Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old August 30th, 2021, 10:53 PM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 8/28/2021 - Undead Wolf)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Really cool card! I like how undying ties in with his ability to start shrugging off wounds, thematic for an undead lord of darkness ^^

80 points is an interesting place to put him but I think it makes sense given his low life total. 4 defense is still solid and I like that there is 1 power on the card. It is always great to see a custom hit that level of specificity. Gnoll witherling huh? I will have to look into that miniature.
Thanks for commenting. I'm glad you like the design/theme; I tend to overcomplicate some of my ideas, so it's nice to see a simpler unit have such a reception. It was actually fairly difficult to pin down a cost for the unit. I often compared it to the Ice Troll Berserker and Skull Demon when testing, as they fill similar design spaces at similar point costs, but I ultimately decided to bump the points a bit higher than those units' due to Sotakh's high Defense for a regenerating unit.

As for the miniature: it's a recent release that is fairly easy to find online. The pack sells for about $4 to $5 and comes with two unpainted sculpts of the same basic character in different poses. I'm not crazy about the rock piece attached to each miniature's feet, but your tastes may vary.
Old September 19th, 2021, 12:15 AM

Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness Blue Trails wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Blue Trails's Customs (Updated 9/18/2021 - Gladiator)

It's been a little while since I last posted here, but I saw a relatively new sculpt that I thought would make a neat Gladiator.

Original figure image credit goes to MiniatureMarket.com.

The figure used for this unit is a D&D: Icons of the Realms figure from the Snowbound set. The name of the figure is Chardalyn Berserker.

Bio:
Spoiler Alert!

Card Text:
Spoiler Alert!

Designer's Thoughts:
Spoiler Alert!

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Received
- Capuan Gladiators: Human Gladiator Hero Bonding
As a Human Gladiator Hero, Bestiarius may take a turn using the Capuan Gladiators' Human Gladiator Hero Bonding special power.
- Count Raymond: Maneuver 9
As a Human who follows Einar, Bestiarius may benefit from Count Raymond's Maneuver 9 special power.
- Priscus: Taste of Freedom
As a Gladiator, Bestiarius may benefit from Priscus's Taste of Freedom special power.
- Spartacus: Gladiator Inspiration
As a Gladiator, Bestiarius may benefit from Spartacus's Gladiator Inspiration special power.
Synergy Benefits Offered
- Ebon Armor: Animated Materiel
As a Unique Human, Bestiarius may host an Ebon Armor figure via its Animated Materiel special power.
- Priscus: Taste of Freedom
As a Gladiator, Bestiarius may contribute to Priscus's Taste of Freedom special power.
- Spartacus: Gladiator Inspiration
As a Gladiator, Bestiarius may contribute to Spartacus's Gladiator Inspiration special power.
As always, comments are welcome.
Old September 19th, 2021, 01:37 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I had to read his SA a lot to "get it", because it seemed too strong at first glance. There's some issues with the whole "shields or blanks" on attack dice due to the original red and blue attack and defense dice that had all blanks, hence why the flagbearers request that you use their Valkyrie Dice which are of course in the form of the 3-skulls 2-shields 1-blank we're used to. I believe the term for those types is "combat dice" while the others are attack dice and defense dice respectively. Honestly you could make the defense reduction automatic since you're pretty likely to roll a blank on 7 dice anyway.

All that yapping aside, he's quite cool. It's good that he's often squishier than his peers and can still get counterstuck against high-defense targets. Fearless Advantage is also a nice touch, though it makes me wonder if he shouldn't have had a Fearless personality to match.

~TAF

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old September 19th, 2021, 04:26 PM

blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby! blast_shark rolls all skulls baby!

I concur with @TheAverageFan that the defense reduction part of the ability is wordy and difficult to parse at first glance.

As it reads, the Special Attack has a roughly 72% chance of triggering the defense reduction every time you use it. The only way I can think of to game it is by using that attack on OM3 on a round where you lost initiative so that you have a chance of taking the initiative and revealing OM1 before your opponent reveals an OM.

I think it would be both more interesting and easier to understand if the condition for the defense reduction was changed. My initial thought is to have it trigger when Bestiarius is wounded by one of the excess shields. The wording being something along the lines of:

"PRECARIOUS SWING SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 7.
When attacking with Precarious Swing Special Attack, all excess shields rolled by the defending figure count as unblockable hits inflicted by the defending figure on Bestiarius. If Bestiarius receives a wound this way, subtract 1 from his Defense until the next time you reveal an Order Marker on any Army Card."

That way, the probability of the ability triggering is dependent on the defense of the figure you're attacking rather than being static. If you wanted to make it trigger more frequently, then you could change the wording to "If Bestiarius did not wound/destroy a figure with this attack... (defense reduction)"
Old September 19th, 2021, 10:47 PM

Thanks for the responses, guys. If Precarious Swing is only easily comprehensible to its creator, I'll have to rewrite it at some point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAverageFan View Post
I had to read his SA a lot to "get it", because it seemed too strong at first glance. There's some issues with the whole "shields or blanks" on attack dice due to the original red and blue attack and defense dice that had all blanks, hence why the flagbearers request that you use their Valkyrie Dice which are of course in the form of the 3-skulls 2-shields 1-blank we're used to. I believe the term for those types is "combat dice" while the others are attack dice and defense dice respectively. Honestly you could make the defense reduction automatic since you're pretty likely to roll a blank on 7 dice anyway.

All that yapping aside, he's quite cool. It's good that he's often squishier than his peers and can still get counterstuck against high-defense targets. Fearless Advantage is also a nice touch, though it makes me wonder if he shouldn't have had a Fearless personality to match.

~TAF
I see what you mean. I hadn't thought about the red and blue dice in years; after having played with "normal" combat dice for so long, "attack dice" merely meant "dice rolled during an attack" to me. I did consider a guaranteed Defense drop at one step, so I might revert back to that version. I'm glad you like the rest of the unit, though!

Also, nice catch with Fearless Advantage. I had wanted to keep uniformity with the Classic Gladiators, and I thought that Heracles had set a precedent for using the power without a Fearless personality, but I checked again and found that I was mistaken. Fearless is a good personality for the design, anyway, so I'll likely make that change when I reword the special attack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blast_shark View Post
I concur with @TheAverageFan that the defense reduction part of the ability is wordy and difficult to parse at first glance.

As it reads, the Special Attack has a roughly 72% chance of triggering the defense reduction every time you use it. The only way I can think of to game it is by using that attack on OM3 on a round where you lost initiative so that you have a chance of taking the initiative and revealing OM1 before your opponent reveals an OM.

I think it would be both more interesting and easier to understand if the condition for the defense reduction was changed. My initial thought is to have it trigger when Bestiarius is wounded by one of the excess shields. The wording being something along the lines of:

"PRECARIOUS SWING SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 7.
When attacking with Precarious Swing Special Attack, all excess shields rolled by the defending figure count as unblockable hits inflicted by the defending figure on Bestiarius. If Bestiarius receives a wound this way, subtract 1 from his Defense until the next time you reveal an Order Marker on any Army Card."

That way, the probability of the ability triggering is dependent on the defense of the figure you're attacking rather than being static. If you wanted to make it trigger more frequently, then you could change the wording to "If Bestiarius did not wound/destroy a figure with this attack... (defense reduction)"
Those are interesting ideas for changes; careful target selection is already important when using the special attack, and I'm open to enhancing that factor. The only issue is that an Attack of 7 makes woundless attacks pretty rare, and I am reluctant to change the value because of how it affects the unit's gameplay dynamic. The special attack is supposed to always give players the option to trade survivability for a bigger blow; even under optimal conditions (Spartacus + height vs a larger opponent), Bestiarius's normal attack isn't intended to outperform Precarious Swing without the aid of a map-defining feature like a Glyph. To justify this power level on a 115-point unit, the drawback has to be very consistent; honestly, I would have made the Defense drop automatic, but I thought that I could add some tension by keying it to the attack's results.

I do like the idea of avoiding the Defense drop by destroying a figure, so I might play around with it.

By the way, welcome to the boards! It's nice to see new faces around here.
Old September 20th, 2021, 08:48 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

I like the gladiator; I'm using a tweak of Fearless Advantage in a custom I'm working on, so it's good to see someone else doing some Heroscape recycling too. That said, I think the two powers here might work together better if Precarious Swing were a special power instead of a special attack; as it is, it seems like the bonus attack die from Fearless Advantage would rarely come into play.
Old September 21st, 2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherman Davies View Post
I like the gladiator; I'm using a tweak of Fearless Advantage in a custom I'm working on, so it's good to see someone else doing some Heroscape recycling too. That said, I think the two powers here might work together better if Precarious Swing were a special power instead of a special attack; as it is, it seems like the bonus attack die from Fearless Advantage would rarely come into play.
Thanks, man. It's always nice to reuse a power effectively, if only to show consistency with Classic designs.

I would be a little hesitant to change the unit's first power to a special power, though, because I don't want to overreach into the Azurite Warlord's space. Bestiarius already costs 30 points fewer with an identical Attack value (under neutral conditions) that is attained without a guaranteed self-inflicted wound, and Fearless Advantage shores up the difference in Life in certain matchups. Thus, I figured it would be best to institute a 7-die cap and leave factors such as Finn, height, auras, and Glyphs for the Warlord to enjoy.
Old September 27th, 2021, 05:20 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I dig Bestiarius. That 7 Attack swing coming with the Ogre Brute drawback is a nice touch, though I thought I'd also voice the opinion that the defense drop should just be automatic. Should be much less words, and it's not like its very common for him to not take the defense penalty. That being said, this guy really appreciates something like Raelin or Spartacus giving him extra defense. More swings with that flail, and 7 life isn't going to go down any time soon!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 27th, 2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I dig Bestiarius. That 7 Attack swing coming with the Ogre Brute drawback is a nice touch, though I thought I'd also voice the opinion that the defense drop should just be automatic. Should be much less words, and it's not like its very common for him to not take the defense penalty. That being said, this guy really appreciates something like Raelin or Spartacus giving him extra defense. More swings with that flail, and 7 life isn't going to go down any time soon!
I appreciate that. With such a solid consensus on the defense drop, and with the fact that it shouldn't really affect the unit's gameplay, that change is definitely coming. Moreover, while I don't always consider prioritizing word count over spelling out exactly how I want a power to work, that is still a very valid viewpoint and an advantage to such an update.

The point about defense boosts is spot on, though. Due to Precarious Swing's defense drop, it's sometimes easy to forget that Bestiarius is almost as tough as Valguard, and any sort of outside help allows a player to really leverage that fact. Even Thorgrim's Spirit is a notable improvement, although this does mean delaying the Gladiator attack for a few rounds.
Old September 27th, 2021, 11:30 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Trails View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I appreciate that. With such a solid consensus on the defense drop, and with the fact that it shouldn't really affect the unit's gameplay, that change is definitely coming. Moreover, while I don't always consider prioritizing word count over spelling out exactly how I want a power to work, that is still a very valid viewpoint and an advantage to such an update.

The point about defense boosts is spot on, though. Due to Precarious Swing's defense drop, it's sometimes easy to forget that Bestiarius is almost as tough as Valguard, and any sort of outside help allows a player to really leverage that fact. Even Thorgrim's Spirit is a notable improvement, although this does mean delaying the Gladiator attack for a few rounds.

Or just kill Throgrim yourself.

Wait, that'd be an Utgar thing lol.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 28th, 2021, 12:50 AM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Definitely an awesome custom, I wouldn't assume keeping track of his dropped defense should be any kind of a problem. Fearless advantage is really interesting to see here, paired with a Spartacus build he is a welcome addition to the steam roller strategy. Curious to see how he does on the board, do you have any favorite builds with him yet?
Old September 29th, 2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Definitely an awesome custom, I wouldn't assume keeping track of his dropped defense should be any kind of a problem. Fearless advantage is really interesting to see here, paired with a Spartacus build he is a welcome addition to the steam roller strategy. Curious to see how he does on the board, do you have any favorite builds with him yet?
Thanks. I took the wording for the defense drop's duration from Estivara's Cloud of Darkness power, which I've never seen cause problems in play, so I didn't think it would be hard to track. As far as builds go, I mostly just slot Bestiarius over Crixus in the steamroller or draft him alongside Priscus, Capuans, and some sort of ranged component that can lure in the opposing army. The unit tends to draw attention due to its high damage output, so anything that appreciates a diversion or that likes to play cleaner also works.

------------------------------
While I'm here, I wanted to post some updates on various designs.

Fiendsoul War Dancers
Spoiler Alert!

Mimameid
Spoiler Alert!

Edasich
Spoiler Alert!

Bestiarius
Spoiler Alert!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards