Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old August 24th, 2018, 03:16 PM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker
2018 Feedback

Anything. Good. Props. Critique. Leave it here.

Some starters. How did we like the location of Lucas?

Events. Especially ones that were new this year, like C3G.

Ideas for next year. I've got one already. For the Learn to Play events. I would like to donate a master set or two for a drawing. Anyone who does learn to play will be in a drawing where they can win a free master set. Perhaps we could have one for each day, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Our learn to play events are doing well. This seems like a good transition to get the game into their hands.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old August 26th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: 2018 Feedback

1st a giant thanks to Ken and Lonewolf fro running everything. Thanks to everyone with a GM badge for HS, you all rock. Thanks to everyone who showed up and played, it was a blast as always.
Walter - you rock, thanks for all the help and storage you provide.
All said and done, I ended up liking Giant Stadium, it felt like a small con - but I am guessing less exposure there then the old place? It was farther for us to go, it was harder to go to the dealer hall, you had to walk up steps for the bathroom ( which where the cleanest , emptiest I have seen anywhere at GC ), and yet it grew on me. I would be happy being there again all said and done. I went back to where we always where located before and it seemed really crowded and they had some game pods you got into right behind beside our area, almost like a big wall between us and the doors.

As far as next year, learn and play, I thought we did not have that many people show up for it. I thought we need a sign that says learn to play right now. Have someone as GM there jut for play and learn people. Take generics. I would donate $20 a day in generics so people could play even if they do not have generics. We need a crazy cool board with all the terrain, right up front so people walking by see it - have a sign , learn to play with Generics right now on this board ( or another awesome board if this is being played on right now ).

I liked having a C3G event, even if I did not enter it. How full was it -out of the 16 slots it had.

Thanks Dok for giving out the dice to people, that was very cool.

Thanks to Mr. Chompy for being the other guy who brings a big tub of everything HS so we can all borrow stuff.

Thanks Orange Mailman for the night games, like I said next year, I just sit tight and not go back to the room, he he.

Thanks to our prize support guy, ? , who donated the pin this year, I like way better then the dog tags.

We need to get shirts for next year.

Just thank you to the whole HS community, what a great way to spend 4 days - just playing HS.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!
Old August 26th, 2018, 01:11 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun

This was my first year attending GenCon, so I don't know what the old place was like to compare it to Lucas Oil, but I didn't really mind the stadium. It would've been nice to be closer to the exhibit hall (and to be closer to where more people can see the game), but it wasn't a huge hassle. It definitely didn't stop me from having a great time and wanting to come back next year.

I agree with Hendal on the Learn to Play section. I didn't attend, but I'm assuming that they used the same 1v1 maps as the other tournaments, which I don't think is the best way to introduce the game to people. At the very least, I think that an impressive display map near the front of the section would do wonders to attract attention, maybe with a sign near it displaying the times for Learn to Play.

As for events, I would personally enjoy seeing a C3V/SoV tournament added to the ranks. Superhero 'Scape isn't really my cup of tea (and AotP doesn't seem to have enough viable unit options to truly justify a large event to me), but VC has some of my favorite "classic" designs that I would love to get the chance to use more.

Also, I second the notion of T-Shirts. I was pretty jealous of people that already had a HeroScape shirt.
Old August 27th, 2018, 09:58 AM
From less than zero to Hero!

Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death! Scapemage is hot lava death!

Everyone at C3G really appreciates the inclusion of C3G events and I personally hope to see more of them in the future.

I would second a C3V welcomed event, as well. A lot of effort goes into balancing units in both projects so they deserve to be included.

Like Superheroes and Comics?
C3G Project is Always Looking for New Members!

Head here to get started!

Playtesting is the most helpful thing!
Old August 27th, 2018, 10:01 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

First off, thanks to all who ran, help set-up, tear-down, organize, and played - was a blast. I am only sorry I did not make it out a day and a half earlier, but that is my fault for procrastinating a final paper for my MBA class. Anyway, for some comments:

Great as is:
  • Lucas Oil - I just think it is cool playing here. I could go back to other hall, but it just feels a lot more relaxed in this area is it is less noisy, more space to spread out, and less worried of semone stealing our stuff, like what happened to me in 2011
  • General wars was alliance as opposed to one general. Other event variety such as C3G was cool too.
  • RTW back and forth - great change that allows for quicker way to see who's best. Only wish was having computer to tabulate SOS for 3-2 players advancing as opposed to random.
Could be improved:
  • C3V/SoV tournament! If you have C3G, why not VC? Not to say main event should allow, but maybe take-2 or draft tournament should allow them as optional. I think 90% of players at Gencon have some exposure to them, so would be appreciated. Also for C3G, maybe have some pre-made armies in case people want to participate but don't have any figures/cards.
  • More maps to play on with less copies of each. I am not talking getting different terrain, I am talking more maps with the same terrain requirements in the tournament. Why not have 4 each of 18 different maps or even 6 each of 12 different maps instead of 9 each of 8 maps? The only counter-argument is people people bringing army based on maps, but if maps have the same terrain requirement, than more variety and more selection should take that consideration out of people's mind.
  • Prizes such as dice and buttons were great, but maybe have enough dice to give everyone who participates one or two dice. On Sunday @Matthias Maccabeus and @dok were nice enough to give away from their multiple winning sets, but it would be nice to give Heroscapers a participation gift.
Old August 27th, 2018, 10:26 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; August 27th, 2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old August 27th, 2018, 12:32 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Lucas oil, as a venue, was nice. It was a more comfortable place to play - quieter and less echo-ey, and generally felt less packed in. But all the same, I'd gladly go back to the regular convention hall next year, just to save myself about 30 minutes a day from two trips back and forth to Lucas Oil. Every minute at Gencon is precious.

Learn to Play not selling out is a bummer, for sure. I think it's just because events were posted late, though. Hopefully next year we avoid that snag and we're back to full attendance on those. I think that aside from that the events sold at about their usual rate? I know main event had the full 50 players (higher than most years) and the Thursday night event I host had its best numbers ever (14 players).

Of course I would prefer a reverse draft (or take 2, or regular draft, or cluster/pod draft, etc) main event over RTW (alternating or otherwise). I've made this clear many times of course. But overall the current event spread is really good. It's a nice mix of drafty formats for people like me, and just "bring your stuff and play it" events for the set that likes that. In most time slots I had an event that I was excited to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
C3V/SoV tournament! If you have C3G, why not VC? Not to say main event should allow, but maybe take-2 or draft tournament should allow them as optional. I think 90% of players at Gencon have some exposure to them, so would be appreciated. Also for C3G, maybe have some pre-made armies in case people want to participate but don't have any figures/cards.
90% is probably an exaggeration but more than half, at least. I think allowing them in one event in the regular time slots would be cool.

I've been calling classic-only in the Thursday Night event the last few years because I structure it as a warm-up event for the main event (same figure limit and point total). If I ran a Friday night event I'd make it VC-legal for sure, but I usually need to crash out at a reasonable hour on Friday night so I haven't committed to running anything there.

Having some prebuilt C3G armies (or equivalently, VC armies if we had a VC-legal event) is a really good idea. I bet we could have had better numbers for the C3G event if we had prepared like that. It would be mostly up to the people with bigger C3G collections (@Tornado or @Schulzy or @weebaer or @The Orange Mailman ) to manage that, although I could provide a list of suggested builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
More maps to play on with less copies of each. I am not talking getting different terrain, I am talking more maps with the same terrain requirements in the tournament. Why not have 4 each of 18 different maps or even 6 each of 12 different maps instead of 9 each of 8 maps? The only counter-argument is people people bringing army based on maps, but if maps have the same terrain requirement, than more variety and more selection should take that consideration out of people's mind.
I believe there were only 25 maps (maybe a couple more?). There was only 3 copies each of most maps, I believe. Maybe only 2x of Draugur (last I heard the Gencon collection only has 4x TT).
Old September 4th, 2018, 12:05 PM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Anyone staying in a hotel that the stadium was closer for them then the old place? Just wondering? The more I think about it, all the room was incredible to have in the stadium. Walking up the steps to the bathroom was the down side to the cleanest emptiest bathrooms I have found at GC. Also being by the library and open gaming area makes me think with a big cool map out front and a sign saying playing and learn all day with Generics, maybe we could get more walk by's to learn the game ( if their going to the library to play games, then this may also appeal to them.
The one night I went from my hotel room to the HS area with my heaviest cart of stuff and did it in 15 minutes, I was booking with the cart, but still had a cart. I would say normally walking at a regular pace it is 10 min. from my room, so that extra time is not that bad if your ok to hustle a bit ( i figure it is good for me since we sit most of the day gaming. ).

Dice are for winning, not for everyone. I am old, we never had participation trophy's, he he.

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con