Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs
AotV Customs A place for Arena of the Valkyrie Customs

Old June 3rd, 2019, 12:42 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Welcome to the central thread for Pod 1. This thread will maintain a list of members working on this pod as well as the units being designed.

The team for this Pod is:

All Your Pie (Pod Leader)
Scytale (Pod Leader)
Fakeraistlin
lefton4ya
Jaur0n
The Long eared bat

-open slot-

The units for this Pod are:

>Ukushia Pride (Blazing Firecats)
>Chandra Nalaar, Pyromancer
>Gideon Jura, Combat Mage
>Ob Nixilis, Demon of Spite

Threads for units and links to those threads will be created soon, but first we need to fill those open spaces on the team. If you would like to participate in this Pod, please make a post in this thread stating your interest. As a Pod member, you will be able to co-design these units with the other members. Your input may decide the overall direction of these units, or you may simply wish to help refine the ideas of others. Either way, if you have an interest in how these units work out, please don't hesitate to speak up here!

Barring a particularly large outpouring of interest, Pod members will be assigned on a first come, first served basis. If you miss out on participating in this Pod, don't worry! AotV will be running multiple pods, and there are opportunities to participate with all of them.

In the meantime, anyone is free to brainstorm for these units in the pre-brainstorming thread here.

Last edited by superfrog; March 16th, 2021 at 08:28 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 01:35 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Pod 1 Main Thread

@Fakeraistlin - Welcome to the community.

I'd be willing to help a bit. Major help would be playtesting after design is mostly shook down and I hope to help but no guarantee.

Can bring up in pre-brainstorming thread, but what are thoughts on co-designed units such as Chandra Nalaar being able to summon Blazing Firecats, or something else that requires more than one unit to be designed and tested in tandem?

Also what is the thoughts on having "Lava Resistant" on units such as Blazing Firecats or Chandra Nalaar? I know we want to make this set as self-contained as possible, but maybe if some powers such as an Special Attacks ended with "Figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by [special power]" this helps to make the set contained slightly but does open up when you add VW terrain sets.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 01:55 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Welcome to the site and project, Fakeraistlin! While this Pod is for the design of all four units in the OP, it's certainly alright to play favorites, heh. Just be aware that you may be asked to comment on or give feedback for designs on Gideon and the Firecats as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Can bring up in pre-brainstorming thread, but what are thoughts on co-designed units such as Chandra Nalaar being able to summon Blazing Firecats, or something else that requires more than one unit to be designed and tested in tandem?
Of the Project Leads who's opinion I know, most expect that Jace and the Illusions will end up like this but that we should avoid it for other units. For the next public vote, it might not be a bad idea to have those figures only count as a single unit for voting purposes if one relies heavily on the other.

Personally, the Iskra/Retchets precedent definitely gives us room to explore this space but I don't want to oversaturate it. If we make, say, the Firecats dependent on being summoned by Chandra, then we have to make a unit that can only be used in armies with one very specific figure. From an army construction standpoint, I don't find that particularly interesting, and wouldn't want to do it without a very good reason. But, it's not entirely my decision. I would be happy to change my mind in the face of a particularly compelling design direction.

Quote:
Also what is the thoughts on having "Lava Resistant" on units such as Blazing Firecats or Chandra Nalaar? I know we want to make this set as self-contained as possible, but maybe if some powers such as an Special Attacks ended with "Figures with the Lava Resistant special power are not affected by [special power]" this helps to make the set contained slightly but does open up when you add VW terrain sets.
I think leaving Lava Resistant open for this set makes sense. I do think that a figure being fire-themed does not mean that they absolutely need Lava Resistant, but in some cases not having it would be very odd (for instance, the Firecats are literally made of fire, so they should probably have it for thematic reasons of nothing else.)
Old June 3rd, 2019, 02:16 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Since it is relevant to this pod, I wanted to share my thoughts from the Pre-Brainstorming Thread on Chandra summoning the Firecats and Lava Resistant in the set:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astroking112
I'm not inherently against co-designed units like Iskra and the Retchets of Bogdan, but lets keep in mind that they are (technically) two designs out of hundreds. I'd need to see a very compelling design to support adding more than one such design in AotV (and the Mindmage Jace/Illusions seem like a much more compelling pair for such synergy to me). A double-spaced squad already seems like it has a lot of unique potential, so I'd personally rather not focus on that for the Firecats. I'm not a part of Pod 1, though, so it's ultimately up to the volunteers and the leaders.

Lava Resistant doesn't bother me if it is thematic and fitting. I don't think that we even need to add some Special Attack that does less damage against figures with Lava Resistant unless we want to. We've seen plenty of units have advantages on terrain that isn't in their set.
Each thing is ultimately up to the people in this pod, of course, so if there is an extremely compelling design for Chandra as a summoner rather than anything else proposed, I'd encourage the pod members to entertain the idea at the very least.
Old June 3rd, 2019, 11:16 PM

Fakeraistlin is surprisingly tart

Thanks for the welcome lefton4ya and AllYourPie.

[QUOTE=All Your Pie;2286783]Welcome to the site and project, Fakeraistlin! While this Pod is for the design of all four units in the OP, it's certainly alright to play favorites, heh. Just be aware that you may be asked to comment on or give feedback for designs on Gideon and the Firecats as well.

AllYourPie no problem

IMHO Jace and his summoned or powered special ability illusions in the other POD make sense cause they look like Jace. I think we should avoid the summoning powers for units such as Chandra to differentiate from AoTP and make units such as Kurrock and Jace unique.

My thoughts on Chandra:

-I wouldn't make her automatically lava resistance (see below powers)

Health: ?

Attack:2
Defense:2
Move:7
Range:1

Two 'Normal Attack'
Share the Flame
-For Defense units less than 3, automatic skull plus what is rolled.
-All skulls count as an additional skull
-Lava resistant creatures make this only an attack of 2

At the beginning on her turn before Chandra moves and attacks she can choose the following three modes that will be active until her next turn:

Fire Shield:
- Enables Lava resistance
- +3 Defense
- Enables Fire Shield Counterstrike

Fire Blast:
Instead of moving and attacking Chandra can cast Fire Blast -
Two hex wide blast of fiery death
Range 4 Attack 5
-Lava resistant creatures are unaffected

Fire Control:
Instead of moving and attacking Chandra can attempt control of any one creature within LOS and with Lava Resistance or has a Fire Based special attack. This control is lost if Chandra's changes her attack mode. Success depends on size of creature. S (5 or higher), M ( 10 or higher), L+ (15)

Firecats...

-I think should be fire resistant.
-I think there is an opportunity to make them a Common squad (for those of us who have multiple sets) as well as an 'Elite Unique-more points +1 def +1 att or move'

Cats On Fire
-make them do a defend-able damage to all adjacent units on a roll of >10 but allow roll of defense dice to save.

Got some Ideas on Ob need more coffee...

Of course I haven't read all the FAQs yet
Old June 4th, 2019, 12:24 PM

Jaur0n is surprisingly tart

Hello. I have interest in working with this pod.
Old June 4th, 2019, 07:19 PM

All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla All Your Pie is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

We'll be able to get into workshopping proper in a little while, but for now let's try and keep this thread limited to getting our Pod members figured out. lefton4ya has it right in directing preliminary brainstorming to the Pre-Brainstorming thread. Once we have a full pod I will set up individual threads to workshop each of the figures.

Speaking of, looks like we've got three of the five positions spoken for. Possibly only two, depending on lefton's availability. If need be extra slots can be filled with project leads, but there's still plenty of opportunity for the public to make their mark on this project.
Old June 5th, 2019, 07:13 AM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

I would be interested in participating in this pod.

Long live heroscape
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:26 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Wow, a couple of new people to the site just for this. Welcome @The Long eared bat

I can definitely commit to contributing @All Your Pie & @Scytale . I guess that makes 5 then.

So how do we want to break up? Want to have 4 of us 7 people take lead on one each of the 4 units for this pod? By taking lead I mean create "[Pod 1] UNIT NAME (AotP Figure) - Design" thread and maintain OP, as well as facilitate discussions and any voting. If so I'd be willing to do one of the units. Or @All Your Pie & @Scytale should do all four - up to you guys.

Also we can use the Heroscape/AotP Discord server at https://discordapp.com/invite/2DWMNzF if we want to discuss there in addition to threads (I haven't logged in much recently, but could).
Old June 5th, 2019, 12:30 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I would rather we didn't simply divide things up. We should be looking at the set as a whole, including thinking about any synergies we might want and making sure they don't overlap unnecessarily. At least initially.
Old June 5th, 2019, 01:23 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Also we can use the Heroscape/AotP Discord server at https://discordapp.com/invite/2DWMNzF if we want to discuss there in addition to threads (I haven't logged in much recently, but could).
I would ask that everyone please keep discussion around designs concentrated on these forums. There's nothing wrong with using Discord to make communication a little easier as a supplement to the forums, but we want to have the more easily accessible history and open discussion possible on Heroscapers.

This isn't meant to be disparaging to the Discord server; I think that it's a great resource and would encourage anyone who wants to use it to sign up. I just don't want it to negatively impact the discussion here on Heroscapers, or to feel necessary for anyone interested in AotV.
Old June 5th, 2019, 06:11 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Still need one more person in on this, @lefton4ya . You make 4.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > AotV Customs