Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online
Scapers Online Discussing the online HS community

Old May 1st, 2008, 01:49 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Index to Excellent Threads and HS Resources

** Note: I have updated this thread - see the INDEX 2.0 for my current work collecting excellent threads for Scapers. **

Due to the number of excellent threads that I keep having to search for again and again, I have decided to make an index of threads I consider excellent or use often (putting it in my sig makes it always easily available to anyone--thanks to Kroc for the inspirational example; everyone is welcome to include it in their sigs as well--availability of information is my goal).

Praise for the Index (mostly included here for kicks and giggles ):

If I were new to this site and wanted to plunge, full force, into the heart of the very best of HeroScapism; the first post in this thread would be the best reading list possible at the moment. - Revdyer

- Cavalier

Whether unfamiliar or versed in the game, The Index is requisite lore for any and every 'Scaper. - Soul Shackle (who also added a useful tinyurl to this thread: http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu)

I welcome suggestions for any significant threads that I may have missed--and I totally understand if you also just skip right over this thread, no need to read it at all. I know that many of these are stickied, but even then I forget which forum it is in (Competitive vs. Official, etc.). If you are giving suggestions, I recommend a PM, that way if I decided not to use it there is no public record .

*This is a continual work in progress*

Heroscape Notebook - Threads for reference (ones that I print and keep in a notebook)

Synergy in Heroscape...Visually - Ryougabot's awesome visual reference to all of HS's synergy--great for army-building
Heroscape Stat Cards - I like these as printed sheets for reference in a notebook; BGG source
Trading Card Sized Cards - These work better as stand-alone, smaller versions; thanks Raudulfr Shieldcrusher
Heroscape Power Rankings - spider_poison's classic and much-debated rankings, with Jexik's color-coding
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners - simple guide to HS by LongHeroscaper
Battlefields of Valhalla (Best of Tournament Maps) - Display - the best of the best for tourney maps; thanks to all involved!
Heroscape Official Scenarios - I love the variants these bring to a game
Points Costs for Individual Wounds/Squad Members - Each unit listed by relative value (for those that use partial points) - thanks boom and Oogie Da Bruce

Other Excellent Reference Threads (but ones I don't usually print out for various reasons--usually just because of the amount or flexibility of data involved)

Sisyphus' Probability Tables
Best use of attacks against squad figures
Heroscape One-on-one matchup calculator
The Definitive List of Definitive Lists
Heroscape Omnibus
Gary's Heroscape Website (and thread on Scapers)
Heroscape on Wikipedia - I'm not a Wikipedia fan, but I've found this to be a decent resource at times
Heroscape Magic Number / Sweet Spot Compilation - excellent work by mccombju
Synergy by Attribute and Synergy by Recipient - two very useful and thorough guides by Killometer

Units

Battleplan: A Heroscape Army Builder (and thread on Scapers)
The Books of Heroscape in PDF
Heroscape Army Builder (and thread on Scapers)
Unit Strategy Review: Index
The BOOKS of Heroscape INDEX
Figure Suggestions for WotC - make your suggestions here; thanks to Kroc for keeping this updated
A Study in HS Unit Genres - thanks to Just_a_Bill for the graphs; update forthcoming
Factions in Review - Dredd Stev analyzes major unit groupings in Heroscape
What Makes a Unit "Bad" - Mr. Migraine examines the so-called bad units of HS (leading to many other Scaper insights)
Master Index of Figure Based Threads - MKSentinel's massive index of threads discussing a broad range of HS units
XXXX Point Army - An index of potentially competitive armies (thanks Killometer)
Heroscape Power Rankings - spider_poison's classic and much-debated rankings, with Jexik's color-coding

Rules

Rules questions to Hasbro
Rulebooks - PDF
The Advanced FAQ - "recommended reading for any scaper" - R˙chean
Hold the Phone!! - a lighter look at rule oversights (thanks, keglo, for giving us Rule-Breakers Anonymous .)
The Reality Regarding Rules Revisions - Aeston's look at rules revisions--and the impact on HS
The Dice-Rolling Magna Carta - funrun's excellent look at fair/fun dice-rolling (not official, but very well done)
The Top 10 Most Frequently Overlooked (yet [ab]used) Rules - Jexik
Clarification on Special Attacks and bonuses - Cavalier

Maps/Terrain

Beyond King of the Hill - Better Map-making (rdhight)
Building a glyph pool - rdhight
Velenne's Map Review Blog - excellent resource
Velenne's Tournament Maps and Fun Scenarios - excellent maps, great resource!
Heroscape Map Database - Eckels' master list of maps
Resource: Terrain sets contents - SoulShackle's remarkable visually enhanced listing of all terrain set contents
Virtualscape - link to download page
VirtualScape for first-time users - LongHeroscaper'svery helpful guide to one of Scapers' best resources
Battlefields of Valhalla (Best of Tournament Maps) - Display - the best of the best for tourney maps; thanks to all involved!
Heroscape Official Scenarios - I love the variants these bring to a game
How to share your maps with the world - LongHeroscaper's excellent intro to sharing your maps
Cartographers of Valhalla - An Index of Mapmakers - Dignan's master index
GenCon Map Contest 2009 - R˙chean's push for more maps for tourney use
The Tournament-Worthy Asymmetric Map Workshop - ollie's move to broaden our map-making

Tournaments (just beginning this section)

Simple PNP Tourney System
- thanks, Grungebob, for an accessible tourney system
Sisyphus' Tournament Director - I haven't used this yet, but hope to (seems to have good reviews)
Tournament Scoring Methods: A Census. - ollie's examination of current tourney scoring practices

Product

List of Heroscape Supplements - Wikipedia's listing of all HS products; so far it seems thorough and accurate
What Should You Get? The Waves Ranked - boosters and sets ratings based on the Rankings (gamjuven)
UPC Bar codes for existing Heroscape sets - for all the collectors out there (thanks, lonewolf and Just_a_Bill)
A List of Heroscape Product's Sizes & Weights (For Shipping) - thanks to cosmosis (and markwars) for this incredible list
A rough Guide to buying Commons - Einar's Puppy offers thoughts on how many of each common to purchase

Strategy Guides

Heroscape Competitive Rules of Thumb
The Injex - Index of all of Jexik's excellent threads, such as What's in an Order Marker
UPC's Excellent Strategy Blog
Strategic Maneuvers/Tips and Tricks Index
Tournament Armies Played
Gencon Championship - Armies Played - thanks to lonewolf for compiling this
The Idiot's Guide to Making a Competitive Army
Competitive Tournament Champion Armies - a must read for the competitive minded player
ARM - Anti-range movement - melee armies of the world unite!
Soul Shackle's Strategy Threads and More - includes low-cost counters to heavy hitters
Shame in using A+ units in tournaments? - an interesting (and somewhat divisive) look at armies at tourneys; thanks, Hogg.
The Breakdown of a Competitive Army - KCU_Master_2007 combines excellent previous threads to rethink army building
Cookie Cutter Army Discussion and Tiers - Jexik

Administrative Threads

DropBox for Site Improvement Ideas
Title Advocacy Thread
Your HSers REPUTATION And You

News

truth's front page blog
Official Wizards Feedback Thread - Take 2 - thanks to bunjee for cleaning things up for us!</SPAN>
(Now Archived) Official Wizards Feedback Thread (Summary pg 1) - also Jexik's useful hub for WotC feedback

Old News

2007 GENCON NEWS
I need help finding photos wave 8 sets - GenCon 2007 and Wave 8 info/links included
A Who's Who to Wave 8 and 8.5 - excellent, easy-to-use guide by HeroscapeLunatic--thanks!

Other Excellent Threads

Embrace the Suck - rdhight's insightful look at units and their worth
HeroScape Color Theory (teekay predicts Aquilla and makes color matter)
Before Heroscape - Aeston's history of HS's genesis</SPAN>
Geek is NOT a Bad Word - A Little Advice on Girls & Scape - Dredd Stev
The Truth about Truth! - some great history on Scape and Scapers--thanks TheMainMan and hextr1p (second page)
My Favorite Games Are The Close Ones - Grungebob
Tournaments Are Fun - Jexik
100% Theoryscape - Sarpedon has begun an insightful look at several aspects of HS
Best Thread List: TheoryScape, MathScape, and The Meta Game - wriggz' own excellent index thread--very nice work!

Wriggz' Compilation of Theory-based Threads:

Army Sweet Spot
Beating the Dice
Mastering the Game
Too Much Common
Luck and Skill
The Importance of HeroScape
Variance and Power- At Odds?
Jokerism: Art of Mindsgames
Heroscape Color Theroy
Thoughts on Competitive Unit Pricing

Game Nights/Family Play

Heroscape Game Night Ideas! - Gomolka's review of ways to spice up a game night
heroscape family - includes family HS suggestions and markwars' famous "sandbox letter"
The Dynamics of a Free-For-All - Dredd Stev offers good advice for FFA game play
Introducing new players - a hub for many links and threads on how to spread the Heroscape virus

Game Variants

Add-Ons Heroscapers Should be Aware of ... - A list of homebrew additions that may just improve the game ...
Quests of Heroscape - Thanks to Teamski, Malechi, & Nether (and markwars for the reminder)
Command Cards - straight to the download page (thanks to jbbnbsmith and Malechi for these)
HeroScape Automated Battle Rules - also a more direct link: http://briefcase.yahoo.com/stilettogames@sbcglobal.net (Thanks to Edge0001 for these--fun and flexible! We use them for team play against an enemy force.) (Update: Here is a local link on Scapers.)

The Draft

I need an easier way to draft... (Soul Shackle)
Custom Drafting Rules (Low Point Rule) (Xotli) - not a long thread, but good ideas
Draft/Counter Draft (cavie)
Draft Tourney..... (Alastair MacDirk)
The Surprisingly Tart HeroScape Draft Wizard (netherspirit/Reqman) - discussion thread
My Way of Drafting (Cleon--thanks Necro for mentioning it)
Heroscape Game Night Ideas! - Gomolka's thread includes lots of great drafting options
Counter-Drafting Notes (rdhight)
Reinvigorating the Draft - (1Mmirg) comments welcome

Storage

Hahn and Bunjee's Stanley vs. Plano Smackdown - the greatest battle of storage ideas ever
Storing the Jungle? - what to do with these new pieces (thanks Finrod for getting the thread started)
nether's - Stickers, etc (PG13) - lots of goodies in here (thanks nether!)
Cavalier's Storage Labels - just what it says
Card storage? - ideas for keeping your army cards safe and sorted
Card protectors? - I've seen several of theses (and use them myself)--very nice way to keep your cards safe
Portable Storage for Large Collections - thanks Blue Dane (and others) for sharing
Just_a_Bill's RotV-box Heroscape Collection Storage System - great way to re-use all those Master's set boxes
Spider Box Posse (aka New Tourney Box) - Onacara's wonder
Storing Figurines - lots of players share their ideas in this thread

For Fun

The Adventures of Chedwick and Sven Comics
- hilarious, simply hilarious
TSA..Toy Sneaking Anonymous - all too true...
Chiefs Easter - no comment needed
Extreme Map Builders: Post Your Monsters Here - inspirational (and sometimes insane)
Dr. Weirdscape's unparalleled maps - simply amazing (though nothing simple about these...)
Character Battle- Main Thread - a great idea and often insightful
Heroscape Figure Count - nobody is really keeping track, are they? (Killometer has got this going again--thanks!)
Remarkable Post Counts - thanks to Rev for giving us a way to memorialize our significant post cost moments
Heroscape Party Fouls - Velenne's guide to not-so-official rules
Heroic Relationships - Soul Shackle's compendium of units' relations to one another
Origins of HS Names - nice compilation of character name origins
A Heroscaper's Bucket List - thanks to Dredd Stev
Ask Papa-'Scape - thanks for the laughs, Rev!
Your MBTI personality and the Heroscape effect - Myrkidia Giant incorporates MBTI to HS (Field Marshalls Unite!)
Academics Anonymous on Scapers: Editorial Board for JoHS - meeting of the nerds
Dragonslayer's MOAM - about as funny as HS can get--excellent stuff in here!
Mooseman's Heroscape Photos - best of the best
Unit Battle Royale 2009 - a fun contest that offers an insightful glimpse at unit popularity (and a bit more)

Customs/Repaints (I know little about this aspect of the game, so any suggestions here are welcome; these are a few that I have used. I'd love to get the link to the Castle repaint/wash cover article that was done a long while back for example. I didn't put in the excellent Custom stickied threads, because these are easy to find and I never forget where they are .)
Index Thread: How-to's/Recognition for Custom Creations - thanks to bunjee and funrun
funrun's HS Repaints - includes exclusives
Rocktroll's excellent Exclusive Figures Repaints - A How-To Guide to all
Come here if you want to paint your own GenCon exc. and EOV - includes links to the exclusive cards (& Basic sides)
Beginner's Painting Tutorial
whitestuff's advanced gimpshop tutorial
Heroscape Blank Cards and Symbols - thanks netherspirit and Doc Savage
Grishnakh's Custom Terrain - arguably the best of the best
Ren's Terrain Mods/Tutorials - Renquist's guide to some terrain mods (some pretty stuff in here)
Raudulfr's Custom Terrain - (this exact link is to his dice tower tutorial, so I can find it again, but the whole thread is great)
Repainting the Castle - tips from Grungebob and others (a more conversational tutorial)
sportcult's custom terrain - unbelievable
Comics Customs Creators Guild - the C3G - a new look at supers in Scape
Mercenary Map Makers Guild - M3G - super maps

Netiquette & Scapers Online

Forum Conduct Please Read
- Heroscaper's Official Guidelines for Participation (GrungeBob)
Smart Mouth Responses to Innocent Questions - GrungeBob: "How is my response helping the community?"
Scapers and Your Safe Internet Experience - ninthdoc: "use common sense"
The right way to enter Scapers! - Shades fan's intro to how to join Scapers in a positive way
Welcome aboard! - Aldin's welcome to new members, includes overview of site and resources
If you happen to want my respect (or rep) here - Revdyer (brief but excellent comments--a must read, I believe)
An Open Letter to "Help Me Build an Army" Threads - Nooblargives good advice for using Scape to build an army
Meet Other Scapers Index - Zorgophlats' helps you get started meeting new players near you
Positive, Productive Posting - my own thoughts on making our posts more valuable and meaningful
Poll-ution - Onacara talks about the ins and outs of polls (read before making a poll, please!)
Better Posting and You Revisited - Miniature Geek's we-wish-it-were-just-humorous take on posting (if you TXT, please read it)
NOTE: Before Posting Your Question... - Soul Shackle's excellent FAQ for new Scapers (read it before posting a question)
Noobs and You - Dredd Stev insightful look at how we treat new members here at Scapers
Scaper of the Week - Index - Thanks, H_e_H for putting this great idea together

Local Ones (feel free to ignore these if you aren't in FL )

FLORIDA organization
South Florida Game Days

Mine

Reinvigorating the Draft - additions, comments, suggestions welcome
A Study in HS Unit Genres - thanks to Just_a_Bill for the graphs; update forthcoming (someday...--Yeah it happened!)
Genres in Heroscape: A Study Revisited - finally updated my look at genres; your insights are welcome
The Index - you're reading it ... (with tinyurl now, thanks to Soul Shackle: http://tinyurl.com/6x3wlu)
Academics Anonymous on Scapers: Editorial Board for JoHS</SPAN>
Introducing new players - a hub for many links and threads on how to spread the Heroscape virus
Positive, Productive Posting - my thoughts on making our posts at Scapers more valuable and meaningful
Mmirg's Moderately Marvelous Maps - my map thread

Need a plasticrack fix?

HouseMouseGames.com
HabroToyShop.com
Current HasbroToyShop.com Promo Code and an excellent offsite source as well (thanks lothar42)
War Gamers Headquarters - direct link to Heroscape section; main site: wargamersheadquarters.com
Online Shopping Guide - awesome resource, thanks Billtog!
FLAGS - great compilation of HS-friendly local gameshops (thanks, Shades fan)
Heroscape Price List - Jay Cain brings order to online HS shopping

Main Sites

Wizards.com - and the store finder link (find store, start a gaming group--a recipe for fun--cf. here as well)
Heroscape.com

Last edited by 1Mmirg; May 4th, 2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Just trying to get it all in :D
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:13 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Index to Excellent Threads and HS Resources

Excellent tool! now that is hard work.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Thanks! (I figured it was better than doing a separate search every time I can't find one of Jexik's threads!)
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:21 PM
Forums Good I Has

J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker J-Unit94 knows what's in an order marker

You forgot my threads!

Old May 1st, 2008, 04:34 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice. Tis helpful, a lot of those threads get linked to in posts, especially the probablity ones. It's a great post, consider your rep boosted. *edit: well that'll have to wait until I rep boost some other people. You are just making too many good comments, lol.

I thank you kindly for putting some of my threads in there.
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:51 PM
Adrian Monk

Thanks. These are some of the ones that I link to or I see people refer to, but now I have the link always with me--just look in any of my sigs and these are available. (Again, I credit Kroc for the spark of inspiration.) No more searching for the thread by rdhight again; just click on "Index" .

And thanks as well for having written several of these. It is appreciated.

(No worries on the rep--I have that problem all the time: I see something great by you, Jexik, Rev, etc. and think "Yeah, that deserves rep"--then, oops, I have to give rep to someone else before I can give to them...)
Old May 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I like this. I bookmarked it just now. Hopefully, I can get a thread in there someday. I just skimmed it, and didn't see this, so I'll ask. Can we submit threads for this?
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:02 PM
Adrian Monk

Thanks! And, yes, thread submissions are welcome. My goal is to try to gather some of the most useful (or in a few cases just notable) threads into one place. If you have something that fits--please let me know.

I hope I do have some great threads by you (and J-Unit) at some point.

At some point I will also likely include a few more blurbs (and even new sections), so that as the list grow it is still accessible and usable.
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:05 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Nah, we don't need J-Unit's. I'd like to nominate this thread for it. Just see what people say if this thread is one of the links in this thread.
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:06 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

You do know that this will eventually look like the main Forums page on this website don't you? All the submittions of great threads (and they may very well be great) will eventually overload and you will be forced to create another thread with the links that distinguish the excellent threads from the "uber-awesome" threads.

Until then I will enjoy this thread.
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:14 PM
Adrian Monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroscape Elffy View Post
Nah, we don't need J-Unit's. I'd like to nominate this thread for it. Just see what people say if this thread is one of the links in this thread.
You know I almost did list it, under "Mine"--then I blinked hard and the urge went away .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamjuven View Post
You do know that this will eventually look like the main Forums page on this website don't you? All the submittions of great threads (and they may very well be great) will eventually overload and you will be forced to create another thread with the links that distinguish the excellent threads from the "uber-awesome" threads.

Until then I will enjoy this thread.
Well, we'll see--you may well be right .

My goal is just to create a master list of threads that I believe are just shy of being "stickies"--I think that it will remain manageable, but we'll see...

(There are, you might say, only so many threads about which I find myself thinking, "Where is that again?" more than once or twice. Or that I want to quickly locate when I am on a school (or friend's) computer, that sort of thing...)
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:20 PM

Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death! Just_a_Bill is hot lava death!

Outstanding! Repped, bookmarked, promoted, osmoted, laminated, marked as required reading at Valhalla Polytechnic.

Seriously ... thanks for doing this.

This post isn't just cheesy, it's nacho cheesy.

Good traders: tdemirji, AbsintheAddict, Blubberguy22, Toa Matoro, SuperSamyon, Bl1ndsn1per, Ericth74,
Clipper423, Oh Freek, Nikkomon, DarthBaggins, quizzcode, Astroking112 & more on my trade list

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Scapers Online