Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Old January 5th, 2009, 07:44 PM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!
Question Help needed: Applying a wash to a figure

I'm man enough to admit that I have no paint skills whatsoever. However, I've been told that applying a wash to a miniature is relatively easy and can bring about great results to an otherwise previously lackluster figure.

I'd really like to do this with several MageKnight miniatures, as all too often their paints are flat and boring with little to no wash whatsoever.

My question is this (if not yet completely obvious):

Does anyone have any tips/tutorials on how to apply a wash to a figure so as to accent finer details, thus making the figure look better? Technique doesn't have to be preschool level so long as steps and materials are explained.

Any help is greatly appreciated. And if there is a thread I overlooked completely, neg my rep and post the link.

Thanks!

.:: .H3X. | Click here to check out bloggy goodness! :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:05 PM

DeadEye is surprisingly tart
Re: Help needed: Applying a wash to a figure

I could have sworn I saw someone show a tutorial or something on this site....but I have looked and couldn't find it...
Another place to look could be on a Warhammer (40,000) site since that requires people to paint the miniatures and some use washes....

But from my own experience....
Supplies
Brush (size depends on area of wash)
big brush for larger areas and a small one for smaller areas
Black Paint (I use acrylic, but do not know if it matters a whole lot)
Water
Canister

Start off with the cannister/bowl of some sort and place an amount of black paint in it. (Amount again depends on how much wash you are needing). Then you will want to slowly add water, while mixing it in with the paint with the brush every time you add water. Once the amount of water you added is mixed in dip your finger in it and get some one it. Then hold it up and the wash should be runny and shouldn't be very dark. It is up to you with how light or dark you want your wash so use more or less water.
Then for applying the wash i just brush along the places that have crevices/grooves that I want to stand out. If runny enough it will amount in those places, but if too runny it will just wash off, and if not runny enough it wont amass in the grooves/crevices. So you want a nice runny texture (yet not too runny).
I then keep adding the wash until I get the desired look. I let it dry and then look it over and add more if needed.

I hope this helps....
and good luck on your washing

DeadEye
</IMG>
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:36 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

A wash is the easiest technique to use, don't even stress it. The above pointers were good.
So here's a few more pointers in a DUMMY PROOF TUTORIAL!!!!

To get easy practice, mix black accryllic paint and water in an upturned 2 liter bottle top. Make the mixture thin enough so that when you paint it on newspaper you can still read fairly easy but it leaves a gray "high light" on the paper.

Take 2 figs you want to practice on.

Paint 1 entire figure with the mix.

Compare the two figs to see exactly what that mix did.

Adjust paint mixture accordingly to make darker (or less) shadows.

Cheers.
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:45 PM
Old and Boring

Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness Fuzzie Fuzz wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What Deadeye said is just what I do, except that when you put it on your finger, it should highlight the grooves while making everything else a shade darker.

EDIT: DrRansom's works too, but I like the finger idea better. +Rep to both of you!

Grinnell College '16
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Watch out - he's a meme drunk!

Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Mr Migraine is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This blog entry by truth is a tutorial for the castle set, but it will work on figures, too.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:04 PM
One time at band camp...

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

http://www.heroscapers.com/community...light=painting

Here's a thread someone showed me when I asked the same question you just did.

I won't neg-rep you, though.

...I can't... *Grumble, grumble*
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:12 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I'll add my two pesos . . .

For my washes I use the above method but I add in a little Future acrylic floor polish. Think of it as thin paint with no color. It helps the flow of the paint better than just water alone. I also use ink sometimes, although the colors can be a little too strong.

And washes don't have to be just black. Any color can be used as a wash, even lighter colors for highlighting. It's also good to layer washes, building them up to the density you desire. Since they go on light and thin, they are good for blending and shading.

On these figures you can see shading on the capes, most of that is paint and not lighting from the photo. This was done by building up layers of thin washes. Dark for the shadows and light for the highlights.
Old January 5th, 2009, 09:48 PM

DeadEye is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pyre View Post
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...light=painting

Here's a thread someone showed me when I asked the same question you just did.

I won't neg-rep you, though.

...I can't... *Grumble, grumble*
that was the thread that I was looking for.....nice..
+rep

DeadEye
Old January 6th, 2009, 12:28 AM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher View Post
And washes don't have to be just black. Any color can be used as a wash, even lighter colors for highlighting.
Yeah good point! An old WH trick was wash in red over silver for rusty look or yellow over red, white and orange for a glowing effect.
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Resident Artist

hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby! hextr1p rolls all skulls baby!

This community is forever amazing!

Thanks so much to everyone who chimed in thus far. Just wanted to post a quick note expressing my gratitude. And if anyone else has any comments or tricks, keep 'em coming, as I'm very interested to hear anything knowledge on the subject you care to drop.

.:: .H3X. | Click here to check out bloggy goodness! :: SotW 31 ::.
"An out of print game is not unplayable. It is simply more treasured."
Old January 6th, 2009, 09:46 AM

pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby! pegasus rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRansom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher View Post
And washes don't have to be just black. Any color can be used as a wash, even lighter colors for highlighting.
Yeah good point! An old WH trick was wash in red over silver for rusty look or yellow over red, white and orange for a glowing effect.
Actually, you'll want to use terracotta and orange washes for rust. Red is just.. well too red.
yellow can indeed be used to lighten orange or red, but you cannot use it to glaze white. White cannot be made any lighter than it already is.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:54 AM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'll just add that I've noticed that sometimes droplets of wash can accumulate a bit too much in narrow crevices where you don't necessarily want that much. The edge of a paper towel will blot them nicely, and allow you control over where you're picking up the excess.

If you've got too much in general, a gentle rap on the table top will knock the largest droplets loose, while still leaving most of the properly-dispersed wash in place.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions