Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software
Software Software created for enhancing HeroScape

Old August 12th, 2015, 08:03 PM

EthanB is surprisingly tart
Re: Heroscape with HexScape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrgard View Post
So... yeah, to use any 3D model with an .obj format, you need to create a folder "heroscape", inside it create a folder "3dObjects" and another "cards". inside them create the folder for you 3D model and cards. Zip thez heroscape folder, rename it from .zip to .hsd, and import it into HexScape.
Ok lets say I make this happen. How do I make an .hsa file to put a fig on the map?
Old August 12th, 2015, 10:46 PM

SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
Quote:
So... yeah, to use any 3D model with an .obj format, you need to create a folder "heroscape", inside it create a folder "3dObjects" and another "cards". inside them create the folder for you 3D model and cards. Zip thez heroscape folder, rename it from .zip to .hsd, and import it into HexScape.
Ok lets say I make this happen. How do I make an .hsa file to put a fig on the map?
hsa files just contain a list of figure names. So, let's say you make a custom figure called DaBoss. After you go through the steps that Lyrgard described earlier, you would open notepad, type in "DaBoss," and save the file as something like Army.hsa.

Normally, hsa files are created by SpukeBoy's army creation tool, but that obviously wouldn't have a figure you created yourself.

Hope that helps.

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."
Old August 12th, 2015, 11:51 PM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipperySlope View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanB View Post
Quote:
hsa files just contain a list of figure names. So, let's say you make a custom figure called DaBoss. After you go through the steps that Lyrgard described earlier, you would open notepad, type in "DaBoss," and save the file as something like Army.hsa.

Normally, hsa files are created by SpukeBoy's army creation tool, but that obviously wouldn't have a figure you created yourself.

Hope that helps.
To be a little more specific, .hsa files are just text file renamed .hsa
They contains the list of the army cards composing the army, one per line
If your custom army card id is ethanB_DaBoss, that's what you'd put in the .hsa file.
If you want this army card three time, just put "3x ethanB_DaBoss" instead.
Old August 13th, 2015, 12:02 AM

Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Lyrgard is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance View Post
I understand the reasoning behind switching to only one model per squad to maintain momentum, but are you hoping to come back to these figures at any point in the future? Or is there some other reasoning in addition to speed, i.e. are you deliberately picking the figure that scans the best in 123d catch?

I was just thinking that those who have offered 3D scanning support would be best directed to models that are proving the most difficult to capture using photogrammetry methods.

On another note, I assume people still have permission to use the assets for the new waves in another application (I saw references to CC BY-NC-SA licensing at some point, hopefully this is still the case).
The main reasoning behind it is speed, indeed. Figures of the same squad generally has the same degree of difficulty to get right with photogrametry. If someone with a 3d scanner was to join us, we'd ask him to continue this way till all classic figures are done, then switch to completing squad with the others figures.

Yes, you may uses the 3d models anyway you like. We do this work for the community. If a better way than Hexscape arises to play online 3d heroscape game, I'd be happy because it'd be good for the community.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 10:51 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

What will it take to add buildings into the mix?

Will you need scans or can they be made virtually?

You use VS to create the map to import correct and then the rest is through HexScape?

Thank you. Very impressive work so far. Replay would be really nice.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:05 AM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

Buildings can be created in any CAD program. They need to be saved as .obj files.
Old August 22nd, 2015, 11:42 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

That sounds simple enough. And then they just drop in?
Thank you!

- Eslo Rudkey
Old August 22nd, 2015, 08:22 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

As obstacles like trees it should be easy. But if you want buildings that figures can be placed on it is a different story. I'm sure it can be done, but I don't know how.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:21 AM

SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker SlipperySlope knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
That sounds simple enough. And then they just drop in?
Thank you!
Seems to me it would be a three-stage process. Step one, create the asset.

Step two, add it to VirtualScape (or another map-making program) and tell the program how to use the object. I haven't messed around with VirtualScape, so I don't know how complicated that would be. Looking at the files, though, the objects are in sgl format with bmp textures.

Step 3, after exporting the map file, you would add the asset to HexScape. Lyrgard could tell you how to do that.

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission."
Old August 23rd, 2015, 10:48 AM

Thank you. I do not want to get to far ahead here. I just wanted to know if it could be done to pass that on to the powers that be in C3G.

- Eslo Rudkey
Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:18 PM

Concerning custom buildings :

The main problem is that VirtualScape does not support them, and VirtualScape's dev stoped working on it. More than just custom building, I find it a problem to depend on a software that is no more maintained to povide maps (the problem is somewhat alleviated by the fact that no new decors are released, obviously, but still) (Oh, and don't understand me wrong, VirtualScape is a WONDERFULL software, and the community wouldn't be what it is now without it !!)

So, there is 3 options for custom buildings :
1) Someone take over VirtualScape and improve it to include custom building
2) Someone create a new software to create virtual map, that include custom decors, and I add the code to read that format (as I did for VirtualScape)
3) I create a map editor into HexScape / I create a separate software to create map.

Option 3 is the one that would give me the more flexibility, but it is also the biggest work for me, so I don't know when I could be able to do that.

Whatever the solution, it would need to have a notion of space where the figures can stand on the decors, especially for custom buildings. Currently, in HexScape, I manage that by having transparent hex tiles (I use it mainly for the ladders, when I read a ladder piece from the VirtualScape file, I also add a transparent hex so the figure can stand on it. So any custome building would just need to have a 3d models and the coordinate of transparent hex tiles for the figure to stand on.)

So, in short, adding custom building in HexScape is easy, as long as there is a software to create map with custom decors. As far as I know, this software does not exist yet. The easiest and quickest way to do it would be to add custom decors and invisible tiles into VirtualScape. I won't take over VirtualScape developpement, mainly because I already have my hands full with HexScape, because VistualScape is in C++ and it is not my usual language, and because it binds to windows libraries, and I don't have any computer on windows at home.

Disregarding HexScape, it seems there is a growing concern about VirtualScape, with recent graphical cards, and perhaps with Windows 10. So it would be really good if someone could take VirtualScape over !
@SlipperySlope : yes, the 3d models are in sgl format, with bmp texture. SGL is a custom format created by VirtualScape creator. VirtualScape sources include a software to create file in sgl format from another format.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 01:49 PM

That is not encouraging. I know C3G contacted the programmer for VS and he sounded willing to help but no one knew how to talk to him on a programmer level.
Thank you very much.

- Eslo Rudkey

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Software