Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Notices

Old January 16th, 2008, 07:16 PM

Location: Grut with the other Orcs ready to eat salted Baby preztels
BRUNAK has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper
Ahh. Good question. I want to post some photos of the map that's up right now and I might throw in a description of the battle, but I didn't take any action shots.

We were teaching someone how to play and I didn't want to rattle him too much with the camera.

Anyway I have those photos, and then I'll have to break this 3 way map down, to set up something more appropriate to a 2 player game.
Sweet! I need a new idea for a map.

BRUNAK is Nerak in the PLATINUM CAVE!
Old April 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM

raholiver has disabled reputation
Thumbs up Re: 'Scaper family battles - TWO new reports!!

Wow

Major Q9 is always the last unit alive!
Old April 19th, 2008, 06:22 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 'Scaper family battles - TWO new reports!!

You know, I'm almost always bored by regular battle reports. Not hte case here. They are exciting ( they are close games) have pictures (Adds a ton) and have cool units (I love the shades and Tsa. Not to mention that Charos is awsome. Even though I don't have him...)
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:53 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

This is one of my favorite threads ever. Where has daddyscaper gone?

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old November 8th, 2008, 09:47 PM

StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker StarofEarendil knows what's in an order marker

Nice battle reports, Daddyscaper!

Contend, O Lord, against those who contend against me;
Fight against those who fight against me. Psalm 35:1
Old November 8th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Chilly Fangirl

ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla ABOMINATION is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarofEarendil View Post
Nice battle reports, Daddyscaper!
Daddyscaper won't be answering you for a long time.
Old November 9th, 2008, 04:01 PM

edridtc123 Woo who?

If you ever do return, Daddyscaper, know that these battle reports are the original reason I was attracted to Heroscapers a year ago!
Old February 3rd, 2010, 04:34 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Wow, thank you for the kind words, over a year later. We've been playing again though without the photojournalism. I am thrilled to see new material coming out and perhaps one day I'll be busting out the camera again.

I am really touched by some of these kind words, over a year old but new to me.

I really love some of the battle reports I'm reading now, particularly A-Train's.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; February 3rd, 2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 11:03 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

The More Things Change…

KidScaper and I were delighted when grandpa came to visit because we knew he’d play. So I built a map for a three way free for all, incorporating terrain from the new(ish) master set in a large map for three.

Clockwise from the left: KidScaper, me, grandpa.

The theme for the map was a forest glade with a volcanic disturbance in the center. The three 23 hex start zones are each separated by some elevated hexes. In the foreground is a small rise with a little bit of water and no significant obstruction, at the far right is a steeper and taller hill with several trees both on it and in front of it, and in the far left is a low, flat plateau with ruins and a tree separating it from the road that circles the volcanic area in the center. I incorporated the new terrain in three ways: The stalagmites provide both the illusion of extra height and effective obstructions at the center of the map, the shadow tiles mix well with the asphalt and lava field in the surrounding hexes, and the dungeon tiles with their gray edges give a more volcanic look to the central spire than the brown-edged 7’s would.

The Defense +1 glyph is at the center of the map. If I were to play this map again I would probably substitute the Defense +2 and perhaps remove some of the water in the foreground to draw a little more action into that corner.

I did not take any pictures during the game, I’ve found (heresy!) Heroscape is easier to teach – and to play – when not pausing to compose and illuminate a photograph twice every five minutes. So I put together a few pictures afterward and here is the report…

Me:
KoW x2
Mass x2
Eldgrim
Nilfheim

KidScaper, displaying his fondness for Mittens and the WoA, which are a much better unit than I used to think:

Mittens
Venoc x1
Armoc x1
Aubriens x1
EoV
Syvarris
WoA x2

This picture also shows the different types of terrain creating the volcanic field. I’m not a big fan of using large amounts of the lava field or the lava terrain, but by mixing in the shadow (right), stalagmites, and asphalt from Marvelscape (upper edge of the volcano), I can get the effect without using much of the nuclear lava and lava field terrain.

KidScaper had prepared two 600 point armies for grandpa to choose from; grandpa chose Utgar over Einar and played this:

Werewolves of London x2
Khosumet
Deepwyrm Drow x1 (another KidScaper favorite)
Pelloth
Othkurik

For those keeping score at home, yes that is 600 points for KidScaper & grandpa, and 500 points for me. What can I say, he’s a tough negotiator and I’m a sucker.

The Battle, or “How Not to Play a Free For All”

KidScaper won initiative and sent his Mittens-boosted Armocs toward me. This is a strategy he’s had mixed success with; his hope is, of course, to get on some of my softer units with a lucky frenzy roll.

He doesn’t get it, and I overextend and use a bonded Eldgrim to destroy two of them immediately. I then make the mistake that led to my early elimination: I attempt to (a) defend from KidScaper and simultaneously (b) occupy the high ground overlooking grandpa’s start zone. Shouldn’t have done both.

Mostly I was dealing with grandpa, in this area:

I sent 4 of the Mass up the hill with a couple knights on the road to try to head off any wolves/drow.

Unfortunately grandpa, no fool as a game player, realized that after my opening skirmish with KidScaper he could, diplomatically, safely focus entirely on me. So the Mass wound up defending from *both* the wolves and the drow, and Pelloth and Khosumet both came wandering over. I held them off for awhile, peppering Khosumet and Pelloth and forcing grandpa to save his Drow over and over again with Hide in Darkness, which he obliged me by successfully doing.

Meanwhile, KidScaper

sent his Aubriens down this road and up into the central area to start harassing me from behind, like grandpa understanding that I had painted a bullseye on myself and he needn’t worry about anyone but me.

The Aubriens picked off one or two of the Mass I’d sent out as reinforcements and then Syvarris emerged, really getting on my nerves from the opposite corner of the battlefield. Range of 9??? I know he’s from the original master set so I should be over it, but come on. That’s ridiculous. Nilf started to take wounds in my start zone.

Anyway it got to the point where if I had any brains I would have pushed toward grandpa, where at least I had height with a couple of my remaining Mass, but I was so annoyed at KidScaper that I put a couple orders on Nilf and sent him out after Syvarris.

I did put a couple wounds on him but sadly he and a single surviving Aubrien finished me off. Meanwhile Othkurik flew to the top of the hill and wiped out my remaining activated Mass. All that remained of my units was two or three KoW and one or two Mass and, though I had injured Khosumet and Pelloth, I don’t think I killed anything besides KidScaper’s squad of Armocs and one or two of grandpa’s squaddies.

All in all a very poor showing for me.

But the game went on without me, leading to a thrilling conclusion as Syvarris and the Aubrien went down after destroying Othkurik and Pelloth.

In the center of the board it was Kidscaper’s Mittens + Venocs + 1 WoA battling Khosumet + 1 squad of Anubian wolves with the high ground and the glyph. KidScaper was quite the little gentleman throughout the game, reminding grandpa do take his Hide in Shadow rolls, etc., but I think he knew when to keep his mouth shut and gained one decisive advantage in the endgame: Grandpa had been neglecting Khosumet, recognizing that the wolves could do much more damage on any given OM than he could, so Khosumet sat out of the way on low ground. +5% on the Unleashed Fury roll was just not enough reason to play the several OM’s necessary to get him up the spire.

What I think KidScaper realized before grandpa was that Khosumet could have held the glyph in the center of the volcano, then all 3 of the surviving wolves could have stood on the perimeter *and* benefitted from the Relentless Assault enhancement.

Grandpa did figure this out, during a break from the game, but it was too late. KidScaper’s first OM after the break committed his one remaining WoA to tying down Khosumet, who with one wound already could neither destroy her or safely disengage and make a run for it. As I recall Khosumet was destroyed trying to get a lucky roll and destroy the cursed elf warrior.

Anyway the endgame was very exciting, if not completely balanced:

Needless to say, KidScaper eventually wore grandpa’s brave warriors down.

There would have been more drama had the EOV ever left KidScaper's start zone.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 20th, 2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: fixing links, I think? Somebody say something if links aren't working please.
Old March 23rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
Online HS Season 6 Champion

TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheSparkleInYourWater is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: 'Scaper family battles

Everything looks good on my end Daddyscaper.

Nice battle reports, it must take a bit of work to do. I really appreciate you (and the others that do) posting them on here just so bums like me can be entertained.
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:57 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Not so much a true 'Scaper family battle, KidScaper and I went to a tourney today directed by champ TD clancampbell and here is my battle report as it relates to my own games:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyScaper View Post
Congratulations, EP!

Many thanks, Clan, for running such a fine tournament after relocating on short notice. Also I thought the format was very interesting: no more than 3x common units total. A close reading of the armies listed above reveals that *one* of us, *ahem* Technomagus, had excessive commons. I think, Clan, he actually had 10th Reg. x2 ,which would have been a total of 5. But who’s counting, except for KidScaper, who busted ‘Magus when they faced off in round 2. In ‘Magus’ defense, he apologized profusely, felt badly, and was mocked the entire afternoon.

Several ‘Scapers on this forum were kind enough to give me some advice on army construction. In the end I went with an army I thought would do pretty well, and I think it was not the army but my own failures in command that did me in, at least in round 1.

Round 1:
Map: The Frozen Cavern
Me: 4th Mass x2, AE, Drake (ROTV), Eldgrimm
Drewcula: Fen Hydra x2, Stingers x2, Rats
I don’t think on paper this should have been the blowout it was. But Drewcula played flawlessly and I made a series of strategic blunders, large and small, that cost me the game.
Fairly early drop for my AE, as I recall I disposed of 2 ‘Reavers with grenades. Drewcula deployed his Stingers and clamped down the area in front of his start zone for the duration of the game. I did some minor damage with the AE but I was foolishly pushing my Mass x2 up also, trying to keep cover, when I should have been turtling with everything but the AE until the AE were gone. I don’t recall getting off a single WTF. And obviously Drake should have been the counter to the Stingers. *Doh!* I lost badly.
0-1

Round 2:
Map: Marpesia’s Glory
Eamonn: Nakitas, Q9, Krav Maga
Again I had a nice early AE drop. Round 1, and I won initiative, and Eamonn had all his units bunched up tight in his start zone. My eyes did the cartoon thing where they spin and come up dollar signs as I picked up dice for the grenades. Every single grenade affected every single one of his units except for one Nakita, and the most I got out of it was one Krav agent. That was it. I really think it was basically over right there; the AE were no match for Q9 after that and it basically came down to whether I could get a favorable engagement with my Eldgrim-enhanced Drake that would bring down the robot. If I couldn’t do that, I was done. And I couldn’t. I think I got in one swing with the 6 dice attack and that was it.
0-2

Round 3:
Map: Frostbite
Xanth: Q9, Q10, Blastatrons, Otonashi
Again the AE dropped early, but Xanth’s units were spread out so I held them back & fanned them out as snipers. Their height-boosted normal attacks did some damage to the large robots, but eventually Q10 disposed of them. Poor Xanth was completely done in when my Eldgrim-enhanced Drake went *crazy* with the dice, hitting 4, 5, or 6 skulls each time. Q10 went down, Q9 soon after. I remember one blastatron getting in front of my start zone where the 4th Mass was still packed tight and killing one of them, but my next OM was on the 4th and it looked like a firing squad. Anyway it surely would have been closer but the dice were my friends.
1-2

Map: High Point 2
Son of Mad Wookie: Stingers x3, Cyprien, Sonya, Marcu
This was the first matchup I thought really favored my army. I don’t know how it normally plays out, but I thought 4th Mass *ought* to be able to handle flying vampires, as long as they stand in a clump.
Once again the AE dropped in the first round. They took height right in front of SoMW’s start zone and *crushed* with the grenades. When they were done there were only 4 surviving Stingers and Cyprien had taken two wounds. The dice turned in SoMW’s favor in the second half of our game, as Cyprien and Sonya made saving rolls over and over with the defense dice. Drake went down, but there was too much WTF for the vampires. Cyprien went down, finally, doing his two damage to Sonya who, wounded already, succumbed as well. I felt like the dice cut both ways in this game but the vampires, melee units that can only take down one squaddie at a time, were just going to have a rough time against my WTF army.
2-2

Many thanks to all attendees and especially Clan; KidScaper and I had a splendid time and are looking forward to the next one, wherever it may be.
Tourney thread with images of the maps here; post tourney thread here.

= =
Old April 7th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

The 'Scaper Family Invitation Tournament

Leading into our first tournament, the one in the preceding post, KidScaper and I hosted our first ‘Scaper Family Invitational Tournament, by which I mean we had visitors who already knew how to play. So we played a mini-tourney with premade armies we were fooling around with in preparation for Clancampbell’s tourney, so we used appropriate armies and maps.

Set up on our table were Wicked Wall, a weird brute of a map, and High Point 2, a really delightful little map that I could play on again and again. Find the maps at the tourney linked above.

My first game was played on High Point 2. My team of players consisted of my buddy, his youngest son, I think 6 years old, who was responsible for many of our decisions, and me. Our opponent was my buddy's oldest kid, Jesse, I believe 11.

Our army was, for a long time, the army I was going to bring to the tournament. Jesse’s army was one I was, at the time, inclined to bring instead. Remember 400 points, single general, no more than 3x total common units:

Us:
Einar –
Kozuke
Kaemon Awa
Tagawa Samurai Archers x1
Valguard

I will say about this army that I believe in it. I do not think, though, that I have the skill level necessary to play it effectively, and I do not regret leaving it at home for Clancampbell’s tourney.

Jesse:
Utgar –
Mimring
Phantom Knights x2
Brunak

With the idea being that Mimring would rush in, go off like a bomb, and the PKx2 and Brunak would clean up. This later evolved into PK x2, Hyrda x2, which lacks the Mimring bomb but more than makes up for it with the beefy attacks of the hydras. Anyway, on to the battle.

Jesse won initiative and (correctly) led off with Mimring, who managed to get close enough to fry a single TSA. My teammate, Jesse’s little brother, switched around our order markers while I wasn’t looking and I think we ended up with our 1 on the archers instead of the Kozuke, where I had put it. I believe we didn’t take down Mimring until KA got to him in Round 2, by which time Mimring had done tremendous damage. “I fryalated half their guys,” quoth Jesse.

The scattered remnants of the Einar army were no match for the stealth flying PK’s, who always had height and were just too tough and too many for the few units we had left. Brunak watched the whole thing from the start zone.

Meanwhile, on the other map…

KidScaper was using the Utgar army he eventually brought to the tournament:
Stingers x3
Marro Warriors
Me Burq Sa
Krug

His opponent had a Jandar army KidScaper had thrown together. As I recall it included:
Nilfheim
Knights of Weston x1
Greater Ice Elemental
And maybe something else. I don’t remember.

KidScaper hit that army like a truck.

On to the championship:

KidScaper –
Stingers x3
Marro Warriors
Me Burq Sa
Krug

Jesse –
Mimring
Phantom Knights x2
Brunak

Mimring again drew first blood, I think taking down one Marro Warrior. The Stingers responded by tearing Mimring into little dragon-pieces, exposing the weakness in the army I’d built & Jesse was using – if the Mimring bomb does not go off properly, trouble follows.

The PK’s crested the ridge soon after and did quite a bit of damage to the Stingers before KidScaper started chasing them around with Krug. Jesse, unfamiliar with the D1 units, chose to try to bring down Krug. Given control of his units I probably would have danced away from him & continued to hunt Stingers, but we were not playing in a point-counting format and I don’t think it would have changed the result. Krug took a few wounds and was strong enough to dispose of the remaining Phantom Knights.

Brunak was still alive and he came stomping up the hill, where he was encounted by Krug and the various remaining Marro. I'm a fan of Brunak but he was way overmatched, and down he went.

And that, to coin a phrase, is the rest of the story.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; April 7th, 2010 at 03:00 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports