Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 30th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Spread the Word: Involve more FLGS

I really wanted to post this in the News forum, but decided to start it here. Maybe with enough response it can be moved there later. I want to throw some ideas and info out there and I hope this can become a community project to spread the word and popularity of our game.

Ok, back when WotC took over, one of the issues was the big chain stores carrying Heroscape. We have all read how much Walmart has screwed up with distributing our great game and Kmart and TRU backed out of carrying it. With it in WotC's hands, it opened the doors to the FLGS(Favorite Local Game Shop), or at least that is what they hoped. From what I have seen, that hasn't worked out as well as they hoped. I have read alot of posts that players have shops in their area, but they don't carry it. It's also becoming disconcerting seeing people list their collections for sale because they can't find players.

Now here's the project, it's really simple and I hope I can get alot of you on board with the idea because I really would like see Heroscape stay alive and continue. We really need to get more FLGS involved with distribution of Heroscape and we need to bring more people into the game.

I have a couple of people interested in Scape and we usually just game at my place, but I am going to start getting my group together every couple of weeks at the local shop. I feel this is key to our game's survival. The more exposure the better. So, I ask if any of you are willing to follow my lead on this?

There are alot of FLGS out there that do not carry Scape, so if you pull your game group there and involve the shop owner and attract new players, maybe you can get them to stock Scape.

There are alot of tools, information and great people on this great site that Truth started. So, if we can pool all the resources from this site and spread the word out there, it will be a better Scapeworld.

Here are a few things I plan to take with me to my game days.

Even though Scape has a simple ruleset, it can get overwhelming with all the cards and expansions, so AliasQtip's Quick Start Guide is helpful for new players. You'll want all your rulebooks* and FAQs 12.2 *with you for those who want more information than what is on the guide. When we introduce new players you definitely want to direct them to Scapers. Don't forget your extra dice and markers in case someone new wants to join in. Accessorize, don't forget some of the neat extras on the site. Who doesn't love game accessaries? Take your dice tower, custom dice or just your General dice with you. I plan on putting together a couple of Dice Bowls so the newbies have something cool to roll in. WE have to get them hooked guys.

Word of mouth is our best promotion. We all know WotC is slacking in this area, BAD. The Hasbro site has not been updated in a couple of years, we are waiting on D2 right now and WotC has nothing but the MS on their site. They release no news there about releases or anything. It looks like they have left it to this site for the most part, so I say we take the reins and have a more active roll in promoting Heroscape.

Any suggestions, links or input is welcome and I hope alot of you will join me in this project.

to those who already do things like this.

Scape on!

Helpful Links:

If you wish to pledge to spreading the word at your FLGS, please PM me and I will add your name to the list.
Scapers Pledged to Spreading the Word
Spoiler Alert!

A big to lefton4ya for this: Spread the Word: Involve your college gaming group

And don't forget:
*And let's be sure that any new people we introduce the game to, we teach them to play the rules correctly.

If you are just looking to get into Scape, I have plenty of terrain to get you started!

Last edited by xraine69; September 29th, 2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:07 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Re: Spread the Word: Involve more FLGS

This is one thing I would love to do, except I and my friends all think our local Game store is creepy. The owner just died, and I guess the son is taking over, and he is exactly like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons and all the regulars are extremely into D&D & Magic and the typical "Gamer" type who I can tell have not showeerd in awhile while most of my friends who play have a life and usually add games to a night of hanging out otherwise at one of our houses. There is another game store by where I moved that I might want to play at, though.

I guess I should bury my pride and get people to play at a gamestore for the sake of the game, as that may get gamers to add heroscape to their collection. An alternative is have a map set up in your house and invite some friends of friends over for just hanging and when they ask "what is that cool looking set-up" you say, "Heroscape! Want to play?" it has worked to get me and one or two friends hooked.
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:12 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Good idea.

In my limited experience Preaching 'Scape, I have found both shop owners and shop regulars interested in one major feature of HeroScape:

Terrain.

It's also a modest selling point that, for now, new figs are also from D&D and are D&D compatible, and that the DDM Guild (or whatever) has given our figs the stamp of approval.

But in my limited experience, when you are selling the 'Scape experience to FLGS owners & regulars it's the *terrain* that will dazzle them.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old July 30th, 2010, 12:19 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Talk about Creepy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper View Post
Good idea.

In my limited experience Preaching 'Scape, I have found both shop owners and shop regulars interested in one major feature of HeroScape:

Terrain.

It's also a modest selling point that, for now, new figs are also from D&D and are D&D compatible, and that the DDM Guild (or whatever) has given our figs the stamp of approval.

But in my limited experience, when you are selling the 'Scape experience to FLGS owners & regulars it's the *terrain* that will dazzle them.
Rolling off DaddyScaper's advice, and I know there are alot of maps already, but would a couple of our top cartographers be willing to put together a few "Demo" maps? An epic, but simple map, low build time, multiple expansions, asthetically pleasing and able to play 2-8 players?

Lefton4ya, what if I'm one of those creepy, smelly gamers?* That is one stigma some of us need to get over. I have been in many a shop and alot of people I have gamed with, that is all we had in common. Outside the shop we had totally different lifestyles and interests. It's only 1 day every 2 weeks, and you may wind up being able to hold events at the store. My shop is in an old strip mall and they have the empty shop next door as JUST play space. If I can get enough interest, I have plenty of space for events. Don't forget you will have some of your friends there to protect you. I have very little traffic in my house, that's why we need to get into more FLGS.

*Disclaimer: I'm not!

Creepy Part:
Ok, that was weird...I got up to fix some oatmeal and when I sat down, my laptop was on the events calendar. But, that's not a bad idea. If we all list our games days and location in the Event Calendar, maybe some of the lurkers on here will show up.

If you are just looking to get into Scape, I have plenty of terrain to get you started!

Last edited by xraine69; July 30th, 2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:59 PM

AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla AliasQTip is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I read your thread and I think it's a great idea. I was going to try it myself in one of our local shops but they ended up closing - a bunch of great guys in there too. The other shop in the area (which carries only one HS expansion at a time, and has me as the only 'Scape customer) if full of smelly (literally, smoking - cough, cough, choke) WarHammer gamers who wouldn't bother with our kid's game. I hate going in there but I can hold my breath and put up with the rude owner if it gets my hands on new 'Scape.

EDIT: Dang it - I'm empty. Sorry.
Old July 31st, 2010, 04:31 AM
Founding Member of C3G and C3V

Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby! Griffin rolls all skulls baby!

Props to you Xraine for trying to encourage others to spread the gospel of scape. The only way to keep any game alive is to buy it, and so nudging others to buy it is a good thing, if you can of course.

However, it is a double edged sword IMO; Stop buying Scape and it dies. Keep buying this DnD Scape, and Classic will never return.

As I stated in the PreNovember Release Thread, I belive that the more successful DnD Scape becomes, the much less likely Classic will return. But we can hope. Oh, and it is OK to do some of this [] too.
Old July 31st, 2010, 07:42 AM

CanScape has disabled reputation

Word of mouth is great...organizing a mini-tournament would be even better. I'm thinking of doing one in the near future; only problem is, the game that I'd be showing them isn't the game that they'd be able to buy...at least not locally. Heck, any of the larger dragons would be tricky to find in a FLGS.

I think that setting up some fun games at an FLGS to showcase HS is great, but the only way to do that would be to use the DnD stuff. Which is cool...even better if that store carried some of the older waves which are available now. Or some of the large expansions.

The 'wow' factor in HS is usually in setting up some truly epic battlefields, and then having at it. The better selection of troops, the better. Luckily, there's plenty of cool stuff to show from the DnD line. Set up a few castles, people would dig that too.

As for people selling off their collections...oh well. People can do what they want but usually those are decisions which, a few years later, are regretted. And for those with really big collections, why even bother selling?...you've got enough stuff that people can just play using your figures (that's what I do), at least among friends.

I can't see any Warhammer fan being that much different from a Heroscape fan, at least in theme. I'm planning on converting some hardcore WH friends into HS fans...I'll report how that turns out, but here's what I'm thinking: "Man, we really like this game but how can we get the stuff you have?!?"...lol. I'd take periodic reprints of our waves over total redesign of rulebooks and army lists every four years anyday!
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:16 PM
Scenariographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanScape View Post
Word of mouth is great...organizing a mini-tournament would be even better. I'm thinking of doing one in the near future; only problem is, the game that I'd be showing them isn't the game that they'd be able to buy...at least not locally. Heck, any of the larger dragons would be tricky to find in a FLGS.

I think that setting up some fun games at an FLGS to showcase HS is great, but the only way to do that would be to use the DnD stuff. Which is cool...even better if that store carried some of the older waves which are available now. Or some of the large expansions.

The 'wow' factor in HS is usually in setting up some truly epic battlefields, and then having at it. The better selection of troops, the better. Luckily, there's plenty of cool stuff to show from the DnD line. Set up a few castles, people would dig that too.

As for people selling off their collections...oh well. People can do what they want but usually those are decisions which, a few years later, are regretted. And for those with really big collections, why even bother selling?...you've got enough stuff that people can just play using your figures (that's what I do), at least among friends.

I can't see any Warhammer fan being that much different from a Heroscape fan, at least in theme. I'm planning on converting some hardcore WH friends into HS fans...I'll report how that turns out, but here's what I'm thinking: "Man, we really like this game but how can we get the stuff you have?!?"...lol. I'd take periodic reprints of our waves over total redesign of rulebooks and army lists every four years anyday!

There are two points to this idea:
  1. To get more FLGS carrying Heroscape product
  2. To introduce more people to Heroscape
You can organize your Gameday however you feel appropriate. To start, I am just going to get a couple of friends together at the shop every 2 weeks just to expose the game. My shop does carry Heroscape, now I am just trying to get more interest, in turn hoping to help increase sales in my FLGS.

Last edited by xraine69; July 31st, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
Old July 31st, 2010, 12:47 PM

Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker

I've been talking about setting up a demo with my FLGS here. I'll try to build a huge display with as many figures on it that I can get, then maybe have a smaller map where I'm playing someone to show how the game is played. The place is owned by the same person who owns Twin Cities Comics (which is where a bunch of us scapers meet once a month) and he's been real supportive of heroscape. He even let us hold the 3T tourney at his store this year.

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of darkness
Old July 31st, 2010, 01:12 PM
Scenariographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trav11111 View Post
I've been talking about setting up a demo with my FLGS here. I'll try to build a huge display with as many figures on it that I can get, then maybe have a smaller map where I'm playing someone to show how the game is played. The place is owned by the same person who owns Twin Cities Comics (which is where a bunch of us scapers meet once a month) and he's been real supportive of heroscape. He even let us hold the 3T tourney at his store this year.
Great idea and hope it goes well. With Walmart being the only big chain store carrying Scape and we all see how great that is, the FLGS and online dealers are the main outlet. The more FLGS we can get involved with Scape, the better.

Old August 1st, 2010, 10:15 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Xraine69, I wanted to drop in a pointer to a similar thread from a couple of months ago where I was looking for community tips on how to present 'Scape to an FLGS owner.

For a 1-on-1 session with the owner, I didn't bring a map. I brought a variety of types & sizes of terrain tiles and threw something together in front of him, and I brought images of tourney-type (and Rogue A$$a$$in-type) maps for him to get an eyeful of what is really possible. I did *not* bring Dr. Weirdscaper maps because, as much as I enjoy looking at them, I thought they might be a bit too Weirdscaper. But I wanted him to see construction in action, so I brought the loose terrain, and I think that was the right call. I also brought the quick reference sheets referenced in the thread because I think it helps demonstrate how simple the game is at its core.

I also demo'ed with order markers and the dice *but* in my limited time I followed the excellent suggestion of managing the results. An FLGS owner does not need to see more skulls than shields to understand that *if* there were more skulls than shields, the defending squaddie is destroyed.

I also brought a bunch of units for him to paw but kept the demo armies extremely small, making sure to include a variety of types of units. Commons and uniques, heroes and squads, etc.

Also his time was valuable, these guys are often the only ones behind the counter & have other customers wandering in and out, etc., so be prepared to be efficient with your time.

As I said earlier, what interested him most was the terrain, and in our local history of events here, at least recently, FLGS regulars have also been more interested in the terrain itself than anything else. Any one of our Maryland regulars feel free to jump in if I'm wrong, but that's how I remember it.

Excellent and most worthy mission, xraine69.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 1st, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old August 1st, 2010, 11:52 AM
Scenariographer

Thanks again Daddyscaper for your input and support of this project. I added that thread to the links section.

I wanted to point out that I'm not asking everyone to go out and set up Demos. That concept can be intimidating to some people(me). If you are comfortable doing it, by all means go for it!

The main thing I am asking, is that if a shop or shops in your area has dedicated play space, then just hold a gameday with your group there every couple of weeks. Let the shop owner and bystanders see the fun you guys have when you Scape.

Word of mouth people!!!

Also, would anyone be willing to design a generic Gameday flier? I don't have the programs or expertise. Something that catches the eye in appearence, but is "ink" friendly, space for: date, time, location and format, that can be "filled in" by user.

Thanks ahead of time.
xraine

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion