Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old April 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Leave One Space rule (pictures included)

I want to briefly discuss what I refer to as the Leave One Space rule. In the following situation, Drake must engage Ne-Gok-Sa:

Drake may move closer to Ne-Gok-Sa, but does not have a high enough move to engage him on this turn. The closest he may move is here:

This is, of course, the incorrect move. It would easily give Ne-Gok-Sa the opportunity to move here and get the first attack with a height advantage:

(Note: IF these are the last two remaining figures, the absolute correct move is to move somewhere else on the map that gives you the height advantage and stall until Ne-Gok-Sa comes to you. This, however, is very Stinger Denail-ish and is something I, as well as most of you, would NOT do.) The correct move is to place Drake on this space:

This forces Ne-Gok-Sa to come down to your level to try and Mind Shackle and attack:

The advantage comes on your next turn where you move around Ne-Gok-Sa to attack from above, and that extra attack die may be crucial in pounding through that tough defense before you're Shackled or killed:

On Ne-Gok-Sa's next turn, he will most likely come up to your level, creating an even fight for the remainder, but you never gave up height to him, which favors you in the long run. So, leave a space for your opponent to come down to your level, knowing that on your next turn, you can move around him to gain the height advantage. This tactic will come into play more than once per game, so be on the lookout for the ability to use it.

Last edited by Soul Shackle; May 2nd, 2008 at 05:11 PM.
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:05 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth
Re: Leave One Space rule (pictures incl.)

Hey, nice post, Soul Shackle--a simple point, but one that my daughter is still learning (I'll have to show this to her; it makes it very clear/simple).

Completely unrelated, I need to learn how to use pictures more effectively. They help a lot in posting, but I have to admit I am completely ineffective/unknowledgeable... I like the idea of creating these computer-generated images rather than having to move actual pictures around--which program is this? (I suppose I have revealed too much ignorance to even ask...)
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:15 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker

I am continually surprised when experienced players fail to leave one space as you describe. I've tried to explain this to a couple of friends before, but they just don't seem to get it. They need to read this article. I've also had one player get mad at me for executing this tactic in an end game situation. Nice explanation of the "leave one space" tactic.
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:16 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

Good example! It is important to use terrain in a more intelligent way than simply rushing to get to the highest ground.
Old April 19th, 2008, 02:21 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nice article! Admittedly, I hardly even thought about this before, but I'm definately going to implement it in my next games!
Speaking of which, I think this suceeds, since I didn't know this before.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:12 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

This is great. I've used it before, but never thought much of it. Good job, Soul Shackle!
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:15 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth

Yep, this is definitely something every player needs to learn sooner or later. Nice post!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:20 PM

tdavid6 is surprisingly tart

Another thing on Negoksa's part, is that if Drake uses this tactic, Negoksa should move to a space adjacent to Drake in which the next turn Drake cannot get the height advantage if there is a hex open to do this.
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:29 PM

soberman knows what's in an order marker soberman knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle View Post

(Note: IF these are the last two remaining figures, the absolute correct move is to move somewhere else on the map that gives you the height advantage and stall until Ne-Gok-Sa comes to you. This, however, is very Stinger Denail-ish and is something I, as well as most of you, would NOT do.) The correct move is to place Drake on this space:
Wait, really? I'm not convinced this is "Stinger-Denial-ish" at all. For one thing, I can't imagine anyone disputing it, or calling anyone out for doing it, or posting that they would never want to play against anyone who would employ this tactic, or any of the other negative emotional and intellectual responses SD has incited. This is because, as you've said, it is the correct move. Stinger denial was never an axiom of HS the way "always get the high ground" is. It was never in the basic rulebook.

I don't want to be argumentative at all. I'm just kinda disparaged to hear that most people would NOT employ this move. Is this true? I sure would, and often do, because height is better than even ground anytime, and playing correctly...well, seems correct. I really don't fancy myself a "cheap" player at all. Once, in a moment of weakness, I fudged my order markers because I would have lost all my turns. I felt guilty about it. Usually, I inform opponent's if they forget to do something, or make a poor choice. Sometimes I don't, because people learn more by making mistakes, but never when it would be crucial to their survival. I even suggest army builds and unit tactics to opponents. Anyhow, I'm not the Super Atheist.

So, I guess I really want to know, is retreating something people refrain from doing? If so, is this just for tournaments, or does it extend into casual games? Also, why couldn't it a regarded as a valid tactic in a game that is designed to be tactical??

Last edited by soberman; April 19th, 2008 at 03:44 PM. Reason: fix image, clarify language
Old April 19th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Brief, well illustrated (great use of VS!), and a great point. Thanks for contributing this! (and, here, have some worthless positive rep points from me!)
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:00 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I think one of the most difficult things to remember to do, when in the middle of a battle, is to consider how far the opponent's figures can move toward yours. We all (almost) usually remember to count how far the enemy can shoot at us, but for some reason remembering to count the "charge!" spaces is more difficult (at least for me).

It's a nice little piece, Soul Shackle.
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Yeah but it is really only good for an attack of 1 turn. Because The very next turn Ne-Gok-Sa can move right next to you.
I thought that this was common sense, I do it all the time.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles