Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:09 PM

Frederickd is surprisingly tart
How to make your own Volcarren Wasteland in 4 easy steps:

I know, I know, there are a lot of good tutorials already on making volcarren wastelands, so why post another one?

Well, I'm sick and tired of those ridiculously high prices people often pay for something they can easily make themselves in 1,5 hours and for less than a quarter of the price you'll pay on e-bay. My goal with this tutorial is to show the world once again that it really is that simple to make your own VW, and that you don't need to pay much to have a good looking lava set.

-rant ends here-

So here we go:

The first thing you have to do is finding the stuff you need: 4 seven-hex tiles, five double-hex tiles, five single-hex tiles, eleven water tiles. This shouldn't be a problem.

You'll also need some paint. I recommend a red primer (the army-painter pure red primer is great to work with!), a regular matte red spray paint for the second layer and some gray acryllic paint for the stone parts (I used German Grey from the Vallejo range. You can find them in almost any hobby centre. German grey is darker than the original grey however. I preferred this because I always found the original tiles too bright.).

Notice the flames on the spray can! Nice touch, no?

First step: Spray a thin layer of the red primer on your tiles. Be careful not to put too much paint on them! Less is more, trust me. This is just the first layer, it doesn't matter at all that parts of the original colour are still visible.
Safety comes first of course, so make sure you apply the spray paint in a well ventilated space!
Your tiles should look like this now:

Second step: After the primer is dry, apply a second layer of paint using the regular spray paint. Be even more careful now not to apply too much. This paint will be thicker than the primer, so don't exaggerate when applying this layer. Also, don't put much of this paint on the top, because this type of paint is hard to paint over and your grey paint won't stick to it.

Voila! The edges are now done.
Third step: The grey areas. I used a glass plate and applied thin layer of the grey paint on it. Then I took the tiles and pressed them into the paint. Most of the area that needs to be covered is done in one simple action. The remaing parts can be painted on with a brush should this be necessary.

Step Four: The Molten lava. When you look at the original molten lava tiles, you'll notice they orange specks on them. This effect can be recreated by applying orange paint (I used Games workshop Fiery orange) on a brush, then wiping the brush completely dry, and by putting little stabs of you brush on the lava tiles. This gives them some lava-like texture. I strongly recommend that you connect all your tiles and dry-brush them in one go. This creates a consistency in the pattern.

Here you see my tiles next to an original one:

I also applied a red wash (Games Workshop Baal red) on the red parts and put a thin layer of satin varnish on the grey parts. This is optional of corse.

Here you go. It's as simple as this. It took me about 1,5 hours to make this entire set. It's also lots of fun to make! At this point I'm thinking of making some more sets and selling my original VW for lots and lots of money! I won't do it however. My VW was the first expansion I bought way back when and it will always have a special place in my heart. And of course there's the fact that I loathe the high prices people ask for rare Heroscape stuff.

I'll finish this tutorial with some pics of the original next to my custom. I hope you found this tutorial somewhat useful and I really want to encourage people to get creative and have a go at it. If you do, please post some pics of your work.

The original:

My custom set:

Both together:

Very good trades with:
MacBryce
Northgate
Gurei-Ornery
Fourchinnigan
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:15 PM

'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness 'Scaper94 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: How to make your own Volcarren Wasteland in 4 easy steps

Also, don't get your spray adhesive and spray sealer confused.

Nice tutorial!

My tourney record: 14-32 or 30.43% wins
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Just need a painting tutorial for turning granite guardians into the obsidian guards now. You can still find granite guardians for sale at somewhat reasonable prices.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:14 PM

mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness mrcrimson wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Very sweet looking! How do the tiles hold up constant connections? does the paint wear off? Is it hard to connect/disconnect them?
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:17 PM

Frederickd is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrimson View Post
Very sweet looking! How do the tiles hold up constant connections? does the paint wear off? Is it hard to connect/disconnect them?
I made them this morning, so I don't know if the paint will wear off. I guess it's inevitable in the long run...
If you don't apply too much paint, they will connect/disconnect just fine.

Very good trades with:
MacBryce
Northgate
Gurei-Ornery
Fourchinnigan
Old April 2nd, 2011, 08:25 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nice tutorial. I highly recommend using the paint Grishnack (sp?) recommends. It is Krylon for Plastic Red Pepper - Bonds to plastic (completely dry in just one hour) and is a near perfect match. You can pick it up at just about any store. Just make sure you wash the tiles so there is no oil on it. No primer needed at all with it.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:21 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

Great tutorial. I did a set in almost the exact same way. A couples hours one evening is so much better than the prices on eBay. I have experience minimal paint chipping on the edges, but I think it's holding up just fine.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:06 AM

polarcow knows what's in an order marker polarcow knows what's in an order marker

Easy and a really excellent result!!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles