Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events
Events Post your HS event or find an event near you

Notices

Old July 19th, 2019, 09:58 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: Islandscape XIII - 7/20 in Lindenhurst, NY

Interestingly, his card has a specific counter to another figure I expect to appear often in the tournament!
Old July 19th, 2019, 11:44 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Swamp Thing

Current version of Swamp Thing I'm bringing is below.

Rock Star

Last edited by kolakoski; July 19th, 2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old July 19th, 2019, 06:22 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

Guys, sorry but I'm not going to be able to make it tomorrow. Have fun!

Old July 19th, 2019, 06:55 PM

WarBanner is surprisingly tart

So sorry to hear it! On the upside, I think that means we have an even number of players, so no one has to take a bye.

Krug rhymes with "hug", not "dude"
Old July 19th, 2019, 08:58 PM

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Maps

We will be using BoV maps.

Dance of the Dryads
Fire Isles
Invasion
Mole Hills
Swamp Thing

(I didn't have enough trees to do Flash Fire with the other ones)

Attendees:

YES
Warbanner
Chas (Charlie)
Sir Dendrik (AJ)
Hufflemoon
DoomCarrot(Sam)
Kolakoski
Rich10
Gnomebot (Shaun)

I guess we'll have an extra map . . .
Old July 21st, 2019, 05:23 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

This year's usual one hour trip out from NYC turned to three, when the LIRR had a signal breakdown due to the extreme heat and humidity. But when I got there the store had been rebuilt nicely. Last year it was a total mess, due to their having just moved to the new location, so that was a nice surprise. We started about an hour late, but had a good time anyhow.

My three armies were:

Army #1: Vydar's Victors
Iron Golem 100
Black Wrymlings x2 60
Isamu 10
Total: 170

Army #2: Tough Guys
Crixus 90
Garret Burns 70 (My new mystery figure; I sang Willie Nelson songs as I played him, since he looks like him)
Bol 10

Army #3: Bullies
Asterios 120
Iskra Eisenwein 50

The drafting format was lots of fun. In my first game I lost to a new participant who hadn't played in 20 years. And that was with all three of my teams, since I offered to just let him play the three armies Warbanner had picked out for him after giving him a choice. The game actually went back and forth, and I was winning when he resurrected a Zombie Hulk and got the points back for it on the very last round, with excited spectators cheering us both on!

Later I certainly did use some armies of other players. When I got the draft choice, more often than not due to my low win/loss standing, I always picked second, letting my opponents get the first army but then choosing two myself. I thought that was the most satisfying and strategic way to do it. Its a good format.

I continued to lose without particular bad luck until my last game. One person never showed, so we all had to sit one round out,which counted as my only win on this fateful day. This final defeat was decided when my dangerous female opponent rolled her D20 to get three 20s and one 19 on a D20 on four consecutive rolls, using my own Black Wrymlings against me! Egad.

So I came away with my third Worst Luck boobie prize trophy and the boxed game Resistance: Avalon, a variation on the popular half hour party game Resistance I haven't tried out yet from the prize table. After cleaning up, host Warbanner dropped the three of us from the NYC contingent off at Babylon, so we got a train right away and I got home in much less time than it took to come out in the morning.

Thanks to all the players; I think I played against everyone but AJ
our tournament winner, who took home some woods terrain I'd left on the prize table, and Warbanner. Thanks especially to Warbanner for hosting and setting the whole thing up, extra car ferry duty, bringing a big tasty cake for us, and etc. The store Legendary Realms had its air conditioner working too, thank goodness, with drinks and snacks available. And that's how we turned a sow's ear into a silk purse during the Epic NYC Heat Wave of 2019, and Scaped away regardless!

Excelsior!

Last edited by chas; July 22nd, 2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old July 21st, 2019, 07:45 AM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker
Cool Re: Islandscape XIII - 7/20 in Lindenhurst, NY

Also thanks to warbanner for hosting Islandscape XIII!

Ended up at second place with 3-2, with those two losses both against AJ, who beat me fair and square both times with no unusual amount of luck on the dice.

I also really liked the draft format, and I found it led to some interesting mixups. I think every one of my armies got played against me at some point.

Looking forwards to Islandscape XIV!
Old July 21st, 2019, 02:51 PM

Well met!

Thanks to Warbanner for hosting Islandscape XIII!. He did a wonderful job under trying circumstances.

Iron Golem severely wounds Kaemon, but is overwhelmed by Dividers.

I, too, liked this format, and enjoyed discussing it with the aforementioned Warbanner, DoomCarrot, as well as with chas and Taeblewalker (who, with Sherman Davies, was not able to represent the Gang of Four in this tournament). Also, at the last minute without Rich10, we were left with seven players.

Warbanner
Chas (Charlie)
Sir Dendrik (AJ)
Hufflemoon
DoomCarrot(Sam)
Kolakoski
Gnomebot (Shaun)

My Three Pods

130 Deathcommander Mark III
40 Deathreavers x 1

170, 5 spaces

95 Major J15
75 Hornskulled Brutes x 1

170, 4 spaces

120 Kaemon
50 Marro Dividers x 1
170, 4 spaces

The Road to 2-2. My first match was against
Hufflemoon, who dispatched me handily with Wyrmlings and my own Kaemon Awa. After a Bye, Sir Dendrick effortlessly defeated me also "with no unusual amount of luck on the dice." My final match before the playoff round was with chas (who took the picture above). I set up on a hill near my start zone with Kaemon, Deathwalker Mark III, and a screen of Dividers and Rats, which chas assailed to no avail.

The Battle for Third Place. While Sir Dendrick and DoomCarrot had locked up 1st and 2nd place, there were three or four of us at 2-2 vying for 3rd place. My final, playoff game was with Warbanner, who brought

Sgt Drake (170)
Capt. Varan, Pathfinder x2 (150)
Pathfinder x4, Isamu (150)

The situation I was afraid of was here. I had the Draft Initiative, and forced Warbanner to choose first. He chose the Capt.'s pod, and I took the other two. So disadvantaged, he then had to endure a series of outrageous Defense die rolls by yours truly. When we were done, I offered him a Worse Luck endorsement. His bad luck was my good fortune. When the dust cleared . . .

A Trophy at last!

Congratulations to Sir Dendrick and DoomCarrot and all participants! Great job!

Last edited by kolakoski; July 21st, 2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old July 21st, 2019, 10:13 PM

Well met!

Sorting everything out tonight, and find my Deathcommander Mark III figure is missing.

If anyone should happen upon him, please let me know. Last game was with Warbanner . . .

Old July 22nd, 2019, 01:31 AM

Congratulations to Kolakoski!

Still, killing off K.'s Kaemon Awa, his very favorite Heroscape figure for years with my Iron Golem, was no mean feat! Also, my own trophy is almost identical to his, being undistinguishably smaller and reading "Worst Luck" instead.

The Ballad of Garrett Burns

Note Garrett Burns, the 'official unofficial' C3V custom figure I had just picked up on my summer vacation up at Taeblewalker's last week, in the photo above. He fired down from that hilltop to take out several 'rats,' and did the same to a number of different figures in other games, from Stingers to Wrymlings. In a scenario where figures over 170 Points were prohibited, this 70 point shooter did quite well overall.

I played him in every game. And since he looks just like Willie Nelson, I sang some lines from various Willie songs as I played! I had expected him to face Guilty McCreach at this tournament, and as an Outlaw get his +1 Attack Die against this Lawman. So it was ironic when I ended up playing them both together in the same game; GM from my opponent's army--the only time good old Guilty was actually fielded.

"My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys"
--Willie Nelson

Last edited by chas; July 22nd, 2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old July 22nd, 2019, 04:53 PM

DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker DoomCarrot knows what's in an order marker

Oof sorry to hear about your deathwalker. I just checked the little bag of units I brought to make sure I didn’t pick it up with any of mine, but I don’t have it. Have you called the store to ask if they happened to find it and have a lost and found maybe?
Old July 25th, 2019, 06:05 PM

Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Sir Dendrik is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Looked through my stuff, couldn't find Deathcommander.

I owe my victory entirely to the Horn Skull Brutes. I used them in every game and they always delivered. I'll be playing the same line up at GenCon--let's see if someone else grabs the Brutes before me in those games.

Handle origin: I used to film comedy skits with my friends. I didn't want any cursing in them, so I made up new insults, like "dendrik". Then Sir Denrick came out, and the rest is history.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events