Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old February 6th, 2012, 06:58 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Free Building Ideas & Discussion

Well met!

[From my comment in response to a comment about Sacrifice! - A Journey to the Center of Valhalla]

Thanks Guys!

Well met!

[I used almost every piece of terrain I have for this Map, except for my Trees and a lot of Castle columns. I don't even have enough left for start zones.]

Spoiler Alert!
As a free builder, I've been thinking that there ought to be "a place for us, somewhere."

Spoiler Alert!

So . . . I guess I'll get right on it. [This missive is, of course, free written. ]

So . . . here it is!

When I fight in Delta+, it just feels right!

Next Generation

Last edited by kolakoski; August 28th, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old February 6th, 2012, 10:24 PM

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Free Building Ideas & Discussion

Well met!

On point, from my comment in reference to Panoptican's Maps:

I too am impressed with the striking aesthetics of many of these maps. I especially like Panopticon's use of Shadow. A discussion of the use of Shadow in map building is just one of the suggested topics in Free Building Ideas & Discussion. I like the way his start zone layouts in Black Gold, Burial Marsh, and Desolation Pass integrate the start zones into the rest of the map, as opposed to the usual look of them being tacked on. These Maps also have interesting road/stair systems. I'll definitely be looking at these during my next free build.

Next Generation

Last edited by kolakoski; February 7th, 2012 at 09:17 AM.
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:25 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

These are some of my free build maps:

I like to build maps with all my sets when I free build.

And also for that second one I had to take it apart level by level in order to rebuild in Virtual-scape for future use! Took me ages!
Old February 7th, 2012, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedex worker View Post
These are some of my free build maps:

I like to build maps with all my sets when I free build.

And also for that second one I had to take it apart level by level in order to rebuild in Virtual-scape for future use! Took me ages!
Well met!

. . . and this is to encourage me to do it!?

Next Generation

Old February 7th, 2012, 03:58 PM

Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby! Fedex worker rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post

Well met!

. . . and this is to encourage me to do it!?
Ah well no, I just felt like sharing.
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:04 PM

Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby! Bloody Bogle rolls all skulls baby!

As a fellow free builder, this is very helpful. I don't know if I have any tips though

Maybe you guys can get ideas from my maps?
(link below)

If you have an idea for a signature, let me know. Until then, this stays here
My Trade List
My Custom Map Thread
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:34 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death! lefton4ya is hot lava death!

Whenever I want to make a map quickly for multiplayer, I use Lexan Mats as the base, then throw terrain on it. Sometimes it is symmetrical, other times not. Sometimes I use whole sets, other times partial ones. I will say that having Fortress pillars only on one side of a map is a bad idea.

Examples: (See more at picasaweb.google.com/LeftOn4ya/HSGames)

Last edited by lefton4ya; February 7th, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old February 7th, 2012, 05:39 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I really liked dok's use of shadow tiles in "It's a Trap!" (there's a shadow tile under every pit trap).

The shadows fill three rolls here: marking start zones, acting as pit traps and adding (their usual) protection. It's easy to imagine shadow tiles as a pit, or rift (as in Avernus), but actually tying that to the Glyph of Proftaka is pretty clever (plus it saves actually needing the actual glyph piece).

There's a few maps out there using shadow tiles as corridors and secret passages which I really love. Most recently, Taeblewalker 's Dark & Secret Passages, but there's a few others.
Old February 9th, 2012, 11:43 AM

Well met!

[From Kolakoski's Maps]

This was to be a display of the free building process, but I accidentally deleted the pictures prior to completion. After placing the start zones, I laid down all my Grass, then all my Rock (and the lava Field/Molten Lava), then all my Sand (and Trees), then all my Dungeon (except the 24-hexers), then most of my Road/Castle Ground, and, finally, Jungle, Water and Shadow (and Battlements). This Map has no name or scenario to go with it, although it is similar to Sacrifice! - A Journey to the Center of Valhalla in terms of being built around a Lava Field 7-hexer.

Spoiler Alert!

As usual, most of my terrain is on this card table, except for the Castle towers, and remaining Battlements (with extras from Auggies), and Ruins. This map is "busy," as my Maps tend to be, as I like to include lots of LoS blockers and defensive terrain. There are those who dislike Trees and Jungle on the same Map, especially juxtaposed relatively near to each other, as I have done here. Fair enough, although the areas containing each are clearly defined on this Map. I plan to address this issue by rebuilding from the point right after all the Sand was laid down (tonight or tomorrow night), with additional pictures on Monday.

Next Generation

Old February 13th, 2012, 09:44 AM

Well met!

Tore down Sacrifice!

to the Sand and rebuilt, tentatively named The Divided City!

Next Generation

Last edited by kolakoski; February 13th, 2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old July 1st, 2012, 02:28 PM

Well met!

I'm resurrecting this thread to discuss the map I am going to build for the Gang of Four's monthly meeting on 7/13/12.

I actually free-built a map for this game, with only a vague idea of what it would look like and no scenario in mind.

It would have played OK, and has some interesting features (the best of which will appear in some form on the new map), but would never have made the cover of Better Maps & Scenarios. I built this one from bottom to top, from the center outwards, with the idea that it would be an island with a Molten Lava altar, with Sand towards the edges like a shoreline. As you can see, most of the sand ended up covered by other terrain. As the types and amount of terrain left unused diminished, the uses to which they were forced to be put became more and more bizarre. A description of the new map:

From Friday the Thirteenth 'Scape Redux!:

The new map (to be built a few days before the game) will feature a central tower built around a stack of single hex pieces (probably Concrete terrain from the Marvel set) [I know. I can just place a tower in the middle, and cover it.] capped by a Molten Lava hex piece. The tower, and the small hill upon which it sits, will be a no-fly zone. Scattered about the rest of the map (where units may fly normally) will be little fortified areas representing high security laboratories, on Dungeon terrain, and several Treasure Glyphs.

I consider this to be a free build, but, considering the number of terrain elements (and their placement) that are already set (in my mind), perhaps it falls within another category.

At the center, I plan to place the tower between two 24-hex, Dungeon tiles, and construct a small, single [double] stair-step hill around it, and use the rest of my Dungeon tiles (one BftU minus one of the single Dungeon hexes [It's somewhere ]) to construct [two][four] labs (using Shadow, Battlements, Jungle, and Road/Castle terrain (but no more towers). I'll then build a Sand "shoreline" at the two ends of the map, filling in with any or all of what I'll have left: a Marvel set, two Hives, six Ruins (three large, three small), two Great Evergreens, four Evergreens, some Swamp and Swamp Water, Sparkly and Regular Water, Jungle (two Palms and 6-8 bushes total), lots of Shadow, and lots of Castle stuff (six Wall walk seven-hexers, one nine-hexer, lots of caps (for Roads), and a ton of Battlements, plus one Lava Field seven-hexer. The center area may break, from the general concentric symmetry, to bilateral from short side to short side.

I could borrow from Sacrifice!, and surround the Molten Lava at the bottom with Pillars.

Next Generation

Last edited by kolakoski; July 1st, 2012 at 07:04 PM.
Old July 1st, 2012, 05:09 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

One of the most extensive collection for Free-Built maps on this site is from Nadi

Search for his name in the Download Area, and you'll see what i mean

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios