Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old December 31st, 2007, 02:43 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Custom Dice Tower

Thanks to Imax for the plans!

Step-by-step

First, I built an Imax dice tower. I have another one I built at 100% and I always thought it was a bit big. So this one I made at 75% of the orginal size. You can see where I lined the inside with foam to deaden the sound of the dice. And in front of the tower is the layout for the roof.

Folding the roof piece around the tower.

Roof base in place.

I then added some trim to the top. I used wood because I had it, and because it will hold up to lots of use and wear.

I also added some wood trim to the tower down the sides and around the front opening. I also started to sketch out the stone work that will be drawn into the foam surrounding the tower.

Close up of the wood trim.

Close up of the foam around the outside.

I used a pencil to "carve" the shape of the stones. I also added a cap to the top edge of the dice tray.

Here you can see the roof tiles and corner caps.

I did a test to see how they lined up and trimmed the sides before gluing down.

Gluing down the roof tiles and the corner caps.

Next is the second top trim piece. I cut a 45 degree angle on a small piece of dowel and glued it place.

Here you can see the foam sheets that will go on the sides of the tower.

Here you can see the raised window edge. I glued them down before I glued the sides on.

Applying the glue. (thanks to my 7 year old daughter!)

Progress so far.

I then drew in the stones on the inside walls, and the floor slabs.

I didn't like how the window looked so I cut out the foam and added a small piece of wood for a window sill. I also added the cross beams.

Here you can see my new tower next to a orginal sized Imax tower (my first) and my round tower.

And the finished product after a paint job. The entire tower was base coated with brown textured paint. I love the way it adds just a bit of texture that helps add to the realism.
The roof was painted with a dark red and drybrushed with light red and then bone white. The rest of the tower I painted the surface without getting too much paint in the crevices. After all the stones were painted I gave it a wash with a muxture of 5 parts water/5 parts Future and 1 part black paint. I let that sink into the crevices and it also slightly darkened all the stones. Then they got a drybrushing of bone white.

I still need to find some stained glass to put in the windows. I haven't decided what to do yet.

Old December 31st, 2007, 03:02 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Raudulfr, that is simply the most amazing mod I've seen of one of my towers. I wish I had thought of that foam thing. So simple, yet it never even crossed my mind.

I hope you're not too upset, but I intend to use that idea the next time someone orders a custom tower. That foam thing is brilliant.

I cannot stop raving about this dice tower! It's amazing!

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:08 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
Raudulfr, that is simply the most amazing mod I've seen of one of my towers. I wish I had thought of that foam thing. So simple, yet it never even crossed my mind.

I hope you're not too upset, but I intend to use that idea the next time someone orders a custom tower. That foam thing is brilliant.

I cannot stop raving about this dice tower! It's amazing!
Thanks man!

Please feel free to use any idea I have. I'm all about the sharing!
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:59 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Simply awesome! Thanks for posting the pics and the tutorial!!

Newb.
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:12 PM
GenCon General Wars & DW9K Jumpstart Champ 2008

lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla lonewolf is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I don't really use dice towers....but I would use that dice tower.....incredible!
Old December 31st, 2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
I don't really use dice towers....but I would use that dice tower.....incredible!
Thanks!

I love using dice towers. But I'm the only one in our group that does. My son thinks that the towers jinx his rolls
Old December 31st, 2007, 05:56 PM

brickman1444 has disabled reputation
That looks great, Raudulfr! For stained glass you could melt some hard candy.

6 x 9 = 42

Old December 31st, 2007, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickman1444
That looks great, Raudulfr! For stained glass you could melt some hard candy.
That could work. I thought about just printing out a "stained glass window" and gluing it in the opening. Since there isn't any light coming from behind.
Old December 31st, 2007, 06:33 PM

Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby! Ugly-Caco rolls all skulls baby!
Cool mod on the dice tower shieldcrusher!

How many dice towers do you have?

Old December 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Absolutely amazing Raud...I was wanting to use the foam technique since you made the guard tower but after seeing this I definitely have to.
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly-Caco
Cool mod on the dice tower shieldcrusher!

How many dice towers do you have?
Thanks!

I have the three you see in this tutorial. I've been using the round one but I never used foam on the inside so it is a little loud. This new one quiet. I'm putting on layers of matte finish right now.
Old December 31st, 2007, 09:58 PM

Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby! Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby! Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby! Leif Kicker rolls all skulls baby!
Love the Tower! Great brushing too.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles