Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 25th, 2017, 12:42 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
BoV Map Tier List

Putting together a quick tier list for all the BoV maps.

I'll update with links later.

Tier 1- Excellent tournament maps. These are the very best. These are the gold standard for competitive quality maps.
Tier 2- Satisfactory tournament maps. While these are acceptable for tournaments, they are more imbalanced than those in Tier 1, yet not horrendous like those in Tier 3.
Tier 3- Bad tournament maps. These have major flaws. I never want to play on these ever again.

Tier 1:
Bad Moon Rising
Black Root
Dance of the Dryads
Draugur
Embattled Fen
Fulcrum
Highways and Dieways
Invasion
Quasatch Playground
Stygian Rift
Ticalla Sunrise

Tier 2:
Badru Valley
Burial Marsh
Can't See the Jungle
Elswin Plateau
Fire Isles
Flash Fire
Fossil
Road Rampage
Sidewinder
Sirocco

Tier 3:
Arctic Divide
The Broken Skyline
Ember Canyon Road
Hot Heights
Ice Blossom
If you can't take the heat...
Marr Highway
Mole Hills
Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh
Swamp Thing
Turret Rocks

Thoughts and comments welcomed.

Last edited by OEAO; May 2nd, 2021 at 06:34 PM.
Old May 26th, 2017, 09:09 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: BoV Map Tier List

Thanks for helping to keep cartographic issues in the spotlight! I love reading about maps, seeing them ranked, hearing ruminations about them, etc. etc.
Old May 26th, 2017, 09:43 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I would quibble but the worst offenders are all in your Tier 4, so we agree on those, at least. Ember Canyon Road should never have been admitted.

I'll have to look at this list more closely when I'm setting up my next tournament; I like the idea of sorting the supposedly "best of the best." Let us see which are the first among equals, and which are the worst of the best.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old May 26th, 2017, 02:12 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm beginning to think the distinction between Tiers 1 and 2 are unnecessary... I'm going to rethink this a bit.

Edit: Combined Tier 1 and 2 for now. Also, I'll probably add other maps that aren't necessarily in the BoV that I've played competitive matches on that I feel are good enough to be on this list.
Old May 26th, 2017, 04:29 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

It would be helpful to see the reasons you have relegate certain maps to Tier 3.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old May 26th, 2017, 05:05 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I don't know what OEA1's criteria are for pushing maps to the bottom tier, but the most frequent complaint I have about critically acclaimed maps that fall flat in my experience is that pathing is either (1) too tight or (2) too uneven to allow for open play.

= =
Old May 26th, 2017, 05:21 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Fun topic OEA1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Tier 1:
Bad Moon Rising
Black Root
Burial Marsh
Dance of the Dryads
Elswin Plateau
Embattled Fen
Flash Fire
Fulcrum
Highways and Dieways
Invasion
Quasatch Playground
Road Rampage
Stygian Rift
Ticalla Sunrise
Strong disagree on Burial Marsh. I really don't like that map. Ends up with lots of sniping across the gap in range vs. range fights, and it's distressingly easy to screen out double spaced figures and deny them adjacency. I consider this a flawed map and would look forward to never seeing it again. I'd place it in tier 3.

While I think they are all perfectly acceptable tournament maps, I would not put Black Root (can lead to some "stare across the gap" endgames), Elswin Plateau (not the best aesthetic use of the terrain IMO), Flash Fire (a bit too easy to clog up against double spacers), and Road Rampage (solid but kind of boring to my taste), in the "best of the best" category of modern maps. I think they are all pretty solid and don't mind playing them, but they are a step behind the others you place in this tier. I'd have these in tier 2.

Quote:
Tier 2:
Badru Valley
Can't See the Jungle
Fire Isles
Fossil
Sidewinder
Sirocco
I personally quite like Fossil, Fire Isles, and Can't See the Jungle. I realize people have their objections to all of them, and they are reasonable. But I'm happy to see each of them in a map pool; they each bring unique challenges.

I agree with the others you place here.

Quote:
Tier 3:
Arctic Divide
The Broken Skyline
Ember Canyon Road
Hot Heights
Ice Blossom
If you can't take the heat...
Marr Highway
Mole Hills
Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh
Swamp Thing
Turret Rocks
"If you can't take the heat..." doesn't really belong down here IMO. I think it's a great map; I'd have it in tier 1. Why don't you like it?

I agree on the rest of those.

Quote:
Unranked:
Dragger (1?)
Yep, good map; I'd put it in the top tier.
Old May 26th, 2017, 06:26 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

@dok - Excellent points. Those objections you had for the maps I originally had as Tier 2 just didn't translate when I combined the two lists- there might be 1 or 2 more I might want to bump down.

I disagree on Burial Marsh as a Tier 3- I like it quite a bit more than Fossil, per say. Those other ones I bumped down.

I really don't like Fossil, but Fire Isles and Can't See the Jungle aren't that bad. These two are probably worth more looking at for me.

I dislike If you can't take the heat... because Range + Raelin is excessively dominant on it. I don't have a ton of plays on it, but Raelin can protect that 7-hex height without even moving. While the jungle helps, it can still be very rough if the dice are even remotely even in my experience. Might be worth taking another look at.
Old May 26th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I don't know what OEA1's criteria are for pushing maps to the bottom tier, but the most frequent complaint I have about critically acclaimed maps that fall flat in my experience is that pathing is either (1) too tight or (2) too uneven to allow for open play.
@mac122 Mostly this. I feel like most of the Tier 3's are pretty self-explanatory- range has an insane advantage over melee on these. I do admit that I should probably take another look at If you can't take the heat... The big thing with these is that range can take height too quickly, elevating their natural advantage over melee armies to an insane level.
Old June 3rd, 2017, 03:44 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

I'm gonna do 4 tiers:

Tier 1 - Great or even superb maps for tournaments. These are the kind of maps I ideally want to play on for competitive play.
Tier 2 - Good maps for tournaments and competitive play. This caliber of maps I expect to mostly play on in tournaments and am fine with. There may be minor flaws or some sway for certain armies/matchups, but nothing major.
Tier 3 - Decent maps for tournaments and competitive play. May be okay to have one or two in a tournament, but they're not ideal or recommended. Noticable flaws that you should be careful with if considering for a tournament; some flaws could potentially push it out of viability. All in all I'm okay if I run into a couple in a tournament/event, but nothing more than one or two.
Tier 4 - Bad to horrible tournament maps. These maps don't belong in the competitive scene today. Maybe they were cooler back in the day when there weren't too many tournament maps on the site, but nowadays there's plenty to choose from (and plenty of good ones).

Tier 1:
-Bad Moon Rising*
-Draugur*
-Embattled Fen
-Flash Fire
-Highways and Dieways
-Invasion
-Quasatch Playground
-Sidewinder
-Sirocco
-Stygian Rift
-Ticalla Sunrise
Tier 2:
-Blackroot*
-Can't See the Jungle...
-Dance of the Dryads
-Elswin Plateau
-Fossil
-Fulcrum
-If You Can't Take the Heat...*
Tier 3:
-Arctic Divide
-Badru Valley
-Burial Marsh
-Fire Isles
-Hot Heights
-Ice Blossom*
-Road Rampage
-Swamp Thing
Tier 4:
-Broken Skyline
-Ember Canyon Road
-Marr Highway
-Mole Hills
-Ruins of Pine Tree Marsh
-Turret Rocks

*=Maps I've either never played on before and am speculating their tier or maps I need to play on again to give a more confident placement.

Cool thread
Old June 3rd, 2017, 04:29 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I'm not sure I buy the premise here. For a tournament, it's not whether individual maps are great or not, but about the selection overall. If they're all more range-friendly than average, that's fine---bring guns. If there's a spread of different types, you need a more balanced army, or take your chances. Etc.

That said, I love both Fire Isles and Turret Rocks, and am always happy to see Mole Hills too.
Old June 4th, 2017, 08:57 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

I think that variety at an event is important, too, Ollie, but Ember Canyon Road sucks. So there's that.

= =

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios