Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old May 24th, 2008, 03:49 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!
Blogs vs Threads for Displaying Maps

I have a question for the HSers cartographers--which do you see as a better way to post your maps: old-school "Thread" method or new-fangled "Blog" method? I just recently started posting my own maps using the Blog method (I had heard the suggestion from one of the admins to use the blog feature for posting maps), but I am not sure it is the optimal solution.

Giving it a little thought, here are some arguments for each method:

In favor of Threads
-Easy to scroll through comments and discussion
-Each comment increases your thread visibility
-No duplicate posts to notify the community of updates/index posts
-Higher visibility in Forums vs Blog feature (arguable)
-Possibility of Rep for exceptional map designs

In favor of Blogs
-Comments organized neatly below the main content
-High level of overall organization
-Makes use of a new site feature
-...?

I guess I'm mostly posting because I was having a hard time seeing convincing reasons to stay with the Blog method. It's a great system for one-off posts and commentaries, but if there's a great reason for posting maps to a blog then I'm missing it.
Old May 24th, 2008, 09:31 PM

Heroic Monkey is surprisingly tart
Re: Blogs vs Threads for Displaying Maps

I'd say stick with the old-fashioned map thread unless you were doing something explaining each map in detail (like a tutorial). I also think people are more likely to notice your maps in a thread.

Last edited by Heroic Monkey; May 24th, 2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:45 AM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

So does that seem to be the consensus?
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I would say the same, but things like V's dominate map feature, is a great thing for a blog.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old May 25th, 2008, 02:24 AM

Rifier_Ace is surprisingly tart

I personally like the thread way better. The biggest reason for me is because your thread will get a lot more notice than your blog.
Old May 25th, 2008, 03:13 AM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

I say a map thread. But if there's a particular map that you want to expound or give a review, then I suggest to feature just that on a blog.

Use the blog as "front page." If you think you have a map that is "front page" worthy compared to your other maps, then feature that one on the blog.

Perhaps putting a link on a specific map from the thread to a blog is optimal. Say...this is a pretty good idea! Thanks!

(Can you have blogs even if you're not a site supporter?)

Last edited by Ugly-Caco; May 25th, 2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old May 25th, 2008, 11:28 AM
is late for dinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco View Post
(Can you have blogs even if you're not a site supporter?)
I was under the impression that it's site supporter-only.
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM

Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker Dread Pirate Fooflesnort knows what's in an order marker

I'd say that using a thread is best, since you will get way more atention. I, for one, almost never look at blogs unless someone posts a link for it.

GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Old May 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Fooflesnort View Post
I'd say that using a thread is best, since you will get way more atention. I, for one, almost never look at blogs unless someone posts a link for it.
Yeah like Ninthdoc's sig. I got suckered reading his blog.

Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:12 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

My thoughts are blogs all the way on things like maps.

I see it in this light. Threads = something to be discussed Blogs = something to be commented on.

So for personal creations like maps and custom units for people to weigh in with comments on blogs seem to be a better format. For things like Map design discussion or custom unit design discussion as a whole threads are a better idea.

In all reality our personal project efforts are not going to garner much conversation, rather just small blurbs of input.

Sure the blogs are less visual for dedicated forum browsers... but are they less visible to the average guest? And will they become more viable with time? Not if no one is willing to abandon the old way of doing things.
Old June 2nd, 2008, 01:15 PM
Beautiful Colby

truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer truth is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'll also add that a map or customs thread will never get a front page highlight in the thread of the week, but that is exactly the kind of blogs I'd like to highlight. The whole reason I found this thread was because I was considering highlighting your map blog in my next 'of the week' post and then was disappointed to see your latest post abandoning it.
Old June 3rd, 2008, 02:59 AM
is late for dinner.

Well, I'm not abandoning it, per se. My primary issue with the blog format is the visibility. Every comment in the thread brings it back to the top of the forums; though people may be reading the blog area of the site, new comments on each post do not increase the post's visibility. (Yes, I know there is a "recent comments" section, but I think it would be much better if formatted as a "blogs/entries with recent comments" section.)

Also, I guess with the blogs it's harder to get people to discuss instead of comment, and I like the feedback and ideas that are generated in thread-style discussion. I suppose I could disable blog comments and direct people to my thread, but that pretty much amounts to posting the same thing twice (since I have to post to the blog and link to the thread, then post a teaser pic in the thread and link to the blog). Seeing as it's not double-post spam, would this be an acceptable use of the site?

The blogs are a really cool new feature, but I think it will be difficult to make changes to a system that wasn't broken to begin with (and actually has some desirable features). I see a huge need for incentive to change over. It needs to be easier or have more features to display maps in a blog, and right now neither of those is true.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios