Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old August 8th, 2010, 05:11 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness
River of Blood - What's your army idea?

I got to take my first crack at the River of Blood campaign last night. My wife and I and another couple played two River of Blood campaigns side by side and our adventuring parties were as follows:

Allied Army 1 (my army):
Ulginesh (150)
Chardris (90)
Emirroon (80)
Arkmer (50)
Kyntela Gwyn (20)
Syvarris (100)
Ontonashi (10)
Total 500

Allied Army 2:
Axgrinders of Burning Forge x2 (140)
Migol Ironwill (110)
Mogrimm Forgehammer (120)
Darak Ambershard (60)
Johnny "Shotgun" Sullivan (65)
Total 495

The elf wizard army was fun and I made it into room 3 before everything came unraveled after Othkurik Acid Sprayed my start zone on his first order marker. See: http://www.heroscapers.com/community...61#post1168161

I didn't get to watch the dwarf army too closely, but I know 5 or 6 axegrinders died in the first room and I'm not sure how many got second wind. The dwarves didn't advance past room 2.

What army ideas do you have to take into the River of Blood?
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:26 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker
Re: River of Blood - What's your army idea?

One I've thought about is this:

Major Q9
Rhogar
Kaemon Awa
Raelin+Otonashi/Atlaga

Yeah, I know, it's got Q9. If you prefer Nilf, you could sub him in and use Raelin without 'nashi. I really like Rhogar in these adventuring parties; he's got the special attack to counter Drow and the like, and his healing is pretty reliable.

Last edited by Frylock; August 8th, 2010 at 07:09 PM.
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:29 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

I'm still not feeling squads in campaigns very much, but I could see a single squad of Dwarves or Knights played conservatively with their Heroes to give some OM flexibility.

I'm running through with a party that contains a Hero from each general
Mogrimm 120
Tandros 120
Atlaga 90
Heirloom (proxied) 90
Thorgrim 80

Atlaga got creamed in the first room and managed to second wind ok. I'm hoping he'll make it to Room 4, for the chance to one hit Estavara. Heirloom's Mage Hand is definitely going to make the difference with Gylph-grabbing. Mogrimm's slight iniative advantage has been performing. Thorgrim and Tandros were pretty much just chosen for workhorses and fluff and for that they've done perfectly fine.
Old August 8th, 2010, 05:43 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I second Rhogar: He's got decent offensive abilities and he can bring back second wind figures. While I haven't played RoB yet, I would take:

Rhogar 110
Raelin 190
Q9 370
Kaemon Awa 490
Otonashi 500

Make a pod with Raelin in the back,Q9 in the center and KA/Rhogar in front. Oto is there to fill points and be a last resort.

Cheesy? Yes. Gets the job done? Probably.

For theme I would probably play Sonlen, Rhogar, Valguard, and Kaemon Awa. In my experience Ana and Tandros are not that good-Ana is too unreliable and Tandros is just okay, but lacks in offensive power (IMO)
Old August 8th, 2010, 06:45 PM

ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker ElvenEnvy knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvenEnvy View Post
Mogrimm 120
Tandros 120
Atlaga 90
Heirloom (proxied) 90
Thorgrim 80
This army just got rocked in the Second Room by my opponent who is playing Hydra and Feral Troll x2. I'm just gonna try again till Bolt of the Witherwood catches. I'm kind of wishing I brought a healer along, but sooner or later I'll pick up the healing glyph.

@ S1R
I like playing Tandros and Ana because of the skill I developed playing them in the last Dungeon Crawl, but there are better options out there (i.e. Q9 and cheerleader/healer). One thing I like is how it's easy for Ana-Dros to grab treasure glyphs and use them compared to something with a special attack or has to stay in their pod. If you play Q9 you could ignore the treasure glyph, but then the opponent may take them and make good use. If your using Tandros on his own he's good to protect glass cannons like Atlaga.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:31 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frylock View Post
One I've thought about is this:

Major Q9
Rhogar
Kaemon Awa
Raelin+Otonashi/Atlaga

Yeah, I know, it's got Q9. If you prefer Nilf, you could sub him in and use Raelin without 'nashi. I really like Rhogar in these adventuring parties; he's got the special attack to counter Drow and the like, and his healing is pretty reliable.
Nilf/Kaemon/Rhogar/Raelin was my first thought. I, too, like Rhogar for this (and in general ). Raelin, also. Sir Denrick, for the big boys. But, of course, Kaemon is the best hero for dungeons. I expect to face mostly heroes. Without Nilf, I might have trouble with squads. It's not clear to me how many spaces in the start zones there are.

120 Kaemon
110 Rhogar
100 Sir Denrick
90 Atlaga
80 Raelin

160 Sonlen (less reliable healer, but Dragon Swoop may pierce otherwise difficult defenses)
120 Kaemon
100 Sir Denrick
80 Raelin
40 Theracus

Next Generation

Last edited by kolakoski; August 11th, 2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Shurrak is Utgar!
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:39 AM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I've been thinking about a Microcorp/Q9 build. In theory it seems like it would be strong, but I guess I'll have to try it out to see.

Microcorp x2 (200)
Major Q9 (180)
Raelin (RotV 80 plus 40 point filler; or SotM 120 plus 20 point filler)

More Microcorps:
Microcorp x 3 (300)
Major Q9 (180)
20 point filler

There is a lot of water in RoB for the Microcorp to take advantage of, especially in the first room where you can get water and high ground. Major uses his special attack to take out Drow, rats, etc. or his hard hitting normal attack from range to pound on Hydra and other high defense heroes/uncommons as they come across the board.
Old August 10th, 2010, 11:57 AM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

ANA KARITHON-100
RAELIN THE KYRIE WARRIOR (RotV)-180
TANDROS KEEL-300
NILFHEIM-485
ISAMU-495

Ana and Raelin work well together in this mostly-Utgar dungeon. Tandros is built for the dungeon crawl. (Incredible survivability) Nilfheim is your range/power player (and if he reaches room 4 intact, lizard king) Isamu works well in any situation.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old August 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness S1R_ART0R1US wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Can't use Isamu-he's Utgar. You need to use Otonashi instead.
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Online HS League Champion

Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness Bengi wears ripped pants of awesomeness

In my first attempt I tried:
Aubrien Archers x2
Erevan
Raelin
Darrack
Greater Ice Elemental
Otonashi

It made good use of the 12 start zone spaces, but the low attack of the Archers made it tough to take on some of the tough heroes. Darrack and the GIE are fantastic at this scenario and I would definitely try and include them in a strong build.

Next time through I will try:
Tandros
Ana
GIE
Darrack
Heirloom

Easy to get the glyphs and lots of attack force. Mika is a figure I'd like to work into a build as well.

I also want to see how well steamroller would work. The last room may be a bit tough though as you'd probably be down to less than 1/2 of your capuans. (you also have to start with 2 less due to start zone limits)
Old August 10th, 2010, 02:49 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Jotun 225
Nilfhiem 410
Kelda 490
Otonashi 500

I just finished playing this army through the campaign. Kelda actually saved my bacon several times throughout the four rooms. Otonashi mainly grabbed glyphs when necessary. Nilfhiem and Jotun were truly amazing, mostly steamrolling through all four rooms(With a rather high level of difficulty on the last room especially). Regardless, they made it through, and I have an even GREATER respect for this combo!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old August 10th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorthan313 View Post
Jotun 225
Nilfhiem 410
Kelda 490
Otonashi 500

I just finished playing this army through the campaign. Kelda actually saved my bacon several times throughout the four rooms. Otonashi mainly grabbed glyphs when necessary. Nilfhiem and Jotun were truly amazing, mostly steamrolling through all four rooms(With a rather high level of difficulty on the last room especially). Regardless, they made it through, and I have an even GREATER respect for this combo!
Just curious, did you have Nilfiem walk a lot or did you take the wound and fly him? I believe all of the rooms have the stalagtite rule so that if you fly (without stealth flying) you have to take a wound. This would slow Nilfiem down a lot and make it more difficult to get into position for Ice Shard and maintain height. Not that he still wouldn't be amazing in the campaign, but it has to hurt a little bit.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion