Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old March 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM

pti8 is surprisingly tart
Counter Army Thread

This is a thread for members to post an army that they want to play with. Then, some of these other members can respond to that my saying what the weakness are AND what are the some really dangerous armies for that army.

This is especially for the newer members that don't have as much experience with HeroScape as some of our older members around here.

~PTI
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Counter Army Thread

Alright, interesting enough.

I'll use one I've already played. I don't have any armies in the works right now.

3 Microcorp Agents
Skahen
Krav
James Murphy
595 points.
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:50 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy View Post
Alright, interesting enough.

I'll use one I've already played. I don't have any armies in the works right now.

3 Microcorp Agents
Skahen
Krav
James Murphy
595 points.

You might have problems against Braxas with that army.....

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
3 Microcorp Agents
Skahen
Krav
James Murphy
595 points.
First things first, that is a very solid army which does very good damage at range and is itself difficult to kill at range. You could make the strengths of this army even stronger by switching James Murphy out for Raelin RotV in a 600 point army. Ironically, it does nothing to address the weaknesses of this army - even adding one in the process.

The big threats to this army are insta-killers like Braxas, tie-downs like the Rats and normal ranged attack immunes like Drake. I would also list Cyprien as it is difficult to force him into situations where other units have height advantage against him. A difficult opposing army might be:

Braxas 210
Grimnak 120
Isamu 10
2x Heavy Gruts 140
3x Deathreavers 120

The Rats tie you down allowing Braxas to sweep in and devestate the Microcorp and KMA. The Heavies and Chompy tear up anything that lives.

~Aldin, who would say that at 590 without Isamu this army still beats the MCA army

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Braxas 210
Grimnak 120
Isamu 10
2x Heavy Gruts 140
3x Deathreavers 120
Braxas and Grimnak, eh? How about this army, which I'll call "go big or go home":

180 Marrden Hounds x2
210 Charos
60 Zetacron
140 DW9k
590, 18 hexes

Charos is a brutal matchup for that army. Only Braxas even wants to attack him, and she goes down quickly to his counterattacks. The rest of them face a losing proposition against counterstrike.

I'm probably pushing it by including DW9k+Zetacron in stead of Zelrig+Dumutef, but I still like this matchup. Nobody can get chomped or acid breathed, and the DW9K'S explosion attack keep Grimnak's aura largely out of play. Zelrig would do a better job of that, but I'm going for the worst overall army that can reliably get the job done.

Given that you've got the hounds up front, you can probably get away with some medium figures in the back. AE and Kaemon Awa are obvious candidates. The Majors are also obvious figures for this army, and they make it a stronger army in wider matchups (Houndsx3 + Q9 + Q10 makes an even 600... that sounds like a cool army).
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Braxas 210
Grimnak 120
Isamu 10
2x Heavy Gruts 140
3x Deathreavers 120
Braxas and Grimnak, eh? How about this army, which I'll call "go big or go home":

180 Marrden Hounds x2
210 Charos
60 Zetacron
140 DW9k
590, 18 hexes

Charos is a brutal matchup for that army. Only Braxas even wants to attack him, and she goes down quickly to his counterattacks. The rest of them face a losing proposition against counterstrike.

I'm probably pushing it by including DW9k+Zetacron in stead of Zelrig+Dumutef, but I still like this matchup. Nobody can get chomped or acid breathed, and the DW9K'S explosion attack keep Grimnak's aura largely out of play. Zelrig would do a better job of that, but I'm going for the worst overall army that can reliably get the job done.

Given that you've got the hounds up front, you can probably get away with some medium figures in the back. AE and Kaemon Awa are obvious candidates. The Majors are also obvious figures for this army, and they make it a stronger army in wider matchups (Houndsx3 + Q9 + Q10 makes an even 600... that sounds like a cool army).
Yeah, I ran a Q9/Deathstalker based army designed to take advantage of Large/Soulborg immunities once and it did very well. Did you see the army I'd really like considered above?

~Aldin, who really likes what he perceives to be the original intent for this topic

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:00 AM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
3 Microcorp Agents
Skahen
Krav
James Murphy
595 points.
Here's a relatively bad army that I would pick over that one.

130 Armoc Vipers x2
120 Venoc Warlord
200 Venoc Vipers x5
100 Elite Onyx Vipers
550, 25 hexes (drop a Venoc)

Stealth Dodge is useless, and you don't have any blockers to get in the way of the stream of frenzying vipers. EOVs grab glyphs, and Mittens and the Armocs handle cleanup. Use Gurei-Oni if you don't have EOV. I'm leaving 45 off the table but I'm not worried; the matchups are on my side.
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Thorgrim has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
3 Microcorp Agents
Skahen
Krav
James Murphy
595 points.

130 Armoc Vipers x2
120 Venoc Warlord
200 Venoc Vipers x5
100 Elite Onyx Vipers

Stealth Dodge is useless, and you don't have any blockers to get in the way of the stream of frenzying vipers. EOVs grab glyphs, and Mittens and the Armocs handle cleanup. Use Gurei-Oni if you don't have EOV. I'm leaving 45 off the table but I'm not worried; the matchups are on my side.
I'll counter this one!

130 - Deathwalker 8000
260 - Tagawa Samurai Archers X4
120 - Tagawa Samurai
80 - Raelin RoTV
590?!

Reasons being... COUNTERSRIKENZ! Muhahaha!
All melee armies cannot escape that which is counterstrike. Tagawa can just sit and wait for the vipers to come to them, and get stronger each time they strike back. Archers for range to damage the vipers pre-entry, and possible counterstrike. Deathwalker 8000 for his (or her?) renoun for killing defenseless beings (What a cowardly robot!). Raelin for her ability to make make them all last longer, and make counterstrike that much more scary.
Old March 17th, 2009, 07:08 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
I'll counter this one!

130 - Deathwalker 8000
120 - Tagawa Samurai
80 - Raelin RoTV
590?!

Reasons being... COUNTERSRIKENZ! Muhahaha!
All melee armies cannot escape that which is counterstrike. Tagawa can just sit and wait for the vipers to come to them, and get stronger each time they strike back. Archers for range to damage the vipers pre-entry, and possible counterstrike. Deathwalker 8000 for his (or her?) renoun for killing defenseless beings (What a cowardly robot!). Raelin for her ability to make make them all last longer, and make counterstrike that much more scary.
Sgt. Drake - 170
4th Mass x6 - 590 (drop one Mass)

Drake will kill DW8K before he gets enough shots off to take Drake down. The 4th Mass will own everything else.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorgrim View Post
Quote:
Quote:
3 Microcorp Agents
Skahen
Krav
James Murphy
595 points.

130 Armoc Vipers x2
120 Venoc Warlord
200 Venoc Vipers x5
100 Elite Onyx Vipers

I'll counter this one!

130 - Deathwalker 8000
120 - Tagawa Samurai
80 - Raelin RoTV
590?!

Reasons being...
Allow me to cancel your reason and suggest a new one -- my army wasn't very good!

Here's my counter to my army (not to yours):

300 Zombies x5
300, 15 hexes

I'm outnumbered and I'm leaving 250 points off the table. It doesn't matter. I'll still win.

The point of my original army wasn't to be a good army. In fact, it was to be a relatively weak army that, by its nature, revealed the flaws of the other army. In the case of Einar's puppy's army, it lacks high-defense heroes or blocking defensive units. It's special defensive powers work best against ranged figures. So a swarm of fast-moving melee can take it down, even if that army is rather one-dimensional.
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:03 PM

temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker temp.nerd knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Braxas 210
Grimnak 120
Isamu 10
2x Heavy Gruts 140
3x Deathreavers 120
So do I counter his army now?
If so, then:
His army requires clumping with the orcs, so why not send in Zelrig?

Zelrig 185
Airborne Elite 110
Wolves of Badru(good anti-rats) x2 160
Khosumet 75
Jonny "Shotgun" Sullivan 65

Dave Grohl + Josh Homme + John Paul Jones= awesome
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by temp.nerd View Post
So do I counter his army now?
I didn't think so, but out of curiosity, how did you intend to eliminate Braxas with that army?

~Aldin, inquisitively

to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion