Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting
C3V Public Playtesting Forum for discussion of C3V public playtests. Only C3V members can create new threads, but all others can post to those threads.

Notices

Old October 2nd, 2021, 01:44 PM

SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness SchismaticSounds wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 3 until 10/18

A pretty interesting team matchup, very well played by Chris.

The amount of times a difference was made by a single number felt quite high.

Starting off: even though the first round wasn't important to win initiative, Initiative was lost by 1 with Byrikons +1 where he would have tied if he still had his +2.
My attack rolls were certainly favoring and Chris's defense unfavoring through the early to mid game with his bees dropping like flies.
Despite the heavy loss of bees, the feeling of early victory was somewhat deceiving where my squads began to run out by the same time the bees began to run out. With Grabermund on the side, there wasn't many options left for multiple attacks when guilty tried to get involved and take advantage of Gothloks aura. Guilty killed a bee before getting charged.

One unexpected but perhaps game changing fumble to note with this match was that Gothlok had grabbed Scarab of Invulnerability. It seemed neither of us were too familiar with it's use. I for some reason thought a 1-15 had no effect so didn't immediately care that I'd forgotten to use it and it wasn't until after Gothlok had fell and a couple turns had passed before I realized I had to drop the glyph. The glyph would have had no reason to go unused which could have lasted Gothlok a moment longer, but most importantly wouldn't have been available for Byrikon in his clutching late game.

Checking Eltahale before the game, I was relieved to know that she was medium, (despite being a Goliath). I knew that Grabermund would be my only chance of dealing with her and that engaging him with bees would be forfeit. Keeping him on the side and landing on Dagmar, I'd win the next initiative. Gothlok dieing the previous turn,
winning initiative I advanced Grabermund. Mcreech was then taken care of.
Grabermund went in on Eltahale, inflicting 1 wound, rolling for Swallow twice then a third time with a Child, and then a fourth time, rolling a 19, Swallowing full life Eltahale.
Suddenly things felt winnable again.
The following engagement with the AH Queen and bee, Grabermund did quick work with his rending claws, but not without taking some solid hits from the Queen and Byrikon following.

The last two rounds, Byrikon survives by the skin of his teeth, rolling a 20 with scarab to block 2 wounds. Also rolled a 17 on Byrikon for swallow with a +2 from wounds. Lucky guy.
Byrikon then inflicts a wound, leaving Grabermund at 7, what would have killed him before his 8 life change. Byrikon wins the next initiative. I didn't realize he did not receive the initiative bonus without having his Hive mind partner, but it did not matter here.
Byrikon inflicts the final wound on Grabermund ending the game, and as noted would have had a second attack.

Amberhive Queen
Frenzied failed about 8 times, succeeded 2-3.
Was positioned very well by Chris the majority of the game. Was nice to finally see her used well in this game. Although the Frenzies did not go through very much during the game, there were many attempts for them, and the prospect of a continuous frenzy was threatening.

Amberhive Protectors
Also put to good use. Even though their normal attacks were weak and defense minute, they kept a steady blockade on my figures while getting many attacks in and had several height attacks, though they didn’t go through often. The access to both the AH Queen and Byrikon as bonding options felt really nice for them to position a wide area for Stings and Frenzies. Most of their stings did not go through this game, with a rate of about 4/12. The stings give the Protectors a nice lethality in numbers, but at a potentially not worth it cost.
The earlier of the game I kept track of whether they bonded or strategized, with x3 bonding and x2 taking a turn with 6. There may have been 1 more strat turn, but the rest were bonds.

Byrikon
Surprisingly had the most meaningful actions this game, making up for lacking rolls elsewhere, where it counted. Byrikon almost singlehandedly slew Gothlok and dealt half of Grabermunds life. He was very affective as a range bonder for the Bees and having him as an alternative to the Queen was a strong combination. His Initiative bonus was never used stackingly this game, perhaps because of its decrease, but also since his hive mind partner, AH Queen, was killed before a late game initiative roll.

Children of the Dark Star
There were two times, I took a turn with 5 CotDS. 1 of which, 4 were locked up by 2 bees. And 2 times they took a turn with 4, helping them get across the board.
Did not keep track of their Otherwordly Stench, but it was mostly used against bees which stood no chance in defending with such debuffs, Gothloks included.
Spirits of the Void went into affect twice without success.

Grabermund
Was kept slightly behind ranks on the side most of the game, in fear of being swarmed in any way. Wasn't till diminishing numbers that he took move around the outside onto Dagmar then onto Eltahale who he managed to Swallow in one turn on his last roll with a 19. He defeated the 2 health queen and bee with render claws, the last bee, and had a high chance to take out Byrikon in the end as well.
His last attack on Byrikon, he had the option of attacking with height for 5. I took the rending claws approach and did not get a single wound (Got one swallow roll)with Byrikon's higher defense rolls. So far in the times I have played Grabermund, his normal attack has had little if any opportunity. This last attack felt like somewhere it could have and maybe should have been used despite the haste thinking rending claws would finish things off.
6 Movement on a double spaced figure turns out to be not the greatest. 6 Movement with Clammer, watch out, this guy is quick across the board. Personally, I really like Grabermund how he is. A lot of fun to play, and the extra 1 life gives him that much more time for a fun time with him (Aka Swallowing Madness time). It is nice that he gets so many opportunities for swallowing, and the wounds helping with that is a very fun theme. I can see how his kit could be a bit stronger than not, and he does dwarf Grimnak in his multi attack, multi unit swallowing potential, ofc costing more. The only main negative that comes to mind situationally would be if he were up against more Large figures.
To note once more, his normal attack in the majority of cases is not preferred and so finds little use.

Last edited by SchismaticSounds; October 2nd, 2021 at 02:22 PM.
Old October 4th, 2021, 03:37 PM

Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Vydar_XLIII is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 2 until 10/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar_XLIII View Post
Round 1 Statistics
Round 2 Statistics

Cumulative Over 2 Rounds

"I disagree. You're kind of right, yes, but Vydar and I are entirely right." -superfrog

High Quality Map Rendering
Vydar's Custom Units
Vydar's Maps
VC Units Base Size Spreadsheet
Old October 5th, 2021, 01:09 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Very thought provoking game with Captain Stupendous last night.

He played his Janos Hero build (no Rygarn) - Janos, Bambina, Maekor, Etiana, C'Rik, Matlis

I played my Mohican/Hunter build (Mohicans x5, Nessing, Bol, Kolbjorn)

Round 1
These Mercenary Order Markers and orders (especially without Rygarn) are so fascinating to predict for the opponent and interesting to know what kind of situation you will be playing into

Captain Stupendous goes Maekor-Etiana (activates Maekor)-Janos (activaties-Bambina-Etiana)

I roll out all Mohicans and thanks to losing initiaitve I am able to take 3 potshots at Maekor (all miss)

2nd OM I go ahead and engage Maekor and the Mohicans/Kobljorn do 2 wounds to the Lizard. But the 4 ranged attacks kill both Mohicans (2 from Janos, 1 from Bambina, 1 from Etiana).

I keep sending out Mohicans but all 3 ranged attacks miss in final turn

Round 2
-Janos wins a nice initiative and claims the Bracers of Teleportation and puts 3 wounds on Kolbjorn. Janos activates Bambina (ranged attack kills Mohican) and Etiana (1 wound onto Kobl, 4 total) and really podding up around the treasure location.
-My 3 ranged attacks from Mohicans all miss again
-Maekor misses an attack and attempt on Plasma, but Bambina is activated and kills Kolbjorn
-another 3 misses from Mohicans (9 blocked attacks in a row)
-Etiana activates Maekor who kills a Mohican
-The gaps in the hero wall and my spreading out of the Mohicans gives me the opportunity to engage Janos with 2 Mohicans (no living Tribesman sadly), but they put 4 wounds on Janos to end the round

Round 3
-Janos wins a huge initiative (otherwise faced an attack of 4/3/2 with 2 life left. He zips out of engagement using the Teleportation Bracers and kills a Mohican. Maekor plasmas the 2 Mohicans who had previously engaged Janos, and Bambina moves into the startzone engaging Van Ness and 2 Mohicans (Hammer blocked)

-In a game turning chain of events though, the Mohicans attacks of 2 put the last 2 wounds on the 4 defense Janos to kill him.

-Maekor moves, but is far away from the action so no attacks. (Part of what really helped is not engaging the Mercenary pod directly. The Mohicans range really helped in splitting up the Mercs and minimizing their defensive boosts and exposing their melee heroes) It was part of what made this match so fun so planning around these powers and weaknesses.

-Tough call on whether to engage Maekor or not and give him that extra defense but I decide to eventually (1 wound, 3 total)

-Super AWESOME COMBO! Van Nessing was 11 spaces away from Etiana, but Bambina activated with Support Fire uses the grav hammer to shift Van Nessing into range for an Etiana attack. Both attacks do 1 wound to Nessing

-Mohicans kill Maekor

Round 4
-Van Nessing gets his first order marker, disengages (miss) from Bambina and puts 1 wound on Bambina and then 2 wounds on Etiana
-Etiana's range shot is missed via concealment
-Mohicans kill Etiana
-NO OM (Etiana)
-Mohicans do 2 wounds to C'Rik
-Bambina kills a Mohican

That's pretty much game. Bambina would kill 2 more Mohicans (1 with Hammer, 1 from Range), but C'Rik (0/7 with new projector d20) and Maltis would never get a turn and eventually Bambina went down as well.

I won with 4 life Nessing, Bol, and 5 Mohicans

I will edit with powers/thoughts on individual units later today

EDIT - Powers/Thoughts

Kobljorn - Moved twice, activated once (blocked attack by Maekor). I think he was fine here even with only 1 activation. I made a bad placement with my Pre-Round 2 movement (could have moved him out of an initiative loss threat range). But he still drew a lot of fire that in the end saved probably 3 Mohicans which was worth it really. Had he survived I could definitely have seen a use to shift to Van Nessing with Call to the Hunt.

Janos - Killed 2 Mohicans and 3 wounds on Kolbjorn. I like everything except his personal strength. I would not raise his points, but I would like to see some combination of range=4 on tracking fire, reduction of total attack dice on tracking fire, life down to 5. I think some combination of those 3 will lock him in.

Bambina - Also really like Bambina. She killed 4 Mohicans and put wounds on Kolbjorn and Nessing, also had multiple uses of Grav Hammer, the biggest one being that tech move combo with Etiana on Nessing. This was the first time I really saw the ranged attack be significant. It was really damaging to the Mohicans and quite annoying.

Maekor - Having range army really was crucial to neutering Maekor as I was for the most part able to do this game. Maekor did kill 3 Mohicans (1 died from Plasma arc), but having range I was able to minimize both plasma arc targets and defensive formation. I think Maekor is good to go for me.

Etiana - Rolled lots of blanks on defense which was brutal, but utilized that 9 range 3 attack really well when able. I like how Support Fire works although probably a line of sight or range requirement would be good.

C'Rik - Went 0/6 on project although 2 of them would have been successes under the old rule. Something for the design team to think about. Otherwise died in those 6 attacks and never received an OM. It was of note that because of the ranged army and the early pings, C'Rik was left behind in the expidition. It seems in the other reports I've read he was a critical front line force, but not here.

Last edited by kevindola; October 5th, 2021 at 02:20 PM.
Old October 7th, 2021, 10:35 AM

KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker

@BodaciousBlood and I will be playing our round three game tonight at 7:15. He will be using my red ant army: red ants X4, Marcus, kaemon, gen Simon, Marcu, amberhive queen.
I will be using my cathar army: cathar X3, byrkion, count Raymond, altias.
Old October 8th, 2021, 02:17 PM
I'm Feeling Inspired To Play Some Gladiators

BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker BodaciousBlood knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOfLight View Post
@BodaciousBlood and I will be playing our round three game tonight at 7:15. He will be using my red ant army: red ants X4, Marcus, kaemon, gen Simon, Marcu, amberhive queen.
I took the victory over KnightofLight, last night with the ants/Queen bee!

Altais came out to bomb the start zone and immediately killed 3 ants. Unfortunately, that is all the dragon was able to accomplish, as Kaemon Awa dispatched Altais swiftly.

I moved the Queen out early to take the treasure glyph and draw cathar attention away from Kaemon. Kaemon then took over slaying every spearman that came his way. He only took one wound this game and it was from a braced spear engagement.

Then the ants came and were able to engage from the startzone thanks to MDG and Gen. Simon Fraser. Luckily, KoL's d20 wasn't loving him today. Only 2 or 3 ants were killed.

I rolled 50% success with the Queen's frenzy ability. This was critical in some key engagements with Cathar and each time I succeeded with a frenzy, the Cathar fell. (Once again due to some sad dice from KoL)

Byrikon is a lot less powerful with the +1 initiative boost when compared to the previous design of +2. However, he was also bested by my +11 initiative boost from Dagmar and Gen. Fraser.

In the endgame, the ants killed Byrikon before he could move and Kaemon kited away from Raymond and shot with normal attacks on height and with the Heroic Rune to kill Raymond in 2 shots.

GG, KoL! I loved your armies!

THOUGHTS:

Queen:
I think the combo of MDG, Gen. Fraser, and the Amberhive Queen make the red ants a SCARY combo. In fact, I would go so far to say that they could tussle with some A-tier armies.

The Queen, herself is tough. She drew plenty of attacks from the Cathar and was protected by the defense boost. She didn't dish out any damage, but she was only activated once this game and she did her part by stirring the ants into a consistent frenzy.

Altais:
Altais is tough to master. Its abilities remind me of Othkurik, with a slightly better Special Attack and lacking Lurking Ambush. A slight point deduction would be beneficial. I'm thinking 140 or 150. OR a cool adjustment would be a range increase of the special like Zelrig. That will make Altais way better. So the question is... Is Altais more like Othkurik or Zelrig? If Othkurik, Altais needs less cost. If Zelrig, Altais needs more range.

The opportunity to set up braced spear engagements was cool but hard to set up.

Byrikon:
Byrikon was an endgame nightmare when paired with another solid hero. Now, with the much-needed reduction in initiative boost, he is much less potent. Tough to gather much else from this matchup.
Old October 8th, 2021, 04:43 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Playtesting Map #3

Me: Acolytes of Vorganund x4, Caylus, Corvor, Kaemon Awa
mtl1998: Greenscale Warriors x3, Altais of the Deep, Krav Maga Agents, Sentinels of Grax
Which units survived?: 2 sentinels
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?

I used enfeeblement one round (so 2 of mtls turns) on his dragon, which let him not use his Special and reduced his normal giving quite some power in my favor. His taskmaster boost was used in two rounds, causing some damage and making some speedy clerics.

Any additional comments (theme, balance, fun factor with and against)?

I rather liked him as a turn one play, letting the clerics speed out and cause some damage, its not broken as it requires an om on him, but hes not weak cause he can do stuff like enfeeblement also providing support for the acolytes. Also liked the dragon, but I should have maybe played around their special a little more, but sleepy things. It was a fun close game (stupid sentinels regening like each turn).

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old October 8th, 2021, 05:09 PM

mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby! mtl1998 rolls all skulls baby!

550 Points
Map: Battlefield 23
Glyphs: Dagmar, Holdir, and 2 Treasure Glyphs

@Heroscaper Guy - Army: Acolytes of Vorganund x4, Caylus, Corvor, Kaemon Awa
mtl1998 - Army: Greenscale Warriors x3, Altais of the Deep, Krav Maga Agents, Sentinels of Grax

Which units survived?
Both Sentinels

Battle Report:
Spoiler Alert!

How useful were playtesting units' powers and how often did they come into play?
Altais: Vortex was used twice (would have been more but was enfeebled by Caylus) and killed 2 Acolytes on 1 skull attacks. I think 7 different figures had to defend against the two attacks in total. The movement part of this attack is really fun as the attacker. I would also say the attack part of the attack did not feel too powerful because I never rolled more than 1 skull.

Caylus: I really like the figure. The movement and attack bonus is really good with the acolytes. You can put Caylus in a position with Round 1 OM1 where the acolytes in the startzone are faster than normal and the acolytes that have already moved forward once are speedy with Caylus to threaten a big swing turn. Enfeebled is a good power too. It was very good against Atlais and forced the dragon into engagement. I could have waited another round and hung back but I liked that I had a decision with what to do with my weakened figure.

I thought both armies were fun. I had fun playing Altais with the greenscales and playing against the acolytes and Corvor being supported by Caylus. I think Altais is pretty balanced. It's easy to hit multiple figures but not as easy to actually hit them hard. Caylus felt like a figure I wanted to get rid of but alternatively could have done just as well getting rid of the acolytes instead.
Old October 8th, 2021, 09:32 PM

KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker KnightOfLight knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodaciousBlood View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightOfLight View Post
I took the victory over KnightofLight, last night with the ants/Queen bee!

Altais came out to bomb the start zone and immediately killed 3 ants. Unfortunately, that is all the dragon was able to accomplish, as Kaemon Awa dispatched Altais swiftly.

I moved the Queen out early to take the treasure glyph and draw cathar attention away from Kaemon. Kaemon then took over slaying every spearman that came his way. He only took one wound this game and it was from a braced spear engagement.

Then the ants came and were able to engage from the startzone thanks to MDG and Gen. Simon Fraser. Luckily, KoL's d20 wasn't loving him today. Only 2 or 3 ants were killed.

I rolled 50% success with the Queen's frenzy ability. This was critical in some key engagements with Cathar and each time I succeeded with a frenzy, the Cathar fell. (Once again due to some sad dice from KoL)

Byrikon is a lot less powerful with the +1 initiative boost when compared to the previous design of +2. However, he was also bested by my +11 initiative boost from Dagmar and Gen. Fraser.

In the endgame, the ants killed Byrikon before he could move and Kaemon kited away from Raymond and shot with normal attacks on height and with the Heroic Rune to kill Raymond in 2 shots.

GG, KoL! I loved your armies!

THOUGHTS:

Queen:
I think the combo of MDG, Gen. Fraser, and the Amberhive Queen make the red ants a SCARY combo. In fact, I would go so far to say that they could tussle with some A-tier armies.

The Queen, herself is tough. She drew plenty of attacks from the Cathar and was protected by the defense boost. She didn't dish out any damage, but she was only activated once this game and she did her part by stirring the ants into a consistent frenzy.

Altais:
Altais is tough to master. Its abilities remind me of Othkurik, with a slightly better Special Attack and lacking Lurking Ambush. A slight point deduction would be beneficial. I'm thinking 140 or 150. OR a cool adjustment would be a range increase of the special like Zelrig. That will make Altais way better. So the question is... Is Altais more like Othkurik or Zelrig? If Othkurik, Altais needs less cost. If Zelrig, Altais needs more range.

The opportunity to set up braced spear engagements was cool but hard to set up.

Byrikon:
Byrikon was an endgame nightmare when paired with another solid hero. Now, with the much-needed reduction in initiative boost, he is much less potent. Tough to gather much else from this matchup.

Thank you @BodaciousBlood ! Good report of our game last night! It was hard to get a solid opinion of the new byrikon as he died before he got a turn, however, I will echo Bodacious' thoughts on how he was considerably less potent with the toned down initiative buff! He went from a late game monster to a non-factor, due to this overall positive change I think he will be more limited to amberhive protector builds and the explorer/mercenary builds. I only say that because for 60 points, I'd rather have marro warriors and isamu then +4 to initiative. Altias did not perform well this game due to me overestimating her survivability. However, I think a slight point decrease is a great idea. The attack of three really limits the offensive output, but too much range could make it impossible for squads to get at her due to her figure movement ability.
Despite my awful luck with the dice (35% skulls, 25% shields), it was an absolute pleasure seeing my ant army function as intended! I felt the queen played her part really well! She tanked attacks really well, and the frenzied swarm was critical in killing a few of the cathar. She seemed solid to me! GG BodaciousBlood!
Old October 9th, 2021, 03:12 PM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The S1R_ART0R1US (1-1) v. superfrog (1-1) pool of armies is:
* Buzz-killers: Amberhive Protectors x4, Byrikon the Hiveless, Amberhive Queen, Sujoah
* Fire From Above: Greenscale Warriors x4, Marro Warriors, Kalagrith, Syvarris
* Null and Void: Greenscale Warriors x4, Altais of the Deep, Raelin (RotV), Marro Warriors, Isamu
* Rebels with Causes: Capuan Gladiators x3, 53rd N. Carolina Sharpshooters x3, Crixus, Capt. Nathaniel Blount, Bol

Map was Battlefield 23.

Superfrog took initiative and the first three OMs were moving up bees/GSW. I moved up with my Marro Warriors who combined to put two wounds on Sujoah, who I saw as the biggest threat since punching through 2/3 defense on my heroes would be easy and the d20 could end Kalagrith prematurely. With the Queen in a nice spot, four bees took out the four Marro warriors (dying in the process) with the help of 3/3 frenzy rolls. I hadn’t expected to lose all of the MW in a turn, planning on having them fall back and clone but instead lost my OM3.

I took initiative (19 to SF’s 12+1 from Byrikon), and with Syvarris put another wound on Sujoah. SF flew her onto low ground the next turn to kill Syvarris with a 2 wound attack and two stings in a row-hot d20! I flew Kalagrith over to Sujoah, opting to use the normal and boosted greenscales (almost all attacks with height) to finish off the last three wounds but only got two of them. Luckily for me Kalagrith blocked Sujoah's attempt at stinging back, but then took 5 wounds from stinging bees who were now out of frenzy range. On my OM3 I moved Kalagrith back towards my SZ and finished off Sujoah, then three greenscales combined to take out the queen on some poor defense rolling from her. The round ended with Greenscales all blocking bee attacks - I had moved many of them up previously to try and tie down bees since with 6 move flying they could easily get next to my big dragon.

SF got an initiative switch (13+1 and at some point had grabbed Dagmar too over my , and was able to use Rapid Response to get two turns on OM1. He grabbed the treasure glyph and selected Giant Hunter Stone. He took out a greenscale then unloaded a 2/5A on Kalagrith who whiffed the 3D and died. GSW surrounded Byrikon who was right by the palm tree by my SZ and gave him two wounds. Byrikon took out one of the surrounding GSW while one bee was able to sting and kill off another. I took out Byrikon and two more bees on my OM2, and we called it for me there with 5 bees left to face 8 GSW.

2-1

I never used Kalagrith’s power as she never had a chance to attack more than two opposing figures since the bees are fine to spread out easily even though they’re melee figures. I like her strong baseline attack, as two of those counted for 3 wounds against Sujoah, but it’s not so strong as to discourage Scorching Earth if you get the chance. She was attacked 5 times with 4 dice and once with 5 before falling, which I think is decent survivability. Not having Valda on this map did make me play her less aggressively, as she didn’t have the range to fly back after doing some roasting. Like in my last game, I like that she prefers to stay near her Greenscales more than some of the other dragons who tend to hang back a bit more and lob acid/fire/ice over them.

I’ll let superfrog speak more to the Buzz-killers, but I was more impressed with them in this game than my last. I think SF did a good job of developing the bees and Queen to stage them for future frenzied stings, and using them to clear out the Marro Warriors in a single turn was a great strategic use of them (although we noted this was a total points wash). The bees always bonded and the only time they used their normal was when Byrikon was moving up and they were all blocked, even with height on a couple of them. I still feel they a bit overcosted since the only way they can kill things is with the Sting special, but then they die too.

Byrikon’s Rapid Response was used perfectly to capitalize on an initiative switch and shoot down with height on Kalagrith, but in hindsight it didn’t feel like that switch would have been a given without Dagmar, as the initiative boost (we used +1) never would’ve changed the outcome. He killed more than his points worth, but getting a Stone-boosted attack from height on Kalagrith certainly played a big role and as he was swarmed with GSW the next turn and fell quickly, it felt like a good balance.

The Queen played a great cheerleader role, enabling 3 frenzies to kill off the MW. Ignoring one early ping from a GSW below her, she fell in just three attacks of 2 which was unlucky rolling (1 shield on 13 dice!) so I hesitate to call her flimsy especially since she never got the evasive bonus against my GSWs. Her flying also made it pretty easy to put her in a good supporting position.

Sujoah is a great add to this build because she likes to be in the action (and can quickly catch up to the bees with her move of while the Queen doesn’t.
Old October 11th, 2021, 11:38 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The Dysole (1-1) v. Muskie (1-1):

Muskie Played: Specters of Aldornx4, Ataraxis, Iskra, Rechets of Bogdan, Marcu Esenwein, Bol, Isamu
Dysole Played: Nhah Scirh Cultistsx4, Greenscale Warriors x1, Kalagrith

round 1 and 2 was all positioning as I surrounded Ataraxis with Specters and Kept my heroes closed enough to save Atar if she died. Dysole moved up the Cultists and got them into position just outside of my Terror Bubble.

Round three I took a pot shot with Atar as I moved her up using Wormhole and missed, but the Rechets arrived on turn three and jumped into action. They took an even ground spot within the terror bubble (that spot gave me an advantage the whole rest of the game) and got a kill, tried to get Kalagirth and missed.

round 4 started with two attacks on Kal by the rechets (both missed since Dysole had a good spot and I was swinging up). The rechets were wiped out the next turn but the specters now moved forward, and we spent the next 2 rounds exchanging specters and Cultists as they battled in the Terror bubble.

Later rounds (we had quite a few, so I did lose track). Eventually, the specters and cultist were withered down to one on Dysoles side and 4 on my side. She launched the Dragon. I moved Ataraxis to take a shot (one wound) and then the dragon moved in and engaged Atar on even ground. We went at least a round with trading blows of dragon vs. Atar and Iskra, with the dragon taking a couple of wounds and killing both the evil heroes. Atar ended up on Kalagirth, and the race was on to finish off the rest of my 1 life heroes and a couple of specters before I could take the last two lives off of the Dragon and get Atar back. Kal flew around and scorched my last couple of specters and bol, but Isamu came up got a wound before dying. it was now Marcu vs a one life Kal and one cultist. Marcu did not betray and positioned, I got the initiative switch and marcu went in for the kill on Kalagirth.

Dysole conceded with one Cultist left to my full health Ataraxis and a one wound marcu.

Thoughts about Ataraxis: I love what she does for bringing back some of the undead armies. She is expensive and low life, so it balances out what she can do. I used her terror field constantly the whole game, worm holed twice to get a good position to attack, and brought her back to life once at endgame. I never used the ability to "terror" lock down any figure, but it was one of the biggest influences in how Dysole approached the game. Kalagrith was very muted since she could not fly in without getting locked down. I think that this power is too strong for all figures. I could see it only for small and medium, since Atar has other powers to help in battle. I do not think she should be able to lock down huge dragons and such.

Thoughts about Kalagrith: Didn't really see her power until the endgame once Atar was killed. It is cool, and would work well against other armies, but is really muted against Ataraxis. I hope to play her in the future against other armies. Dysole used scorched earth 2-4 times, and it worked well to clear some figures in the endgame. Most of the time she used her regular attack since she was pinned down.

Great game and always love playing against Dysole. I learn a ton every time!

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old October 12th, 2021, 05:36 PM

Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knight of Scape wears ripped pants of awesomeness

550 Points
Battlefield 23 (Dagmar, Holdir, Treasure Glyph x2 [Bracers of Teleportation, Scarab of Invulnerability])

Knight of Scape's Army: Janos, C'Rik, Rygarn, Etiana, Wastewalker Gage, Byrikon the Hiveless, Isamu, Otonashi

shiftrex's - Army: Crypt Guardian x4 , Drow Chainfighter x2, Marro Warriors, Kalagrith, Eldgrim, Marcu Eldgrim

Which units survived?
Shiftrex resigned at Janos, C'Rik (1 wound), Etiana, Byrikon (2 wounds), Rygarn, Isamu, and Otonashi vs. 1 crypt guardian, Marcu, and Eldgrim (1 wound).

General Battle Report/Flow of game (be as detailed or general as you like)
This was another dominant win for the mercenary explorers against a dragon army. As usual, I was my OMs as 1 on Janos, 2,X on Byrikon, 3 on Etiana for the whole game. Rygarn stayed at the front of the startzone all game, while Janos was careful to stay within 6 spaces of him.

Shiftrex led out with Kalagrith, and grabbed both treasure glyphs, but my heroes were able to spread out enough to deny any good scorched earth attacks, and they quickly took down half of Kalagrith's life, leading Shiftrex to retreat her back to the startzone with her bracers of teleportation.

The crypt guardians came out next, while the mercenary heroes more or less held their ground and gunned them down. Between Janos's and Gage's special attacks, Tough wasn't too much of an issue. The Marro Warriors were the third round of assault, but C'rik rushed them down while Janos and Etiana continued to shoot, taking down the warriors fairly quickly.

Janos: Expedition was again the MVP. Tracking Fire was also extremely useful in this game, since it let Janos double attack a crypt guardian while ignoring tough. Between damage to Kalagrith and to the guardians, Janos more than earned his points back just with his own attacks, besides the benefits of Expedition.

C'Rik: Holographic Projector activated 1/3 times, allowing C'Rik to make a useful retreat to high ground. Quaarn assault was very useful for letting the merc army get a ton of attacks in one turn. Phantom walk didn't really come into play this game.

Byrikon: Hive-Mind integration allowed me to win 1 initiative that I otherwise would have lost (and it would have been enough to swing the init even with a +3 boost). As I've observed before, putting 1 OM on Janos and 2 on Byrikon is almost free for this army, so Byrikon's init bonus is a nice plus that you can get with no extra thought.

Etiana: Support fire was useful for taking turns with Gage and Byrikon on the turns when I couldn't Expedition. The restriction to not move and only attack enemies adjacent to my heroes was not a big deal since Shiftrex's army had a bunch of heroes, and I already wanted to engage them with C'Rik and Gage, so unlike in some previous games, I was able to keep Etiana parked on height near my startzone and just snipe at people. Acrobatic did nothing this game. I don't think that Etiana was ever attacked.

I continue to enjoy playing the Mercenary Explorers. The flexibility that Janos provides allows for a lot of interesting decisions, and I find myself using different hero combos from turn to turn depending on the board state. I also enjoy the element of planning ahead to ensure useful support fire turns for Etiana (which was easier to do this game than it was in the previous rounds). I have noticed that the large number of interactions can often make the army confusing for other people to play against, but I think that part of that is an inevitable effect of having an army with 5 unreleased units in it.

I do agree with the general sentiment that the power level of the army is probably a bit too high, though. In particular, I feel like Janos himself is too strong offensively. One interesting aspect of Expedition compared to other commander powers, like Ulglinesh, Kato, or Kurrok, is that Janos himself has to be one of the three heroes you take a turn with. As things stand, this is barely a restriction, since the fact that Janos gets a double special attack at range makes him someone you'd almost always want to take a turn with anyway. The amount of firepower that Janos contributes on his own also means that trying to snipe him early feels like the main hope that a lot of opponents have against the mercenaries (something that's not easy to do with Janos's general bulk and C'Rik's holographic projector).

Rather than making Janos easier to kill (which I feel would lead to swingy games whose outcome depends on how effective a few crucial attacks on Janos are), I'd rather nerf his offense so that taking out the other mercs one by one becomes a more effective way to weaken the army (similar to elf wizards, where many of their powers depend on having lots of elf wizards around, so targeting Uglinesh isn't necessary to wear down the army).

My inclination would be to just remove Janos's special attack. Expedition is already a game-changing power that defines the army, and the army is already fairly complicated, so I think Janos would be fine with just one power. He doesn't need to the special to incentivize you to take turns with him, since he's guaranteed a turn every expedition anyway, and he'll still be able to do something useful with his normal ranged attack.

Also, the Mercenaries already have access to other special attackers in Gage and Bambina, so I don't feel like removing Janos's special would kill the army's potential against rats and such.
Old October 13th, 2021, 10:38 AM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth
Re: 2021 C3V Playtest Tournament - Round 4 until 11/1

Important Round 4 Announcement
*There have been additions

If you and your opponent BOTH have 2+ losses, please play your Round 4 games with the following changes:

Any set of players that would like to use these modifications for their match even if they do not have 2+ losses we encourage to do so, but ONLY if both players agree to use these mods prior to army selections.

Spoiler Alert!

Round 4 is on Wyrmwalk (Treasure Glyph x4).

The Knight of Scape (3-0) v. Vydar's Girlfriend (3-0) pool of armies is:
* The Guild of 90ish Point Heroes (+Ninjas): Janos, C'Rik, Rygarn, Etiana, Wastewalker Gage, Byrikon the Hiveless, Isamu, Otonashi
* Skeletons in Space: Skeletons of Annellintia x3, Ataraxis the Starlich, Marcu Esenwein, Iskra Esenwein
* The Golden Queen: Greenscale Warriors x4, Kalagrith, Kaemon Awa, Eldgrim the Viking Champion
* The Bee Queen: Amberhive Protectors x4, Amberhive Queen, Byrikon the Hiveless, Major Q10, Siiv
Knight of Scape chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Vydar's Girlfriend chooses who places first.

Please contact Vydar_XLIII to schedule games with Vydar's gf

The BodaciousBlood (3-0) v. dok (2-1) pool of armies is:
* Undead Legion.... IN SPACE! : Skeletons of Annellintia x2, Ataraxis, Cyprien Esenwein, Marcu Esenwein, Isamu
* Lizardfolk.... IN SPACE!: Greenscale Warriors x3, Maekor, Bambina, Etiana, Siiv
* Arby's new Bacon, Rats, and Lizard special: deathreavers x1, Janos, Bambina, Rygarn, Maekor, Raelin (RotV)
* Sci Fi Double Feature: Greenscale Warriors x3, Goblin Slashers x2, Altais of the Deep, Ziggo, Kyntela Gwyn, Bol
BodaciousBlood chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, dok chooses who places first.

The S1R_ART0R1US (2-1) v. kevindola (2-1) pool of armies is:
* Buzz-killers: Amberhive Protectors x4, Byrikon the Hiveless, Amberhive Queen, Sujoah
* Fire From Above: Greenscale Warriors x4, Marro Warriors, Kalagrith, Syvarris
* Acolytic Corverter: Acolytes of Vorganund x6, Corvor the Tainted One, Master Caylus, Marcu Esenwein
* Hunter's Moon: Mohican River Tribe x5, Kolbjorn, Van Nessing, Bol
kevindola chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, S1R_ART0R1US chooses who places first.

The Blue Trails (2-1) v. vegie's dad (2-1) pool of armies is:
* Never Doubt a Man Named ""Innocent"": Acolytes of Vorganund x3, Master Caylus, Skull Demon, Cathar Spearmen x2, Count Raymond, Marcu Esenwein
* Away Down South: Armoc Vipers x3, 53rd North Carolina Sharpshooters x2, Azurite Warlord, Capt. Nathaniel Blount, Guilty McCreech
* Ziggo and the Blashers: goblin slashers x 5, bugbear bashers x2, Ziggo, Urk
* Big dragon, little dragon: Greenscales Warriors x2, Kalagrith, Sonlen, Raelin
Blue Trails chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, vegie's dad chooses who places first.

The vegietarian18 (2-1) v. KnightofLight (2-1) pool of armies is:
* Why do the stars take so long to die?: Zombies x4, Zombie Hulk x2, Ataraxis the Star Lich, Marcu, Isamu
* Expeditious: Greenscales Warriors x2, Maekor, Bambina, Janos, Rygarn
* Vortex spears : cathar spearmen X3, Altias of the Deep, Count Raymond, Byrikon the hiveless
* Marcus Decimus Antus : Red Ants of Aunstrum x4, Kaemon Awa, Amberhive Queen, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Gen. Simon Fraser, Marcu Esenwein
vegietarian18 chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, KnightofLight chooses who places first.

The Muskie (2-1) v. mtl1998 (1-2) pool of armies is:
* Booooo!: Specters of Aldornx4, Ataraxis, Iskra, Rechets of Bogdan, Marcu Esenwein, Bol, Isamu
* Fire from above: Nhah Scirh Cultistsx4, Greenscale Warriors x1, Kalagrith
* : Acolytes of Vorganund x4, Caylus, Corvor, Kaemon Awa
* : Greenscale Warriors x3, Altais of the Deep, Krav Maga Agents, Sentinels of Grax
mtl1998 chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Muskie chooses who places first.

The Chris Perkins v. Captain Stupendous pool of armies is:
* God Save the Queen: Amberhive Protectors x5, Amberhive Queen, Byrikon the Hiveless, Eltahale
* Choose (Your Dragon) Wisely: Greenscale Warriors x4, Altais of the Deep, Othkurik the Black Dragon
* Not the Boss of Me!: Capuan Gladiators x3, 53rd N. Carolina Sharpshooters x3, Crixus, Capt. Nathaniel Blount, Otonashi
* Greil Mercenaries: Janos, Maekor, Bambina, C'Rik, Etiana, Maltis Tez
Captain Stupendous chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Chris Perkins chooses who places first.

The Sir Heroscape v. Dysole pool of armies is:
* Come at me Bro: Goblin Slashers x5, Bugbear Basher x3, Ziggo
* Alien Abduction: Children of the Dark Star x4, Gräbermund, Raelin (RotV), Swaysil, Marcu Esenwein
* Hit Me Baby one More Tribe: Mohican River Tribe x3, Teeth of the Makwa x 3, Brave Arrow, Kolbjorn
* Wherever I May Rome: Romans Legionnairres x4, Capt. Nathaniel Blount, Marcus Decimus Gallus, Azurite Warlord, Theracus
Dysole chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Sir Heroscape chooses who places first.

The shiftrex v. superfrog pool of armies is:
* The Court of Flames: Crypt Guardian x4 , Drow Chainfighter x2, Marro Warriors, Kalagrith, Eldgrim, Marcu Eldgrim
* Peaceful Missionaries: Acolytes of Vorganund x5, Corvor, Johnny Shotgun Sullivan, Master Caylus
* Null and Void: Greenscale Warriors x4, Altais of the Deep, Raelin (RotV), Marro Warriors, Isamu
* Rebels with Causes: Capuan Gladiators x3, 53rd N. Carolina Sharpshooters x3, Crixus, Capt. Nathaniel Blount, Bol
superfrog chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, shiftrex chooses who places first.

The Vydar_XLIII v. Heroscaper Guy pool of armies is:
* Would you like to make Janos your default browser?: deathreavers x3, Janos, Bambina, Etiana, Maekor
* Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the Kolbjorn moon?: Mohican River Tribe x3, Teeth of the Makwa x 3, Brave Arrow, Kolbjorn
* : Children of the Dark Star x4, Z'Thoth, Gräbermund, Bol
* : Goblin Slashers x3, Nottingham Brigand x4, Bugbear Basher x2, Ziggo, Elaria
Vydar_XLIII chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, Heroscaper Guy chooses who places first.

The AgentWard v. SchismaticSounds pool of armies is:
* Sneaky or Tricky ?: Goblin Slashers x3, Nottingham Brigand x4, Master Caylus, Ziggo, Elaria, Arthur of Sherwood
* Z'THOTH!!!!!!!: Children of the Dark Star x4, Z'Thoth, Gräbermund
* : Blade Gruts x2, Ataraxis, Isamu, Marcu, Iskra, Ornak, Bol, Torin
* Treacherous Deviants: Children of the Dark Star x2, Gräbermund, Death Chasers of Thesk x2, Gothlok, Guilty Mcreech
AgentWard chooses which army to play first or may defer. After armies are picked, SchismaticSounds chooses who places first.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs > C3V Public Playtesting