Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:15 PM

antmarchingroves knows what's in an order marker antmarchingroves knows what's in an order marker
Antmarchingroves' Maps

Check out some of the maps I've designed here!

2-Player Maps:
Spoiler Alert!

3-Player Maps:
Spoiler Alert!

ARV Submission Maps: New ARV Map Submissions Added 7/27/18!!

Secret Treasures of Valhalla

Uncharted Jungle

Requires 1x RoTV, 1x FotA, 1x TJ

Backstory:

Only recently was it determined that Ticalla Jungle was accessible. Utgar was the first to find a land bridge into the jungle formed by underwater volcanic eruptions north of the Valcarren Wasteland. Since that time, many others have begun exploring that uncharted jungle in search of any secrets it may hold!

Coastal Cave

Requires 1x RoTV, 1x BftU, 1x TJ

Backstory:

Sigling Sea is home to numerous islands located between Nastralund, Laur, Ekstrom, Ostrivick and Upper Bleakwoode. The waters of this great sea surround them, and the coastlines span for miles and miles. Rumor has it that ancient caves may exist on the islands. In short time, word has spread throughout Valhalla. Since then, many expeditions have been made, and yet no caves have been discovered. Do they even exist? Or is it simply a myth?

Landmarks of Valhalla
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by antmarchingroves; August 8th, 2018 at 03:42 PM.
Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:21 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Flash_19 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Antmarchingroves' Maps

Nice man! Glad you were able to figure it out.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:27 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Looks great good sir. I love 3 player maps especially even though my brothers will always beat me by the power of their combined numbers.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:30 PM

antmarchingroves knows what's in an order marker antmarchingroves knows what's in an order marker

@Sir Heroscape and @BiggaBullfrog - I just posted a new map thread which includes a map I built for the ARV contest. I would love some feedback from you guys before I officially submit it.

And yes, I just found out that someone else also submitted a map to the contest using the same theme. I guess great minds think alike!
Old February 23rd, 2018, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Looks great good sir. I love 3 player maps especially even though my brothers will always beat me by the power of their combined numbers.

Thanks @TREX ! With the map being really small and all the road in the middle, it makes for an awesome Monster Mash battle map.
Old February 26th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Apologies for neglecting your map over the weekend!

Bridge Over Bloodred River

Visually your map looks cool - I really like how you're keeping symmetry with different terrain to create an asymmetric look.

I'm always pretty wary of bridge maps, and this isn't an exception. The bridge creates a choke point of height that will be a slugfest trying to fight for, and range gets an advantage because they can hit multiple targets while melee has to funnel through one at a time.

You do have a lot of places for melee to cross the river by means of ice. But the amount of climbing they'll have to do to get out and onto the hill is enough that range can probably still shoot them to pieces first. The glyphs are spread wide, but again vulnerable to the high ground, so range won't have to move to shoot figures off of them. I do like what you're trying to do with the map, though.

Basically my main concern with the map is the melee v range aspect. Personally, I'd look at adjusting the glaciers/trees to better limit ranged shooting lanes from the hill, especially so that they can't shoot the glyphs. If you can use them to keep range from shooting a couple of ice crossings, that will help melee out a ton as well. I'd also see if you can't rework the bridge itself a little. One idea is to lower the bridge's height and take off the walls so that melee in the river can engage units on the bridge. Another to try to help the congestion is to see if you can't finagle it into two-hex-wide bridge by messing around and putting a seven-hex underneath on each side to help support some double-hex roads alongside the five-hexer.

I feel like I should have more for you, but I'm blanking. I'll check back in and see if anything strikes. But thanks for sharing your maps! It's really cool to see new stuff coming from you and flash, and I'm excited to have a submissions from you too!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old February 27th, 2018, 01:30 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I agree with Bigga. Unfortunately this map is inherently favoring range. It would be pretty easy to choke up the bridge from Melee and then shoot across the river at the opposing forces. The road is also off. It doesn’t really lend itself to helping map flow or pathing because it goes from empty space to empty space. I’m not particularly motivated to go to the open space on my side of the map, other than maybe the glyph, and I think that would create gameplay issues.

Sorry if I sound blunt. It’s late and I’m just trying to get down my impressions.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old February 28th, 2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Apologies for neglecting your map over the weekend!

Bridge Over Bloodred River

Visually your map looks cool - I really like how you're keeping symmetry with different terrain to create an asymmetric look.

I'm always pretty wary of bridge maps, and this isn't an exception. The bridge creates a choke point of height that will be a slugfest trying to fight for, and range gets an advantage because they can hit multiple targets while melee has to funnel through one at a time.

You do have a lot of places for melee to cross the river by means of ice. But the amount of climbing they'll have to do to get out and onto the hill is enough that range can probably still shoot them to pieces first. The glyphs are spread wide, but again vulnerable to the high ground, so range won't have to move to shoot figures off of them. I do like what you're trying to do with the map, though.

Basically my main concern with the map is the melee v range aspect. Personally, I'd look at adjusting the glaciers/trees to better limit ranged shooting lanes from the hill, especially so that they can't shoot the glyphs. If you can use them to keep range from shooting a couple of ice crossings, that will help melee out a ton as well. I'd also see if you can't rework the bridge itself a little. One idea is to lower the bridge's height and take off the walls so that melee in the river can engage units on the bridge. Another to try to help the congestion is to see if you can't finagle it into two-hex-wide bridge by messing around and putting a seven-hex underneath on each side to help support some double-hex roads alongside the five-hexer.

