Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs
HoME Customs A place for Heroes of Middle Earth Customs

Notices

Old May 29th, 2020, 12:54 AM

Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The Workbook of Uruk Hai (Saruman's)

Reserved
Old May 29th, 2020, 12:55 AM

Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness Splash wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: The Workbook of Uruk Hai (Saruman's)

Reserved for tracking.
Old May 29th, 2020, 01:06 AM

The tale thus far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftrex View Post
Quote:
NAME = Uruk-hai Scouts

GENERAL = UTGAR
UNIQUENESS = Common Squad (4 figures)
CLASS = Scout
PERSONALITY = Menacing/Merciless/Relentless (just other ideas than wild)
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 100

(Possible powers)

ISENGARDERS
When an Uruk-hai Scout rolls an attack against a human figure, blanks count as skulls.

SARUMAN'S WILL
If an Uruk-hai Scout ends its normal movement unengaged you may move each Uruk-hai scout up to 2 additional spaces as long as they do not end their movement adjacent to enemy figures.

FIND THE HALFLINGS/CAPTURE
Before moving an Uruk-hai Scout, choose a small enemy figure adjacent to him. After you move the Uruk-hai scout, place the chosen figure adjacent to that Uruk-hai scout. A figure that has been moved with CAPTURE never takes leaving engagement strikes.

----------------------

Just some spitballed powers here since the first Uruk-hai up to bat for designs would be the party that killed Boromir and snatched up the hobbits. From the research I've been looking at, the party that we see in the Fellowship were classified as scouts led by Ugluk. I think it'd be cool to have some thematic powers identifying them as a specific type of Uruk-hai in addition to their class as a scout.

There is supposed to be a distinction between Uruk-hai that were made by Saruman in the third age which were called Isengarders and the ones from Mordor that were called Black Uruks or Mordor Uruks. Maybe I'm not taking them in the right direction but I think all the Uruk-hai that have the symbol of the white hand should have an ability called ISENGARDERS to identify that piece of their lore if it's possible. Helps break them up further if that's something we are interested in since we are separating Moria Orcs from their Mordor counterparts with the Cave Dweller ability.

The statline puts these guys as even with Heavy Gruts, I was hesitant to put more attack or defense on them because I was going for scouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splash View Post
Could name the card or the ability White Hand Uruk Hai. And the others Uruk Hai Of Mordor. Also using the blanks is an amazing idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Perkins View Post
Regarding blanks as skulls, without height thats the same expected value as just giving them 4 attack (4*0.5 = 2 = 3*(2/3)). It only makes a difference when they gain height, as then their 4 attack is slightly stronger than 5 without the power. Not necessarily an argument for or against, just an observation.

I do think there's a potential issue with dice though. This power means you cannot use the red/blue dice from Ms1 version 1 with this card on attacks (previously only true for flagbearer powers i think). Not necessarily a show stopper but worth thinking about.
Quote:
Regarding blanks as skulls, without height thats the same expected value as just giving them 4 attack (4*0.5 = 2 = 3*(2/3)). It only makes a difference when they gain height, as then their 4 attack is slightly stronger than 5 without the power. Not necessarily an argument for or against, just an observation.

I do think there's a potential issue with dice though. This power means you cannot use the red/blue dice from Ms1 version 1 with this card on attacks (previously only true for flagbearer powers i think). Not necessarily a show stopper but worth thinking about.

Went with Chris' suggestion to move the conversation over to Brainstorming, it probably does belong over here. I just get caught up replying to stuff where it is.

Also, in response to the power that uses blanks. I wouldn't be opposed to calling it the White Hand because that's what I was going for. I wanted something across the board that could be placed on Isenguard Uruks to identify them with good old Saruman. Can easily be reworded if we don't like using the white blanks on common dice as an identifier or the wording can just be changed to be dice inclusive so we get the effect of the "miss" being a skull:

ISENGARDERS/THE WHITE HAND
When an Uruk-hai Scout rolls an attack against a human figure, anything except a shield counts as a skull. (not sure if the "miss" on a die is an actual term to reference)

OR

When an Uruk-hai Scout rolls an attack dice against a human, add one additional die (this is simple but that's not a bad thing as a movie quote was that the Isenguard Uruk's were bred with a single purpose, to destroy the world of men.)

It'd be cool if we could get to a spot where the "boost" and the movement power were both useable on these guys because it does have a "scouty" feel to it and the theme is fun because it shouldn't allow them to attack as written but rather to position.

I'm fine relegating capture to a scenario power but I do want to point out if you read it that the concern that you voiced (Chris) does not exist. You can't "capture" your own goblin or small figure to bring along with you because the power is not carry. It only works on enemy figures.
Quote:
Quote:
I like the addition of Uruk Scouts as a general concept, having more versions of the 'core bad' squad is a good thing I think.

That being said, I think the main difference between the 'scouts' and 'normal' Sauroman Uruks should be that the Scouts have a lower attack and the 'normal' ones do not have any form of the 'carry' power (whatever it ends up being). So the scouts become the 'tactical rearrangement' squad (maybe this should even be a unique squad? worth thinking about) and the 'normal' Uruks become the 'heavy attack' squad.

Also worth discussing if the scouts should be 3 or 4 person squad. If common, I'm leaning toward 3 to make the distinction bigger but should be 4 if unique.

For Carry - how about allowing them to carry any small, non-orc figure. Seems more thematic (Uruks would never have carried an orc) but allows some interesting army choice where maybe you put scouts & Merry/Pippin in the same build for synergy.

I also like the idea of them sharing some kind of 'White Hand' power; no idea what it should be yet though.
Those are pretty dope suggestions, that means they could look something like...

NAME = Uruk-hai Scouts

GENERAL = UTGAR
UNIQUENESS = Common Squad (at 3 figures) or Unique Squad (at 4 figures)
CLASS = Scout
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 100

(Possible powers)

ISENGARDERS
When an Uruk-hai Scout rolls an attack against a human figure, anything that isn't a shield counts as a skull.

SARUMAN'S WILL
If an Uruk-hai Scout ends its normal movement unengaged you may move each Uruk-hai scout up to 2 additional spaces as long as they do not end their movement adjacent to enemy figures.

CARRY/FIND THE HALFLINGS/CAPTURE
Before moving an Uruk-hai Scout, choose a small non-Orc figure adjacent to him. After you move the Uruk-hai scout, place the chosen figure adjacent to that Uruk-hai scout. A figure that has been moved with CAPTURE never takes leaving engagement strikes.

-------------

We might be able to get away with slightly more focused/complex figures if we move these guys to unique squads and at 100 points they wouldn't be overwhelming I don't think. Their stats make them straight up weaker than Heavies if comparing point values and just numbers, the abilities seem comparable in my mind to make them similar in value. If we went the route of Unique squad we would need to keep the Viking spirits in mind which would be a cool way to play, don't know if that's the useability we want though.

Additionally, one of these powers could be dropped and added onto Ugluk as his "empowerment" but I would say that I want the ISENGARDERS/WHITE HAND ability to stay, though it can definitely change in scope. It's a touch decision because these guys should be made to be supplemented by Ugluk, so they can't be too amazing by themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I don't want to refer to "blanks" in special powers, nor to faces that don't show shields/skulls.

I like the idea of +1 attack against humans as a White Hand power. That's a decent power that works against a lot of great figures.

What if we just use TRACKING instead of Saruman's Will?

What about reusing Brontos's ABDUCT but only for small non-orc figures? I am fine with calling it FIND THE HALFLINGS
Quote:
The more I think about it the more I like these guys as a Unique squad. From a thematic standpoint, there were like 100-200 of them in the party that attacked the fellowship, compared with ~ 10,000 Uruk heavy warriors at the Hornburg.

Also, I think we can do some cooler powers if they're unique. And the 'moving other figures' thing isn't something you'll want a ton of in your army anyways, so from a competition standpoint it works as unique also.
Quote:
A possible change to 'Carry/Capture':

Capture
Before moving each Uruk-hai Scout, you may choose any opponent's small, non-Orc figure adjacent to him. After you move the Uruk-hai scout, place the chosen figure adjacent to that Uruk-hai scout. That figure may not move or be moved by any power while it remains adjacent to that Uruk-hai scout unless that scout has used capture to move another figure. A figure that has been moved with Capture never takes leaving engagement strikes.

This gives it a cyper-claw esc power, which I think fits since the Hobbits couldn't go anywhere once captured until the orc party was killed by Eomer's riders. It also makes them more powerful as a Unique Squad.
Quote:
I second Cap's idea of 'White Hand' being +1 attack against all men. I think that's a nice unifying thread that makes the power work better for any dice that are being used.

I also might want to reduce the scout's attack to 1 and leave the normal Uruk's attack at 3, then with the boost against men they are at 2 & 4 respectively.

(sorry for the triple-post)

Quote:
I also like the idea of them as a Unique Squad. I'm not sure about the Cyberclaw aspect; it could be more fiddly/complex than I'd like to see. I'll have to see it alongside everything else.
Quote:
So, current suggestions would make the look thusly

NAME = Uruk-hai Scouts

GENERAL = UTGAR
UNIQUENESS = Unique Squad (4 figures)
CLASS = Scout
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 100

(Possible powers)

ISENGARDERS/The White Hand
When an Uruk-hai Scout rolls an attack against a human figure add 1 additional attack die.

TRACKING

FIND THE HALFLINGS
Before moving Uruk-hai, choose a small or medium non-Orc figure adjacent to any scout. Uruk-hai Scouts do not take leaving engagement attacks from the chosen figure. After you move them, place the chosen figure adjacent to them on an unoccupied land space, if possible. A figure moved by Uruk-hai Scouts never takes any leaving engagement attacks. If Uruk-Hai attacks this turn, they must attack the Abducted figure.

-------------

I dont know the wording for tracking, dont own any figures that have it. What figure uses it? Also, the abduct power from Brontos seems to accomplish what we want here but I'd like to drop the requirement to attack the abducted quarry.

I'd vote against cyberclaw effects. I know it's a well known power but I personally hate being robbed of the choice to disengage. I think it's an unfun ability but that's just me.

Also, if we reduce their attack then they are on par/worse than orcs when attacking non humans. Is that a direction we want to go? I personally dont think they should be weaker than our own orcs vs nonhumans
Quote:
Quote:
I'd vote against cyberclaw effects. I know it's a well known power but I personally hate being robbed of the choice to disengage. I think it's an unfun ability but that's just me.
How many total small figures are we going to have though? Hobbits & Dwarves + Gollum, anything else? There aren't that many figures that could get 'cyberclawed' by this.

Quote:
Also, if we reduce their attack then they are on par/worse than orcs when attacking non humans. Is that a direction we want to go? I personally dont think they should be weaker than our own orcs vs nonhumans
That's fair, I'd say I'm convinced of a base '2' attack by that point.
Quote:
Quote:
So, current suggestions would make the look thusly

NAME = Uruk-hai Scouts

GENERAL = UTGAR
CLASS = Scout
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?
I am not sure about class of Scout, but I like this otherwise. We can circle back on personality.

Quote:
LIFE = 1
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 2
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 100
I think I prefer 3 attack since they are a Unique Squad.

Quote:
ISENGARDERS/The White Hand
When an Uruk-hai Scout rolls an attack against a human figure add 1 additional attack die.
I like this. Can we call it URUKS OF THE WHITE HAND?

Quote:
TRACKING
I dont know the wording for tracking, dont own any figures that have it. What figure uses it?
Yes. The Varkaanan Greyspears are a Unique Squad with this power.
TRACKING
While moving, the Uruk-Hai Scouts may add 2 to their Move number. If they do, the Uruk-Hai Scouts cannot attack this turn.
Quote:
FIND THE HALFLINGS
Before moving Uruk-hai, choose a small or medium non-Orc figure adjacent to any scout. Uruk-hai Scouts do not take leaving engagement attacks from the chosen figure. After you move them, place the chosen figure adjacent to them on an unoccupied land space, if possible. A figure moved by Uruk-hai Scouts never takes any leaving engagement attacks. If Uruk-Hai attacks this turn, they must attack the Abducted figure.

-------------

Also, the abduct power from Brontos seems to accomplish what we want here but I'd like to drop the requirement to attack the abducted quarry.

I agree about dropping the "attack" requirement; it doesn't make thematic sense here. I think Cyberclaw effects do have an interesting impact on the battlefield, so it's not a question of "fun" for me.

Quote:
As I said above, I prefer an attack of 3.

Quote:
Quote:
How many total small figures are we going to have though? Hobbits & Dwarves + Gollum, anything else? There aren't that many figures that could get 'cyberclawed' by this.
That's a fair point, but I am still concerned that adding that effect will make the power more complex than is worthwhile.
Quote:
So, do we have enough here to start a workbook on these guys then or is it too hasty?

I'm fine with either 2 or 3 attack, Uruks are strong. URUKS OF THE WHITE HAND seems like a long name but it has that cool flavor we are looking for. I wouldnt be opposed to see how it looks on a card.

Tracking is an awesome ability, very thematic here with their purpose. Is the dislike for the scout class mechanically based or from a lore/flavor perspective.
Quote:
This is how I feel about rerolling blanks.

Quote:
I don't want to refer to "blanks" in special powers, nor to faces that don't show shields/skulls.
Quote:
NAME = Uruk-hai Scouts

GENERAL = UTGAR
CLASS = Scout/Hunter/Tracker
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3/2
DEFENSE = 3
POINTS = 100

(Possible powers)

ISENGARDERS/URUKS OF THE WHITE HAND

TRACKING
While moving, the Uruk-Hai Scouts may add 2 to their Move number. If they do, the Uruk-Hai Scouts cannot attack this turn.

FIND THE HALFLINGS
Before moving Uruk-hai, choose a small or medium non-Orc figure adjacent to any scout. Uruk-hai Scouts do not take leaving engagement attacks from the chosen figure. After you move them, place the chosen figure adjacent to them on an unoccupied land space, if possible. A figure moved by Uruk-hai Scouts never takes any leaving engagement attacks.

So, this appears to be where we are at. There is still some thought going on about the White Hand ability, though we have opposition to referencing blanks... too customy of a feel I'm guessing? I have no feeling about it.

Scout us called into question as a class so I provided some alternatives but I'm not sure why scout wouldnt be their class, they are scouts. Seems like a simple connection to make.

The capture power looks good without the attack compulsion, focus is narrow and thematic.

Also, the attack power is still being discussed. These look mostly like details that a fellowship should work out. Should we do some talking on Ugluk next or are there still things we can figure out with the Urakhai scouts?
Quote:
Well we are calling them scouts in the name, so I guess I am fine with Scouts as the class. I just don't think of them as scouts rather than warriors. They seem to me more like warriors that happened to be filling the role of scouts rather than scouts being essentially who and what they are.

Let's have a look at Ugluk, yes?
Old May 29th, 2020, 01:12 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Splash again.
Thanks for taking care of this, Splash!

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old May 29th, 2020, 03:28 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Seconded, it's nice to have things laid out in one place. I like the scouting party and where we are going with them. Looks like one of the things we were discussing last was Attack dice at 2 or 3. Caps, you said that you preferred 3. Any special reason?
Old May 29th, 2020, 03:32 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I think the Uruk Hai should hit pretty hard

--
--
--

--
Old May 30th, 2020, 01:58 PM
Symbiotic

Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death! Ronin is hot lava death!

I'd think of them more as like hunters/raiders than scouts. Definitely like Relentless as the personality.

I like the Tracking effect here, but I'd be tempted to do a tweak on that to make it per-figure instead of the whole squad. (Like, if one of em can get into engagement in 5, he can still attack, but you might choose to move another 7)

On Find the Halflings, it's not really about "finding" so much as it is about carrying people around. It's an interesting power, but I feel like the main point of it will be to carry friendlies up or pull an enemy off height.
Old May 31st, 2020, 03:10 PM
Heroscapers Project Extraordinaire

White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death! White Knight is hot lava death!

I'm coming into the discussion late, but what about giving all Uruk-hai Double Attack? That would make them really hard-hitting.

Last edited by White Knight; May 31st, 2020 at 10:19 PM.
Old May 31st, 2020, 03:55 PM

Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Shiftrex is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
I coming into the discussion late, but what about giving all Uruk-hai Double Attack? That would make them really hard-hitting.
For the standard Uruks, yeah I'd be down. I'll draft something up
Old June 1st, 2020, 05:27 PM

NAME = Isengaurd Uruk-hai / Fighting Uruk-Hai

GENERAL = UTGAR
UNIQUENESS = Common Squad (4 figures)
CLASS = Warriors/Fighters/Brutes
PERSONALITY = Menacing/Merciless/Relentless/Wild
SIZE/HEIGHT = MEDIUM/5?

LIFE = 1
MOVE = 5
RANGE = 1
ATTACK = 3
DEFENSE = 4
POINTS = 120

(Possible powers)

ISENGARDERS/URUKS OF THE WHITE HAND

Double Attack
(If we have this does that lower our figure count to 3? Or do we implement a second attack on these figures through a d20 roll since we like that theme similar to a frenzy roll or a Stinger drain? Could name it Uruk fury or we could take inspiration from Brunak? Just ideas)

There is also the possibility of leaving them as high stats with just the White Hand ability. Or we could give the berserker charge. Thoughts?
Old June 8th, 2020, 02:29 PM

I'm not feeling Double Attack at all. Frenzy powers also don't feel right. I think we should dig around on lore and see what else we can come up with.

--
--
--

--
Old June 8th, 2020, 06:29 PM

Likewise, all I'm able to find on the Isengaurders is that they were a less grotesque breed of Uruk. Huge orcs, thick armor, some semblance of tactics that made them formidable.

They seem to have a track record of doing poorly vs cavalry charges and mounted units. No inherently magical abilities, just their expressed hate of men. They pack the traditional weakness to sunlight of course. In their own cultures they would be considered respected or high up due to their strength and ferocity.

The march from Isenguard to Helm's deep is a considerable distance that speaks to their stamina and fortitude.

Maybe an ability to express their abnormal toughness like the incindeborgs? Let them soak more than 1 hit as a figure and keep going from pure hate, fury or ferocity.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > HoME Customs