Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old December 30th, 2009, 08:24 PM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!
tannergx's Maps - Null & Voids added 2/11/2013

Welcome to my map index. I value feedback from people that play my maps, so if you download please comment. Titles link to the build instructions.

Latest Released Maps:

Null & Voids

Uploaded: February 11th, 2013
Known Tournament Use: N/A

Build requires: 1 x Marvel: The Conflict Begins, 1 x Battle for the Underdark, 1 x Fortress of the Archkyrie

Hotstepper

Uploaded: February 1st, 2013

Build requires: 1 x Marvel: The Conflict Begins, 2 x Road to the Forgotten Forest, 1 x Volcarren Wasteland

The Incubator

Uploaded: January 25th, 2013
Known Tournament Use: Northwest: The Great Thematic Wars - 2/9/2013, Peoria B-List Tournament - 2/9/2013, Westchester, PA Monster Mash - 3/16/2013

First map of 2013, although I've been iterating on this map for well over a month now. Back to using SoTM + TJ as the basis, and added VW for the new twist. The idea here was to compensate for the minimal LOS offerings of SoTM by using lava fields to promote advancement from the easy to reach elevations.

Build requires: 1 x Swarm of the Marro, 1 x Ticalla Jungle, 1 x Volcarren Wasteland

Remains Of Clionesia

Uploaded: May 14th, 2011
Known Tournament Use: Rocky Mountain Rumble 2011 - 10/15/2011 (Battle Report)

Third take on an RotV + FotA build as outlined in R˙chean's call for new maps. Incorporated uncapped columns to represent pillar ruins, and create multiple points of LOS protection. An illegal build, but fun nonetheless.

This is the 3rd version, recently revised after some heavy play in Online Heroscape. Based on feedback, the perch from the original was removed, the advantage of defending against entry from road has been lessened, and ease of entry should be roughly on par for 5 movers as it is 6 movers (but it's still pretty hard for both).

Build requires: 1 x Rise of the Valkyrie, 1 x Fortress of the Archkyrie

Burnin' and Bushes

Uploaded: June 13th, 2012

A bit of the new mixed with a bit of the old here for me. Lots of things to hide behind, and lots of road to travel. I still don't know what I'm doing with RoTV, so this one sprawls a bit. And I'm not all that confident with lave fields. But I think it all works.

Build requires: 1 x Rise of the Valkyrie, 1 x Fortress of the Archkyrie, 1 x Road to the Forgotten Forest, 1 x Volcarren Wasteland

Kermode Swamp

Uploaded: May 12th, 2012

A new take for me using Swarm + RttFF. With Infested Glade, I focused on trying to get the 2 x 24 hexes on Level 2. In retrospect, I think keeping them low frees up tiles that would otherwise be needed as support. Really pleased with how this one turned out - I think it might be the best map I've ever built.

Build requires: 1 x Swarm of the Marro, 1 x Road to the Forgotten Forest

Concept Maps and Scenarios:
Spoiler Alert!

Maps With Tournament Use History:
Spoiler Alert!

Maps Without Tournament Use History:
Spoiler Alert!

Early Uncapped Columns Series:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by tannergx; March 17th, 2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: New map and clean-up
Old December 30th, 2009, 08:28 PM

Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker Creationist knows what's in an order marker
Re: tannergx's Map - Heavy Ticalla

That looks like a great map. Nice job!
Old December 30th, 2009, 11:47 PM

Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby! Arcus rolls all skulls baby!

I like your first attempt at a map(for this site anyway). Keep it up.

My Maps
Upcoming M.A.R.S. (Mid-Atlantic Regional 'Scapers - PA/MD/NJ) Events Thread
Old December 31st, 2009, 01:04 AM

tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby! tannergx rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks both Creationist and Arcus for the encouragement.

Scape terrain takes me back to days with Lego, and my first instinct is to build something that looks handsome (to my eyes). I'm still at the very early stages of learning how to optimize builds for playability. So I welcome any criticism as well.
Old December 31st, 2009, 03:28 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Very nice map. I am always very surprised with what can be accomplished with SotM and TJ. The thinness of the map is really cool too.
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:25 AM

Re: tannergx's Maps - New Map Updated 1/6/2010

I've added a 2 more maps this week. Both use Swarm of the Marro with just a single Ticalla Jungle set. To do so, I've found myself leaving the starting zones completely exposed.

I'm torn about this approach. On the one hand, I don't like games that get won by suicidal players that use range and get lucky with big attacks in the starting zone. I'm not sure why I don't like it - it just feels inelegant and unworthy of victory or something. On the other hand, full on turtling also sucks, and I try to not reward that type of play. So when economizing the jungle pieces on the last 2 maps, I kept or moved them to the middle of the map thinking it maintains the rewards of the advancing player appropriately.

I'm curious how others feel about completely exposed starting zones, and use of jungle more generally.
Old January 9th, 2010, 01:46 AM

Re: tannergx's Maps - Split Decision added 1/8/2010

Added yet another map using 1 x SotM and 1 x TJ today - "Split Decision." My recent obsession with this terrain selection has led me down the path of bilateral symmetry, trying to optimize the use of the 3rd palm tree. It's also a really flat map (only 2 levels of terrain in the build), and I've incorporated a glyph for the first time in a way that I think adds to the map.

So while it uses the same materials as my other maps, I think it is very different in both aesthetics and gameplay. If you download and play it, I want to hear what you think so please leave a comment.

And with this release, I'm forcing myself to switch up my materials a bit. I'll add a different expansion to the mix at a minimum.

Last edited by tannergx; January 9th, 2010 at 01:48 AM. Reason: Grammar and ommitted words
Old January 9th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: tannergx's Maps - Split Decision added 1/8/2010

Your maps just get better and better. Still living with the Marro looks very, very nice. As to Split Decision, I've been waiting a while for someone to combine bilateral symmetry with split start zones, some of the coolest map making techniques, IMO.

Keep 'em coming!
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:38 AM

Re: tannergx's Maps - Jaguar Altar Ruins added 1/10/2010

Thank you for the kind comments Rednax. Split Decision was a pretty technical map to lay out, and I found myself limited in the shapes available. But getting to use that 3rd palm in a symmetrical map made it worth it. And that was my primary motivation.

I think limiting myself to Swarm of the Marro and Ticalla Jungle has really helped me focus on the importance of each hex. There is just so little terrain in those sets that I find myself continually questioning what each placement adds. To that end, I'm really critical of Heavy Ticalla right now, but I can't bring myself to delete it. There are just so many jungle pieces that add little more than aesthetics... although they do protect the starting zones, relieving some anxiety for less aggressive players. I'm leaving the option for now: Heavy or Light, let the players pick.

On the new front, I've modified Still Life with Marro to include glyphs on the high ground 7-hex tiles. On the one hand, it seems wrong to place glyphs on high ground where they are more easily defended. But I think adding them helps the map breath, taking the focus away from the middle low paths. This alone should help melee, but I also think the glyphs give melee armies a valid reason to take the hills other than avoid congestion. And by further incenting ranged opposition to move forward, instead or turtling on the rear elevations, it gives melee the benefit of having to travel less ground to engage. For players that played without the glyphs, I would love to confirm or disprove that this change is positive.

I've also added a new map, "Jaguar Altar Ruins." As promised I've added a different expansion to the build materials - the Fortress. The name comes from a relief found at Mayan ruins of the same name. The relief included carvings of winged Mayan warriors. Mayan Kyrie warriors... I couldn't resist.

The revised and new maps are available in the first post of this thread. As always, if you download and play them, please comment and let me know you think.

Last edited by tannergx; January 11th, 2010 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Added reference to initial post in thread.
Old January 13th, 2010, 05:04 AM

Re: tannergx's Maps - Troltic Paradise added 1/13/2010

I've added what I think will be my last new map for the time being - "Troltic Paradise." There were times where I thought I might have jumped the molten shark on this build. I'm going to focus more on playing the heck out of my maps to date as I'm seeing 4 with "version 1.01" next to their names.

It seems like some people are downloading the builds, and I'd love to get some input from other players than myself. Please feel free to comment, or even drop me a PM if that's more your style.

All my maps, including Troltic Paradise are available in the first post of this thread.
Old January 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM

Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sujoah wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I noticed on Split Decision that you actually used too many sand tiles. Under the sand 'island' near the blue start zone, you used an extra single- and double-hex sand tile. but, this can be easily substituted with the triple-hex rock tile, that isn't used in the map build.
Old January 16th, 2010, 10:41 PM

hobosock is surprisingly tart

Your maps are looking pretty good! In your later ones I think you've balanced out the downsides of having open starting zones by splitting them and making the maps shorter. This way ranged figures don't have as many turns to pick off the unprotected figures before they get drawn into the battle.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios