Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios
Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios This is the place to put all of our D&D adventure type scenarios. Come here when you want to browse user submitted adventures.

Old February 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM

Blatimus knows what's in an order marker Blatimus knows what's in an order marker
Tiamat Encounter

Tiamat is an epic queen of evil chromatic dragons. My first encounter with Tiamat was on Saturday morning D&D the Animated Series from back in the 80's.

Since I started playing Heroscape I've looked around for ideas for custom armies and adventures. I came across a D&D mini of Tiamat on Ebay and picked it up for my collection.

So I thought it would be cool to make a custom card and my ambitions would be complete. My dilemma was how does a "Unique Hero" card come close to capturing the epic evil awesomeness of Tiamat? It's been tried and I have gone away in disappointment. Not to say the Cards aren't brilliant. I think there's some great Customs out there.

Over the last several months (more like a year now) I've been researching and planning out a Tiamat Encounter for Heroscape complete with scenario instructions for game play and battlefield.

There are some great resources here at Heroscapers. Thanks to everything everyone has gone before and done!

Scenario
Spoiler Alert!

Details
Spoiler Alert!

Cover
Spoiler Alert!

Page 1
Spoiler Alert!

I've also put together a battlefield with building instructions. Now I'm working on the actual battle scenario. I've got some ideas that look like a lot of fun. My attempt at character "balance" (if there is such a thing for Tiamat) is the "380" in point value. That gives a bit of room to throw in a couple of minions into the mix to stir things up. I think that might be far too low because essentially I've set Tiamat as if she is 5 Unique Heroes in one. Personally I've never played with more than a couple heroes and a squad or two for my armies.

My kid only has patience enough to play Basic Scape so I don't know how much testing I'll get to do in the near future.

Ok, so here is Page 2. The rest of the pages are instructions on building the battlefield.

Page 2
Spoiler Alert!

Battlefield Pic 1
Spoiler Alert!

Battlefield Pic2
Spoiler Alert!

Battlefield Terrain List
Spoiler Alert!

Update:
The New Tiamat and Bases

Somehow I missed the release of this new adventure from D&D, http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabl...ts/rise-tiamat I think I was overly busy with school. Thankfully I found out before the prices went through the roof.

Here is a decent review of the new D&D Tiamat and Bahamut Dragons http://gravengames.co.uk/dd-miniatur...ragons-review/

Below are some pics of the new Tiamat sculpt and some comparisons in the Heroscape environment. The last picture is of some new bases I made since it is a snap to re-base a flying figure.

Tyranny of Dragons - Tiamat
Spoiler Alert!

Download Links
Character & Battle Sheets 2 pages 4.5 MB
Fate's Chasm Battlefield Build 4 pages 10.9 MB

Last edited by Blatimus; March 25th, 2015 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Updated Rule Changes
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:30 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Tiamat Encounter

If you want 'epic evil awesomness' then I would increase the Life. A lot. If you increase the life, then lower the defense.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:06 PM

Blatimus knows what's in an order marker Blatimus knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post
If you want 'epic evil awesomness' then I would increase the Life. A lot. If you increase the life, then lower the defense.
I might just have to do that. I haven't tested it yet but I hope to some time today.

Thanks for the Input. Are there any figures with a life greater than 9? I thought 10 was pushing the limits.
Old February 26th, 2011, 05:57 PM

Robotunit197 knows what's in an order marker Robotunit197 knows what's in an order marker

For 380 points, I wouldn't say it is pushing limits.
Old February 26th, 2011, 06:50 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatimus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post
I might just have to do that. I haven't tested it yet but I hope to some time today.

Thanks for the Input. Are there any figures with a life greater than 9? I thought 10 was pushing the limits.

No figures with more than nine life. 10 is pushing the OFFICIAL limits.

If you do increase the life, then increase the points and lower the defense.

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old February 27th, 2011, 01:52 AM

I tested with a quick game last night.

I used
10th Regiment of Foot
Marcus
Roman Archers
Sonlen
Syvarris

vrs

Tiamat
Drow Chain Fighter
Greenscale Warriors

after about 6 rounds all that was left was 2 Roman Archers vrs Tiamat and all 5 heads of Tiamat were wounded so she couldn't attack but she could still fly away.

Very interesting is that Tiamat is so massive she can't always get adjacent to use her maximum attack of 5. She has to resort to whatever ranged breath weapon is left.

Over all I think the points are fairly balanced. Now if Tiamat had some way to recover from wounds that would make the game trickier. Maybe if she could use one of her rounds to recover instead of fight that might be more formidable.
Spoiler Alert!

This morning I used
Airborne Elite
Ana Karithon
Darrak Ambershard
Iron Golem
Tandros Kreel

vrs

Tiamat
Goblin Cutters
Black Wyrmling
Red Wyrmling

The cutters were fodder for the Airborne Elite and the Red Wyrmling got stomped by the Iron Golem. But after 5 rounds everyone was wiped away by Tiamat and she only had two wounded heads.

I haven't tested with the rules from the additional battle page but they look like they should be fun. Also I clarified on the new page that Tiamat can still attack using Range 1 attacks even if all heads are wounded.

Last edited by Blatimus; March 5th, 2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: new page comments
Old March 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM

pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker

Hi,
The Tiamat encounter is excellent work. She is so iconic and awesome. I too first saw her on the Saturday morning cartoons. The figure seems smaller than I expected. Is it rebased? (+rep)
~P
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnormandin View Post
Hi,
The Tiamat encounter is excellent work. She is so iconic and awesome. I too first saw her on the Saturday morning cartoons. The figure seems smaller than I expected. Is it rebased? (+rep)
~P
Tiamat is a bit small compared to what you see on the Animated Series. The figure is actually The D&D mini Aspect of Tiamat. She will just barely fit on a double base. But I didn't actually have the guts to do it. The image at the top of the first page is "shopped" from two pictures: one with Tiamat on the column and the other with the base on the column.
Old March 6th, 2011, 12:46 AM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The card says "for each that is wounded", but I don't see anything that explains how wounding individual heads works. Am I just blind or is that explained somewhere else?

Old March 6th, 2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
The card says "for each that is wounded", but I don't see anything that explains how wounding individual heads works. Am I just blind or is that explained somewhere else?
Part of the strategy of taking down Tiamat if figuring out what you want to Target. Normally wound markers would go on a card and yet Tiamat has a character sheet.

"When Tiamat is attacked any of 5 heads or her wings may be targeted. Wound markers are placed on each head or wings accordingly. Each head that is wounded is considered incapacitated and she may no longer use it's specific attack."

also

"If all of Tiamat's heads are incapacitated then she may attack once per round using any of her Range 1 attacks."

The specific combat instructions are found on page 2 the Tiamat Battle Scenario under Special Rules. You really need both pages to play Tiamat. Plus I have added a Special Move and another Special Attack that I haven't tried out yet.

Spoiler Alert!

Once everything is ironed out with testing and such I'll get to making up a PDF with hi-rez printable pages.
Old March 6th, 2011, 07:59 PM

pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blatimus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnormandin View Post
Hi,
~P
Tiamat is a bit small compared to what you see on the Animated Series. The figure is actually The D&D mini Aspect of Tiamat. She will just barely fit on a double base. But I didn't actually have the guts to do it. The image at the top of the first page is "shopped" from two pictures: one with Tiamat on the column and the other with the base on the column.
Hi,
Yeah, I thought it might be because other pics had the d&d base still. I'd be skittish about rebasing her too, you probably paid a pretty penny.
~p
Old March 9th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

This guy may give you some ideas if you want to go really epic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Last edited by quozl; March 2nd, 2023 at 05:33 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios > Dungeons and Dragons Scenarios