Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old February 5th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
"Do Unto Others" at 570

I pre-build armies for my group sometimes. It's easier if I have some little self-made rule to follow. This last round, I decided to make all macho-type armies... the heroes would be Marvels and big monsters, and the squads would be all the scariest ones you don't want to come up against. Support heroes and blockers were de-emphasized, although a couple did still make it on fear factor alone. Point total was 570. So here we go:

Team Obvious
320 Silver Surfer
150 Venom
100 Krav Maga Agents

If you're too cool to hide behind girls like WoA or Nakitas, you'd better be able to protect yourself. These are three of the most self-sufficient (and cool!) attack units out there.

Beyond Obvious
370 Hulk
180 Q9
020 Marcu

The classic unit you don't want to fight and the superhero you really don't want to fight. You might be thinking about downgrading Hulk to Abomination, then adding MWs or upgrading Marcu to Sullivan. That's not how it works in this format, buddy! You gotta have the biggest and the strongest!

Republican Hardliners
220 Captain America
210 Charos
140 4th Line x2

The most patriotic American in existence. A bunch of white guys clinging to guns and religion. And a Giant. Dragon. Possibly the army that best exemplifies what "Do Unto Others" is all about.

Quick Reaction Force
190 Red Skull
185 Nilfheim
185 Zelrig
010 Isamu

Zelrig and Nilfheim don't really have huge synergy with anything, but every hero has synergy with the Skull, so there ya go.

Certain Doom
360 Thanos
120 Grimnak
080 Blade Gruts x2
010 Otonashi

It would be morally wrong, but I would love to play this army against a new guy. "He's allowed to do what? And he's allowed to do WHAT? I hate this stupid game!"

V for Victory
210 Braxas
240 Glads x3
120 Blasts x2

Swarms aren't really the most macho thing to play, but so many armies just hate facing these guys... it would have been wrong to sit them out. A Giant. Dragon serves as a fig leaf.

Triple-Ugly
220 Tor-Kul-Na
160 Su-Bak-Na
135 Wo-Sa-Ga
060 Nagrubs x2

I had a version of this that used Stingers x2, but all three Hivelords was definitely more in the spirit of things. I gave the 5-point allowance because they've got no range, while all opponents have certified grade-A range.

Fast Acting Pain Relief
185 Sujoah
080 Spiders x2
120 Kaemon Awa
060 Zetacron
120 Venoc Warlord

This army doesn't have the hardest hitters, but go down the list and look at the first-strike capabilities: 8 move with flying, 7-9 move, 7 range, 5-7 move and 8 range, and 7 move with slither.

At this point, Jotun and Krug were the biggest guys I hadn't used yet, and rats and Stingers weren't represented, so...

Big and/or Bad
225 Jotun
120 Krug
120 Stingers x2
080 Deathreavers x2
025 Dumutef Guard

I love it when stuff works.

I don't know when I've ever had such a good time making a game night's worth of armies. It was a lot of fun to goad my brain into ignoring efficient units like Raelin and Cyprien and load up on two-hexer after two-hexer, slugger after slugger, with just the occasional common range. You should try it sometime if you're stuck in a tourney-induced rut.
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:07 AM

Bahde knows what's in an order marker Bahde knows what's in an order marker
Re: "Do Unto Others" at 570

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhight View Post
It would be morally wrong, but I would love to play this army against a new guy. "He's allowed to do what? And he's allowed to do WHAT? I hate this stupid game!"

Yeah - been there before as some jerk rolled him back to life.......what was it? 7 times in one game?!? (I think I speak for Chuck and Aaron both on this.......that was no fun until we ganged up on you. lol)

That looks like fun, you should see my white board the week of our tournies.....to keep track of my figs I list all the armies the kids (and the couple that borrow from us) are using - and then sort out mine with whats left.
Old February 5th, 2009, 08:43 PM

kpotassiumk19 is surprisingly tart

The problem with super heroes are:
They cost too much

Almost like Taelord

They are good for high point value games, but in the 500-600 range, they aren't as good. Plus my friends and I agreed not to use them because they are annoying and there is no strategy for them so it takes away the whole fun of the game.
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:01 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanos
Cyprien
MWs
Isamu

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Nice armies, but why 570 points?

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsons Scaper View Post
Nice armies, but why 570 points?
I was messing around with Valiant armies. The Cap/4th/Charos army was exactly 570, so I just left it there and made the others fit that total.
Old February 5th, 2009, 09:58 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker

Oh ok! Thanks for clearing that up!

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion