Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Notices

Old October 25th, 2020, 03:24 PM
A Happy Extradimensional Horror

Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death! Pumpkin_King is hot lava death!
Re: [Pod 1] DIENEKES (Gideon Jura, Combat Mage) - Testing

It would be fun to include but not really required. Might be too complex for a MS, too.
Old October 25th, 2020, 03:58 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
As it stands there is nothing sopping you form doing to your own figures and the power having "you may roll..." means it is optional. I think it might be useful for your own figures but situational, but I see no reason to change to only working on opponent's figures.
I know it's optional. But "never remember to tether my own units" and "isn't needed for his intended role" aren't exactly ringing endorsements. My point is it might be better, especially for a Master Set, if the theme and function of the unit was simpler and clearer.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 2nd, 2021, 12:10 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Did a quick test play tonight.

270 points
Map: DANCE OF THE DRYADS (BftU, VW, RttFF)
Glyphs: None

Army 1: Pyria (P), Agent Carr, Tarn
Army 2: Dienekes (D), Krav Maga Agents, Thorgrim

Which units survived?

At the end there was a single Krav, a half-life Dienekes, and a full life Thorgrim left (~150 pts).

Full report here:
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

Pyria's special was moderately effective. Rolls didn't go well, but getting to attack multiple figures while just outside Dienekes range was useful. Due to positioning she had to sacrifice height to get an extra attack line. She did ~50 points of damage before dying and the 7 range was good at making sure she had height when attacking with her normal.

I intentionally tried to abuse Dienekes' power by putting him on shadow adjacent to molten lava and Thorgrim. His position heavily discouraged melee hero engagement (hot lava death!) but wasn't a huge impediment to melee squads, with the Tarn effectively engaging.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

I played myself so it was fun to win no matter what. This particular map made it very challenging to play against Dienekes, but in this build he played very on-theme as a protective tank type of character. I appreciated that his power is more of an aura type effect rather than pure adjacency. Paired with terrain and Thorgrim boosts and 6 life he was very stout, and even after moving out of both areas still performed well against multiple Tarn attacks of 3. I would like to see him played against Heavies/Grimnak/Tornak which could both flood him with more disposable commons and engage with larger figures that can't be moved.

Pyria with higher life and low defense typical of elves seemed very on point. My only criticism would be to maybe give her one extra space for the special attack. With just three spaces each, it leads her to want to be close to engagement, but she's far too frail for that.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 02:58 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

@Scytale

What is the interaction between the Velnesh Alphas' Shift and Dienekes' Tether of Logos? I see from the Editing checklist that stuff like Water Tunnel triggers immediately and occurs before Tether of Logos would trigger, but Shift does not have the same clause added to it. Would the Velnesh Alphas get pulled in before they teleport and then pulled in again after they teleport?
Old January 2nd, 2021, 06:59 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
@Scytale

What is the interaction between the Velnesh Alphas' Shift and Dienekes' Tether of Logos? I see from the Editing checklist that stuff like Water Tunnel triggers immediately and occurs before Tether of Logos would trigger, but Shift does not have the same clause added to it. Would the Velnesh Alphas get pulled in before they teleport and then pulled in again after they teleport?
Hmm. Probably should add an "immediately" in Shift to make it more like Water Tunnel.
Old January 2nd, 2021, 10:31 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm good with that. I'll make a post in the other thread with a suggested wording for it.
Old January 4th, 2021, 06:07 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Thought just occurred to me: swapping Dieneks' Life and Defense. So far we've done a great job giving our Heroes 6 Life. This would shake that up a little, make him more Ne-Gok-Sa-esque, and fit with his tank role (current setup does, too, but 6D/4L is mathematically slightly better than 4D/6L).

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 4th, 2021, 09:14 PM

For what it's worth, I was actually thinking that we might want to go for 5 defense and drop the life a tad here as well. It provides more variety within our set and also distinguishes Dienekes more from Tandros Kreel.

That said, 6+ defense with 4 life has a lot of potential for frustration, especially when combined with defense boosters like Raelin or our Toughness +1 Glyph. I would personally start at 4L/5D just because of Combat Challenge, but that's just my preference.
Old January 5th, 2021, 10:23 AM

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I'm fine with lowering Life and boosting Defense. I do share Astro's concern about pushing Defense too much thanks to the Raelin synergy. 4L/5D sounds good to me.
Old March 3rd, 2021, 10:05 PM

It's been a while, but it looks like we never finished the discussion about a potential stat change here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
Thought just occurred to me: swapping Dieneks' Life and Defense. So far we've done a great job giving our Heroes 6 Life. This would shake that up a little, make him more Ne-Gok-Sa-esque, and fit with his tank role (current setup does, too, but 6D/4L is mathematically slightly better than 4D/6L).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112 View Post
For what it's worth, I was actually thinking that we might want to go for 5 defense and drop the life a tad here as well. It provides more variety within our set and also distinguishes Dienekes more from Tandros Kreel.

That said, 6+ defense with 4 life has a lot of potential for frustration, especially when combined with defense boosters like Raelin or our Toughness +1 Glyph. I would personally start at 4L/5D just because of Combat Challenge, but that's just my preference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
I'm fine with lowering Life and boosting Defense. I do share Astro's concern about pushing Defense too much thanks to the Raelin synergy. 4L/5D sounds good to me.
I still think that dropping the life to 4 and increasing the defense to 5 is worth consideration here for giving us some more stat variety in the set, and it suits Dienekes' defender role well.

Pinging the other members of this Pod to see if they have any preferences for this stat change proposal. I think that it's within the realm of reasonability to change through playtesting alone, but I'd prefer to get more thoughts on it first to see if anyone is opposed or if we should proceed with that change immediately.

@Fakeraistlin @lefton4ya @Jaur0n @The Long eared bat
Old March 4th, 2021, 05:33 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

I would be happy to try 4L/5D.

Long live heroscape
Old March 4th, 2021, 09:50 AM

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs