Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 17th, 2011, 06:41 PM

General Collectibles is surprisingly tart
Prices of Old Heroscape Figures to Rise?!

Just a speculation but I think all the figures from the rare sets will go even higher on eBay. And this sucks because I have been trying to get the entire collection of Heroscape for a couple of years now without breaking my bank.

I kind of regret not spending an extra $50.00 on a bid for the full Flag Bearer's Set for $200.00 a year and a half ago. Now I can see them going at $300.00 opened!

So what do you think? Will these hard-to-find 'Scape figures rise dramatically, slowly, or remain the same in price?

Either way I will continue my quest to get every single Heroscape figure out there.

I am also thinking about branching out into customs. I might even do some reviews on customs if they hold my interest. But I would like to know your opinion on the prices of official Heroscape and customs.

General Collectibles - A blog dedicated to Gaming!
www.generalcollectibles.com
Old January 17th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation
Re: Prices of Old Heroscape Figures to Rise?!

I think that they will rise quickly at first, and then slow down. A while after, when people are loosing interest, the prices will probably drop quite a bit.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:01 PM

InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker InfraredFog knows what's in an order marker

@Fen_Hydra This is what a lot of people guess will happen. I haven't been around too many games like this before, but is this usually how it goes with games that go out of print? Just curious if there's any historical data to back that up.
Old January 17th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Bot Bloodhound

Fen_Hydra has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraredFog View Post
@Fen_Hydra This is what a lot of people guess will happen. I haven't been around too many games like this before, but is this usually how it goes with games that go out of print? Just curious if there's any historical data to back that up.
I'm just guessing, based on other people's opinions and what my dad mentioned when I told him about the cancellation... I'll ask him if he has any first-hand experience about anything like this.
Old January 17th, 2011, 08:02 PM

General Collectibles is surprisingly tart

If this happens then it would be the best thing that'll happen for Heroscapers other than maybe a return of Heroscape. It could potentially happen. I think patience will be a virtue.

General Collectibles - A blog dedicated to Gaming!
www.generalcollectibles.com
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:08 PM

ToyotaGT1 is surprisingly tart

I think it depends on availability as well. What I mean is, yes the game is now out of print, but the flag bearers and large expansion sets have been out of print for years already.

I dont know if suddenly the entire game going out of print will raise them that much. However, I feel that if someone has rare heroscape items like...unless they are looking to invest on their items...I dont see many people wanting to sell rare items...which in turn will lower the availability and drive the price thru the stratosphere....
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:57 PM
SLAYER OF GRUNGEBOB

Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Tmac2200 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well, the way I see it is:

Now, D1-3 is widely available. A few years pass, and nothing is widely available. A few more years pass, a new company gets the licence minus the DnD waves and reprints classic waves. A couple more years and new players see the DnD waves and want them, making them as rare and expensive as wave 4 is now. So by my logic I have bought 4-5 of each common set from DnD, and 4 MS3s. Just to be safe.

Heroscape is back! WOOOOO!
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:02 PM

The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker The Deadliest Warrior knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
I think that they will rise quickly at first, and then slow down. A while after, when people are loosing interest, the prices will probably drop quite a bit.
I sure hope so, for my collection's sake and for mine. I was one of the fortunate people who could start collecting early before *shudders* I don't want to talk about it.

'My dog's got no nose.'
"How does it smell?"
'Terrible.'
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:49 PM
Seeker of the Last Word

RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness RobertDD wears ripped pants of awesomeness

For figures I suspect the predicted rise and fall. It was still worth it to me to pick up my missing wave 4 commons to complete my collection. Terrain is a different story. I suspect you better hold on to what you have, as I see those prices sky rocketing. There's nothing like it out there, and it can be used in many current games to replace uninspired paper maps with hex grids.

Look on ebay what some older modular terrain systems go for (not HS) that are now OOP and you will be shocked. And the HeroScape system beats all of them!

They are done! Version 1.00 is out: Books of HeroScape in pdf format
Old January 23rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fen_Hydra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfraredFog View Post
I'm just guessing, based on other people's opinions and what my dad mentioned when I told him about the cancellation... I'll ask him if he has any first-hand experience about anything like this.
I can throw my $.02 into this.

Traditionally, when a game goes out of print the prices will rise for a little bit, maybe a few months, maybe a year, and then it will drop rapidly. The biggest factor was/is the fan base, and if it'll have some sort of market afterwords to collectors or continuing tournament base.

For instance, Decipher's Star Wars and Lord of the Rings games are both out of print. Star Wars traditionally goes for a lot more than Lord of the Rings in terms of singles, packs, and boxes. This is because, as we all know, Star Wars has a huge fan base that will continue to collect these cards. The most powerful cards in the game, and the sets who which weren't vastly printed also go for a pretty penny (some boxes are over $200, some cards well over $20-50). Now, in comparison, Lord of the Rings doesn't have as large of a fan base who will continue to collect the cards/game. Yes, some sets and cards go for quite a bit, but it's not unheard of to buy an unopened box of cards for under $10. For a game such as VS, a game who had a large player base, and hypothetical large collector base (comic book collectors usually don't go for this stuff), this game is in the Lord of the Rings category sadly. Prices fluctuate, and it's not unheard of to get boxes for very, very cheap.

For smaller games, ones who didn't have as large of a game base as Star Wars or Lord of the Rings did (both had very large tournament scenes when they were in print, much, much bigger than Heroscape), say the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TCG as an example, their prices plummet. Cards and unopened boxes of this game are under $10. The same goes for Duel Masters. This is most likely where Heroscape will fit. The tournament/player base isn't as large as we'd like to think. Yes, GenCon tournaments get a large turn out, but look at games such as the World of Warcraft, Magic the Gathering, Warhammer, etc, etc, at large tournaments they get hundreds of players at numerous events.

I can predict this for Heroscape. Initially, prices will rise because people will have a "I need to finish my collection" mentality. Slowly, as what is available in stores dries up (I can still find it here and there in places), tournament scenes will dry up (not initially of course). When the tournament scenes dry up, players will start losing interest. What's the point of playing/having a game if there's no one to play against? Collections will go on Ebay, and prices will fall dramatically. The special sets, like the Flagbearers and the Ice Terrain/Lava Terrain will maintain a high price, and possibly Win Chu Wu...but the others will plummet. Terrain, like the stuff from master sets, will be super cheap...there's just too much of it out there.

This is all under the assumption that the game will not be printed by another company. If another company decides/gets the license to print Heroscape....it will truly depend on the license the company receives. When Nintendo reacquired the Pokemon TCG from Wizards, all of the cards Wizard's printed were "banned" from play. Only cards printed by Nintendo were allowed for play in sanctioned events. Because of this, the prices of these cards plummeted. If Hasbro and Wizards keeps the license to the figures they produced, and if the company decides to run some sort of tournament program, then most likely it will mean those figures Hasbro/Wizards produced will be banned. This will mean prices will fall. If they allow Hasbro/Wizards figures, and depending on how long it will take them to produce (no matter what people think, this is not a quick process....it might be years before we see new figures), then they may rise, but stabilize eventually.

All in all, don't expect to get rich off of this game since it's no longer being produced. The prices will most likely fall, or plummet I should say, like every game before.

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-
Old January 23rd, 2011, 05:22 PM

MikeR is surprisingly tart

While I wish I could agree Hasbro (Milton Bradley) made and sold a game called Heroquest many years ago, when it went out ot print the expansions shot up in price just like Heroscape has done, and now many years later the prices are still as high, sets that cost $24.95 back in the day now sell for $300 easily.

My current trade list -http://www.heroscapers.com/community...postcount=8322

Good Trans with JohhnyLama, JackBeck, Porkins, beisac, Kepler, phil413ican, mikelizzo, Generalgina
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:43 PM
The New York Yankees are the greatest baseball team ever!

Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby! Mombo101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
While I wish I could agree Hasbro (Milton Bradley) made and sold a game called Heroquest many years ago, when it went out ot print the expansions shot up in price just like Heroscape has done, and now many years later the prices are still as high, sets that cost $24.95 back in the day now sell for $300 easily.
HeroQuest was a board game though, not a collectible game such as Heroscape

The cake is a lie.

-Insert Witty Signature Here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion