Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old February 1st, 2008, 08:29 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Base a Competitive Army Around: Ashigaru!

Round X of
Base a Competitive Army Around Competition:

The Ashigaru

Battle for the Pointy Hats

They cost less than dirt and play like it too. If you can't tell by now, I am speaking of Einar's Ashigaru. Indeed, it is not unfair to say that these poor soldiers have been the least used of wave seven. Can we reform these paper thin spearmen and copy-cat musket men to the heights of Heroscape's best competitive armies? That is the challenge before all of you today.

You are free make the army with whatever units you want, as long as you do not exceed 500 points. The only requirement is that the Ashigaru Yari or the Ahsigaru Harquebus need to be used in your army. Obviously, you should explain why you made the choices you did.

With that being said,

LET THE BATTLE BEGIN!
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:53 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I was considering bringing this to a tournament that had not starting zone restrictions.
5x Ashigaru Yari=200
5x Ashigaru Harquebus =300
Since you said competitive I will post This army.
5x Ashigaru Yari=200
Kaemon Awa=120
Q9=180

This army works because you send out Q9 to take out any major threats to the Yari and keep Kaemon back for protection against any one the Yari have trouble with. Q9 is basicly a distraction that I wouldn't expect to live long.I would use him to just get the job done and that is it. The Yari are the main focuse in this army and should hold off on advance until Q9 does his job. The first 3 turn markers should be placed on Q9 to take out the threats. Kaemon is in here because you need a clean up unit that is their just incase things get out of hand.

Now for the Harquebus!
2xTemplar Cavalry=240
3xAshigaru Harquebus=180
Me-burq-Sa-50
Guilty McCreech-30

Send Me-Burq-Sa and the Templars out quickly and hit as hard as you can as fast as you can because this army doesn't fair well over a long period of time While the Templars are doing their thing get height with the Harquebus and use Guilty as a distraction away from the Harquebus because your opponent with think he can deal with them later. I would suggest sending two seperate squads of Harquebus in diffrent Directions to avoid suspicion and then hit hard with them.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old February 1st, 2008, 09:55 PM

Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker Metaknight knows what's in an order marker
Chimpy! You're alive!

Yeah, another one! I wanted these guys, only I don't have enough of them, but I'll try!

Ashigaru Yari x2: 80
Ashigaru H. x4: 120
Raelin: 80

This is basically a 400 point army, like many use with 4th Mass. I figure it can work with the Ashigaru. Raelin gives them a bonus and the Yari sort of just defend.

See Valhalla like never before:
Airborne Elite in the
BYZANTINE CAVE...
Old February 1st, 2008, 11:49 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well, let's see. The Yari are basically dead weight. I can never seem to actually get them to the enemy without them being shredded to pieces with their amazing 1 defense. The Harquebus, though, are cheap and expendable 4th Mass that are easier to place in armies then the 4th. Considering the type of unit the Harquebus are, they're an overwhelm type of unit that can also double as 4th Mass-esque units with ol' Rae. You want at least 3 - the Yari make great proxies due to their similar pointy hats.
So let's go with 3 squads. We have 12 spaces in the starting zone used with 180 points used. Let's add Raelin (Old) to that as well, as she gives survivability to units that would otherwise have the life span of dragonflies, for 260 points and 13 spaces. Let's add Kaemon Awa also, as he allows you to adapt to any situation and tell you how you need to treat your Harquebus, for 380 points and 14 spaces. Lastly, let's add 2 squads of Deathreavers for walling, as the Harquebus can be deadly with Raelin's help and walls, and Theracus to get Kaemon Awa to the height to kick the game off to a good start. Then we are left with:
KAEMON'S RAG-TAG RIFLES
Kaemon Awa
Raelin (Old)
Ashigaru Harquebusx3
Deathreaversx2
Theracus
Total: 500
Spaces used: 24
The strategy is to open with the Deathreavers and just wall random things and get glyphs. Then you use Theracus to get Kaemon to height with Raelin, and slowly but surely bring the Ashigaru up to defend the area, leaving you with Super Ashigaru with Kaemon with Deathreaver walling. If the opponent has an army that won't allow you to get this off, start again with the Deathreavers, but open with Theracus + Kaemon and Raelin to buff the Rats, leaving Kaemon and the Ashigaru free to cause havoc.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old February 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM

NFCfan has disabled reputation
it is an obvious build but one could do

kato + 3x yari + 3x harquebus
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:14 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Raelin the Disciplined:

Kaemon Awa - 120
Raelin - 80
Ashigaru Harquebus x5 - 300

Total = 500

Who Needs Parmenio?:

Marcus Decimus - 100
Sacred Band x2 - 100
Airborne Elite - 110
Ashigaru Harquebus x3 - 180
Isamu - 10

Total = 500 (If I had some Ashigaru, I would definitely try this one)

Pointy Teeth and Pointy Hats:

Cyprien Esenwein - 150
Ashigaru Yari x2 - 80 (Vampire Food if needed)
Deathreavers x2 - 80
Isamu - 10

It's really sad that Vampire food is the best use I can think of for the Yari right now...

Total = 500

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM

OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker OmniMoose knows what's in an order marker
Ashigaru Yari x4 = 160 points
Ashigaru Harquebus x3 = 180 points
Deathreavers x2 = 80 points
Raelin (RotV) = 80 points

Total = 500 points

This army above is a mass army, great against power armies. Raelin boosts defense, while the Reavers move in and draw fire, The Yari move in behind the Reavers, with ranged support from the Harquebus. This army however would be ripped to pieces by DW8k, DW9k, or anything made to kill squads.
Old February 2nd, 2008, 10:57 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkDino
Ashigaru Yari x4 = 160 points
Ashigaru Harquebus x3 = 180 points
Deathreavers x2 = 80 points
Raelin (RotV) = 80 points

Total = 500 points

This army above is a mass army, great against power armies. Raelin boosts defense, while the Reavers move in and draw fire, The Yari move in behind the Reavers, with ranged support from the Harquebus. This army however would be ripped to pieces by DW8k, DW9k, or anything made to kill squads.
It's a great army. Too bad it's worst enemy isn't anything you've said. It's the Starting Zone.
You have a whopping 37 spaces used for Starting, so you have to kill 13 of your guys right off the bat due to starting limitations. So you are pretty much stuck with killing 13 of your 16 Yari. Plus, Yari and Deathreavers together seems redundant. It looks like the Yari are only in there to make this more Ashigaru themed.
I'd recommend removing the Yari, as they really don't do much. Any ranged unit will kill them within 5 seconds. Then, put in Theracus and Kaemon... oh wait, I've said that army before. Doh.

Old February 2nd, 2008, 11:20 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!
I know you said keep it under 500 points but I couldn't resist. Kato works well with them, and being 200 points he'd be good in a 1000 point army.

Kato 200

5x Yari
&
5x Harquebus 700 points

Kaemon 820

and something(s) else for 180.

I'm sorry, I could resist. I'll probably end up getting 5 packs of those anyways, And I like big start zones.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old February 3rd, 2008, 07:42 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades fan
I
5x Ashigaru Yari=200
Kaemon Awa=120
Q9=180

This army works because you send out Q9 to take out any major threats to the Yari and keep Kaemon back for protection against any one the Yari have trouble with. Q9 is basicly a distraction that I wouldn't expect to live long.I would use him to just get the job done and that is it. The Yari are the main focuse in this army and should hold off on advance until Q9 does his job. The first 3 turn markers should be placed on Q9 to take out the threats. Kaemon is in here because you need a clean up unit that is their just incase things get out of hand.
Of all the Yari armies here, I think I like this one best. Q9 and Kaemon should be able to out-gun almost any range your opponent can toss at you, and the Yari can kill any one who comes close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killercactus
Pointy Teeth and Pointy Hats:

Cyprien Esenwein - 150
Ashigaru Yari x2 - 80 (Vampire Food if needed)
Deathreavers x2 - 80
Isamu - 10

It's really sad that Vampire food is the best use I can think of for the Yari right now...
So how are you going to get the Yari close enough to Cyprien for him to use? It seems that once you get the Yari close enough to support your Vampire, they will shoot the Yari to shreads before Cyprien eats them all.
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:16 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
KAEMON'S RAG-TAG RIFLES
Kaemon Awa
Raelin (Old)
Ashigaru Harquebusx3
Deathreaversx2
Theracus
I think this may be my favorite so far, but as I'm not a fan of using Old Raelin, I'd put the new in place of her and Theracus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus
Who Needs Parmenio?:

Marcus Decimus - 100
Sacred Band x2 - 100
Airborne Elite - 110
Isamu - 10
I'll have to give this one a try sometime. Only thing I don't really like is only one bonding option.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old February 4th, 2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
KAEMON'S RAG-TAG RIFLES
Kaemon Awa
Raelin (Old)
Ashigaru Harquebusx3
Deathreaversx2
Theracus
I think this may be my favorite so far, but as I'm not a fan of using Old Raelin, I'd put the new in place of her and Theracus.
Thanks for the kind words! Using New Raelin is an option, as I too find her more fun than Old Raelin. The only problem is then you lose the versatility Theracus gives you. But using New Raelin is certainly viable.
As for the "Who Needs Parmenio?" army, I too like that one. I'm not so enthusiastic about only one bonding option, though. If Marcus dies, then you're stuck with 4 move Sacred Band. I guess the strategy is to pray that the Airborne Elite drop early so that an opening for the Sacred Band is made, using the Harquebus as back up?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion