Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Notices

Old May 18th, 2006, 01:48 PM

Big Simon has disabled reputation
In which we discuss what to do with hotlavadeath.com

Okay... so back when HS.net shut down, there was an immediate scramble to get another community site together. Uranus P. Chicago, I believe, set up a temporary forum at ezboards (I think) where the future of the Heroscape fan presence on the net was discussed. As a result, I purchased the domain "hotlavadeath.com" and started prepping it up to become a community site.

Two hours before I had it ready, Glasswalker appeared and announced the opening of HeroscapeHQ.

Subsequently, I was told that I should not make a community site, since that would divide the Heroscape fanbase, which was seen as a bad thing. So... HLD.com has sat, pretty much unused, for nine months now. Oh, I've tested out some software there and have used to to host images for my online D&D games and the like. But it never got used for anything Heroscape-related.

I had some people make suggestions - storage for HQ images, a webcomic, a site dedicated to customization - but I never acted on any of them (and honestly didn't find any to be options I was willing to work with). Now I've got this domain, am moving to faster servers... and have no clue what I'm going to do with it.

If you have some radical idea - something off the wall - I'd love to hear from you. I wouldn't mind seeing the site used by the Heroscape community for something - that is, something more than just a repository for images, as the domain is far too cool for that kind of limitation.

What do you think?

I really don't play this game anymore, but sometimes I miss it.
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:49 PM

countblah has disabled reputation
Is Homba still there?
Old May 18th, 2006, 01:53 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Big Simon
hotlavadeath is too freaking cool. I hope to see some good creative uses for the domain presented here.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:05 PM

Big Simon has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by countblah
Is Homba still there?
Nothing is there right now... nothing and nobody.

EDIT: That sounded so forlorn. *chuckle*

I really don't play this game anymore, but sometimes I miss it.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:06 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Simon
Quote:
Is Homba still there?
Nothing is there right now... nothing and nobody.
Not nobody not no how!
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Huge Fanboy

Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Hahnarama is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Is Homba still there?
LMAO!!

GAME OVER Moon Pie!
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
If you open it back up again, and people go there, I'll go there. I always thought it was cool. But it turned into the place people went when they got too angry with the HQ, and it wasn't really worth doing any more.

What if you devoted HLD to alternate rule sets? We've got custom figs and customs maps coming out our collective bung, but not enough alternate rules, or ways to use the pieces outside just playing HS.

Example: I've made an RPG using HS rules. People are discussing the advanced HEX rules. Grungebob made a set of dungeon rules, and BadCalvin made a very cool set of campaign rules.

HLD could be like the high-brow place where people go to discuss serious alternate rule sets. Entire new games could spring up. This community is cool, but it's scattered in focus, and our creativity seems to be limited to what any of us could do. Discussing rules and whole new games would be intellectually stimulating and could be tons of fun.

If I did this, and it was my site, I would absolutely not allow off-topic threads. No 'General' place to post, no political or religious baggage, just hardcore rules monkeys. It could be like the Forge for people who like Heroscape.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:36 PM

KeeperOfPeace is surprisingly tart
I would love it if there was more indepth custom rules.

IMax, a PM coming your way.

Old May 18th, 2006, 02:39 PM

daevablacc has disabled reputation
I think InfinityMax, Manginess, has a good idea here. But I don't know if we want to take that stuff away from here... Hmm...
Old May 18th, 2006, 02:51 PM

Runehardt has disabled reputation
It needs to be something that sets it apart from this site. Something that makes it a little unique.
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:03 PM

dlaw008 has disabled reputation
Quote:
What if you devoted HLD to alternate rule sets? We've got custom figs and customs maps coming out our collective bung, but not enough alternate rules, or ways to use the pieces outside just playing HS.
Personally, I like the idea of a 'wonk' or 'mechanics' site. Something where customs (be they figures, rules, terrain, etc.) really are the entirety of the site. Forums should be available only to discuss the custom works. Heroscapers is a nice discussion forum, but another site highlighting downloadable files would be excellent.

I believe that there are probably a lot of people who approach the Heroscape online community only as a method of enhancing their existing games, and who are not interested in becoming a member of a ongoing community discussion. They just want to find new rules, new units, and new terrain; they want to suck it up to their hard drive; and then they want to log off.

Just my .02.
-Doug
Old May 18th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Daev, I want it away from here because here is too diluted. You can discuss anything you want here, which is great, but it also serves to create a total lack of focus. There have been several threads at the HQ that discussed new rules, but they get drowned out in the white noise of the hundred or so other threads going on at the same time.

If HLD was devoted entirely to the really hardcore rules hackers, we could have a lot more ability to focus and get feedback. The people who visited would generally have a lot more to add, because they would be there specifically to discuss the rules.

Of course, there is no reason the sites have to compete. This talk of splitting the community or whatever is complete bunko. That kind of talk does more damage than having two sites. This site can link to that site, and vice verse. When a rule set is deemed ready for the public, it can be posted here and archived there. I know I can't be the only person capable of directing my browser to more than one site a day.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online