 PM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Welcome AggieNeh,

That is indeed a tough combo. You're going to get 30 different responses from 30 different people who have had luck or no luck fighting that group. So, I think it's tough to pin-point anyone strategy. What has worked pretty good for me in the past is to take out the Gladiatrons with as much range as possible before they have a change to close ranks. Their 3 defense isn't bad, and if you don't shoot them down quickly, you'll have to deal with their D rolling at 4 instead. They are also 4 to a squad, so that makes it a little tougher to knock em all out quickly. Not to mention they get pretty much free movement every time the B-Trons go.

They can't lock down any Large or Huge figures, so I tend to take that into consideration. Jotun's Swing Attack comes to mind when he gets surrounded.

Syvarris works well too. His ability to get the high ground and pick off units from 9 spaces away is over looked often in my opinion. He gets to attack twice so that is 2 potential kills per turn with him...at a safe distance.

Just my

EDIT: I had a bit about Braxas but I deleted it. Good call Aldin.

"One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain"
http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza

Old February 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I'd go the opposite route that others are suggesting. Gladiatorns/Blastatrons are best against large Heroes that they can surround. I find that taking squads with ranges of 7 can wipe them out before they can get very close. The monks are actually an interesting choice too. In order to boost their attack the glad/blas has to surround their opponents whereas this is what the monks want since they can attack all adjacent figures
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:05 AM
markwars has a man-crush on me

Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness Uprising wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Dodge
I'd go the opposite route that others are suggesting. Gladiatorns/Blastatrons are best against large Heroes that they can surround. I find that taking squads with ranges of 7 can wipe them out before they can get very close. The monks are actually an interesting choice too. In order to boost their attack the glad/blas has to surround their opponents whereas this is what the monks want since they can attack all adjacent figures
Oooh, I never thought of the Monks. Another good call.

"One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain"
http://web.bobmarley.com/index.jsp

"It's not a lie, if you believe it" - George Costanza

Old February 21st, 2007, 03:04 AM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I think the best counter is to use many ranged common squads with an emphasis on those with a range of greater than 6...though a lot of 4th Mass should do the trick anyway. Aubrien Archers are probably my favorite counter to them, and if you use Deathreavers with them, it's going to be rough for your opponent. Most heroes aren't well-suited to face the glad/blast combo, so I'd avoid being hero-reliant to take them on. So yeah, basically what Aldin and SD said .
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:14 AM

jdtenor knows what's in an order marker jdtenor knows what's in an order marker
I use Minring, very succesfully a couple of times, fly around to stay away from Glads & if posible always take out Blasters first. Glads without support are useless, by the time Minring is out I have done so much damage on them there not very effective.

Giggity, giggity, giggity, giggity!

You must be this beautiful to ride the Quagmire!

Lose the zero, get with the hero!

Dear diary: Jackpot!

Fat chicks need love too...they just have to PAY!
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:32 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
Mimring, air borne elite, frenzing things like EOV, Drake are all good counters to a blast/glad army. Same with Krav. Any antirange will be good because they are using all range to attack you, the gladiatrons dont attack, they just surround you and lock you down. Air borne elite can gernade alot of the blastatrons easily enough if you get them into the game early.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:12 AM

King's Knight knows what's in an order marker King's Knight knows what's in an order marker
Drake is probably the easiest to use/pick as he completely nullifies the whole homing device ability on his own...
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:40 AM
Which Team Am I On?...

Tiberius has disabled reputation
I agree CA, they then have to get creative and rely on (gasp) other members of the army to take out drake like putting order markers on the gladiatrons themselves. 4 of them on drake can widdle him down eventually. Especially since he wont be able to move and they can circle him to get higher ground when applicable.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:57 AM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Drake does horrible horrible things to this army. I've also found Swog Riders immensely useful at stopping this army. With Disengage and their Large size, they can charge right past the Gladiatrons and take out a Blastatron. While they approach you can form up your Arrow Gruts and put down a few of them before they can get close. Remember that the Blastatrons themselves are a negligible threat, its the Gladiatrons you have to worry about.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Official Units