Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old December 27th, 2007, 02:39 AM

theats has disabled reputation
Wow, Here is a what not to do.

I held a 3 on one test game today. IT was a completely flat map, and I had the hive, 2 stingers, 2 drudges, 6 drones, 1 marro warriors, KeMoShi, some rats and the hive for 900 points. I was going for the Marro theme.

On the opposing team (my brother and his two friends, its always a 3, 4, or 5 on 1) was the entire vampire family, the rechets, captain america, iron man, D.E.D, Isamu, and a squad of Marro warriors, in 3 100 point teams.

Several rounds in, my waves of drones cleared out the marro warriors, and Iron man as well, but i kept them away from america. They were getting angry because I was having it to where I went, one from their team went, I went, and so on and so forth, and that I was able to select from my entire 900 point army of who to use, as to where they were highly restricted, so they were going to quit if they couldn't share figures(BTW, these are all seniors). After several rounds, acptain america had obliterated my swarm, and my hive couldn't keep up, and the vampires were moving in. It came down to one rat, all of the vampires, minus Cyprien, The Captain with 2 wounds on him, and D.E.D. With y last rat, I got a wound on Dan, and my brother never used Marcu, so I never got that chance. We played without order markers, and his gloating was terrible, but we will get another game in tomorrow, with a complete map.

In your opinion(s), what went wrong?

Theophilus.
Old December 27th, 2007, 08:02 AM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
It is a bit difficult to say what went wrong, from your description, theats. First, I assume you were facing three 1000 point armies not 100 point ones as you wrote. Or, was it some other number? And you were not using turn markers, so how were you taking turns, one for you and then one for one of them and then another for you and then one for another of them? It makes a big difference.

I'd say you would have been better off playing two teams of two people and standard rules, or a standard four person last man standing battle.
Old December 27th, 2007, 04:12 PM

HeroscaperHuh has disabled reputation
A flat map?
1 vs 3 with 900 points vs three 100 points?
A flat map?
No order markers?
No order markers?

I agree with Revdyer about the 2 vs 2. Makes for much more fun

Before you criticize some one, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and have their shoes.
Old December 27th, 2007, 05:41 PM

Rodriquez has disabled reputation
ok I'm doing math and still not coming out..

entire vampire family..isamu, Capt, Ded, marro worriors, and iron come out to 3 woo point armies?

how?
Capt and Iron man alone are both well over 100 points...

good trades:Caravaggio, Gabbi, Drfeelgood,aljovin,vydar,rrhino,boom, Pallindromemaster, spidysox, Eckels, wytefang, Rym, Armegeddon, Fatboy Chubby, Forgehammer, Grison
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:13 PM

ultrajoebot has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroscaperHuh
A flat map?
1 vs 3 with 900 points vs three 100 points?
A flat map?
No order markers?
No order markers?
Agreed. I feel like you took out some of the most interesting aspects of Heroscape there. If you're looking for advice though, you might want to try a more balanced army. You had a lot of squads and almost no heroes.

Also, build a more interesting map and use order markers.
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker Fourshadow knows what's in an order marker
Re: Wow, Here is a what not to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theats
We played without order markers,

In your opinion(s), what went wrong?
That right there. Where's the real strategy or need for initiative if you are not using the order markers?

And the numbers simply don't add up either.

"There's right and there's wrong: you do one and you're living. You do the other and you may be walking around, but you're as dead as a beaver hat." John Wayne in The Alamo
Old December 28th, 2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer
It is a bit difficult to say what went wrong, from your description, theats. First, I assume you were facing three 1000 point armies not 100 point ones as you wrote. Or, was it some other number? And you were not using turn markers, so how were you taking turns, one for you and then one for one of them and then another for you and then one for another of them? It makes a big difference.

I'd say you would have been better off playing two teams of two people and standard rules, or a standard four person last man standing battle.
My apologies to either a typo or a misprint. It was in essence, 3 300 point armies against my 900 point army. It really just ended up being two teams, but one had three advisors or what ever you wish to call it.

They wanted to play a quick game, so I did away with elevation, and they refuse to try order markers. They say it ruins the fun and makes things overly complicated and long, but then again, they never tried. Free for all matches always turn out to where they all attack me first, and no one wants to be on my team, as their only goal is to beat me and gloat.

We played another match tonight, but rather than give a lengthy report, I will just tell you who really shone through.

Dead Eye Dan dispatched the silver surfer AND sonlen, and Thranos took down Kyntela Gwyn, Captain America, Realin, Nielfiem, Kelda, and a Sqquad of Blastatrons, but died once. I at least avenged my failed plans from the previous evening.

Lined up for tomorrow's match:

Me:

Braxas, Jotun, Grimnak, Heavy Gruts, Gladiatrons, Blastatrons, 3 squads of Aubrien Archers, 3 Squads of the Warriors of Ashara, sonlen, Kytele Gwen, Aclorah, SOTM Realin, D.E.D., Isamu, Iskra Esenwein, the Retchets of Bogdan, 2 squads of Death Stalkers, and Guilty McReach.

On my Brother's Team:

Hulk, Spider Man, Eldagrim, ROTV Realin, Finn, Thorgrim, The Silver Surfer, Q10, and Thranos.

I already know my brother's plan to 'deck out' Captain America with the three Vikings, but other than that, here is my proposed Strategy:

My Elves are all situated on a small hill, facing the enemy on an almost flat map(Right to left, in all instances), with Aclorah, Realin(SOTM), and D.E.D. at the top back, with Sonlen, Gwen, and Morsbane two levels beneath, with Gwen on a higher level, like a step, and the 9 archers starting from the left of morsbane, wrapping around the hill, two deep. The warriors of ashara are another level down to at the front and partially the sides of the hill as a buffer. They are all under Realin and Aclorah's powers.

This should be a nice defensive buffer. Knowing the counter striking abilities and high defense of his heroes, I have drafted the Retchets, Braxas, Morsbane, and the Death Stalkers to keep the counter effectiveness of certain figures at a minimum. I intend to use Morsbane on the silver surfer, and then on either thranos or hulk, and possibly spiderman, Captain America, or Venom, whomever is closest, but I feel the most useful negation would be to the Silver Surfer. I intend to take out Thranos Last, but with my somewhat swarm like Army, I might just end up locking figures down when they least expect it and opening fire with the archers from hight.

Any Tips/Suggestions?

Theophilus.
Old December 28th, 2007, 12:16 PM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
It's been my observation that the removal of order markers makes the game take longer...

When you use markers, you have to commit to a "round strategy", but on each turn, you only have to decide what is the best move for the selected unit or squad and then act accordingly. When planning for counter moves from your opponent, you can see which of his have unrevealed markers and you can essentially ignore any units that do not have markers.

When you play without order markers, you have to determine which is the best move for each unit and squad on the board, and then of all of those moves, which is the best for the current situation. When planning for counter moves from your opponent, you have to consider every possible move from every one of THEIR units.

Old December 29th, 2007, 01:10 PM

HeroscaperHuh has disabled reputation
Their goal is to beat you and gloat? Shove a Negatation marker down their throat and shut em with DED!

Before you criticize some one, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away and have their shoes.
Old December 29th, 2007, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroscaperHuh
Their goal is to beat you and gloat? Shove a Negatation marker down their throat and shut em with DED!
I succeeded in Negating Thanos after killing him once, and Isamu brought the man down. It was great, and it came down to Isamu and Q10, so I was screwed.

We played our first game with order markers. It was 2 250 point armies against my 500 point army. I was wandering why I was dying so fast when it occurred to me: the other team was getting twice the activations per turn. I considered that one null and void because the first round went by out of turn, as I was supposed to go first. I did get my scape fill in this week, though.

Theophilus.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles