Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Notices

Old January 22nd, 2019, 06:51 PM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Flash_19's Maps: New Map 12/9/18!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash_19 View Post
Here's the latest!

Venom:
Requires 1x RotV, 1x RttFF, 1x TJ
Nice, this looks pretty sweet for a team game. I've been looking for one -- I'll have to try it out! Have you tried swapping the move and initiative glyphs with each other? Having Dagmar next to those ruins where units can hide and then run out to grab it for an initiative switch could be pretty good, especially if the opponent has the high ground. Though I could also see turtling being easier if Valda is already next to some height.
Quote:
This one looks pretty pretty! I do worry a bit about how many hidey holes there are for Raelin -- you can hide her on your side of either of the double columns to cover your units' advance without fear of getting hit, and then pop to the Raelin perch on the other side to cover a glyph from height. I also think some height diversity could be good. Right now it's mostly level 1 for start zones and level 3 for just about everything else. Great draft, though! It will turn out great!

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old January 22nd, 2019, 07:30 PM

tolchock is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolchock View Post
Quote:
Thank you very much! Definitely a chance, depending on what you ask for. what did you have in mind?
I have written rules for a specific game mode.
And are looking for maps that would be ”perfect”
3 or 4 player, or even 5.
You cand find rules here if you want to read them.

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php...01532404556189
I couldn't open the file - it said it was corrupted after I had downloaded it... maybe it's because I was doing it on my phone. I did, however, find your thread about this game format and got the information there that I would need. My inital thoughts are, it sounds very plausible - though I wouldn't recommend a 5 player format unless 1 player was working to protect the "hot spot" from everyone else (building a 5-player free for all would be a pain ). Though I could see that causing minor problems with games if a player felt they were targeted too much by the 5th person...

I have a couple things I'm working on, so it might be a couple weeks before I have something for you designed specifically for that purpose - though I actually do have a couple three player maps in the drafting stage that might work well with that format. Let me think about it and see what I can come up with.

What terrain sets would you like used? I would strongly recommend at least 2 RttFF sets for the road tiles and LOS blockers (though 3 would be ideal for a 3 player map - which is what I'm leaning towards at the moment), and at least 2 Master Sets.
I re-worked the rules a little bit, but maybe it doesent matter, Inpost them below anyway.
I excpect to play mostly 2, 3 or 4 players.
I have 4 sets if RotV and 3 sets of Rttff.
Maybe some more mastersets and some other terrain expansions on the way.
Maps based on 3 MS is pretty good, maybe 4 MS could work but I guess they start to be little to big ^_^

Rules:
 Agree on a time limit, 60,90,120 minutes.

 When time is up, complete that game turn, and play one more turn, then the game is over.

 Place control tokens (Glyphs or a substitute) on strategic positions on the map. 1 less or 1
more then there are players, or what works best for the combination of the numbers players
and map layout.

 You take control over a Strategic hex by moving on to the hex. However, you can't end your
turn on the hex.

 All strategic hexes are worth 10 points at the end of the round. If some areas are in a more contested area, you can house rule to have it be worth more points, ex 20 points, 40 points or even more.

 You get points for wounding enemy figures, and make a killing blow. The formula for how many points a wound would give is: Figures Army points/life, (ex Kaemon Awa have 120 Army points, and 4 life, 120/4=30 points for each wound), another example: (Krav Maga Agents 100 Army points, 3 figures with 1 Life gives, 100/3=33 Points, round down).

 The killing blow bonus is another 10% of what the points from wounding is, (from same example as above, Kaemon Awa would give 3 points, a Krav Maga Agent would give 3 points(always round down). These points are in addition to the wound point that eliminates the figure.

 If you want to play with respawns, this is how it works: Respawn times depends on Army point values, it is the following: 0-50Army Points, Respawn already next turn. 50- 150Respawns in 2 turns (if they die on turn 5, they come in to play on turn 7). 150-300 Respawns in 3 turns, ( if they fie on turn 4 they come back on turn 7).

 After all players have rolled for initiative, in that player order, place your respawn ready units in your starting area.
Old January 22nd, 2019, 08:15 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolchock View Post
I re-worked the rules a little bit, but maybe it doesent matter, Inpost them below anyway.
I excpect to play mostly 2, 3 or 4 players.
I have 4 sets if RotV and 3 sets of Rttff.
Maybe some more mastersets and some other terrain expansions on the way.
Maps based on 3 MS is pretty good, maybe 4 MS could work but I guess they start to be little to big ^_^

Rules:
 Agree on a time limit, 60,90,120 minutes.

 When time is up, complete that game turn, and play one more turn, then the game is over.

 Place control tokens (Glyphs or a substitute) on strategic positions on the map. 1 less or 1
more then there are players, or what works best for the combination of the numbers players
and map layout.

 You take control over a Strategic hex by moving on to the hex. However, you can't end your
turn on the hex.

 All strategic hexes are worth 10 points at the end of the round. If some areas are in a more contested area, you can house rule to have it be worth more points, ex 20 points, 40 points or even more.

 You get points for wounding enemy figures, and make a killing blow. The formula for how many points a wound would give is: Figures Army points/life, (ex Kaemon Awa have 120 Army points, and 4 life, 120/4=30 points for each wound), another example: (Krav Maga Agents 100 Army points, 3 figures with 1 Life gives, 100/3=33 Points, round down).

 The killing blow bonus is another 10% of what the points from wounding is, (from same example as above, Kaemon Awa would give 3 points, a Krav Maga Agent would give 3 points(always round down). These points are in addition to the wound point that eliminates the figure.

 If you want to play with respawns, this is how it works: Respawn times depends on Army point values, it is the following: 0-50Army Points, Respawn already next turn. 50- 150Respawns in 2 turns (if they die on turn 5, they come in to play on turn 7). 150-300 Respawns in 3 turns, ( if they fie on turn 4 they come back on turn 7).

 After all players have rolled for initiative, in that player order, place your respawn ready units in your starting area.
Cool - thanks for this. My initial thoughts based on the rules are a smaller map overall since figures are going to be respawning (so 2 RoTV should be perfect, though I might borrow the ruins from a third), and it would be awfully frustrating to take forever getting to a position, just to die and have to move all the way there again while enemy figures are racking in the points for controlling the hot spots. I've played zone control scenario games before, and a map that is easy to move around on is going to be one of the primary goals. I would also lean towards smaller start zones that are easy to move out of and smaller point values for each team since units will be respawning. Because of respawning, you really won't need huge armies anyway.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old January 22nd, 2019, 08:32 PM

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Nice, this looks pretty sweet for a team game. I've been looking for one -- I'll have to try it out! Have you tried swapping the move and initiative glyphs with each other? Having Dagmar next to those ruins where units can hide and then run out to grab it for an initiative switch could be pretty good, especially if the opponent has the high ground. Though I could also see turtling being easier if Valda is already next to some height.
Thanks! I actually haven't tried switching the glyphs - but will ponder on that. For that height glyph position, I wanted to lean towards a glyph that would have a lower chance of increasing in power on height (like Gerda, etc.) I did want a slightly more powerful glyph towards the bottom because the height isn't as prevalent down there, but didn't want it to be so powerful that it would draw conflict away from the top of the map. Though a slightly more powerful glyph there would allow for the situation you described which I was certainly going for in the design - being able to hide behind those ruins then run out to contest that glyph/take control of it.

Quote:
This one looks pretty pretty! I do worry a bit about how many hidey holes there are for Raelin -- you can hide her on your side of either of the double columns to cover your units' advance without fear of getting hit, and then pop to the Raelin perch on the other side to cover a glyph from height. I also think some height diversity could be good. Right now it's mostly level 1 for start zones and level 3 for just about everything else. Great draft, though! It will turn out great!
Thanks for those thoughts! I totally agree about some more height diversity - I have a couple ideas that I'll tinker with some more.
I'll definitely think about that pesky Raelin... you bring up some great points. Initially I was thinking the map would be fast enough to get across that an opponent could either engage Raelin or else take advantage of an exposed side before she could set up too good of a position. But I could be wrong. It's happened before.

Thanks again for your feedback my friend!

"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old January 23rd, 2019, 11:15 PM

Re: Flash_19's Maps: New Map 1/9/19!

@BiggaBullfrog

Steps in the right direction?

Old January 24th, 2019, 12:42 AM
Usurper of Shenanigans (but only 10 points under)

BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun BiggaBullfrog is a penguin with a machine gun

Most definitely, I really like how it's shaping up! Moving up that snow hex to be next to the road was a good move -- I like that all of the highest points are next to road to allow melee to engage quickly. Also helps with those points having good shooting lanes but being pretty vulnerable.

Just some thinking out loud (because I tend to think through writing and then post anyway for whatever reason ): I really like the zoning on the map (and in general with your maps) so that figures need to be moving out of the start zone to get good hits in, and can be protected during their advance. I do think that this one could be potentially super good for fast kiting range like Krav or Marro Warriors who can rush out of the start zone and then pin an army back in its own start zone. Not 100% convinced it's an issue -- I'd have to build/play to be sure -- but it would be the main thing I looked out for. Though, the road is abundant enough that as long as a couple figures on it can survive, they can engage almost anywhere that the shots would be coming from. So thinking it through I'm about 75% convinced it's not an issue, but is the one thing I'd be looking out for at this stage.

Though speaking of road and protected advances, I wonder if there's a way you could move two road spaces to curve around the columns on the right side of the start zone? That would give figures a place to hide and then run out on the road the next turn (and notably hit the glyph), and you have that going on already on the left side. Just a thought.

Monthly Utah Tournaments in SLC!!
Maps | Customs | Battle Reports
10 Points Under Videos

"I'll save myself some time and say I pretty much 100% agree with Bigga" ~Flash_19
Old January 24th, 2019, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggaBullfrog View Post
Most definitely, I really like how it's shaping up! Moving up that snow hex to be next to the road was a good move -- I like that all of the highest points are next to road to allow melee to engage quickly. Also helps with those points having good shooting lanes but being pretty vulnerable.

Just some thinking out loud (because I tend to think through writing and then post anyway for whatever reason ): I really like the zoning on the map (and in general with your maps) so that figures need to be moving out of the start zone to get good hits in, and can be protected during their advance. I do think that this one could be potentially super good for fast kiting range like Krav or Marro Warriors who can rush out of the start zone and then pin an army back in its own start zone. Not 100% convinced it's an issue -- I'd have to build/play to be sure -- but it would be the main thing I looked out for. Though, the road is abundant enough that as long as a couple figures on it can survive, they can engage almost anywhere that the shots would be coming from. So thinking it through I'm about 75% convinced it's not an issue, but is the one thing I'd be looking out for at this stage.

Though speaking of road and protected advances, I wonder if there's a way you could move two road spaces to curve around the columns on the right side of the start zone? That would give figures a place to hide and then run out on the road the next turn (and notably hit the glyph), and you have that going on already on the left side. Just a thought.
Thanks Bigga. Yeah, I wish I had a few extra road tiles to swing around the corner of those walls to provide a little more cover + movement bonus. I could always just add some regular terrian there. So while it wouldn't give a movement bonus for road, it would allow the figures coming out of the start zone to get some cover and get up one level higher - and every extra movement helps...

Old January 26th, 2019, 09:46 PM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Here's the latest!

Venom:
Nice map Flash. How'd you come up with the name?
Old January 27th, 2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Quote:
Here's the latest!

Venom:
Nice map Flash. How'd you come up with the name?
Thanks! Honestly - the shape of the road with the gray rock kinda reminded me of the basic outline of a spider. Then I was thinking about Spiderman, but thought that was a weird name for a map, so I decided on Venom. And I just went with it because the name kinda fits a jungle style map, and it gave an opportunity for a unique treasure glyph trap as well.

Old February 9th, 2019, 09:48 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Flash,

My pal Kolakoski is running a six person mini-tournament here at my place today, and so I've spent most of yesterday building four of your maps, since we're using some of yours here for the first time---Venom, Dragon's Head Summit, Drudgery, and Quilato Valley (you never know how many people exactly will show up, so I'm ready for all possibilities). They are wonderful maps! I'd guess we'll be using more of yours in the future, although we more often play on one giant 30 x 20 hexer!

I'm setting up the Glyphs, and it seems that you are using the traditional "?" for a random Power Glyph and "B" for Brandar's Chest for a random Treasure Glyph. So no problem.

I just want to mention that most of the maps we've used in the last 11 years not only mention what sets are needed on their plans (I don't care myself because I have so much stuff that I don't store it by set) but [I]which types of Glyphs are being used.[/I] This would be especially useful to us since you are sometimes mixing both types of Glyphs and randomizers.

Also, since you have some very creative choices, I'd be interested to which Glyphs you use in random pools. We usually omit some we feel are unbalancing.

Thanks,
Chas

PS: If you want to check up on any photos or game reports we may do of these games later on if we're not too lazy (18 potential games plus a Championship round or 19) you can click on my signature below.
Old February 9th, 2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Flash,

My pal Kolakoski is running a six person mini-tournament here at my place today, and so I've spent most of yesterday building four of your maps, since we're using some of yours here for the first time---Venom, Dragon's Head Summit, Drudgery, and Quilato Valley (you never know how many people exactly will show up, so I'm ready for all possibilities). They are wonderful maps! I'd guess we'll be using more of yours in the future, although we more often play on one giant 30 x 20 hexer!

I'm setting up the Glyphs, and it seems that you are using the traditional "?" for a random Power Glyph and "B" for Brandar's Chest for a random Treasure Glyph. So no problem.

I just want to mention that most of the maps we've used in the last 11 years not only mention what sets are needed on their plans (I don't care myself because I have so much stuff that I don't store it by set) but [I]which types of Glyphs are being used.[/I] This would be especially useful to us since you are sometimes mixing both types of Glyphs and randomizers.

Also, since you have some very creative choices, I'd be interested to which Glyphs you use in random pools. We usually omit some we feel are unbalancing.

Thanks,
Chas

PS: If you want to check up on any photos or game reports we may do of these games later on if we're not too lazy (18 potential games plus a Championship round or 19) you can click on my signature below.
Thanks so much Chas! I appreciate that feedback. I'll do my best to make sure I start including the required sets in the actual plans and not just here on my thread. Thanks so much for the suggestion. And yeah, that's a good idea to include glyphs as well. There are definitely some glyphs that I never use - so yeah, if I have a random power glyph on there, I would most likely choose from the following pool:
- Move +2
- Wound
- Defense - I don't always include this one though depending on where the glyphs are at
- Initiative
- Lucky 20-sider
- Unique Attack
- Healer (if you include this in the pool, I always flip the glyphs over after figures have been placed in the start zone, but before placing order markers, since squad figures can't step on it)

For treasure glyphs:
- Attack +1
- Defense +1
- Potion of Healing
- Scarab of Invulnerability
- Giant Hunter Stone

There are few things worse than taking a wound (or more) trying to pick up a treasure glyph, only to discover that it is incredibly not helpful (like picking up the Holy Symbol of Pelor when your opponent's army doesn't have any undead figures in it).

Thanks again for your thoughts. I will definitely be looking for photos and game reports. I'd also love to hear any thoughts you guys have on the maps!

Old February 13th, 2019, 06:44 PM

@BiggaBullfrog (or anyone else that wants to chime in)

How are you feeling about these changes to Haukeland Marsh? You had shared some good criticisms that I felt merited a change after some consideration. This is what I'm working with right now.

I reworked the jungle placement so that it is no longer covering any level three (a wise bit of feedback for a tournament map I think) - I also slightly adjusted some of the height positioning.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios