Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs
Dungeons & Dragons Customs Hey the title says it all

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:36 AM

dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
dalu's D&D custom

Orogoth (New version of the card, better wording, thanks Scytale)

He is a Demon, a violent and cruel beast from hell, unable to collaborate with anything (no bond).
He is made to trace its path towards an enemy hero, becoming more enraged and dangerous when he is wounded, but not in the same way as Krug.
Unlike Krug, he is doing well against squads, decimating them along its path.
Deathreavers are unable to stop him.
If he survives the squads, he is able to seriously wound or kill a hero, but he is not as strong as Krug.

The figure is Goristro, D&D Legendary Evils #24
Check availabilty on ABprices site. It is also available on ebay.
You can easily remove it from its D&D base, because its hooves are hollow.
He fits very well on a small peanut Heroscape base.

Left box stats
  • While being Relentless it will be very difficult for him to benefit from Khosumet's Relentless Assault.
    (Because you don't want to waste a turn to play Khosumet instead of Orogoth, and because there is a risk that Orogoth wounds Khosumet if he is adjacent.)
  • Huge of course. Size 11: he is a little greater than Tor-Kul-Na, just a little smaller than Grimnak.
Right boxs stats
  • Life 9 + Devour, Defense 3
    He is an enraged beast, you can easily wound him, but he is hard to kill due to his many lives.
    With Devour, he can heal 1 wound/turn if he manages to kill a small or medium figure with his normal attack.
    This power was added after play-testing, because he was too fragile.
  • Range 1, Attack 3 with Deadly Strike.
    Makes him different, I don't want another 6 lives, 4 def, attack 6 figure.
    When he hits, it is often very hard, but he has more chances to fail than a classic 6 dice attack.
    Probabilities: 0 hit 12.5%, 2 hits 37.5%, 4 hits 37.5%, 6 hits 12.5%.
  • Move 6
    He is quick, but without fly and with a peanut base, he is not so mobile.
    And don't forget: he has not any ranged attack.
  • Price: 200 points. Seems fair to us. During our play-tests, it was very difficult to kill 200 points with Orogoth before he dies.
Special Abilities
  • Furious Trampling 16
    Makes him a squad killer.
    He tramples before moving, so it is difficult to stop him with multiple engagements.
    He doesn't make any effort to control his Trample, so he can wound even his allies.
    You can block him with large or huge figures, because this power doesn't work against them.
    The more wounds he has, the more furious he becomes, and the more damage he makes with Trampling.
    Even seriously wounded, with one life left, he must roll 8 or more to give a wound. Compare with Braxas' Poisonous Acid Breath and Tor-Kul-Na's Trample Stomp.
  • Deadly Strike
    It may be devastating with 3 dice.
    He really likes to have an height advantage, or to benefit from an attack+1 glyph.
    Head to head, he is beaten most of the time by Krug, Jotun, Ymir (dok's custom), Charos, Tor-Kul-Na.
    He is tied with the Fen Hydra.
    He has more chance to win when facing Major Q9 (adjacent), Cyprien, Sujoah, Nilfheim, Braxas.
    If he is seriously wounded when he reaches an enemy big hitter (which is the case most of the time), he will be killed very easily.
  • Devour
    This was added after our play-tests that showed he was to weak for its cost.
    The ability to heal some wounds by eating defeated enemies was an effective solution, and thematically it was very good: look at all the teeth in his huge mouth.

Notes
In our first play-tests, he had a base attack of 4: it was really frightening.
In the first game we played, he managed to go through the Deathreavers, killed 2 Krav, Raëlin and finally Q9 in one attack. Woah !!!
But after that, even backed with Stingers, we didn't manage to win with him against Dwarves, Knights of Weston and even Capuans armies.
9 lives, def 3 were not enough to allow him to survive the travel through good squads. We decided to give him the Devour power.

We reduced his base attack to 3, because with 4 dice and Deadly Strike, he simply beats every figure, including Krug, in a head to head adjacent fight (read: "Orogoth has more chance to be the winner.")
In practice, he will never be able to go in a head to head fight before being seriously wounded, but we don't want him to be so strong.

His price was difficult to fix.
200 points seems fair if you compare him to Tor-Kul-Na, Braxas, Charos who all benefits from Bondings.

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by dalu; March 1st, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old April 29th, 2011, 01:52 AM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: dalu's D&D custom

I love the pic of Orogoth and TKN mad-dogging each other.

This guy looks really good.

At first I was concerned about Furious Trample's improvement with wounds, but the you pointed out the comparison with Braxas, and that, paired with having to use it against your own units, keeps him priced well.

Deadly Strike with 3 attack is awesome, especially if he can add height, Taelord or a glyph (or all 3! ) to it.

With only 3 defense he is going to be very susceptible to falling rom numerous ranged attacks, but 9 like and Devour should help keep him going.

If I get a chance to try him out I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

130-96-0 (4/13/09-1/14/24)
36-16-0 (10/17/09-12/9/23)
Old April 29th, 2011, 08:27 AM

dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla dalu is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
I love the pic of Orogoth and TKN mad-dogging each other.
This guy looks really good.
Thank you !
We (me and my son) were desperate at not having received any response.

Quote:
At first I was concerned about Furious Trample's improvement with wounds, but the you pointed out the comparison with Braxas, and that, paired with having to use it against your own units, keeps him priced well.
Deadly Strike with 3 attack is awesome, especially if he can add height, Taelord or a glyph (or all 3! ) to it.
With only 3 defense he is going to be very susceptible to falling from numerous ranged attacks, but 9 live and Devour should help keep him going.
We know he sounds like stronger than he really is.
He is a serious threat your enemy must take into account, but a skilled player will got rid of him before he causes too much damages.

Quote:
If I get a chance to try him out I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
We would be very happy if you could test him.
We hope and look forward to reading you.
Old June 1st, 2011, 04:47 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Really good design on this one. He fits the high-cost brute roll well.

I especially love Furious Trampling. It gives the figure the all-important multi-attack ability in a unique and flavorful way. It's really rare to see before-movement powers, particularly ones that do damage.

To look more official the newline characters between sentences in Furious Trampling should be removed (make it one solid block of text), but that's up to your preference.

Devour could be reworded to match Life Drain: "Each time Orogoth destroys a small or medium figure with a normal attack, you may remove a wound marker from this Army Card." The "after attacking" bit in your wording may clarify some potential timing issues, but any such issues already exist with Life Drain.

While the figure has all the makings of a menacer, I suspect the combination of Furious Trampling, Devour, and 3 defense on a melee figure will make him play much more like a shark. Not only does he lack synergies and in fact is a threat to your own troops with Furious Trampling, but after he gets into the fight you will want to keep putting order markers on him to get the most out of him until he dies (and try to keep him alive longer with Devour). Probably most useful as an opener to slam into your opponent's vanguard and do as much damage as possible. It's hard to put exact prices on anything over ~120pts, but 200 feels about right.

Nice work. I hope to see more stuff from you in the future!
Old June 1st, 2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
Really good design on this one. He fits the high-cost brute roll well.

I especially love Furious Trampling. It gives the figure the all-important multi-attack ability in a unique and flavorful way. It's really rare to see before-movement powers, particularly ones that do damage.

To look more official the newline characters between sentences in Furious Trampling should be removed (make it one solid block of text), but that's up to your preference.

Devour could be reworded to match Life Drain: "Each time Orogoth destroys a small or medium figure with a normal attack, you may remove a wound marker from this Army Card." The "after attacking" bit in your wording may clarify some potential timing issues, but any such issues already exist with Life Drain.

While the figure has all the makings of a menacer, I suspect the combination of Furious Trampling, Devour, and 3 defense on a melee figure will make him play much more like a shark. Not only does he lack synergies and in fact is a threat to your own troops with Furious Trampling, but after he gets into the fight you will want to keep putting order markers on him to get the most out of him until he dies (and try to keep him alive longer with Devour). Probably most useful as an opener to slam into your opponent's vanguard and do as much damage as possible. It's hard to put exact prices on anything over ~120pts, but 200 feels about right.

Nice work. I hope to see more stuff from you in the future!
Thank you Scytale !

I am glad that a good custom maker like you appreciate Orogoth.
You are right: I will remove the newline characters and rewrite Devour.
And yes, he is a Shark.

During our playtests with my son, we were surprised.
It was more brainy and interesting then we thought to play Orogoth.
When you play Orogoth, he must survive long enough, he must decimate squads and/or hit 1 or 2 times an important hero.
When you are facing him, you must protect your squads and your important heroes.

Example (playtest without Devour):
My son had Charos, 3x Knights of Weston and Thorgrim (500 points).
I had Orogoth (open game), 3x Stingers (mid game), Fen Hydra (clean up). (500 points).

I send Orogoth towards Charos.
My son spread the Knights and Thorgrim on the map.

When Orogoth was just ready to attack Charos, the dragon fled !!!
He flew into my starting zone and landed engaged with Stingers.

My son blocked Orogoth with Thorgrim and only 1 or 2 Knights at a time.
Orogoth killed few and moved slowly: Coward's Reward was to take into account.
Other Knights engaged the Hydra (without OM) and cut 1 or 2 heads.

Thorgrim died and his spirit went to Charos.
When Orogoth, seriously wounded, was for the second time ready to attack Charos, he had no chance to win.
His attack was counter-striked and he was after that easily killed.
Charos, adjacent, finished the Stingers.

Orogoth is really frightening, and forces you to react.
You must block him, but you must adapt to his Furious Trampling.

Note:
I really think a big figure like this (Orogoth is bigger than Jotun and Tok-Kul-Na for exemple) must have a high cost.
Among all your very good customs, I was surprised you see Bjornganal: same figure, only 140 points.

I have one or two customs ideas, but all my Heroscape time is for now spent as a C3V playtester.
I must confess that we have not taken the time to seriously playtest Orogoth after adding Devour.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 10:42 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalu View Post
Orogoth is really frightening, and forces you to react.
You must block him, but you must adapt to his Furious Trampling.
Designing a workable custom is good and fun, but designing one that changes strategies is a victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalu View Post
Note:
I really think a big figure like this (Orogoth is bigger than Jotun and Tok-Kul-Na for exemple) must have a high cost.
Among all your very good customs, I was surprised you see Bjornganal: same figure, only 140 points.
I'm not as convinced that size = power, especially in Heroscape. Zetacron surprised us all when he was revealed to be a 60pt figure. Dumutefs are only 25pts. But big figures are intimidating, and it's fun with their power reflects that.

In the case of Bjornganal, he was designed to be one of Yurganthaor's minions. To be viable in that way his cost needed to be kept down. Additionally, my version is based on the original D&D interpretation, in which Goristros aren't especially strong (relatively speaking). Still, I couldn't resist making him the big, relatively expensive brute of the faction.
Old June 2nd, 2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:

Done !
New version of the card in the OP.
Thanks again.

Quote:
Designing a workable custom is good and fun, but designing one that changes strategies is a victory.
Thanks for the positive comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytalle
I'm not as convinced that size = power, especially in Heroscape. Zetacron surprised us all when he was revealed to be a 60pt figure. Dumutefs are only 25pts. But big figures are intimidating, and it's fun with their power reflects that.

In the case of Bjornganal, he was designed to be one of Yurganthaor's minions. To be viable in that way his cost needed to be kept down. Additionally, my version is based on the original D&D interpretation, in which Goristros aren't especially strong (relatively speaking). Still, I couldn't resist making him the big, relatively expensive brute of the faction.
I don't know D&D.
I understand your point of view.
When I watch the pictures in the OP and compare Q9 and Drake to Orogoth, I can't imagine him to be in the middle-weight category.

Last edited by dalu; June 2nd, 2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:58 PM

Jonny Jon is surprisingly tart

That figure is sweet! Why didn't the official D&D guys use it? Money, I'm sure.

The picture on the card isn't nearly as good as your pictures, imo.
It definitely looks like you've came up with an interesting and fun warrior.

The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts. - William Hazlitt
Old June 10th, 2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jon View Post
That figure is sweet! Why didn't the official D&D guys use it? Money, I'm sure.
This figure is cheap, you can have it for $3.
Check disponibility and prices with the "ABprices" link in the first post.

Quote:
The picture on the card isn't nearly as good as your pictures, imo.
I used a picture downloaded from this site.
I should have taken a picture myself.

Quote:
It definitely looks like you've came up with an interesting and fun warrior.
Thanks !
Old October 9th, 2011, 11:13 AM

Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby! Simval rolls all skulls baby!

Hey Dalu !

I just found out this custom, I never saw him on the french forum ! He's incredible !

I definitively want to have him ! His powers are well-suited for him but his low defense brings strategy when using him, as well as devour is a very strategic power.

Good job !
Old November 8th, 2011, 04:33 AM

LoDeNo knows what's in an order marker LoDeNo knows what's in an order marker LoDeNo knows what's in an order marker

Have a look here Simval : Dalu presents Orogoth on the french forum
http://forum.heroscape.free.fr/phpBB...pic.php?t=3607

The french forum : http://forum.heroscape.free.fr/
Old November 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Missed this guy the first time around. Love the figure. I'm curious where you initially started his point level? At first glance (and this seems to be the typical first reaction from what I've read) 200 seems a bit low. My first thought was 250. Of course then I saw that he suffers from the same affliction as Su-Bak-Na. A hard hitter who can't defend himself.

I have to get my hands on this figure.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > Dungeons & Dragons Customs