Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:22 PM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart
Heroscapers Podcast Information

Well gentlemen and ladies, we are about to launch a Heroscapers.com podcast! We are still working out some bugs, and details about the podcast itself will be released with the first episode, but part of our launch schedule includes posting this thread to explain (hopefully in layman's terms) everything that a Scaper needs to know about podcasts.

Use this thread as a reference and troubleshooting guide so that when the first episode is released you will be all set and ready to listen! If you have any questions or problems with getting set up for podcasts, please post them here.

What is a podcast? Simply put, it's an RSS feed with mp3 or video files attached. When the RSS feed is read by a podcast player, such as iTunes, the information contained in the RSS code is reformatted into what you see in the iTunes Music Store as a podcast. The only difference between a videocast and podcast is that the author of the podcast included a video file (ex. mov) instead of an audio file (ex. mP3).

What is an RSS feed? RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. It is used to list and summarize news articles and link to their full text articles. In the case of podcasts, the same RSS code is used by podcast players to format the podcast.

How do I listen to podcasts? We will feature a summary of each podcast episode as a front page article. Each article will end with direct links to our RSS feed, free subscription link to our iTunes Music Store podcast (if you don't have iTunes installed it will automatically prompt you,) and a link to each episode's MP3 file for individual streaming or download.

Why should I subscribe to a podcast instead of just downloading the mP3 files individually? Subscriptions are a free, convenient, time-saving service. A podcast is intended to be a frequently updated reoccurring show with individual episodes relating to one topic. As new episodes become available, you can chose to be notified and have them automatically downloaded for you. With iTunes, podcasts are easier to put on your iPod, plus, the visual formating that a podcast player provides is a lot better than the plain RSS feed. Once you get iTunes installed, navigate to the Music Store> Podcasts and pick one to test one out.

Do I absolutely have to use iTunes as my podcast reader? No. There are other major podcast readers to chose from. You may try:
iTunes (Windows/OS X)
Juice (Windows/OS X/ Linux)
jPodder (Windows)
iPodderX (OS X)

How do I view the RSS feed? You need a web browser with an RSS feed reader installed. The most recent versions of Firefox (2.0), Internet Explorer (7), and Safari all have built in RSS readers, so just upgrade your browser version and you should be all set. Once you have your new browser installed, here is an average RSS feed to test if it works: http://rss-feeds.msn.com/autos/autosfuture.xml If you get an error message or only see a bunch of code, then you don't have an RSS reader.

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:36 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

Sounds delicious...

And I know this must be no small task, so a big...

THANK YOU

... to all who are involved in putting the PodCast together. Looking forward to it!

.:: .H3X. | Click here to check out bloggy goodness! :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
I can't wait!

Wait, yes I can. I don't have an mp3 player.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:42 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny139
I can't wait!

I don't think you need one. I just click on them and they play in Quicktime automatically like any other streaming media.

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:43 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
I can't wait!

I don't think you need one. I just click on them and they play in Quicktime automatically like any other streaming media.
Really? I thought they were just for mp3 players. Then again, I don't have Quicktime either, so that's a moot point...
Old November 22nd, 2006, 01:59 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob
Quote:
I can't wait!

Really? I thought they were just for mp3 players. Then again, I don't have Quicktime either, so that's a moot point...
Quote:
Originally Posted by funrun
Do I absolutely have to use iTunes as my podcast reader? No. There are other major podcast readers to chose from. You may try:
iTunes (Windows/OS X)
Juice (Windows/OS X/ Linux)
jPodder (Windows)
iPodderX (OS X)
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:14 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
How long do you plan on the podcast being?

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:18 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimpy
How long do you plan on the podcast being?
Episodes will be 10 minutes bi-weekly.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:24 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
It sounds cool.

P.S. It is just Audio, right?

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:26 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
It sounds cool.

Yes
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:30 PM
Site Admin

funrun is surprisingly tart
Quote:
I don't have an mp3 player.
As was sort of pointed out above, iTunes is an MP3 player, and it is free.

funrun's HS Repaints
Read my blog for interesting randomness as it comes to me.
Old November 22nd, 2006, 02:34 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
It sounds cool.

All the admins have listened to the first podcast and.... YES!! It is cool and will be an excellent site resource!!!

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online