Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old July 10th, 2007, 08:59 AM

wicked cool has disabled reputation
book 2 picks up the story so stick with it.
Old July 10th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Any George R.R. Martin fans out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaldoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotun
I'm looking for some good fantasy reading recommendations in the style of George R.R. Martin. No offense to anyone who has a great book to recommend, but if you haven't read George RR Martin then I honestly am not that interested. I may miss out on a few great books by doing that, but for now I'm looking for what I consider to be fantasy novels unlike anything else out there.

If you haven't read George RR Martin, pick up A Game of Thrones. GRRM breaks all the rules of fantasy novels and fiction in general. He is not afraid to kill a character even main characters. Since everyone is expendable you're on the edge of your seat the entire time.
I've only read the first book so i don't have all the info yet, so take this with a grain of salt. My summary is as follows. Brutally slow. Many (not all) boring characters. And of all the books I have ever read (alot), it has never taken me so long to finish a book. Maybe the next few will move better, because I was amazingly underwhelmed. I thought "The Wheel of Time" series moved slow, but that was more captivating than Ice and Fire part 1.

To each is own. I guess all the political intrigue is what makes it so boring for me. I hate politics in my world let alone a fantasy world. I know I probably should'nt read Book 2, but once I start something, I have to finish it...even if it takes me 20 years!!
I started the first book and had to put it down because it was too slow for me. After about a year or two, I tried it again and stuck with it and never looked back. Now I'm caught up with the series and waiting for tne new one.

It's not a hack and slash only type series , though there is plenty of that stuff. The intrigue and the unexpected twists are the genius of the series, not to mention the awesome characters and their development.

I found the first book to be the slowest and hardest to get through, after that, I couldn't get enough.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 10th, 2007, 11:40 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Strange, I never once found it slow or boring, but quite the opposite, fun and exhilarating.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old July 11th, 2007, 02:02 AM

oogiezone Woo who?
I only read the first book, as well, and I was thoroughly pissed off when I finished it. I like my books to end "happily ever after," that's why I read fantasy novels in the first place. This series is too real, the characters are too cruel. It takes me to a world that I don't like, where everything is twisted and wrong, and at the end of the book, everything and everyone is worse off without even the slightest chance (it seems) of ever getting better. It's too depressing for me.
Old July 11th, 2007, 06:00 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by oogiezone
I only read the first book, as well, and I was thoroughly pissed off when I finished it. I like my books to end "happily ever after," that's why I read fantasy novels in the first place. This series is too real, the characters are too cruel. It takes me to a world that I don't like, where everything is twisted and wrong, and at the end of the book, everything and everyone is worse off without even the slightest chance (it seems) of ever getting better. It's too depressing for me.
The realistic nature of the series is the disturbing and genius of it. It reflects what life might have actually been like back in the middle-ages as opposed to the romantic view of that time that is often presented. Life was hard and cruel back then (and it is now as well in different ways) and GRRM brings it out quite effectively. While I really do enjoy this series, I wouldn't want everything that I read to be as emotionally involved.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old July 11th, 2007, 11:14 AM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
There are a lot of good characters, but sadly, the evil dudes are mostly in power. "Power corrupts", etc...

I was horrified at the end of the first book as well - Ned was my favorite character - but I guess the richness of the story kept me going. Martin's is a Godless universe, which is what makes it so brutal, I guess, but I just can't seem to stop reading the books.
Old July 11th, 2007, 07:02 PM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I actually have Jonathan to thank for lending me the second and third and for the many conversations about the story. As far as the doom and gloom, well, I say thank goodness for Tyrion, he helps the story remain entertaining and off-beat.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old July 12th, 2007, 09:31 PM

Havokscry has disabled reputation
For those interested, there is a Hedge Knight II comic that just came out a few months ago.
Old July 12th, 2007, 10:49 PM
"Mr. Zettian Handshake"

Jonathan knows what's in an order marker Jonathan knows what's in an order marker
What?!? Really?!? The Sworn Sword?!? Nutties, I gots to get that!

Thanks for the update!!!

And more excessive punctuation?!@!%$)%^%^)%^%)!
Old July 24th, 2007, 10:29 PM
This week: Joah 2 Nwojedi 0

Joah has disabled reputation
Well you can add me to the list of 'Scapers waiting for "A Dance with Dragons" to come out. Finished "Crows" this afternoon. What an incredible series so far. Easily my favorite fantasy series ever.

I'm really hoping HBO can pull this off.

Old July 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM

Argent has disabled reputation
I LOVE these books. Easily my favorite series ever. I love that everyone acts like .....well... real people. They make mistakes, they die. No one is really safe. I can usually tell where things are heading in books and movies, but it's alot harder to figure out in these. I have been shocked by several things that have happened in the series. I can't wait for the next book, and will be getting HBO again when the series starts. I can't wait to see who gets cast in the different roles. I've always had some ideas if I could get anyone, without worring about budget. For example, I've always pictured Ned as Liam Niessen (sp?)

Favorite characters would be:

1. The Hound (favorite character in all the books)
2. Jamie ( I love how much he's changed)
3. Arya (can't wait to see how she turns out after her training)
4. Tyrion (great character, good comic relief)

Who else thinks Jon is Ned's nephew and not his son??

And what are people's guesses as to Brienne's word she says at the end of her last chapter?
Old July 25th, 2007, 02:25 PM

TheMightyAargh has disabled reputation
Just stumbled on this thread. I was recommended this book by a good friend of mine and am really, surprisingly, enjoying it. I've never heard of it before, but it's quickly becoming a favourite.

Just as a separate recommendation, for all those waiting for the latest books, you may want to try the Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay. Between my friend and I this is one of our all-time favourite series, and that's coming from two chaps who really enjoy GRRM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books