Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old April 20th, 2015, 11:56 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

We are now filling player spots for MEMOIR 44 D-DAY LANDINGS: OPERATION NEPTUNE here in NYC, to be played on Saturday June 6, 2015 at The Complete Strategist, 11 E. 33 St (between Fifth and Park Aves.) 12-6 PM.

This went well when we played it some months ago. The rules are available online, and we will have summaries at the event, which is set up the night before. If you are seriously interested, PM me ASAP with your personal email address, which will be sent to the event runner so he can include you in future emails.
Old April 20th, 2015, 12:35 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

@Jormi_Boced - Oh those SW:IA fig's look *A*W*E*S*O*M*E* !!! What kind of wash are you going to put on Han's face to make him look older (his current aged condition ~lol~ ). When can we come out to MN to play with your toys that are so much nicer than mine... haha.

@Lucace - I'm with you (totally envious of these beautiful creations). I wish I could paint a miniature PERIOD! I still have trouble trying to get a rock to look natural to use as custom HS terrain. Maybe I should stop using finger paints and try brushes, hehehe.

Anyway, last night we played ANOTHER one of our large (2 1/2 hr.) family "Carcassonne" sessions with many expansions and a few house rules added in. My wife took an early lead of up to 40 points ahead of us with several well placed monastery/cloister/shrines and held it for most of the game. Then we gradually caught up to her because she had three towns eventually merge into one gigantic city with 19 tiles, 3 followers, her builder, and a darn cathedral, which equals ZERO points if it does not finish. Even after I threw two end-caps her way - to produce an opportunity for someone to finish it and steal the King away from my stepson - she still needed ONE MORE tile to complete it. Those +66 points probably would have given her the victory, but it never happened and she came in last.

Meanwhile, my daughter-in-law, who is usually a very competitive player that wins more often than anyone else, was not on her game and complained about not getting the 'right' tiles to complete any of her ongoing projects. I bit my tongue in order not to laugh at her rising level of frustration. However it was sweeeet to see the shoe on another foot for a change. I think my favorite part of this game is not worrying about who wins or looses, but just playing along while sitting back to enjoy watching the Meta-Game (emotional and relational dynamics) between the other participants. The final scores were... Tom: 248, Me: 237, Brenda: 198, and Carol: 190.

Saturday I joined four other guys from a local War Gaming club that I recently joined (SJCW @ Yahoo Groups) to participate in a practice session of "BLUCHER" a revised edition of Le Grande Armie with 15 mm miniatures. Bill had also done a remarkable painting job on all of his miniatures, but there isn't much detail on such tiny (RISK-ish), metal figurines that are mounted 4 or 5 per base to represent entire Brigades.

John B. and I each commanded a Russian Corps and successfully held our ground in spite of heavy casualties on both sides against the two French Corps advancing against us controlled by Bill and Ted. I was concerned that our left flank would crumble and the line would be rolled up, but John B. brought in the Prussian reinforcements at that location and rescued it. It was only some bad dice rolls that prevented the Fr. Imperial Guards from reaching my position sooner, which lead Bill to brag that he would have evicted my elite Jaggers from the town (one of their objectives) on our right flank within two more rounds.

The methods they use for determining the number of d6's used in Attacking and Defending as well as whether it hits on a 4-5-6, 5&6 or only 6's and when to reroll the hits to confirm damages is still a mystery to me. Next time, I might wear my T-Shirt that says, "I'd rather be playing HeroScape" to see if there's any interest for that in this group. But I did glean some ideas for HS House Rules. &obtw: These same guys are planning to double the size of this battlefield and number of units to recreate actual events in 1809 at a local war gaming convention (NJcon) in a few weeks.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old April 20th, 2015, 12:56 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
We are now filling player spots for MEMOIR 44 D-DAY LANDINGS: OPERATION NEPTUNE here in NYC, to be played on Saturday June 6, 2015 at The Complete Strategist, 11 E. 33 St (between Fifth and Park Aves.) 12-6 PM.
WOW... this sounds very tempting ( but don't include me just yet, I've only played M'44 once and it was years ago ). Are the "Longest Day" and "Saving Private Ryan" going to be required viewing prior to this event? It would give me something to post on that other thread about What Movies I Watched Last Night. And what's the parking situation like in that neck of the 'woods' or should I leave my car at Port Authority and walk the twelve city blocks to the store?

A tank of gasoline for the 250 mile trip NYC and back again ........... $50
All the tolls for the trolls along the unexpected journey .................. $30
Estimated minimum parking garage fee in the Big Apple ................ $20
The gaming experience of a life time with the one and only Chas ..... PRICELESS!

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old April 20th, 2015, 01:26 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Thanks guys!

I think I will have to work on the hair and skin tone though, as it is supposed to be Han right after the destruction of the first death star

Also, if you are ever in MN, send me a note. You can definitely play with my toys.
Old April 20th, 2015, 01:51 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

JOHNGEE,

You could leave the car at PA and just take a cross town bus. Or you could take the subway; the S Shuttle over to Grand Central and then downtown on the 6 local to 33 St. It may sound complicated, but each ride would only take you five minutes each, and then you'd just have a two block walk. And you could stay overnight at my place for free if you like ($20 parking).

Chas
Old April 20th, 2015, 05:49 PM

rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness rudyvalentine wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyvalentine View Post

We kicked off our deduction themed evening with Batman Love Letter. It's everything it claims to be. Batman and Love Letter. If you like either of these things, you'll probably enjoy it. I don't feel it's really necessary if you already own Love Letter, but it was $7 and I do enjoy Batman and Love Letter, so it was hard to resist.

If anything, my original Love Letter cards are getting pretty worn, so this gets us a fresh set and allows us to change up the theme. And it has awesome little bat tokens. It was my children's first introduction to Love Letter and they enjoyed it.

You don't have your LL cards sleeved Rudy Being a deduction game, I made sure to sleeve the cards first thing. Didn't want marked cards giving away what card a player has or what is on the top of the deck. I had gotten the Tempest version of LL (in the red bag) when it first came out and the cards seemed that they would get marked easily after a few plays.

I have Batman Love Letter and really like that one too.

I also have The Hobbit Love Letter and just played it for the first time with my daughters. Plays a bit different than the others with the addition of the One Ring and having Legolas and Tauriel being different versions of the Baron/Bane. I had played Tauriel twice while having Smaug (1) in my hand (lowest card wins) and both times my one daughter also had Smaug so nothing happened.
Yeah, I'm not a card sleever. I like the broken-in look and feel of a well-loved card game, but that said if there's a game that needs sleeves it's, Love Letter. Being able to easily spot any of the cards would really kill the experience, but it hasn't happened to us yet with the Tempest edition after a lot of plays (I also have the red bag version).

I'd definitely do it if I could get 16 Batman sleeves for a couple bucks. Spending more money on sleeves than I spent on the game makes me not want to bother.
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:54 AM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Just out of curiosity because I haven't seen much posted lately, How many people that loved the Pathfinder card game still enjoy it? Did you need the expansions to keep the excitement?

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old April 21st, 2015, 11:00 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

I got Pathfinder for Christmas a year and a half ago. I wanted a Co-op game to play with the family. Pathfinder ACG wasn't what I was expecting nor hoping for. The gameplay isn't stellar. The fun is mostly in building up your character RPG style, which requires grinding through a bunch of missions that feel repeated, just with different names on the cards. The game is really intended to be played by a dedicated group that meets regularly to play through the missions together. It's not intended to casually play a mission every so often. This review on Miniature Market sums up exactly how I feel about the game.

If you're still interested, I'd be interested in selling it. I've got the original base game, Rise of the Runelords, (which also includes the first expansion deck) as well as the 2nd expansion deck.
Old April 21st, 2015, 01:06 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I still like it! But I haven't played it since moving probably for the reasons Porkins lays out here. When I play it, I want to make sure I have a dedicated group to grind through things.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 21st, 2015, 02:03 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
I got Pathfinder for Christmas a year and a half ago. I wanted a Co-op game to play with the family. Pathfinder ACG wasn't what I was expecting nor hoping for. The gameplay isn't stellar. The fun is mostly in building up your character RPG style, which requires grinding through a bunch of missions that feel repeated, just with different names on the cards. The game is really intended to be played by a dedicated group that meets regularly to play through the missions together. It's not intended to casually play a mission every so often. This review on Miniature Market sums up exactly how I feel about the game.

If you're still interested, I'd be interested in selling it. I've got the original base game, Rise of the Runelords, (which also includes the first expansion deck) as well as the 2nd expansion deck.
I'm on the lookout for a Co-op game to play with the family but because it did seem like a game where the fun was the build up I was curious if the staying power was there. Your info was very helpful so thanks but I think I may be leaning more away now.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old April 21st, 2015, 03:05 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post

I'm on the lookout for a Co-op game to play with the family but because it did seem like a game where the fun was the build up I was curious if the staying power was there. Your info was very helpful so thanks but I think I may be leaning more away now.
I love the game. I just finished Skulls and Shackles with my 10 yo daughter. I am in one other S&S campaign.

I finished 2 different RotR campaigns and am still currently doing 2 all with different game groups.

In fact my daughter and I just started RotR again with brand new characters a few days ago. We are looking forward to the new one coming out at the end of May.

Though I was an old school Final Fantasy and Diablo player and liked to grind through those games getting sweet loot and leveling up my characters. This has a very similar feel to me and I greatly enjoy that.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old April 21st, 2015, 03:23 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I'm on the lookout for a Co-op game to play with the family
I recommend Flashpoint. Everyone gets to be a firefighter, rescuing people (and pets) from a burning building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games