Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Old May 19th, 2014, 05:12 PM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun
Heroscape / Film Pairings

I was looking at the Heroscaper's Top Ten Movie list and it got me thinking: which would be the favorite movies of the Heroscape units? Or, to put it another way, what movies do you really need to see to appreciate your Heroscape collection? These aren't necessarily great films, but they should be popcorn-enjoyable and relate to a Heroscape unit or faction. I started with Evar-Scarcarver's Inclusive Faction list as a base, and took many suggestions from the Top Ten Movie list. I've seen many, but not all, of these movies. Feel free to suggest additional movie - Heroscape unit pairings (there are plenty of blanks), and I'll update this list periodically.

Let's get the obvious out of the way:

Marvel:
Captain America / Red Skull: Captain America: The First Avenger
Iron Man: Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3...
Silver Surfer: Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer
Thanos: The Avengers (cameo)
Incredible Hulk / Abomination: The Incredible Hulk (200o)
Doctor Doom: Fantastic Four
Spider-Man / Venom: Spider-Man, Spider-Man 3

OK, on to Classic and VC:

Samurai: The Seven Samurai....

Orcs: Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Marro: Aliens, Pitch Black....

Death Borgs / Tron Borgs / Cronborgs: Transformers, RoboCop, The Iron Giant...

Undead:
Vampires (Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein): Nosferatu (1922), Dracula (1992)
Skeletons (Tomb Skeletons, Skeletons of Annellintia): Jason and the Argonauts (1963), Army of Darkness
Zombies of Morindan: 28 Days Later, Night of the Living Dead
Phantom Knights: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Other Undead units (Thralls, Shades, etc)....?

Agents:
Agent Carr: The Matrix
Agent Skahen: Kill Bill 1 and 2
Nakita Agents: Charlie's Angels
Krav Maga Agents: Men In Black
Microcorp Agents: ?
Microcorp Troopers: ?

Primadons: Planet of the Apes series

Mariedian Resistance: Star Wars: A New Hope, Serenity / Firefly

Soldiers:
Roman Era (Marcus Decimus Gallus / Roman Archers / Roman Legionnaires / Parmenio / Sacred Band): Ben Hur,...?
Colonial Era (10th Regiment of Foot / 4th Massachusetts Line / Sam Brown): ???
WWII Era (Airborne Elite / Sgt. Drake Alexander / Capt. John Varan): Saving Private Ryan, The Dirty Dozen,...?

Berserkers:
Alastair MacDirk / MacDirk Warriors: Braveheart
Vikings: The 13th Warrior, a very fun retelling of Beowulf. The Long Ships is the greatest Viking yarn ever (read the book!) I can't vouch for the 1964 movie (or the 2015 one, either, natch.)

Gladiators: Spartacus (1960), Gladiator (2000)

Martial Artists / Ninjas: Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), Hero (2002),...?

Knights: Another "where to start with" list. Game of Thrones, Monty Python and the Holy Grail,...?

Lawmen (and Indians)
Lawmen: Unforgiven, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Once Upon a Time In the West,...?
Indians (Brave Arrow / Mohican River Tribe): The Last of the Mohicans

Dwarves: The Hobbit

Elves: The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Jungle Creatures
Fyorlag Spiders: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Aragog!), Eight-Legged Freaks...
Others:...?

Wolves and Demons
Wolves: An American Werewolf In London, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Underworld...
Demons: ???

Factionless Units:
Tandros Kreel: Conan the Barbarian (because it had to be on this list somewhere)
The Fortress Door: Snow White and the Huntsmen (2012) actually had a good depiction of siege tactics, IMHO.

Factions / groups I don't have movies for yet

Vipers?
Dragons? Seems like there should be a lot in this category, but I can't think of any.
Elementals? No idea.
Drow: ?
Warforged: ?
Varkaanan: ?
Kyrie: ?

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Old May 19th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape / Film Pairings

I am not sure where you should put it but Sucker Punch is the movie that feels the most like Heroscape to me.

For the Marro: Mutant Chronicles

Cool list.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old May 19th, 2014, 06:39 PM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

It's only sort of a film, but I really rate the Last Dragon. It's a faux documentary using actual science to explain how a dragon could have worked biologically had it existed, plus it has a couple of cool, if not deep at all, storylines based on this (the flashback ones looking at the actual dragons as well as the one following the paleontologist who made the discovery) - it's just fun and somewhat interesting, to my mind at least. Good stuff - highly recommended.

Avengers should be listed there for Iron Man, Captain America and Hulk too, IMO. Plus, C3G opens up so much more there.

My Family's Classic Customs
- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:13 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun

I hadn't heard of the Last Dragon or Mutant Chronicles, will add. And Sucker Punch could go with the Soulborgs or the Orcs or both -- I can't remember but she fights both, right? Maybe a new category for Genre Mashups... I'd have to include Time Bandits for the final battle where he summons knights, cowboys, and a tank to fight the Evil Genius.

Since I have the Seven Samurai on here, I should probably include The Magnificent Seven (Seven Samurai in the Old West!) for the Lawmen. And heck, Battle Beyond the Stars (Magnificent Seven in Space!) for the Mariedians to complete the trifecta. That would be an interesting film festival...
Old May 20th, 2014, 08:49 AM
Hard as ice

Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death! Lazy Orang is hot lava death!

Hmm.... just a thought, but I'm wondering if Batman Begins could fit the ninjas. There are a lot of ninjas in it, at least at the beginning and end (due to Ra's and all). Not a perfect fit, but then again, not many of these are.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================
Old May 20th, 2014, 09:12 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Nice call on Time Bandits.
When LO said Last Dragon, I thought he meant The Last Dragon featuring the legendary Bruce Leroy. Sho-Nuff!

Check out Mutant Chronicles. It is a great action flick with a Steam Punk feel and mutants that resemble Ne-Gok-Sa. One guy has a gun that fires white phosphorous.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey

Last edited by Tornado; May 21st, 2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old May 20th, 2014, 10:30 AM
Hard as ice

Nah, I meant this one. Think I've found it on YouTube here. I highly recommend it if you love dragons like I do - I used to be a real dragon buff while I was younger and still like them now.

- The Stiff Corpse
=====================

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies