Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old August 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
540 Point NHSD Armies

"Tree Town Open 4" and "Hexes in Texas 4" are going with 540 armies this year. It's even been suggested (but not insisted) that other large tourneys do the same. Why? Well, partly for the sake of this thread!

Crunching some numbers over on Gary's site, I came up with something nasty:

Eyes-on-Guard (kind of like Isengard...get it?...ok that's why I don't name my armies...)
Warden 816 - 90
Zettian Guards - 90
Gurei-Oni - 100
3x Blastatrons - 180
1x Gladiatrons - 80
= 540
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!
Re: 540 Point NHSD Armies

I'm afraid a few tourneys will see this one:
Stingers x6 - 360
Major Q9

Based on Spider's recent success with Glads, Blasts, & Raelin, we'll probably also see this one:
Gladiatrons x2 - 160
Blastatrons x2 - 120 (280)
Q9 - 180 (460)
Raelin - 80 (or an extra squad of Glads) (540)

I personally think I might want to run something like this (if I could somehow get my grubby little mitts on a Skahen ):
Wolves of Badru x3 - 240
Khosumet - 75 (315)
Agent Skahen - 120 (435)
Krav Maga Agents - 100 (535)
Old August 20th, 2008, 09:03 PM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Gorillas
Nakitas
Krav
Skahen
Laglor

nah!

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old August 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Knights x 5 - 350
Alastair - 460
Raelin - 540

Mwahaha!!

Be ready IOWA!!

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old August 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Nilfheim - 185
Major Q9 - 180
Marro Warriors - 50
Deathreavers x3 - 120

Total = 535

Major Q9 - 180
Krav Maga Agents - 100
Laglor - 110
Raelin - 80
Zetacron - 60
Isamu / Otonashi - 10

Total = 540

Nilfheim - 185
10th Regiment x3 - 225
Marro Warriors - 50
Raelin - 80

Total = 540

Sonlen - 160
Deathreavers x2 - 80
Marro Stingers x5 - 300

Total = 540

Runa - 120
Minions x2 - 220
Airborne Elite - 110
Zetacron - 60
Marcu Esenwein - 20
Isamu / Otonashi - 10

Total = 540

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:16 AM
Colorblind Kid

southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby! southwest ninja rolls all skulls baby!

The I fear rats!

Agent Skahen 120
Nakita Agents 120
Krav Maga Agents 100
Microcorp Agents 100
Agent Carr 100

just played this last night and it absolutely rocked! dropped the Major in 1 turn.
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:28 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest ninja View Post
The I fear rats!

Agent Skahen 120
Nakita Agents 120
Krav Maga Agents 100
Microcorp Agents 100
Agent Carr 100

just played this last night and it absolutely rocked! dropped the Major in 1 turn.
Ya, Skahen+Nakitas + anything is a pretty great combo.
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:55 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I look forward to seeing people try to copy Spiders Blast/Glad builds because I'm willing to bet that most people (myself included) could draft the exact same army and still not play competitively with it.

That army takes a lot of strategy and expertise and practice to run effectively. It's not the kind of thing you print off the night before and just assume it's going to win games. I think the term Spider used in his GenCon report was "finesse" and that's the perfect word for it.

For my part, I'm leaning towards a Marro build, but I haven't gotten anywhere close to deciding what.

Old August 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
I look forward to seeing people try to copy Spiders Blast/Glad builds because I'm willing to bet that most people (myself included) could draft the exact same army and still not play competitively with it.

That army takes a lot of strategy and expertise and practice to run effectively. It's not the kind of thing you print off the night before and just assume it's going to win games. I think the term Spider used in his GenCon report was "finesse" and that's the perfect word for it.

For my part, I'm leaning towards a Marro build, but I haven't gotten anywhere close to deciding what.
Yeah, I played a similar army (3x G's, 2x B's, Isamu, Raelin) in a Win-a-Wave and the Deathwalker Jumpstart, and I went 1-1 and 2-1 respectively, for a total of 3-2. Going 9-0 with any army is hard. If you think that playing Heroscape competitively is all about the army, you've never played it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; August 21st, 2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:34 AM

wk4c knows what's in an order marker wk4c knows what's in an order marker

Shades x4 400
Ne-Gok-Sa 490
Me-Burq-Sa 540

Oh yes, I can see it now...bwahaha!

In all seriousness, though, I don't like the new point total. I mean, it makes it even more terribly hard to build a nice Grut Army, and it encourages more blandness like the 6x Stingers + Q9 mentioned earlier.

Quadraphonic(x2), Hilo-Scaper, SuperflyTNT

1-4/3-1/3-2/3-2
10-9 = 53% Win pct.
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by wk4c View Post
Shades x4 400
Ne-Gok-Sa 490
Me-Burq-Sa 540

Oh yes, I can see it now...bwahaha!

In all seriousness, though, I don't like the new point total. I mean, it makes it even more terribly hard to build a nice Grut Army, and it encourages more blandness like the 6x Stingers + Q9 mentioned earlier.
I think you'd see that no matter what the point total was unless you set up the format to specifically prohibit the use for those units.

Old August 21st, 2008, 11:57 AM

I have to say those 5x and 6x builds are also the least interesting or impressive to me. But there's a lot you can do with that extra 40 points that you couldn't do with 500, especially with the uniques.

Wk, I don't see any way to limit those squadscape builds other than specifically creating a rule against it and no one wants to do that.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion