Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Old July 3rd, 2020, 06:41 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Hobbiton - Welcome to Heroes of Middle Earth!

Hello, and welcome to Heroes of Middle Earth (or HoME as we call it almost everywhere).

We don't have any released units yet, but we welcome participation and constructive involvement from anyone.

Brainstorming and Design
For now, anyone is welcome to participate in votes about what units we will design next (see the HoME Voting Thread), as well as who will be on the design team for each set of units (see the Fellowship Nomination and Voting Thread). Anyone who participates in brainstorming for a design is automatically eligible to be on the design team for that design, so if you're interested in design, be sure to participate in our brainstorm thread, or in any other thread in the HoME Customs subforum with "Brainstorming" in the title.

Playtesting
We also welcome playtests from anyone and everyone in the community! You can check out our playtest thread here to see what is in playtesting. For now, anyone who submits at least two playtest reports for a unit is eligible to vote on whether that unit is complete or not.

Art
If you are artistically inclined, the HoME Art Thread is where we discuss art designs for our cards and other art-related things for the project.

Discussion
If you have comments for the project in general, feel free to comment in the HoME General Discussion thread.

Community
Or just come hang out with us at Rivendell, the HoME Hangout spot.

For now, introduce yourself here! We're glad to have you around.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 3rd, 2021, 04:39 PM

PixiePieRy knows what's in an order marker PixiePieRy knows what's in an order marker PixiePieRy knows what's in an order marker
Re: Hobbiton - Welcome to Heroes of Middle Earth!

Late to the thread but I love the concept! I doubt you’ll find someone that is a fan of Heroscape that isn’t also a lord of the rings fan
Old October 13th, 2021, 06:26 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

I'm also late to the party, and slowly getting back into Heroscape despite life circumstances making it difficult to get a game in.

However, I just wanted to pipe in and share my support. I love LOTR and would like to see something at least semi-official emerge. I currently use HeroClix miniatures, which I mostly combine with bangerang's Army Cards that they have posted up on their blog (http://heroscapewargame.blogspot.com...page_9153.html) as well as a few custom changes of my own.

Has a decision been reached on whether to use classic generals vs. custom generals?
Old October 13th, 2021, 06:29 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I don’t think this project is active.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old October 13th, 2021, 06:46 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah, the project leads had some life happen and no one has taken it over again yet.
Old October 13th, 2021, 07:12 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

I noticed it hadn't been active since sometime early this year. But that's why I wanted to voice my support, and catch up on any progress made as far as prior community decisions.

I myself haven't been active in quite some time. Hoping to bring my models out of storage as well as some life into the forums where possible.
Old October 13th, 2021, 07:28 PM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The only thing that makes a project dead is lack of activity. I need to make good on my promise. Now where are those workbooks?

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old October 13th, 2021, 09:51 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

woot, if you're getting back to it and I saw Chris Perkins post as well sounds like I can get back to work too.
Old October 13th, 2021, 09:51 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My position hasn't changed much; I'm still interested in contributing but don't have the time available to dedicate to lead much of anything.

What I have time to do: check threads every day or 2 to add my thoughts on any discussions & update OPs when needed.

If there's a renaissance of sorts with this project I'll do my best to keep up with those tasks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
Has a decision been reached on whether to use classic generals vs. custom generals?
We were using classic generals. Our higher-level decision had been to try and fit all of the HoME figures in with classic 'Scape (i.e. Boromir bonding with Knights of Weston as a Human Champion) and the use of classic generals was a filter-down effect of that higher level decision.
Old October 13th, 2021, 10:32 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

@Sherman_Davies has a bunch of Middle-earth customs.

Old November 16th, 2022, 03:44 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

What do y'all think of the Rings of Power based on the first season?

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old November 16th, 2022, 08:31 PM

Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Chris Perkins is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
What do y'all think of the Rings of Power based on the first season?
Let me preface this by saying that I'm fairly knowledgeable about Tolkien's various pre-LotR writings (for the purposes of this, most notably the Silmarilion) so I had both a lot of pre-conceptions going in and expectations based on 'historical' things I knew to have happened (both in the 1st & 2nd age).

I also only watched the first 2 episodes in their entirety, with watching highlights and reading recaps of the other episodes that followed.

I think that first paragraph is important because I was largely disappointed by the show, mostly because it failed my expectations to have consistency with Tolkien's story.

Some specifics:
1) The entire mithril-is-a-silmaril plot was completely silly, unnecessary, and very contradictory of Tolkien's writings, which they stated they wouldn't do. This (bad) decision reverberated across many plot threads (Celeborn isn't supposed to be dead...so he's probably getting returned to Middle Earth from the Halls of Mandos instead of Glorfindel?)
2) The prologue omitting all of the Kinslayings really bugged me; it made the Noldor appear to have been the pure good-guys in the 1st age, which they absolutely were not. To me, it reduced Tolkien's vastly complex 1st age elves down to too simplistic of characters and altered too many character development arcs. It seems quite minor, but it drastically altered Galadriel, who is one of my top 3 favorite characters from all of Tolkien's legendarium. They ended up removing so much of the grey from her character (leaving Valinor against the will of the Valar, loosely being allied with Feanor (and his sons) at various points, both before and after the Kinslaying, and staying in Middle Earth out of a desire for power. Her turning down the ring in LotR just doesn't mean anywhere near what it does without that history.
3) Changing Galadriel from a powerful mage/wizard/pick-your-adjective to a warrior with a sword. It has nothing to do with thinking she wouldn't be capable, and everything to do with removing the power that made her so unique in 2nd & 3rd age Middle Earth (learning from a Maia, being considered one of the greatest of the Noldor, etc). There are just so many sword-warriors that losing a more complex character to that plot is a major loss for me.
4) Gil-Galad as a character felt very weak and not at all like what I imagine a High King of the Noldor to be. Hard to see him, at this point, going toe-to-toe with Sauron with Elendil.
5) A bunch of small things from the first 2 episodes bothered me. For example: (A) Gil-Galad choosing who can return to Valinor, rather than the Valar (B) Valinor being accessed via the 'strait road', which would not be created until the end of the 2nd age (post-destruction of Numenor).
6) The Istari who finds the Harfoots (definitely-not-Gandalf-wink) is...at best a distraction for me. I'm 99% sure he's Gandalf, and he's gonna be somewhat involved in the fight against 2nd age Sauron, which feels like it will have to reduce the contributions of the elves and men of Numenor to some degree.
7) Numenor felt under-powered to me. They're going to have to defeat and capture a Maia (Sauron), and I didn't get the impression they would be up to that task.

All of this is to say that:
1) I can't watch Tolkien without comparing it to Tolkien
2) I don't particularly have interest in developing the skill I lack in (1)

Which led to me not liking the show very much.

Now, it wouldn't be fair to not point out things I thought were done very well.

1) The Sauron reveal scene was very well done (even if it lacked intrigue because Halbrand had to be Sauron).
2) The visuals on the whole were quite good.
3) Picking Mordor pre-Sauron as a place to add plot was a good choice, as Tolkien had written very little and I think they did a good job (for the most part) of developing this plot.
4) Seeing Moria in it's full glory was awesome.
5) Showing a Balrog (yes, I know the Balrog isn't supposed to wake up for a few thousand years still, and this is a slight contradiction of my arguments against the show from earlier, but damn Balrog's look cool on screen.)

Anyways, that's a rough overview of some of my thoughts on the show.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs