Axegrinders > Knights > Heavy Gruts 2 4.76%
Heavy Gruts > Axegrinders > Knights 5 11.90%
Heavy Gruts > Knights > Axegrinders 7 16.67%
Knights > Axegrinders > Heavy Gruts 6 14.29%
Knights > Heavy Gruts > Axegrinders 20 47.62%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 18th, 2020, 02:45 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Unit Debate #75 Axegrinders vs Heavy Gruts vs Knights

I ask that you don't use this format without permission to preserve the quality of the other Unit Debates and avoid confusion.

NOTE: This is the first 3-Way debate to discuss the three best bonding Melee. See previous debates:
#16 -- Heavy Gruts Vs. Axegrinders and #37 -- Knights Vs. Dwarves
Also listen to the latest Casters of Valhalla episode CoV Entry 10: Bonding Melee.

This Unit Debate was selected by @lefton4ya .

1. Stats/Special Powers

2. Playability

3. Overall Usefulness

4. Who Would Win Head-To-Head

5. Army Builds

6. Best Strategic Use

7. Best in Dungeon Crawl

NOTE: Debates can now acknowledge the existence and effect of VC Customs (C3V & SoV) on the units

Last edited by lefton4ya; August 18th, 2020 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Pedantry
Old August 18th, 2020, 10:34 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Unit Debate #75 Axegrinders vs Heavy Gruts vs Knights

I voted Heavies - Dwarfs - Knights, in that order.

Orcs have a ton of bonding options, period. Nerak and Grimnak can grant defense, Ornak makes them insanely deadly when they group mob someone.

Knights can lock you down and have good defense, but are slow, and I've seen groups of them get mowed down more often than not albeit in my limited play circles.

Dwarfs can bond well too, but have the option of a 6 speed value. Only reason I took Orcs over them is because they have more bonding options. (Although personally I'll nearly always take striking first over defense, as there are more skulls than shields on the dice.)

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."
Old August 19th, 2020, 12:56 PM

artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker artemiscorso knows what's in an order marker

While I believe the dwarves are a good unit, I would put them third. In my experience the knights get to the front more reliably than the dwarves and just take a long time to kill for their points. I would put the knights first, the heavies a close second, and the dwarves third.

CORVUS
Old August 19th, 2020, 02:10 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Oof. Tough question. Orcs are #1 for me, but that’s mostly because I’ve played em the most.

Knights are good, but I know dwarves get work done. Since I only have 1 squad of dwarves, though, I haven’t had the ability to compete with them. Also, didn’t have Gilbert for forever, so its hard to say how much he impacts the knights without theoryscape.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 19th, 2020, 02:23 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I think some people need to listen to the latest episode of Casters.

I'm surprised by the diversity of answers here. While I think there's a case to be made for Heavies over Knights, I really don't see Dwarves over either of those two. Perhaps they get a leg up in a VC-inclusive environment with Quahon and Incendiborgs all over the place (damn Cathar), but who knows.
Old August 19th, 2020, 03:15 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Yeah, I think this is an easy one. In the hands of a skilled player, "lesser" units can win out vs a stronger unit matchup...but generally speaking the order is:

Knights, Heavies then Dwarves. Period.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old August 19th, 2020, 06:34 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

I used to lose the most to the Knights, but win the most as the Heavy Gruts, so it's hard to say between those two. Dwarves always felt a little worse than the two of them.

EDIT: I ended up going Heavies > Knights > Dwarves.

Although kind of like the 4th Mass vs. 10th, the Knights seem better if you literally have no idea what you're facing, but the fact that Heavies seem to perform a little better against Deathreavers and Trons had me give them the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; August 19th, 2020 at 11:45 PM. Reason: posted about my vote
Old August 19th, 2020, 10:49 PM

Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby! Owlman rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Yeah, I think this is an easy one. In the hands of a skilled player, "lesser" units can win out vs a stronger unit matchup...but generally speaking the order is:

Knights, Heavies then Dwarves. Period.
Gotta disagree, my good Sir Heroscape.

It really comes down to semantics, I think. (And map choice. Each map is different after all.)

If we're talking 500 competitive, Gilbert is what makes the Knights super deadly because of random mobility. (Random is still the key, you may roll 4-5 jandar symbols, you may roll 1.) But once Gilbert goes down, the knights mobility drops like a rock, and the heavies can reposition at will, making the knights primary power useless.

Denrick is meh, Hawthorne can be nasty but he can also turn on you... Alastair is good, but 3 defense isn't great still... all in all, Orcs have better bang for your buck as far as support goes, with Gilbert really being the only amazing support for knights IMO.

Also let's keep in mind that if you're running Nerak/Grimnak andor Tornak those heavies will be rockin at LEAST 4-5 defense in the hands of a competent player, without Raelin's help.

I personally love the dwarfs the most, even though I don't think they win the prize here sadly. I prefer speed and offense to defense usually, and the dwarfs can easily outpace either heavies or knights, and Mogrimm is a solid leader/fighter. (Plus the initiative bonus is good too!)

My 2 cents. Wish I could play this awesome game more....now excuse me while I go cry in a corner after realizing its been wayyyyy too long since my last game, lol...

"Our mother has been absent ever since we founded Rome; but there's gonna be a party when the wolf comes home."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units