I feel like I should have more for you, but I'm blanking. I'll check back in and see if anything strikes. But thanks for sharing your maps! It's really cool to see new stuff coming from you and flash, and I'm excited to have a submissions from you too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
I agree with Bigga. Unfortunately this map is inherently favoring range. It would be pretty easy to choke up the bridge from Melee and then shoot across the river at the opposing forces. The road is also off. It doesn’t really lend itself to helping map flow or pathing because it goes from empty space to empty space. I’m not particularly motivated to go to the open space on my side of the map, other than maybe the glyph, and I think that would create gameplay issues.

Sorry if I sound blunt. It’s late and I’m just trying to get down my impressions.
@BiggaBullfrog and @Sir Heroscape - Thanks guys for taking the time to provide some feedback on my map. I enjoy building maps, but obviously this is my first attempt at making a tournament worthy map, so the feedback is very helpful. I will rework the map to address the issues that you both raised.

As a heads up, I am currently designing my second ARV submission map and would really like your feedback on that one when I'm done with it.
Old March 3rd, 2018, 02:13 AM

@BiggaBullfrog and @Sir Heroscape - I have made changes to "Bridge over Bloodred River" based off some of the feedback you provided. I also added two new possible maps entries to the ARV submission section at the top of my map thread. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at them and letting me know what you think, I'd appreciate it!
Old March 3rd, 2018, 09:37 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I'm glad you posted the other two maps, cause I like those 2 a lot better. Thematically sound, aesthetically pleasing and look pretty darn balanced to me and set up well for army development. While Bloodied River has definitely been made more balanced and playable, I think the other two are your better designs personally. The Wooded Roads looks like it will flow well and allow army movement pretty fast around the board to keep range frompodding up...and it reminds me of Highways and Dieways. Valledonn Fortress is SOLID. I'm loving that map. Obviously this map allows turn 1 startzone bombs from Zelrig...but he's really the only one that can pull that off...and there are plenty of balanced maps that allow that. Key is how well can the opponent retaliate. This map is low and fast enough I think an army that sets up their startzone well enough to mitigate Zelrig damage, will still be able to develop well enough to engage. Aside from that the only other flaw I see is the glyph on the ice. It's only accessible to 1-space figures and it is my (and the other judges) firm belief that power glyphs MUST be accessible to 2-space figures.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 282 - 124
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old March 3rd, 2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I'm glad you posted the other two maps, cause I like those 2 a lot better. Thematically sound, aesthetically pleasing and look pretty darn balanced to me and set up well for army development. While Bloodied River has definitely been made more balanced and playable, I think the other two are your better designs personally. The Wooded Roads looks like it will flow well and allow army movement pretty fast around the board to keep range frompodding up...and it reminds me of Highways and Dieways. Valledonn Fortress is SOLID. I'm loving that map. Obviously this map allows turn 1 startzone bombs from Zelrig...but he's really the only one that can pull that off...and there are plenty of balanced maps that allow that. Key is how well can the opponent retaliate. This map is low and fast enough I think an army that sets up their startzone well enough to mitigate Zelrig damage, will still be able to develop well enough to engage. Aside from that the only other flaw I see is the glyph on the ice. It's only accessible to 1-space figures and it is my (and the other judges) firm belief that power glyphs MUST be accessible to 2-space figures.
Thanks for the feedback @Sir Heroscape ! I have spent a lot of time reworking the Bloodred River map and agree with you that is just isn't coming together as far as balance. I'm leaning more heavily towards the other two map designs.

Thanks for catching the error with the glyph on the single ice space. I originally had that glyph accessible to double space figures, but reworked that section and forgot to keep it that way. I will adjust that section.
Old March 4th, 2018, 03:05 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
it is my (and the other judges) firm belief that power glyphs MUST be accessible to 2-space figures.
I'm pretty lax on that "rule," actually. I'm not so worried about access as being able to fight over it. But in the case of Valledonn Fortress, that area is pretty deniable to double-hexers, so bumping that ice up a level would be good.

I really like the new look for Bridge Over Bloodred River. It looks like it will run a lot better overall. My main concern now is a flow one -- it's easier to exit your start zone to your left because it's easier to take and hold that glyph (5-moves can only hit the glyph to the right in 3 turns, 2 to the left) and there's better high ground. Plus it's more open movement-wise. This usually just turns into a "my side, your side" fight where whoever's glyph is stronger has a big advantage and you just camp on either ends of the bridge until someone runs across and gets slaughtered. You could help that if you move the glyphs over a couple spaces so it's 10-move from both start zones. Then probably adjust a couple LoS blockers as needed. Maybe rotate the ruins? They're not bad, but they are impeding movement and maybe if you mess around with them you can get them into a better spot. Maybe not. One of those "if it works, awesome, if not, well it's good anyway" kind of things.

I like the look of Valledonn Fortress too. Solid build, LoS blockers doing a good job of creating "zones" to fight over, road helping out. Very mild concern of the snow area being a little inaccessible - not that it's hard to get to, but it's so easy to get everywhere else with the road that the snow area might get overlooked. Also very mild concern with pockets of height that ranged armies love to look for. But those are both kind of "token" concerns - not huge and it looks good for playtesting as-is to determine how grounded those concerns are.

Wooded Crossroads of Korland is my personal favorite - I just think it looks like a really fun game waiting to happen. Again, a token concern here is that it's easier to go to your right than to the left, and there's a lot of height there for range to camp on. In fact there are a lot of height pockets in general. But there's also a lot of road around the height for melee to run up and engage quickly, and a lot of LoS blockers in place to help protect them as they advance. Overall really solid - reminiscent of a more open Highways and Dieways. Though you should probably check the Start Zone with the Large Ruin and make sure you can fit the Hive in there. I'm not 100% sure from the picture but it looks iffy to me - you might need to bump the ruin over a space or two.

Great job on your maps!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios