Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old June 10th, 2017, 12:38 PM

Piratebunny is surprisingly tart
Smile Storage of old sets? (Without original box)

Restore question and how to Storage it questions

So I have recently come across a master set in a garage sale when I was visiting the east coast it was kept in a garage and it's a full and complete set. The figures are in good condition some weapons are a little bent but nothing that can't be fixed. Unfortunately the original box was gone and all the her tiles seem to be very brittle clipping them together is almost dangerous and taking them apart is even more so. I have already had several single and double hex tiles shatter into pieces while trying to take them apart from other hex tiles. Anyone know how to restore plastic like this. I was thinking maybe a little bit of a heat gun and let it slowly cool. I already washed all the pieces in warm to hot water and that eliminated all the warping damage to some of the larger hex tiles. But they are so brittle still. And I would like to see anyone's storage solutions for larger collections as mine is growing and I would like to store it better. Maybe hard plastic cases but not really sure what options I should look for.
Old June 10th, 2017, 01:40 PM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Storage of old sets? (Without original box)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piratebunny View Post
Restore question and how to Storage it questions

So I have recently come across a master set in a garage sale when I was visiting the east coast it was kept in a garage and it's a full and complete set. The figures are in good condition some weapons are a little bent but nothing that can't be fixed. Unfortunately the original box was gone and all the her tiles seem to be very brittle clipping them together is almost dangerous and taking them apart is even more so. I have already had several single and double hex tiles shatter into pieces while trying to take them apart from other hex tiles. Anyone know how to restore plastic like this. I was thinking maybe a little bit of a heat gun and let it slowly cool. I already washed all the pieces in warm to hot water and that eliminated all the warping damage to some of the larger hex tiles. But they are so brittle still. And I would like to see anyone's storage solutions for larger collections as mine is growing and I would like to store it better. Maybe hard plastic cases but not really sure what options I should look for.
It sounds like they were exposed to UV (probably sunlight). That's the only thing I've seen cause the pieces to become brittle like you describe. I don't really know if that is recoverable. Pretty sure not though - UV tends to break the long-chain polymers of the plastic into short pieces (thus no resilience).

As to storage, since my pieces are not brittle, I just bag the small pieces in gallon ziplock bags by type (1-hex grass, 2-hex grass, etc.) and keep them in a plastic bin with the larger pieces (7- & 24-hex) stacked beneath them. I use plastic tackle-box-type plastic cases for the smaller figures and a briefcase for the large figures. The cards fit nicely into CD inserts for binders.

Good luck and hope to play with you some time. Follow local goings-on here:
Nor-Cal Directory

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread

Last edited by cmgames; June 11th, 2017 at 03:22 PM.
Old July 1st, 2017, 09:38 AM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I don't know of any fixes for the brittleness, but you can glue pieces back together, depending on the break. They tend to hold together after that.

There may be a way to reinforce the tile, but since none of my tiles are especially brittle (and those that are break in a similar way), I haven't attempted anything. Maybe a layer of clear coat. Hmm.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 1st, 2017, 10:26 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
I don't know of any fixes for the brittleness, but you can glue pieces back together, depending on the break. They tend to hold together after that.

There may be a way to reinforce the tile, but since none of my tiles are especially brittle (and those that are break in a similar way), I haven't attempted anything. Maybe a layer of clear coat. Hmm.
If you get too thick with any kind of spray paint or clear coat it will affect how your tiles hold together and might possibly break them that way when pulling them apart. I'm speaking from experience on this sadly.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old July 1st, 2017, 02:36 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post

If you get too thick with any kind of spray paint or clear coat it will affect how your tiles hold together and might possibly break them that way when pulling them apart. I'm speaking from experience on this sadly.
Poop. But at the very least, some of them would still be salvageable. Even if you were forced to keep some tiles put together, they are still usable in a sense.

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 5th, 2017, 09:45 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Mine are starting to get a little brittle. We're good for about one broken tile per tournament now, normally during map disassembly. They glue back together pretty well, but it pains me that I have to do it.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old July 8th, 2017, 12:17 PM

CanScape has disabled reputation

I think the plastic getting brittle is something that we're going to have more and more of as the sets get older. You have to be very careful disassembling the maps...lately, much more so than the past. Some sets are more susceptible to this than others, I find. I've only chipped on 2 hex piece, tried to use crazy glue to fix it, made a mess, let it dry and found that the overall integrity of the piece is compromised...I could literally snap it in half if I wanted to. For the record, none of my tiles have seen anything other than indoor light (stored away from windows, all that stuff). I've also noticed some of the snow tiles taking on a slightly yellow shade...nothing too noticeable, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

The maps were probably not designed to last more than a decade without some kind of degradation...most toys exhibit this as they get older. No reason for alarm bells, but it's a good practice to handle with care. It's not like we can rush out to Walmart or TRU anymore to get another master set.
Old February 1st, 2018, 11:25 PM

Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker

Well lets see I have snapped 2 tiles and have been seeing an issue getting tiles apart, and i'm going to try adding Graphite to the sides of my tiles next time I do a build ..it should keep them from sticking and it is dry ( Note that all my tiles were ink-washed on their sides years ago ) Also most of my tiles have never seen sunlight as well.

ALL ARE ONE
Old May 26th, 2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-IVD View Post
Well lets see I have snapped 2 tiles and have been seeing an issue getting tiles apart, and i'm going to try adding Graphite to the sides of my tiles next time I do a build ..it should keep them from sticking and it is dry ( Note that all my tiles were ink-washed on their sides years ago ) Also most of my tiles have never seen sunlight as well.
What do you mean by ink washed?
Old May 26th, 2020, 05:01 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@Piratebunny welcome back after 3 years. Ink-washed means you dip it in watered down paint to give a nice finish look - sometimes this makes the plastic more protected and other times less, or it makes them stick together more. As far as protecting, not mush you can do besides glue when they break and be careful when you attach and unattach.
Old May 26th, 2020, 06:35 PM

Thank you for the info. Yes it’s been awhile again. I ended up moving and in SoCal now. Finally opened up my crate of Hero scape and played a game with some family this past weekend. It sparked my desire to complete my collection of heroscape.
Old July 22nd, 2020, 10:30 PM

CanScape has disabled reputation

With the tiles getting more and more brittle, I think that perhaps a wooden solution could be made. Same size, thickness...has anybody tried? My tiles are doing ok but that's because I'm not using then as much these days.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion